Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got a Bayonet Today....Deadlock 34 Reading

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got a Bayonet Today....Deadlock 34 Reading
September 21, 2012 01:10AM
This bayonet read deadlock 34 today on the AT-PRO..

One thing I like about havig the iron audio 'ON' is the signature large iron give's..

Keith
Re: Got a Bayonet Today....Deadlock 34 Reading
September 21, 2012 01:18AM
Outstanding find and the condition looks great. It's things like this that make me want to add the AT to my quiver especially for the iron littered site.
September 21, 2012 01:38AM
Awesome!! Looks like most of the metal is still there on the blade too. Should clean up good.
September 21, 2012 01:44AM
And by nez, you deserve it too, with all the people that you readily give help too, me included!!! I am absoltuely thrilled for you Keith!!!! I would lose control of my bowels if I was to pull on them out of the ground!!!
September 21, 2012 01:59AM
Outstanding find Keith! Congrats!!!!
September 21, 2012 02:11AM
That's a beauty Keith, wonderful recovery. HH jim tn
September 21, 2012 02:33AM
Nice peice of history Keith, CONGRATS!
September 21, 2012 02:41AM
That's a very cool find Keith! Your in Ga right? I grew up in Columbus.Moved out to NoCal in 86. Wish I was detecting at that time,There was a lot of good area. Keep it up bud, Ray
September 21, 2012 05:04AM
Awesome find Keith.

Well done.

Joe
September 21, 2012 11:10AM
When you iron out the small things......... good things come to light. Contrat's!
September 21, 2012 11:23AM
Really nice find Keith. It doesn't get any better than that.
Please share it again with us after it is all cleaned up.
September 21, 2012 12:36PM
Very Nice!!!! In 30+ yeats of relic hunting I have never dug a complete one. Way to go!!

Barry
September 21, 2012 12:39PM
Great find Keith,

Any idea what gun it was attached to? What made you decide to dig that particular signal or was it a matter of removing all large iron ?

Dalpal
September 21, 2012 01:19PM
Very, very cool find
September 21, 2012 01:52PM
What a great find Keith, congratulations!-----------Del
September 21, 2012 02:05PM
Wow!

Will you try to conserve it yourself or send it out? Personally, I'd rig-up an electrolysis bath using a large ceramic roaster or maybe even a discarded sink. It would be worth taking it down to bare metal then coating it with one of your favorite "POR-15" products: [www.tcpglobal.com]
September 21, 2012 06:03PM
Excellent! Love to see a picture when you get it cleaned up!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 21, 2012 08:16PM
Thanks for the enthusiasm Fella's..

Yes Bayonet's as well as other IRON implement's are great to dig..

Cetain detectors are better at such task than other's...

A couple I am fond of for Iron artifact retrieval

Nautilus
MXT
G2

to a lesser extent ,,,,These will dig the iron artifact's but they fool you into digging them...

tejon
X5

Alot of the good iron artifact's are made of high quality steel and are I.D.'d fairly well on a detector as iron....Actually horseshoe's and kettle iron and such will be dug easier than the bayonet's.lockplates.slinghook's.As it is of poorer iron than the good quality steel used in implement's...

The bayonet reading a solid 34 will be overlooked by a multitiude of machine's without even hardly falsing if you do not use an all metal mode ....

Thats one ofthe t's of the AT and is something I have been looking for awhile now.Is the abiltiy to really hear the size and shape of the iron target...

I am fond of analog audio on a single tone detector for unmasking...but I really like the dual tone audio the digital machine's now offer.But the audio seems to be lacking on those..

In steps the AT-PRO the audio is very, very reminescent of analog audio and also offer's the advantage of hearing it 'ALL' in a digital design...Again the audio is very conveying

To answer a few question's

I will electrolysis the bayonet... then preserve it with some briwax...

The bayonet was in a camp site on the side of a hill not very deep just under the soil lying flat about 4 inches deep..In a well drained area.. Heavy sloped ground..I just heard the larger than nail report and from years of digging in such site's it's second nature to retrieve a target bigger than a nail...I have dug a few bayonet's and countless other artifact's by doing this...One thing in this area that makes it tricky though is there's lot's and lot's of barbwire in condensed area's and it makes it sort of tricky to listen for bigger iron ..But not with the AT iron audio!

It's a Britsh Enfield bayonet...Model 1853...

Yes I live West of Atlanta Ga about 40 miles...Area called Dallas Ga.....lot's of battles...This particular piece came from a camp 2 days before the battle of New Hope Chrurch..

Will post a cleaned pic when I am done.

Thanks for the replies...

On a side note..

Bayonet's will usually just turn up in infantry camp's..I have yet to find one in a cavalry camp...or even in an artillery camp..But to be honest I have hunted dozens of cavalry camps to maybe 2 artillery camps in my time so the ratio can skew these finding's...

But it's is an intantry mans device first and foremost...

Thers' plenty of iron relics even in the HUNTED OUT spot's...Seriuolsy...It's the number one metal in the world in use...

Remember if you relic hunt RUST is a MUST...

O yeah Tom.. I see the irony in your reply!!LOL!!!

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 10:06PM by Keith Southern.
September 21, 2012 09:35PM
Garrett should send you some detecting gear for free. You probably sold a few AT Pros with your posts. I know you make me miss mine. I always enjoy your posts and I usually end up learning something to boot. That's a great combo. Thank you for that.
Been Cooking the bayonet looking good so far!
September 23, 2012 06:15PM
Had it in the electro bath,,,You can see how much crud floated to the top in the backgound pic...Look's like chocolate pudding.Yummy!!!

Any way the steel is in pretty good shape no major pitting...

will coat it next...

Keith
September 23, 2012 06:20PM
Thanks Goodmoore for the reply..

Yes nothing worse than missing a detector you have let go!!

I have done it a few times in my life...

If I were only in a position to afford maybe 25-30 at the minimum lol!!

Keith
September 24, 2012 12:40AM
Stunning state of preservation.
September 24, 2012 02:14AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stunning state of preservation.
Yes indeed!!!! It could be reattached and used again!!!!! Great job with the electrolysis!!!! That is simply a jaw dropping find, Keith!!! I cannot think of a man who deserves it more!!! I may have said that a few posts up, but it needs re-saying. Congratulations!!!!!!!!
September 27, 2012 12:08AM
Keith, you got me think more of hunting iron, I have tons of site that are iron infested, going to spend more time at them this fall digging iron, digging any metal is good, and I will LEARN
September 27, 2012 10:04AM
Fantastic condition. Your soil was " good " to it !