Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

E-Trac in iron (true iron see through?)

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
E-Trac in iron (true iron see through?)
June 27, 2011 10:45PM
I have seen many videos on youtube where someone extols "iron see through" abilities of this detector or that. Usually they start with a non ferrous target, then a pair of pliers and finally with the coin held to the pliers. Occasionally someone will use a half dollar or silver dollar which is wider than the pliers and place the pliers between the coil and the coin but mostly the coin is held between the coil and pliers. Inevitably the detector sounds off on the coin, is silent on the pliers and then sounds off again on the pliers/coin combination.

I just watched a video of the e-trac doing this with a gold ring and a pair of what look to be lineman's pliers. The pliers were discriminated out. The ring was narrower/smaller than the pliers yet when the ring was placed behind the pliers, in relation to the e-trac's coil, the detector still sounded off. There appeared to be absolutely no line of sight between the coil and the ring.

In all the previous videos I have seen I have written the "pliers in front of the coin" scenario off as the coil picking up the portion of the coin that was not masked by the pliers. However, with this ring being completely masked by the pliers I am left wondering how this worked. Maybe it's a simple as me not properly understanding how this works. Maybe Minelab has figured something out that I was not aware of. In either case if you know what is happening in the video please explain it to me because at the moment I am puzzled to say the least.

If you want to see it the video is here: [www.youtube.com]

HH,
Chris
Re: E-Trac in iron (true iron see through?)
June 28, 2011 12:36AM
Hmmmmm. If this is true.........why is it that I can not ascertain these results in the real world with ANY detector.......regardless of Mfr.
June 28, 2011 02:09AM
I've always heard that seeing is believing but as I said, I don't understand this at all. I have read and, to varying degrees, understood everything you have written about this Tom. I have watched this video time and again even at a reduced speed trying to see if he "pulls a fast one" but it looks legit. I don't know anyone in my area that has one but if I can find an E-Trac I'm definitely going to try and duplicate this.
June 28, 2011 02:11AM
Send the guy a message and ask him to duplicate the demonstration in the ground.
June 28, 2011 03:37AM
Yes the ground we forget about that and yet it make the difference maybe that is why there is about 90% of targets being masked lot of goodies are hiding in the ground. I even read that grass that are watered and use fertilizer can cause the gound to react like salt causing the detector to have problems...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 28, 2011 03:43AM
Tom knows why this works, but perhaps he didn't have time to answer so I will jump in.

Simply put, you set your detector up to just barely discriminate out the pliers. When you press the ring and the pliers together it increased the mass and changed the conductivity of the object previously discriminated (which was the pliers) and now the detector sounds off on this new object.

Old trick, any detector with a wide range for Iron discrimination can do this.

Hope this helps.
June 28, 2011 08:39AM
Airtests are strange and cant be trusted at all with this phenomena.

The Minelabs can be forced to see nearly as good as any machine in air with objects behind eachothers and in contact with eachothers. But in ground it loses more of this then many other detectors.

None I have tried will do the same in ground as in air.

Those of You who got a TDI.... try this.

GB at 10, PD midway ( but try any setting ). high conductors only. sens 6-7 or even more.

Put a rusty heavily bottlecap on ground.... no sound, put some foil bits in there on top of the bottlecap, still no sound. put some tabs from pulltabs in, still no sound. put another rusty bottlecap in, Still no sound...

Now.. Place a silver quarter directly under the pile of crap..... KAWOOOOOOM

Beware... This will not happen in ground with dirt between the objects.
June 28, 2011 11:28AM
Minelabers are protecting their expensiv investment. I own Eplorer SE Pro and it stays on the corner. Most of time i use my XP Gmaxx. Because Minelab is useless when two thousand years history is on the ground. F75 was a blast to ride too, but too much EMI was a problem for me.
June 28, 2011 12:19PM
Maybe you should look at TTF and an open screen (if that is to much disc out 1-3 on the ferrous side). Amazing once you use it a while.
June 28, 2011 12:43PM
My dad always told me never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. Unfortunately its impossible to duplicate a 100 years of leaching into the ground but have to say Explorers and Minelabs for that matter are excellent units but masking to various degrees cost the average detectorists many good finds over the years and to me airtesting is at best ballpark...
June 29, 2011 03:58AM
This video is nonsense. A little video editing at play.
The E-Trac has the ability to barely disc an item using the pixels
June 29, 2011 05:16AM
I would think that he just had it to knock out the pliers and those pliers are carbon steel like most tools made today and are very easy to reject compared to say a pair of older pliers made of hardened steel....

When he added the ring he touched it to the pliers and electrically increased the conductivity ever so slightly probably just moving it into an accepted pixel....

Space the ring a mm from the pliers and there's no way on the planet it will be seen....

Its an old trick that can be done with the right type steel ....Not iron but steel.... and a very minute adjustable disc in the low range.....

that's my take on it anyway....

it wont do it in the ground like that especially in 150 year old iron without digging a lot of it....

There's nothing made that will see behind another target....same way a bullet cant go around a corner .........

Guy wasted 42 seconds of my life!

Keith
Re: The E-Trac has the ability to barely disc an item using the pixels
July 02, 2011 02:36AM
I agree Keith. I have tried many programs with the DFX and the E Trac to get a small non ferrous target behind some nails and only a couple of times was I successful. Those times were the nails falsing lol. It just can't happen as of yet, with this technology.