Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, any time behind a CTX yet?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, any time behind a CTX yet?
January 20, 2013 06:02PM
I'm curious how it performed in your test bed on the "complex target."
Re: Tom, any time behind a CTX yet?
January 21, 2013 01:13AM
i would be interested to know this also regarding its beach and surf capabilities.
chuck.
January 22, 2013 01:11PM
Rick......... good/valid question.

With stock coil configuration........ in the simplex test-garden........... the 3030 will detect a 12" deep solo dime consistently; yet, with nearly full spectrum ID bounce.
In the complex test-garden scenario (the ferrous vs. non-ferrous)......... never once could the 3030 detect the dime.
In the complex test-garden scenario (non-ferrous trash vs. non-ferrous dime)....... same resultant.

I'm so glad I included this 'complex' test-garden scene in the video (DVD)....... as this is what gives YOU (the viewer) the base-reference platform unto which I 'basis' my reference testing. Standardized. (((Which is the 'key' to valid/solid factual data acquisition))).

(((Rick.......... I may send you a PM in the near future))).
jrk
January 22, 2013 02:17PM
Tom,
Any detector pass that complex garden dime test?

Thanks,
Randy
January 22, 2013 02:59PM
Yes......... the F75 with 5" DD coil ... whilst in boost process (bp) mode........ with 100% success.
Also......... the XP GMP and Deus with large/factory/stock 9" DD coil. This prompts me to say: This is the only detector (and first in our history) to ever detect this dime.... with with such a large coil.

A few other detectors will detect the dime....... but with extreme/exceptional/remote extenuating circumstances imposed upon the detector and/or target............ making it a very unrealistic real-world 'useable' scenario.
January 22, 2013 03:01PM
Are you saying that the f-75 will detect a 12 inch dime with the 5 inch coil?
jrk
January 22, 2013 03:06PM
Thanks Tom. When you mention "large/stock" coil on the Deus, do you mean both the 9 and 13 inch coils? Thanks for the clarification.

Randy
January 22, 2013 03:42PM
No...... the F75 will not detect a 12" deep dime. (((Not quite sure where I implied this))).

Randy....... I only tested the 9" coil on the complex target scenario.
5" coil
January 22, 2013 04:47PM
I had my t2 on a freshwater beach last week, I put on the 5" coil, 92 sen, 16 disc, boost modem I picked up a freakin pulltab at 9", with a decent ID. That tiny coil is amazing.
January 22, 2013 07:00PM
I really need to take the 6" CTX coil to my trashy spot,... a lot of the marketing was based around the fact that it could detect multiple targets under the coil at once.
Hmmmm

HH
Johnb
January 23, 2013 12:04AM
I've got an 8 coin garden thats been in the ground for 4 years. When I planted it I did not realize just how bad the ground was. From a lot of Minelab models and a couple other brands I never could find them again. Even my Etrac wide open could not see them. When I got the Deus It hit all but one. Very repeatable hits. The 9 inch coil is unreal on the Deus.
January 23, 2013 12:12PM
Thx Tom -

"Never" is a strong word. I had hoped that the CTX really lived up to ML's claims regarding co-located targets. It's a moot point now but I wonder how much measurable improvement the CTX has over a first generation Sovereign regarding "unmasking."

Facts can be stubborn things.
January 23, 2013 12:25PM
I find it interesting that Fisher was expected to release a new flagship detector late last year. In the mean time the Deus came on the seen. I can't help but wonder if some changes are being made to the next Fisher to ensure that it blows the Deus out of the water.
January 23, 2013 01:18PM
:-) :-)
January 23, 2013 02:04PM
Tom, do you think this new :-) :-) will best the CZ6a at the beach? :-)
January 23, 2013 04:25PM
Con I doubt it....Original CZ6A is just a oldie but goodie beast....Of course there are beaches and there are beaches also comes into play..
Honestly we have to remember tests are made in the testers neck of the woods and your neck of the woods may differ so keep this in mind...
January 23, 2013 05:56PM
20yr old technology Dan,.....I wouldn't.
jrk
January 23, 2013 08:50PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No...... the F75 will not detect a 12" deep dime.
> (((Not quite sure where I implied this))).
>
> Randy....... I only tested the 9" coil on the
> complex target scenario.

Sorry Tom,
Re-reading above. Is that dime in your complex garden 12 inches? I assumed it was, and I suspect squarenail did as well, thus his response.
I'm not familiar with your different test gardens.
If your complex garden does not have the dime at 12", how'd the XP machines do on the 12" dime, as it sounds like they did well on the complex garden.
I assume that if the CTX hit that dime at 12, I should have hit my quarter at 12, as my test was not done in tremendously mineralized ground. I must not have been driving it correctly.
As you can see, confusion is confusing. winking smiley

Thanks,
Randy
January 23, 2013 11:19PM
When a CTX hits a 12" dime, it should obviously hit that 12" quarter. Mass and surface area of the coin are larger.

When ID is all over the place with the CTX in a wide open screen, it is trying to decipher that small small small target signal in that Huge Huge Huge amount of ground signal.
As simple as that, any deeper and the detector just will not recognise it as a target.
The target signal will drown into the ground signal.

On easy diggable ground, you simply scrape away the top inch and investigate again.
In a manicured park, well you would simply leave these signals behind.

Driving the CTX, well... I've had one of those things for about 6 months. Came from an E-trac,... and have only felt I was in tune with the detector a few times.
Digging a coin which must have been on edge at a reasonable depth and a few pieces of silver jewelry which just sounded like an odd ground signal.
Both times not using any kind of disc and a ferrous 4 tone signal analysis.
Riding the sens control like a gas pedal on a car, constantly listening for that out of the ordinary sound and checking to max out the sens level.

A bit like the auto sens does on the CTX, but much more on the edge of instability.
So driving one of these, like driving most detectors, is simply hours and hours of practise/concentration,... and not something you would want to do on a daily basis.
Especially in a non controlled environment, where you don't know there is a target located.

Audio on the CTX is deeper than TID, not a lot,.... but it is deeper.
That's why I seldom pay any attention to the screen any more and just use it as a menu guide or programming tool.
When you are in an area that TID is easy for the CTX,.... then TID is rock solid,... no ifs and buts about it.

Multiple targets under the coil,... haven't used the CTX for hunting amongst trash yet.
Advertising told us it could,... but Tom tells us it can't.
Obviously they sold us one, before they let Tom have a go.
Ah well,... still is a very nice piece of kit!!

HH
Johnb
January 23, 2013 11:55PM
In the complex target scenario test-garden........... the dime is at 6" deep. I 'think' I stated this in the DVD.
January 28, 2013 07:49PM
I had my reservations using the CTX3030 in an iron/trash infested environment, especially because it is such a saltwater/depth orientated machine.
So I switched to the 6" coil, before I went down to the strip.

Loaded the standard coins program, tones smooth and combined, removed any discrimination from the screen and switched Fast ON.
Raised coil 3 feet in the air, raised sens to something like 28, it started twitching, dropped sens a little and did an auto noise cancel.
Noise cancel 4 was selected by the machine.

Dropped sens down to 15 manual and started hunting. That is about a 50% sens gain for the CTX.

I've hunted the strip with a CZ-3D with the 8" coil and pulled coins next to iron.
Same with the X-terra 705 with the 5" 18kHz coil and managed to pull some nice nickels.

A very nice result indeed, especially because I traced behind in my own CZ-3D and 705 footsteps.
Please remember that removed trash and high conductors unmask other/deeper trash and high conductors.

Beavertails with a high tone, a deepisch shrapnell ball, old WWI or WWII cartridge, few copper shards from a grenade impact, lead fishing sinkers,...
6 coins with a nice deep 1965 nickel coin, now that is a decent result.

Especially because the lake was only built in 1981 and the café opened around 1985.

The strip.

Combined CZ, X-terra, CTX effort: small coils and machine gun audio.

Any reservations about using the CTX in an iron infested enviroment for coin shooting were misjudged on my part.
Wouldn't use the big coil though, a bit overkill.

HH
Johnb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2013 08:49PM by scoopjohnb.