Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Todays finds.

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Todays finds.
February 08, 2012 12:16AM
I hunted an old local park today and had some good results. The park has been pounded to death through the years to the extent no one hunts it except on rare occasions. Today I took my F70 and decided to try and unmask some coins. It turned out to be a good effort. I found a silver 1946 Roosevelt dime and 79 cents in clad. The dime was 7 inches deep and the detector was set on sensitivity 80, Threshold 9 Disc on 1 sounds where on 4. The dime was 7 inches down and near some iron. I believe I had missed this one in the past with my Explorer SE because the SE nulled out the iron and had not recovered soon enough to pick up the dime. This is the fourth silver dime I have found since starting to use my F70 in this park. I have a friend that has hunted with me on a few hunts at this park with his Explorer SE and found one seated lady dime and that is all. He does not hunt there anymore because it is tough hunting. I have enough confidence in my F70 that it is fun following behind my E-Trac and Explorer friends. Good hunting to you all.
Re: Todays finds.
February 08, 2012 12:38AM
congrats!!! the speed and seperation of the new fisher detectors is amazing!!!!!!!! i once found a silver quarter in a "trash pile" by slowing down and moving my coil six inches left and right and knowing there was a lightning fast high tone and vid of a quarter. i cant explain well enough how slow i was going and how fast the signals were!!!!!!!!! amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 08, 2012 01:03AM
Coinseeker --

Thanks for this post. I have a little "hot spot" that I found recently, that has yielded up almost 40 coins, all aged between 1883 and 1908. A friend and I have hammered this spot to death over the past two weeks, to where we seem to have about cleaned out the "detectable" targets. Your post here, and the recent one where Keith Southern and others chimed in about how a spot is never "hunted out," gives me ideas for a different approach. This spot has been hammered by an E-Trac and my Explorer, using 5", 6x8", and 11" coils -- and also worked just a bit with an F-75 LTD and 11" coil. BUT -- we have not used a fast Fisher machine in here with a SMALL coil. Since there IS some iron here, I think I'll put the small coil on my Gold Bug Pro here soon, and run through this spot trying to pick another keeper or two -- moving real slow and listening for a quick, good tone amongst the trash, as you have described.

Thanks!

Steve
February 08, 2012 01:09AM
Check the air-test depth on a dime with your Gold Bug Pro.
February 08, 2012 01:27AM
I was using my 11 inch coil but the 5 inch coil would probably have found that dime at 7 inches because I have found many coins with the 5 incher at 7 inches.
February 08, 2012 01:47AM
Will do, NASA-Tom, though it will be a few days as a friend is borrowing it right now. 11" coil, 5" coil, or both?

I did do this testing at one point, with the 11" coil, in both disc. mode and all-metals, but it was about a year ago (back when I bought the machine) and not sure I recall the exact measurements.

I'm THINKING, with 11" coil, it was 9 1/2" or 10" in disc, over 11 in AM.

I will check it though, and give better (confirmed) results. Since it will be a few days, I'll post results in a different thread.

Steve
February 08, 2012 02:15AM
Primarily the 5" coil....... which may prompt you to re-try the 11" coil.
February 08, 2012 02:52AM
Congrats on the silver Coinseeker, I too love the feeling of finding the goods where others failed and have long given up.

However..(with all do respect), I would love the chance to hunt behind you with my Etrac. I have, and continue to find silver and old copper partially masked by iron, even found silver and copper in the same hole with iron. If your your smoking FBS guys as bad as you say they obviously do not know their machines that well.

In the hands of a skilled user/hunter the Etrac is deadly tool.

HH!
February 08, 2012 03:08AM
Sounds good, NASA-Tom. Will do. For what it's worth, I know through testing in my test garden that the 5" coil is decidedly "shallower" than the 11" in disc. mode; also, the differential in depth increase going from disc. mode to all-metal mode is quite a bit more pronounced than the disc. to all-metal differential when using the 11" coil, if that makes sense. Not sure why, but my impression with that small coil (haven't used it enough to be sure) is that it has somewhat limited depth in disc. mode, but is surprisingly quite a bit deeper in all-metals. Where you gain roughly 1-2 inches by using all-metals over disc. with the 11" coil, I think the gain is much more substantial going from disc. to all-metals on the 5" coil. Would you consider that an "expected" finding, or somewhat surprising?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 03:11AM by steveg.
February 08, 2012 03:43AM
Hey AARON I am not knocking the FBS machines. I have hunted with the best from here to Indianapolis many times in the last 4 years. I owned an Explorer SE for four years. and sold it because it was getting to heavy for my soon to be 79 year old body, I have slowed way down with my arthritis. You can run circles around me with any good machine because You can move faster and dig faster. I am a sight to see getting up after digging a hole. I have owned White's and Minelab detectors. I honestly feel Minelab makes the best detectors out there. I am sure you would find coins I missed and I would find coins you missed just by virtue of the two detectors different configurations. Have a great day friend.
February 08, 2012 04:01AM
You've got 6yrs on my father, thats very impressive!
Keep diggin!
February 08, 2012 04:26AM
Coinseeker --

That's inspirational! I hope I'm diggin' and postin' at 79! Keep on digging, brother -- keeps you young! smiling smiley

Steve
February 08, 2012 09:42AM
Steve,

There are a few things I just want you to be aware of...... by virtue of this test. Sounds like you are well on your way. Yes..... in this case, the ID vs all-metal results are on par.
February 08, 2012 02:18PM
Whatever works whether it be a different detector, coil or perhaps strategy and sure fun trying at those beat areas
as once found a late 1800's Barber Half at 4 inches in a field hit by hundreds of guys over the years so go figger and good luck in your ventures and they may get them all in a small yard but in a large field there is still some left but one has to work at it...
February 10, 2012 07:28AM
Sounds good, NASA-Tom. My friend my have my machine for another week or so; as soon as I get it back I'll do the testing and post the results.

Thanks (and, coinseeker, sorry for veering your post into a ditch a little bit, here! smiling smiley )

Steve