Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extreme Detecting between storms of the decades OR Testing the 15" Equinox Coil on the Spanish Trail thumbs down

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just returned home from a crazy road-trip. We had a work event in Las Vegas last week, and we had some equipment to haul in.The company said they'd pay my gas, so I decided to drive it, and take a few extra days off and go to one of my old Spanish trail sites to detect on my way home. What a trip it turned out to be!

Snow blizzard on the way to Vegas. Then from Vegas to California, was one of the worst rain storms in like 50 years...I was out on a little two lane, twisty, curvy road that routes you though the mountains and it started out as just small oozes of mud filling areas of the road, or wet slicks as water filled the roads, but as I progressed higher into the mountains, it was progressively worsening, now small streams and creeks and boulders were taking over the road, then massive mud slides onto the roads.

The road would worsen. The roads were washed out and flooded with white water rivers now taking over, filling the road with a debris field of rocks, small trees and brush, and tons of sand. One one occasion I was blasting through what amounted to a massive river flowing across the road, and while trying to blast though it a massive sand bar under the water attempted to trap the car, but luckily the FJ is a very capable off road vehicle, and it was able to make it though this and many more obstacles to come. So after all this, I get to my destination and the motel had canceled everyone's reservations because they had no water or power. Great, now I'm out in the middle of BFE with no place to stay and I'm not driving back through raging water flash floods. I ended up spending the night in my FJ Cruiser in the middle of the desert. It was a weird night, to be made even more strange by the fact that the only radio station I could pick up out there was playing Indian chants all night - LOL

Between storms, I managed to get in a day of detecting, but with an even larger storm system nipping at my heals, I decided to head back before it hit the fan!

I managed a good day testing the 15" Equinox coil at a site that's been stingy lately. Tom and I hunted it the last time we were there, and neither of us dug a single coin, but for whatever reason the Equinox lit it up thumbs down

Enjoy!

Flickr account is buggered up, else I'd post a still pic, but here's the video:

[youtu.be]

GL&HH
Cal
The Spanish Trail thumbs down
February 19, 2019 12:08AM
Nice bunch of Silver thumbs down

Guess you need to keep a life jacket in the FJ.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: The Spanish Trail thumbs down
February 19, 2019 12:20AM
Hey, that wasn’t a good hunt, it was a GREAT hunt!

Those Seated SF dimes are really cool!

WTG!

Aaron
Congrats Brian, those are some great finds.-----Glad you made it back ok with the weather being as it was.------Del
Really fine hunt, Brian. 3 Seated hunts are kind of rare....at least for me anyway.That was an adventure getting there, but since it all worked out, worth it.HH jim tn
Great hunt. I have to give you credit. I believe that was the first pic of a cow peeing in a detecting video for me. Crazy weather. Sleeping in the vehicle.....you earned a nice hunt.
Great finds , video and write-up.

El.
Well - another walk in the park.

4 seasons in CA - drought, earthquake, forest fire, mudslide.

In spite of that - If I were rich I would live there,

thanks for the fun

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Great job. Thanks for taking us along. Fun to find 4 oldies (the *newest* of which was a pesky barber) without finding any clad. Love them old relicky sites, where all human influence stopped very early on.
Thanks for the great vid and congrats on those nice finds smiling smiley
Great hunt! The 15" coil did you well. Glad you made it home okay. Baby girl needs her Daddy.
Another nice adventure to watch.thumbs down
February 19, 2019 03:46PM
A bit windy but successful all-the-same. Sure wish we could venture out around here.

Remember the WTHO's in May and June, and I hope to see you there.

Monte
Sounds like an exciting journey! I downloaded the video to watch at home tonight.

I'm reminded of our flash flood motto here, "Don't drown, turn around!" Glad you go through and back safely.

HH
Mike
Nice finds.
Looked like the bigger coil on Nox was working for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the video and congrats on the 3 silvers. I miss hearing the Nox give those kinda sounds in my sites. It was great at first but now I've kinda depleted them with it.
Cool video, Brian! Glad you had a safe trip.
Great story!
A real detecting adventure. Gotta love a Land Cruiser, equivalent of a good hoss in the old days.
Thanks everyone. Amazing these sites are still producing, there has to be another gold coin there eh?
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone. Amazing these sites are still pr
> oducing, there has to be another gold coin there e
> h?

"Another" ? Who found one already there ? Huh ? Huh ? smoking smiley (Besides. It's my turn. You found the last one, eh ?)
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
>
> "Another" ? Who found one already there ?
> Huh ? Huh ? smoking smiley (Besides. It's my turn. You found the last one, eh ?)

Tom,

I think Brian has some 'catching up' to do. thumbs down May take a while.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 09:06PM by Gonebeepin'.
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> >
> > "Another" ? Who found one already there ?
> > Huh ? Huh ? smoking smiley (Besides. It's my turn. You
> found the last one, eh ?)
>
>
> Tom,
>
> I think Brian has some 'catching up' to do. thumbs down
> May take a while.
>
>
> Rich (Utah)

That's the way I see it, besides Tom has to actually show up to find one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Dang tracker must have fallen off during the rough part of your travel.winking smiley
Elbert Wrote:
> Dang tracker must have fallen off during the rough part of your travel.winking smiley

I'll look for it the next time I'm there grinning smiley
Elbert Wrote:
> Dang tracker must have fallen off during the rough
> part of your travel.winking smiley

El, for a mere $100, I can be persuaded to tell you all of Cal Cobra's movements. No GPS tracker needed. And if Brian goes somewhere without my say-so and know-how, I know where he lives. If he starts to be elulsive, We can go chuck a rock through his window. I mean, it would be a shame if someone keyed his FJ, right ?? smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 06:20PM by Tom_in_CA.
Now you have him worried Tom. He has been awfully quite.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Elbert Wrote:
> Now you have him worried Tom. He has been awfully quite.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smoking smiley