Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Performance differences between the CZ7A Pro and CZ3D ?

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Performance differences between the CZ7A Pro and CZ3D ?
August 28, 2013 02:30PM
I'm interested in getting everyone's opinion on the performance difference between the CZ7A Pro and a Tom calibrated SN 1021 CZ3D for land and beach hunting.

Thanks,

El
Re: Performance differences between the CZ7A Pro and CZ3D ?
August 28, 2013 04:41PM
The 3D will have the extra relic tone and be better for old coins (the best machine for old coins, IMHO). A good 1021Tom tuned 3D will in most cases be deeper than the 7a Pro, though ive seen a few that were just as powerful.
One big advantage the 7a Pro has is definately the really nice balance it has over the un-balanced 3D, which helps on the long days.
Both are great machines.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 05:05PM by Aaron.
August 28, 2013 05:43PM
Depth differences could go either way pro or con or might be the same...in any case depends on the unit in hand...CZ7A pro has notches while CZ3D just has a linear disc. CZ3D is a little faster and imagine better battery consumption as CZ7A takes AA batts and CZ3D takes 2 9 volts....CZ7A is weather resistant and CZ3D is not...Would advise you to google manuals for both and read them over...All in all CZ3D is a better old coin unit in advanced mode but expect more digging...In addendum CZ3D is analog and CZ7A pro is digital and many prefer either. Personally having used both would be quite comfortable and confident with either...but indeed the CZ7A pro is better balanced for long hunts....
August 29, 2013 04:50PM
Just a small humble question, Dan. If I understand your comment on battery life it is not what I found. The AA CZs usually run about twice as long on a set of batteries than a 9v. The exception is the 4 battery waterproof units (CZ20/21).

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
August 29, 2013 08:30PM
Also here's a another thing that may help you decide Fisher no longer has digital screens in stock should the screen go bad.
August 30, 2013 01:10PM
Tom relative batteries CZ7A pro takes 12 AA batteries and gets about 80-90 hrs on a set..
CZ3D takes 2 nine volts for 15-20 hours..Of course it depends on what brand you use and the price you pay but roughly CZ 3D 8 or 10 nine volts and CZ7A pro 12 AA to equal the same hunting time and imagine all depends on the unit in hand as they vary a tad...
August 30, 2013 04:23PM
CZ7 & CZ7A run on AA batteries. The CZ7A Pro runs on two 9 volt batteries.
August 30, 2013 06:36PM
OK using your numbers, Dan, 80 hours run time uses 12 AA vs 8 9v. I cannot find 9v.s for less than $2 apiece so say $16. I just bought 24 high end AAs for $10 at CVS. So by my reckoning I could run 3x plus with the same cost using AAs. Where am I wrong?
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
August 30, 2013 10:12PM
Elbert is correct and my bad as I gave poor info..so battery usage is pretty close on either...as both use two nine volts...
Have personal problems and affecting my integrity so my apologizes to the forum...nuff said I guess...so lets move on as both are excellent units and many prefer either...
August 31, 2013 05:52AM
Didn't interpret your response any other way but to be helpful.

Appreciate your input along with everyone else's.

Just pointed out the batteries for the different machines because I could see a little confusion was setting in.

Thanks again.

El
August 31, 2013 01:19PM
CZ-3D is specifically designed.... and targets 'old coins' (with a 'coins' high-tone audio report). CZ-7 // 7a // 7a Pro does not. (Many old coins ID as 'pull-tab' // trash on CZ-7/a/Pro.
September 01, 2013 04:43AM
Thank you Tom.
September 01, 2013 02:11PM
One more aspect or two....old nickels such as shield, V, buffalo may ID as foil or foil to nickel bounce on the CZ7A pro whereas on the CZ3D they all for the most part come in nickel in advanced mode. Also shortage of parts on the CZ7A pro should dial into your decision as CZ3D is still being made and all parts readily available. Having used every model CZ ever made speak from experience and although old technology will keep up with the best of them.
September 02, 2013 09:18AM
There are MANY more 'other denomination' coins that ID as a mid-tone.......... (((other than just nickels)))......... on the non-CZ-3D units.