Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looking for some help

Posted by silverfiend 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Looking for some help
March 03, 2019 11:14PM
I know this forum has a lot of members who have been at this for a very long time and I'm hoping somebody here my have some info I need.

Way back in the earliest days of the internet, Norman Garnush set up what was likely the best metal detecting resource of it's time. Few have rivaled it since. I remember reading his articles over and over and over. Not only for the wisdom they contained, but also for the motivation they inspired to get back out there and keep hunting when the finds were slim. Norm has been gone for over 20 years now. His family kept his webpage alive for a few years after his death but eventually it went away. Many of his articles still survive on a mirrored archive site, but that isnt perfect. Articles have been lost, and many of the images that accompanied his articles are gone now too.

Even over 20 years ago, his words still can teach and inspire so I am trying to keep them alive. I have incorporated everything relevant I can from the archive to my blog and I'm trying to get things updated to stay useful. 99% of the old links are dead, but many still exist and have changed or other modern versions are available. Anyway, if anybody has anything from Norm saved in your computer files, please let me know. I can't make my blog look identical to Norms, but I am trying to keep it close. You can see what I have here: [thesilverfiend.com] Like I said, if you have anything that you see I'm missing (articles; Winter water hunting, about rings, coinshooting) or many of the pics, please let me know.

Thanks,
Re: Looking for some help
March 04, 2019 12:35AM
That is a nice thing you're doing. Norm was a huge influence on me back when I was just starting out in the late 90's. His forum was the first one I ever joined and I made a lot of posts there. I read every one of his articles. He is the reason I bought my CZ20 which I still have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 12:36AM by Badger in NH.
March 04, 2019 03:05AM
I bookmarked your site.

The Golden Olde was one of my favorites of all time.

Thank you for taking the time to continue it's presence on the web. I am going to dig through my stuff to see if I have anything from Norm in my archives.
March 04, 2019 03:32AM
Looks like a good resource, thanks for sharing silverfiend!
March 04, 2019 11:44AM
Seems like a lot of stuff is still there. [web.archive.org]
March 04, 2019 12:52PM
I completely forgot about this site, until I saw the homepage. I’ll bookmark it, lots great stuff there. I bet Tom D. knew him.

Thanks for posting!

Aaron
March 04, 2019 01:26PM
Read an article or two----Great info.
March 04, 2019 02:08PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems like a lot of stuff is still there. http:/
> /web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/[thegold]
> enolde.com/

yeah, but thats my reasoning... its not ALL there. Lots of pics gone and some articles. How much else will disappear and when? I thought his works were worth saving. If his works are saved in more than one place, its got a better chance. What if the "web archive" server crashes? I think every TH forum has suffered a complete crash at some point. How many lamented the loss of info from members who had passed?
March 04, 2019 02:08PM
Best to mirror the sites you like as they fade away after the owner dies.

HH
Mike
March 04, 2019 03:52PM
Hello SF
Got a floppy or 2 with lots of info if interested....joe
March 04, 2019 05:08PM
joe in alabama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello SF
> Got a floppy or 2 with lots of info if interested.
> ...joe

I'm interested in anything you have, but I'm going to have to look around to see if I can find a USB floppy reader.

Edit - wow, those things are dirt cheap. What size floppies are they? 3.5"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 05:12PM by silverfiend.
March 04, 2019 07:00PM
Wow, been a long time since Norm passed. I used to go over to study his site regularly for information as I was pretty green when I happened upon it.
I clearly remember when the site was suspended due to his health failing, and when I heard he had died it felt like a personal friend was lost.
Thanks for making the effort to save his work. Good on you my friend!thumbs down
Cheers,
Drew.
March 04, 2019 08:43PM
Hello SF
Yes the floppy is 3-1/2...you may already have info on these disc...got to round up a bubble envo...pm me your address and will get it USPS to you...joe
March 04, 2019 09:14PM
This is all new to me, I just read Norm's BIO (About This Author), and I can already tell I'll enjoy reading his insightful articles.

Thanks for sharing this!