Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looks like Whites is going down...

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Looks like Whites is going down...
June 18, 2020 10:47PM
A dealer posted this email he received from Whites today.... June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely,

Ken White
Re: Looks like Whites is going down...
June 18, 2020 11:16PM
Keith leppert Bedford Detectors said the same on FB. Ouch.... really sad.
June 18, 2020 11:20PM
Blaming China, Trump style.
June 18, 2020 11:28PM
Dang, I hate to hear this as will always have a soft spot for Whites. I found My first silver coin with a XLT, a 1918s Merc.
I remember it like it was yesterday, oh what a thrill it was that I will never forget. I was hooked after that. Always wanted one in the 70s and 80s but could not afford it as a kid. But when I could I knew I wanted a Whites as they always had the frount page ad in the Treasure Mags I read as a youth. I hope some how they come back.
June 18, 2020 11:55PM
My first old coin was with a White's Silver Eagle back in 1997. It was an 1864 Indian. Many more firsts came after with that machine. First Large Cent. First Standing Liberty, etc.
June 19, 2020 12:00AM
Hate to hear that.....maybe another wind will fill their sails.
June 19, 2020 01:43AM
Not surprised. At all.
Wonder how warranty of items still under warranty will be handled ? If they are handled.

The counterfeit instruments they are referring are:
Garrett Apex
Xp Deus
Xp ORX
Nokta Makro simplex.
Minelab Eqx models.
And so on.

How come others aren’t going out due to counterfeits?

Not buying the reason. Sorry White’s. And not buying your products either.

White’s never got out of the tin can mentality and or got into the digital age.
They had their chances but blew them.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 01:49AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 19, 2020 01:46AM
Trying to survive on hype and not results never ends good. Seems like the last 20 years, they tried to survive on the name only. When I first started hunting and bought a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger, the guy I hunted with had a XLT. I was finding coins in his tracks. That's a fact.
June 19, 2020 01:57AM
My first detector a White's Coinmaster I bought in 1986
In Charlotte NC.
Sad to see them close they had the best customer service bar none
June 19, 2020 02:15AM
whites started it all for me back in '77.have nothing but fond memories about whites!
hope they can find a way to turn it around.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 19, 2020 02:46AM
kevinnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying to survive on hype and not results never en
> ds good. Seems like the last 20 years, they tried
> to survive on the name only. When I first started
> hunting and bought a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger, th
> e guy I hunted with had a XLT. I was finding coins
> in his tracks. That's a fact.

Hmmm, that XLT was a darn good machine. Sounds like that guy didn’t know how to hunt....

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 19, 2020 04:10AM
I agree with Aaron the guy did not know how to use the xlt. One great detector like all Whites. I wonder about Whites Scotland maybe they may be the back up for warranty.
June 19, 2020 04:40AM
Well Bluntshooter,
For a start off no one could complain about the service Whites supplied many things they repaired in the time i used them for free since using there detectors here in AUSTRALIA since 1977. If you were a true yank you would not be knocking a usa company. And as far as a tin can mentality its whats in the tin can that counts to get the results, As with the v3i i have had mine since 2009 had it it back to the states updated from a v3 with no charge and a brand new current box not with a v3i sticker. The v3i is still way out in front with the way it can be programed if you are capable to understand the settings to get the right results.

What a backward step with Minelab with the Knox for us here in oz picking up 1 cent pieces with a vdi in our goldie range. Well i will still hang on to the v3i like grim death and never let it out of my sight because for me its just unbeatable still being 10 years old. And i would like to have a dollar for every detector i have had over 82 years 43 years of detecting and still swinging.
June 19, 2020 05:05AM
My first machine was a 6000 DiPro, probably had the BEST VDI EVER.
The V3i was a really good machine, found my first and only Trime with it.
So much for Whites “never entering the digital age”. Okay, whatever TNSS. Ever heard of the Eagle back in 1988? Actually Whites was one of the first pioneers in digital. How about the MXT? And hey, nice kicking a great American company while it’s down.
You have NO class!

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 19, 2020 07:31AM
Found so many coins with the Whites 6000. Its what really got me starting in this hobby. All manufacturers are in the same boat with the counterfeiting problem.
June 19, 2020 07:53AM
Not good news of course but if you produce detectors that you 'think' folks want rather than what they 'actually' want and also rest on your Laurels from previous decades then this is what happens.I personally still own 4 Whites machines including the TDI Pro and that is the only machine i still use,the others are gathering dust and the reson is i am using much lighter detectors like the Deus and Equinox,these are the machines that folks want and willing to pay decent money for.

This was basically the exact same business model that the late Tesoro business dynasty used and that also ended up in the same way.

To survive in this competitive market you have to produce machines that a wide paying audience are willing to part money with,folks dont want machines built like tanks that will last 20 years,move with the times and produce those all important products that we are looking for and willing to buy.
June 19, 2020 09:26AM
I started with the CM4 and used all their products since. Hope they can restructure.
June 19, 2020 10:50AM
I have 2 XLT's and still use them, different programs in each, for different places and different coils, wonder if you will still be able to get coils from them, this is like Ford going under, so many lost friends, web sites shutting down, the worlds problem, what a time to live in
June 19, 2020 11:19AM
I found 5 Confederate Infantry buttons from the same hole with an XLT. The signa graph could easily tell between trash and treasure. Just purchased a new MX Sport in March. I have said we need to support US detector companies for some time. This is what happens when your products never really morph with new technology. The inexpensive detectors from overseas was the final nail in the coffin. Sad news indeed.
June 19, 2020 12:34PM
We all know, if we want to support the U.S.,... we'll have to pay more for the products. Our standard of living is high here, our wages are higher here....all relative.
Y'all know the rest of the story and how it relates to lost industry in the U.S.
June 19, 2020 12:49PM
I just got me a V3i and I am loving it but I like to tinker with settings. I have always had good luck using the Whites detectors, I have used many of them. It is sad to see another American company close it's doors but there is a ton of competition out from other companies who are also putting out high quality detectors at low cost to consumers, it is survival of the fittest, that is capitalism and marks the advancement of the technology in this hobby. Every company trying to top each other with there offerings. Sad to see Whites go but it is a tough business to be in now.
June 19, 2020 12:56PM
I think most who are taking pot shots were not in the hobby for Whites glory years.
There is more to life than how much gold and silver you can find like your Youtube heros. Memories are worth more to me any day. Do I own a Whites I know some will ask me. No but have had many and was considering a MXT-PRO before my health and finances took a turn last year or two. We all can not afford 20 detectors. I am down to only 2 at the moment and might have to sell them. Of course most are sites are closed now so I guess it doesn't matter but I would like to keep at least 2 if I can.
June 19, 2020 01:00PM
Coinmaster 6000. One of my first machines. A friend still has it and uses it. Sad announcement, but not unexpected.

Sure, counterfeits hurt and are a part of the reason, but skimping on research/development is a losing path in the long run.
June 19, 2020 02:05PM
"if you were a true yank you wouldn't be knocking a US company"----Sad but true--True Yanks are getting fewer by the day.
June 19, 2020 02:44PM
I owned a couple of Whites detectors back when I first got serious about the hobby. Soon after the people at Fisher research brought out the CZ line of detectors and I haven’t owned a Whites since. Come to think of it, that’s kind of like what’s happening now. The thing that I will always respect the Whites company for is their dedication to and promotion of the metal detecting hobby. In my opinion Garrett, Whites, and Fisher are companies we should all thank for giving our hobby the solid foundation on which to build it into what it has become today.
June 19, 2020 02:56PM
Sad Indeed .......Recently Whites posted on there Facebook page, new things coming soon........With the Waterproof V3I floating around on UTUBE ......... The Future for Whites was looking somewhat good...... Then they shut The Factory down ? ........Hopefully Whites can make a U turn and come back strong.
June 19, 2020 05:32PM
pinpointa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well Bluntshooter,
> For a start off no one could complain about the se
> rvice Whites supplied many things they repaired in
> the time i used them for free since using there de
> tectors here in AUSTRALIA since 1977. If you were
> a true yank you would not be knocking a usa compan
> y. And as far as a tin can mentality its whats in
> the tin can that counts to get the results, As wit
> h the v3i i have had mine since 2009 had it it bac
> k to the states updated from a v3 with no charge a
> nd a brand new current box not with a v3i sticker.
> The v3i is still way out in front with the way it
> can be programed if you are capable to understand
> the settings to get the right results.
>
> What a backward step with Minelab with the Knox fo
> r us here in oz picking up 1 cent pieces with a vd
> i in our goldie range. Well i will still hang on t
> o the v3i like grim death and never let it out of
> my sight because for me its just unbeatable still
> being 10 years old. And i would like to have a do
> llar for every detector i have had over 82 years
> 43 years of detecting and still swinging.

Basically you can KMA.
Hopefully you are smart enough to decipher the acronym.
Freedom of speech, I think I deserve since I help defend this nation for over 22 years.
Go back on this forum and others, I gave White’s all the info they needed to head of their business falling off.
Many posts with good solid info.
Seems some manufacturers heeded hence they are still going, some stronger than others as one would expect.
Where did all the grand engineers go who worked for White’s?
I figured they left.
So no engineers really, poor marketing techniques. Etc = distaster.

I feel for the folks who will lose their jobs.

I never charged a penny for good helpful info either.
It was here for the taking.

Moral of the story.
Any manufacturer who tries to survive on “name only” will likely go bust.
They must be innovative and bring products that folks will BUY.
Good service and old tin cans, etc don’t necessarily equate to strong detector sales.

Garrett woke up.
The why behind APEX.
Their sales had to be lower due to EQX, Simplex, etc.
So they released new product. Not repackaged stuff.

You have a nice day. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 05:33PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 19, 2020 06:45PM
Fisher is next.... at least that is what my crystal ball said.
June 19, 2020 07:03PM
I have to disagree on that one Ole' Cal as Fisher is owned buy FT which also has Bounty Hunter which are a top seller in the low end market through Cabela's and such. They also have many other ventures beside metal detectors so they should be fine.
June 19, 2020 07:51PM
Are we able to separate First Texas from Fisher and Tecknetics? Seems like Fisher and Tecknetics are in the exact same situation as Whites. Will First Texas invest the money in R&D or let the brands slowly die?