Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Believe it or not i had a CZ3D once but............

Posted by AMCJAVELIN 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Believe it or not i had a CZ3D once but............
March 06, 2013 12:17AM
this is question for Tom, 3years ago i tried a cz and liked it but i kept having alot of targets with the issue of high and low tone at the same time and when i would get this tone the target 90% of the time was junk now is this a normal thing with that machine or do you think it was out of tune or maybe i wasn't running it right? loved the freq combo of 5-15khz
Re: Believe it or not i had a CZ3D once but............
March 06, 2013 12:46AM
AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is question for Tom, 3years ago i tried a cz
> and liked it but i kept having alot of targets
> with the issue of high and low tone at the same
> time and when i would get this tone the target 90%
> of the time was junk now is this a normal thing
> with that machine or do you think it was out of
> tune or maybe i wasn't running it right? loved the
> freq combo of 5-15khz

I actually own a CZ3D - 1021 Los Banos model tuned by the maestro, Tom Dankowski himself.

Here's my opinion of the 3D...and bear in mind I am by no means an expert on this machine or have even a tenth of the knowledge Tom & others might have on it. Again, strictly opinion based on hunting hard with the unit for roughly a year or so..

IMHO, a properly tuned 3D - especially the Los Banos models - are EXTREMELY hard to beat on depth. Super deep!!! And I don't care what machine or brand you throw it up against. Also, simple to operate & very smooth operation. But...

It does - as do most Fishers & Teknetics models - have an attraction to deep iron, IMO. More specifically, the iron will register in the coin range most times & even the tone will fool you into thinking deep coinage. Of course, there ARE ways to SOMETIMES have the iron reveal itself before you dig, but, as with any brand or model, it isn't fullproof.

Again, THE deepest unit I ever owned, period. But it does have the affinity for deep iron. So, I do dig my far share. I obviously wouldn't know if you have a broken unit or not, but, just wanted to share my thoughts and experience with you. Dig the iron! There's lots of "good" stuff near it winking smiley

And stick with the 3D, you will not be sorry!

P.S. - One trick you can try to get the deep iron to "reveal" itself is: sweep the target from all angles. A coin or piece of jewelry should have a good tone from every angle. Whereas a piece of junk will often ring in as high tone from one or two directions winking smiley

P. P. S. - Getting a bouncy low/high, high/low signal on ANY machine normally means junk...unless its deep - at which point the detector might be "confused" because of the depth. Me personally, I don't dig signals that bounce drastically from high to low and vice versa UNLESS the site is fairly old and/or the target is deeper than 3 or 4".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 02:05PM by njnydigger.
March 06, 2013 02:40AM
Try this, don't cancel out iron when setting your disc. Listen for that low tone when you rotate around a target deep or shallow. If I get more than 1 or 2 low tones when rotating around the target, it will be iron most every time. I tested this by digging every target with this signature on several hunts. Great info here and on Toms videos.
March 06, 2013 07:33AM
Even the Cz6a seems to have the same problem. If it does not ring true on every angle, it is probably iron if it is deep. Only way to know for sure is to dig it. The digital machines are more like toys to me. They tell you what to think. The analog machines give you the option of what to think. Experience is the true teacher and no computer can out think your brain.
March 06, 2013 11:02AM
Yes, deep iron with many different brands of units can be a problem; however, with a bit of practice on the CZ platform...... can be mastered. The extra depth CZ's acquire...... comes with a cost; yet, this iron falsing can be learned. . . . so as to take advantage of the extra depth. Ground Balance adjustments can help mitigate a lot of the problems. Rarely do I ever dig iron with a CZ...... unless I choose to do such.
March 06, 2013 03:08PM
After using CZ's every model ever made for the last 20 odd years agree with Tom and sure all of us get fooled now and then especially going for an extremely deep iffie..but with practice you will dig little or no iron as well it just sounds different to a trained ear. Still remember my first CZ6 in early 90's when I dug 8 deep rusty nails in a row and almost wrapped it around a tree and my hunting buddy said nice nail getter you have. As far as repeating from 4 angles walking around the target on an extreme deepie you have to work to make it repeat from 2 so this is not always applicable. My advice is to google Mikes CZ page as it contains a lot of CZ info as Mike has used a CZ for the last 20 years also and has compiled a nice page of tips.
Tom's concept of the CZ3D are excellent especially if you hunt real old areas however I prefer a CZ6A as its weather resistant, and areas I hunt for the most part are old areas still being used but if I hunted old areas not used in modern times would probably have a CZ3D as this unit excells in this enviroment.
Heres the page I am referring to [mikewd.fws1.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 03:12PM by Dan-Pa..
March 06, 2013 03:56PM
Getting a Tom modified CZ3D this week. Watched his video multiple times. Can't wait to start the learning process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 03:56PM by smudge.
March 06, 2013 04:14PM
smudge Wrote:
> Getting a Tom modified CZ3D this week. Watched his
> video multiple times. Can't wait to start the
> learning process.

You are going to LOVE the unit!!! Simple to use, no frills or complicated settings & one of the deepest detectors out there. I have hunted with many Minelab guys in the past & the CZ hears everything their machines can...sometimes with a clearer, louder & more pronounced signal smiling smiley
March 06, 2013 06:01PM
Hi guys i am new around here and would like to say hi and i appericate Tom for providing this site for our use. Seems like a bunch of great guys here.

This is against most everyones sugestions but i tried it anyway and prefer it in most situations.

I use mine in salt mode. I found that a lot of the targets that the machine was high toning on and putting in the coin category will still high tone but drops them into the zink category. I loss a little depth by switching to salt but by cranking up the GB from say 65 to 80 i get that depth back.Now all this is in my mild E.Texas soil. Another thing that causes a problem at times is that on a deep coin the 3D will give an iron tone. Some times on those deep ones that give the bounce high/low tone i switch to Disc.=2 and it helps clear things up.Not always but sometimes.
Pac Man
March 06, 2013 09:11PM
njnydigger Wrote:
> smudge Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Getting a Tom modified CZ3D this week. Watched
> his
> > video multiple times. Can't wait to start the
> > learning process.
>
> You are going to LOVE the unit!!! Simple to
> use, no frills or complicated settings & one of
> the deepest detectors out there. I have hunted
> with many Minelab guys in the past & the CZ hears
> everything their machines can...sometimes with a
> clearer, louder & more pronounced signal smiling smiley

Thanks Digger. It looks like the biggest challenge is going to be learning the difference between iron high tones vs. coin high tones. I know that moving around the target can sometimes expose the low tones, but Tom, at least, seems to be able to simply pass some high tones by because they don't sound right to him. I'd love to get to that point.
March 06, 2013 09:15PM
Pac man Wrote:
> Hi guys i am new around here and would like to say
> hi and i appericate Tom for providing this site
> for our use. Seems like a bunch of great guys
> here.
>
> This is against most everyones sugestions but i
> tried it anyway and prefer it in most situations.
>
> I use mine in salt mode. I found that a lot of the
> targets that the machine was high toning on and
> putting in the coin category will still high tone
> but drops them into the zink category. I loss a
> little depth by switching to salt but by cranking
> up the GB from say 65 to 80 i get that depth
> back.Now all this is in my mild E.Texas soil.
> Another thing that causes a problem at times is
> that on a deep coin the 3D will give an iron tone.
> Some times on those deep ones that give the bounce
> high/low tone i switch to Disc.=2 and it helps
> clear things up.Not always but sometimes.
> Pac Man

Pacman, in reading Tom's postings on the CZ3D, the one down side he found to hunting in salt mode on dry land was that some coins would lose their high tone characteristics and give a mid-tone or possibly junk tones. This is not universally true on all coins, but he did notice a pronounced difference on tone variations in the salt mode. He covers this in his Fisher Intelligence article on the CZ3D post on his main page.

Best of luck to you!