Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D ground bal issue

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D ground bal issue
September 25, 2012 08:00PM
Had a GB issue that I have never encountered before with the 3D. I was using the Fisher 10.5 coil and had to adjust the GB all the way to 10. Still, at this point of adjustment I could not hear the threshold increase when lifting the coil. At the 10 position it had just gotten to the point where there was no increase in threshold when lowering the coil, I went with this setup since this was the best GB I could get and I was at the adjustable limit of the GB pot. Same thing with the 8" coil installed. Machine ran fine(stable) and I was digging targets at 8"+ with no problem. I have always had enough adjustment with the GB pot to got past the "null" either positive or negative but not this time. My soil here is pretty nuetral, but this was a new site for me, about 100 yards from the RR tracks in an old river port town. Can anyone give me an explanation, ground minerals, iron contamination etc?? Thanks, Beach
Re: CZ3D ground bal issue
September 25, 2012 09:31PM
Is this consistent site to site?
September 26, 2012 12:38PM
Clean/clear ground. No/low minerals. Grnd Bal not required.
September 26, 2012 03:02PM
Might add hunting with a buddy thought my CZ was malfunctioning until my buddy pointed to a high tension box on a telephone pole. Tom is certainly correct but just moved away from the interference and ground balanced perfect so outside interferences can cause your unit to malfunction...
September 26, 2012 03:23PM
This was the case over about a 2 acre site. Dan first thing I did was ck for EMI source, none that was close enough to present a problem. Tom, when you state no GB required, are you saying to just set it at the preset #5? I'm usually anywhere from 4-7 on the GB in my soil most times,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 04:19PM by Beach.
September 26, 2012 06:13PM
I would leave the GB on '10'...... if the ground is neutral.
I have the same conditions here in Florida whereby...... the dirt and the wet salt have no minerals. When in auto-tune mode and Sens on '10'........ bobbing the coil........ and the detector reports absolutely no audio variation......... no matter where the Grnd Bal is placed. Acts like the Grnd Bal knob is disconnected or out of the circuit. It's not. There is simply.... not enough minerals to Grnd Bal (compensate) for.
September 26, 2012 08:27PM
Thanks Tom