Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Head To Head Put It To Bed = FZ-12 Vs 10.5"

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Head To Head Put It To Bed = FZ-12 Vs 10.5"
April 10, 2013 08:55PM
Hi,, okay I'm discombobulated as to which coil is the best for depth and overall use? I read that the Sunray FZ-12 gets more depth if so how much more? I also think I read that Tom says the Fisher 10.5" is better overall ....It makes sense to me that the bigger FZ-12 would get more depth because of it's size difference....But on the other hand the Fisher 10.5" has a bigger receive coil so in theory it should be able to interpret the signal better....Which means a more accurate analysis of the signal with an overall better ID of any given target....My friend tried a test on a freshly buried 7" penny with a Fisher ID Edge, the stock 8" coil hit it so,so, but the 10.5" coil hit on it really good, even with a 2" air gap....So this has me wanting a bigger coil for some designated areas I want to search with my Fisher CZ-3D....The Sunray coil price is scary, if you can find one?, but the Fisher coil is readily available and the price is okay and doable....Has anyone done a head to head test in the field on these two coils? On a side note my 3D equipped with a 5" coil air tests a penny at 8" (11" plus with the stock coil) and will only grunt some low tones on this same 7" buried target....My friends new T2 equipped with a 5" coil does the same thing, even when cranked to full sensitivity....We can both hit it with no problem with our stock coils....Now I kinda know why I can't do very good in a high trash environment with a 5" coil....The few coins that I do coax out of a high trash area with the stock coil tend to average six inches deep or more....The shallower coins have been excavated years ago by other detectorists....I have read conflicting reports on the 5" coils air and in the ground tests.....Which leaves me even more dazed and confused about bigger and smaller coils....I have been detecting for over 30 plus years and grow even more disgruntled about this hobby...I think that is what makes this hobby so expensive and challenging....I now believe only what I experience too be true and call my own trials and tribulations as FACTS....JJ
Re: Head To Head Put It To Bed = FZ-12 Vs 10.5"
April 10, 2013 10:46PM
You never mentioned your ground mineralization level. I'm sure you know the larger coils don't work very well in high or even moderately mineralized grounds.
I wonder how CZ's do in particular since they are concentric and not DD.

Albert
April 10, 2013 11:46PM
Hi, I'm in Mi. the AT normally ground balances in the 80's, the 3D is usually 3-4 on the dial.....I believe the bigger coil would cut the Mustard....The test on the ID Edge kinda verified that.....JJ
April 11, 2013 12:49AM
Could you imagine a double d coil on a CZ that would be a dream machine!!
April 11, 2013 01:14AM
Hi,,I hear ya on the DD coil....I love my Tom tuned 3D, I must have a good one because I don't get the iron falsing a lot people report....Right now were all rained in but the ground was really hot the last time I was out especially with all the moisture we had in the past....I prefer to hunt when the ground is not so wet, drier conditions tame the iron conductivity level down....JJ
April 11, 2013 03:19AM
My FZ-12 goes 1"~1.5" deeper on a dime than my 10.5" on my CZ-3D.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 03:30AM by Lipservice.
April 11, 2013 01:13PM
Briefly 12 will add inches to the depth and cover more ground not to mention its configuration which makes it easier to swing and is the clear winner head to head.

Both are about the same weight and will make your unit nose heavy...keep in mind large coils depending on the mineralization and general conditions may be a minus.

Not something I read in a book and from actual hunting conditions...had an early one which I sold(gave away) when I no longer hunted beaches and on land the stock 8 goes as deep as I want to dig considering the many 9 inch plus coins I have dug.

Would I buy one for these outlandish prices, certainly not as if it goes down...no longer made and would make an expensive wall ornament.
April 11, 2013 06:27PM
I own both and will say, if the FZ12" has an edge its not much, Lipservice said 1- 1/12", I get about an 1"+ depending on setup. If your hunting an area that the extra inch means everything, then get one. They both seem almost equal on stability. I use them at the beach or open ground, when in trash or multiple target areas there is just to much info coming through for me, (time for the 8").
April 11, 2013 07:02PM
Hi...WOW I was not expecting that much variance between the two.....I have an area I want to work that is sparse with hardly any targets....But I'm certain there is still deeper targets located here....I was pulling deep targets out of this area 20 or so years ago...I would like to get a big coil, maybe even the Sunray FZ-12 but can't afford it right now,not to mention the asking prices I've seen is just ridiculous ....Anyone have a free one they would like to donate to my exploratory excavation project, just PM me.....You know an inch don't sound like much, but you add an inch to your nose and see how you look....JJ
April 11, 2013 08:27PM
Heck just add the coverage and its a plus....I still say inches but my ground is moderate....add a wet saltwater beach and may be a dead tie as 12 would see more ground and be a minus..in this enviroment.

This could get real weird discussed on a facebook page where both sexes could add input...

Coudn't resist the aforementioned line.....
April 11, 2013 08:48PM
Jimmy...PM sent on the FZ12
April 12, 2013 12:09AM
The FZ-12 is NOT calibrated to the CZ like the factory FISHER coils.
April 12, 2013 01:53AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The FZ-12 is NOT calibrated to the CZ like the
> factory FISHER coils.

That's probably where Tom could set the CZ the best to whatever coil was sent when calibrating the detector...whether it be an 8",10.5" or another...?
April 12, 2013 11:55AM
Of all of my testing (I have only had 3 FZ-12 coils to test).......... not one of them exceeded the depth of the 10.5" factory coil. Two of the FZ's slightly exceeded the depth capabilities of the stock 8"....... and the other FZ was slightly less than stock 8" CZ. This is with/in Florida's inert dirt (test-garden).
And in all cases........ ID was slightly inaccurate...... especially (most noticeable) on nickels.... with these FZ-12 coils.
April 12, 2013 01:53PM
The FZ-12 is a way over priced coil!! Jimmy if you want to clean that area out get you a Whites TDI or some other type of pulse machine and dig everything!
April 12, 2013 02:19PM
I've always been amazed at the depth that the 8" coil has on the CZ's...
April 12, 2013 06:03PM
Coil for coil none deeper...even the Explorer series with 8 inch coil won't touch it...remember its stock coil is 10.5......

Again as deep as I want to dig....now for you relic guys with shovels in the boonies can understand why your looking for more depth swinging garbage can lids....type coils....
April 12, 2013 06:20PM
Hi, I'm not after relics or caches I would use a bigger coil for only certain designated areas....They should theoretically speaking be the bees knees on quarter size on up coins...If I ever get out of my welfare state of mind I will maybe be able to try one out someday....JJ

edit took away an I ......LoL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2013 06:30PM by jimmyjiver.
April 13, 2013 12:57PM
I like the 10.5 and FZ12 for wet sanding when the beaches are sanded in and targets are sparse. I like the 5 inch coil in trashy parks.

But 95% of the time, the 8 inch coil stays on all my CZ's as I have found it is the overall best coil for almost any type of hunting. Most of my beach hunting is done with the 8 inch coil due to it's depth, ease of pin pointing without having to use the pin point button, sensitivity and the ability to get the coil into the hole to poke around. Bigger coils need a bigger dug out hole to be able to search around in there and search the sides of the hole if necessary. Pretty easy to do with the 8 inch coil.

I can see the use of the bigger coils for relic hunters, pasture hunting, etc. where there is a lot of open area, and a hunter wants a much depth as they can get due to some bigger targets ( like belt plates) being a prime target.