Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Got about 10 more hours on the Vista Gold this week
January 07, 2013 12:50PM
Keith these are some great stories. That snake one would have freaked me out too, since odds are it was poisonous (though hard to say for certain but the odds are....). Great stuff I love just hearing about your experiences, even though these here are not the kind you remember too fondly!
January 07, 2013 08:54PM
There are several tests done by the same group. The data below is from the earlier attachment - converted to inches and translated into English.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 09:09PM by Johnnyanglo.
January 08, 2013 09:23PM
Just another way to look at the same data - eye candy.

I combined the testing data from both tests - some detectors were not on the second that were on the first - and plotted the results. Note: The original testing ranked detectors by both depth and recovery speed (weighted value). These results below are ranked only by total depth obtained (sum of all targets) in 1) average and 2) high mineralized soil (2 charts) and then ranks recovery speed separately (1 chart). This way the recovery speed is not skewing the depth test results.Plus, an additional chart of best depth in both average and high mineralization combined (1 chart).

Added combined chart - to compare total effective depth (average plus high mineralization depths) against response time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 04:40AM by Johnnyanglo.
January 08, 2013 09:51PM
Thanks for the summary charts. What are the 'units' for recovery speed? Does the data imply that the F75 has 50% worse recovery speed compared to the CTX? Hmmm...
January 08, 2013 09:52PM
nice chart work...thanks
January 08, 2013 10:11PM
The recovery speed figure represents the distance in cm a test coin had to be from a nail before a CLEAN signal could be attained ,the smaller the figure the
smaller the gap needed the better the recovery speed.
January 08, 2013 10:12PM
by the looks of the charts i think i did alright between the relic and smart
January 09, 2013 12:43AM
Nice Chart .

Thanks for deciphering it...

Keith
Anonymous User
January 09, 2013 12:46AM
wow - you guys are awesome - this stuff is cool.
January 09, 2013 04:45AM
Looks to me that overall the Vista Smart has the edge for depth in soils from average to high mineralization combined with very quick response time.

The Deus appears to be running a close second with the Vista Relic, with the Relic slightly better at depth but not quite up to the Deus in response time, so about even between them.
January 09, 2013 07:32AM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks to me that overall the Vista Smart has the
> edge for depth in soils from average to high
> mineralization combined with very quick response
> time.
>
> The Deus appears to be running a close second with
> the Vista Relic, with the Relic slightly better at
> depth but not quite up to the Deus in response
> time, so about even between them.

That is what the tests show, but it shouldn't be overlooked regarding the type of test they are doing. The ground is pretty compact but there is ZERO halo effect going on with lowering coins into the ground through a placed plastic tube. I posted the chart & numbers a while ago on another thread so I'm not knocking them. They are valuable, just don't want people to think they are super accurate and the end all. I mean what Keith is doing with his Vista blows away the Deus results and other machines it seems. (and the E-Trac smoked the Deus in my moderately mineralized soil.) I look forward to some in the field comparisons.

Albert
January 09, 2013 08:33AM
I'd like to see multi nails put down then a desirable object in their midst....at relatively shallow depths.
Then see how they measure up to each other.

I agree Albert, this isn't the end all of testing but at least it does show patterns.
Result variations will always be with us in this subjective hobby.

Perhaps the pendulum has swung back over toward analog design.
Analog done right has always been competitive.
January 09, 2013 11:52AM
Albert, interesting test here supports your Deus vs. Etrac statement: [www.youtube.com]
jrk
January 09, 2013 02:23PM
Very interesting. I guess as Hogan once said, the secrets in the dirt. In my dirt, the Deus is the clear winner from indicating targets deeper than my E-Trac, where my CTX couldn't compete with my E-Trac.
For me, a Deus and maybe one of the Vista machines would give me full confidence in my hunting.

Again,
Great info.

Randy
January 09, 2013 06:23PM
If I can add a few thing's to what I have found out from in field use...

Attribute wise..

The Gold does something in iron the Rg 1000 does not...

The Gold sees target's in very very close proximity to iron. Iron that is larger than the non ferrous target. first time I have experienced this on a detector. ..but I keep repeating it .
I notice it on isolated ferrous non ferrous target's in the wood's...I think it's the coil doing it....the coil seems to separate at depth the best I personally have ever used..Its very eye openeng to see this taking place...

It easier to really notice it when it's an isolated co target...It unmask in iron as weel or better than any but it's easier to noitce what is going on when it's more isolated...

I have ran alot of iron grunt machines and this is the first to keep doing this on daily basis...

I find .22 hulls next to larger iron like bigger nails...and quite deep to...

I notice when scouring though old camps sites... iron is usually scattered thoughout them.. and I keep digging non ferrous target's very close to iron yet they are quite small and in the HALO of the larger iron...I mean alot of non ferrous target's..I can only assume the other machine's even the best ones are not able to recover from the simple large nails fast enough to signal the tiny target's...becasue the sweep speed when hunting in scattered iron on most machines is usually scanned more quickly because of the lack of target's we tend to scan faster and this easily mask's out target's.. we hit the isolated nail and keep on moving quite briskly...Well the Gold can report both quite easily and with a brisk sweep.It is keeping the depth up and lightning fast separation at surface to depth..

Is it the coil?
Is it the Freq? 25kHz..
is it the speed plus blending?
or is it a combo of all coming together?

One other thing I notice on the Gold...no one seems to talk about...

The slow switch....When coupled with Boost....I personally find the machine when in certain dirt's to be as deep or deeper than any machine I have ever ran.
It's sort of funky to run like this sometimes....But its raw power when set like this...I can tell the machine is in overdrive...running past the safe normal zones most machine's even when ran wide open does not approach...

The RG 1000 does not do this ...No boost ? No Slow Mode...AHH no slow mode! Fast, mode boost on, the gold is very easy to run wide open boosted...yet the depth is not quite there...

Boost then add slow and it get's in the outer limit's on depth in the dirt....

The smart is going to have to prove itself to Me to compete for depth on isolated target's I believe ...I may be wrong...but if it retains separation like the gold and depth like the gold on one speed it must have the old compass varifilter in it.LOL!

I think the Gold is the most expensive for a reason...Again speculation...

Heres one last thing....

I did a hunt Yesterday in one of my favorite sites..I did not get long on there because of time limit's....

The site hold's the RARE,,,Selma Alabama Lube Groove Bullet's...They were made in the Arsenal In Selma in April of 1864...only place they were ever produced ...true Confederate bullet...

I love these bullet's...they helped me verify this camp by the time line and who COULD of had them,,,,

Well needless to say I have obliterated this site as much as I can...

Yet in a Short amount of time...To late to film not enough light..I found a super deep Selma .54 caliber Bullet...notice the real low 3 ring's toward the bottom of the bullet....its of enfield design with ring's added ....Rings on Bullet's are where grease was packed for expansion when fired to allow for non jamming...

they look like 3 ringer's yet they are not, they are enfield style with the Lube Grooves way down on the bottom....Awesome bullet...

Bullet was around the 14 inch mark...

Also found an imperial standard flat button 1820's style...Confederates wore these alot..Flat button's that is..this site has prodcued about 20 or so flat's so far...

this button was also deep....

both these items come form a site where most all other's showed up in the camp...just till now too deep to register...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 08:27PM by Keith Southern.
January 09, 2013 08:44PM
jrk Wrote:
> Very interesting. I guess as Hogan once said, the
> secrets in the dirt. In my dirt, the Deus is the
> clear winner from indicating targets deeper than
> my E-Trac, where my CTX couldn't compete with my
> E-Trac.
> For me, a Deus and maybe one of the Vista machines
> would give me full confidence in my hunting.
>
> Again,
> Great info.
>
> Randy

It really does look like it comes down to the dirt, doesn't it? How would you describe the mineralization of your dirt?
The CTX and E-Trac were pretty equal, depth wise, in my ground. The Deus did go pretty deep, but with no ID after 7" or so. (And sometimes no id on shallow very small objects).
I'd say the CTX/E-Trac got 9" on non silver coins, probably a 10"-11" on a silver quarter, but that last part is a guess.

Very curious. I know Critterhunter has about the same dirt as me, judging by the similar depth he gets with the Minelabs and he says his dirt is moderate as well.

Nice discussion,
Albert
January 09, 2013 10:16PM
Perhaps I need to rethink my decision to purchase the Smart. I really didn't have any logic to it. Maybe the Gold is for me.
January 09, 2013 10:41PM
don't be so hasty yet the gold is good but til we have a smart in our hands then we'll know for sure, Keith i'll let you know as sonn as i get my Smart in
January 09, 2013 10:58PM
It's quite heart-warming to hear of these technological advancements. Maybe we are on the brink of a break-through (or already there).
January 09, 2013 11:37PM
NASA-Tom
Maybe we are on the brink of a break-through (or already there).

... and on an analog machine, with an analog boost. Who would have thought???
January 10, 2013 12:02AM
go-rebels Wrote:
> Maybe we are on the brink of a break-through (or
> already there).
>
> ... and on an analog machine, with an analog
> boost. Who would have thought???

Well, there are an increasing number of recording studios leaving digital for analog. Sounds better, whodathunk!
January 10, 2013 12:37AM
sometimes old technology is just better
January 10, 2013 12:40AM
Is anyone else scratching their heads over the G2 recovery speed rating of 9.5. or the ctx recovery speed rating of 2. Can anyone vouch for who originally compiled the data?
January 10, 2013 12:57AM
SS i picked up on that also. Theres a few things odd with those graphs.
January 10, 2013 12:57AM
silversurfer Wrote:
> Is anyone else scratching their heads over the G2
> recovery speed rating of 9.5. or the ctx recovery
> speed rating of 2. Can anyone vouch for who
> originally compiled the data?

Yes, as a matter of fact......being the previous owner of 2 Teknetics G2 machines....I can say that they were faster than anything I had used up to that point. The G2 was the first machine that I ever owned that would actually sem to bring a site back to life. The depth on bullets, in my soil, wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad. But the reactivity was fast!!!! I could hear it when I waved it across a bed of square nails. I could hear EACH nail!!! I had used the AT pro before that and in the same site, I could wave the coil across all those nails and simply hear a loud roar. The nails were very thick. That is not the only thing that puzzles me in that graph. I mean, I have owned several of those units as most everyone else on this site. But I will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart for the Teknetics G2. My two G2's found me ALOT of relics. And five Indian head's at one old homesite....including an 1864 fatty. Like Keith said....if that unit had a boost mode.....and capacity for another battery or two, I would instantly have another. I have never owned a CTX though. So my reply is only a half attempt.
January 10, 2013 01:05AM
I can't argue with a G-2 i own one too and like it very much!
My Vista 1000v2
January 10, 2013 01:25AM
Reminds me of my Gold Bug v29, only faster and no meter to watch. Thought I would never find another detector to beat the GB, but with only 2 hunts in with the 1000, I may take the battery out of the GB and let it hang for awhile. I'm gonna take the 1000 to DIV in March and tackle the hot ground in Virginia with it......Mark
jrk
Re: My Vista 1000v2
January 10, 2013 01:39AM
morelicdetector Wrote:
> Reminds me of my Gold Bug v29, only faster and no
> meter to watch. Thought I would never find another
> detector to beat the GB, but with only 2 hunts in
> with the 1000, I may take the battery out of the
> GB and let it hang for awhile. I'm gonna take the
> 1000 to DIV in March and tackle the hot ground in
> Virginia with it......Mark

Yep, we have some seriously funky ground here.

Very interested in watching this Vista thing unfold. Others elsewhere are sharing Keith's enthusiasm as well. Hard to ignore. And Barry's making it easier now!

Randy
January 10, 2013 03:54AM
sounds like getting a deeptech is a SMART idea when looking for RELICS and GOLD and all for less than RG 1000 dollars lol
January 10, 2013 09:39AM
Yes..... I 'question' the incongruencies on these charts/graphs. . . . and 'question' the scientific basis testing standards. When the T2/F75 vs G2 have dramatically differing resultants..... especially in reference to speed........ something seems amiss.............. as they have the same microprocessor with subsequent clock-speed.
Similar thoughts with/about the AT-Pro and GMP........ and the different versions of Minelabs.