Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Debated over talking about what I have seen with the T2 S.E. regarding E.M.I.

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Debated over talking about what I have seen with the T2 S.E. regarding E.M.I.
October 02, 2013 10:03PM
But I decided I will tell what I have seen recently with the T2-S.E.Black edition..

I have had about 6 T2's...2 original green one's... and 1 Camo LTD and 2 S.E.'s

While I love the original T2 in every aspect the Camo LTD and the S.E. black edition were very erratic when the Boost process was used....actually unless I was way back in the woods the EMI was awfull and 99 sens in BP was no way attainable...

I know even the regular T2 is prone to picking up EMI but the boost took it to the next level in noise...

I also find the same problem with the F75 S.E.

Well I know about a year ago or so First Texas started trying to stop some of the EMI problems in the Omega...and they got pretty good with it too I might add..

So I had it in my mind I wanted to see what a newer T2 S.E. would do and if they had even tried to work on the problem or not..

I lucked into finding a like new one, almost new recently bought at a very reasonable cost I might add so I took a chance to satisfy my curiosity...

I have ran it it in some very heavy EMI areas since having it and I must say that I can run Boost 99 sens almost everywhere I go ..From high line's to Broad band in neighborhoods I can use it very easily....

And this leads to what I really wanted to share with you..

If you can find a Quite running T2 S.E. the first thing that will blow your mind is the airtest depth's...I dont want to sound like a nut but a quarter can be heard at 2 foot on boosted 99 sens...

And in the field the best has happened....put the small coil 5 inch on and run BP 99 sens not 98 or 97 but 99 in hte thickest of iron and you will be amazed at the finds that will come out of a hunted out site....

At first I thought it was just a fluke, mabye wet ground I thought...then on a dry grud nday back to the same spot for reassurance again more target's at nice depth in dense iron nails agian....

the BP 99 actually i.d.s iron better than the stock mode on 99 sens and that's usually how I hunt with the T2 stock mode 2 tone 99 sens...but the BP mode turns those faint high tone nail falses you experience in stock mode into solid iron grunt's...it actually helps to i.d. iron better!!... All you have to do is slow your sweep speed down a bit to allow the BP mode's slower recovery to work...

I have never been able to run the BP mode wide open because of all the emi noise I get ..Well not with this machine...

I wish everyone could experience the BP mode in a quite emi free hunt.....you would have new respect for the BP mode...

I as of now have had to rethink my arsenal working order...

Some of the non ferrous target's I am getting out of nails at depth is almost eerie...

Jsut last night at dark I worked on a hole for a good 10 minute's I kept geting a strong hit form the get go but pulled so much iorn out of the hole I started think maye it was a larger piece of iron false..but it was not it turned out to be a Civil War eagle cuff button at a solid 9 inches and the whole time it sounded awesome hight tone with alot of grunts mixed in too and it was in between my old dig hole's....once it was out of the hole I checked the hole to make sure I was not chasing a piece of flat iron and lucked up on the button ..but it was the button the whole time...and over the last couple of weeks of quick hour long evening hunt's I have seen the same type scenario play out in hunted hard site's...

One thing of note is if I turn the sens back off 99 to just 98 or 97 the whole attitude changes and the finds start to deminsh while in BP mode...

The BP mode aslo seems to allow for more of a blendy tone hunt wiht the slower recovery....its not a slug but it's not as fast as the stock mode....And it seems to be more sure of itself... maybe it snapshot's longer?but the audio is different...

anyhow some things I have seen and thought I would share...

and EMI free BP mode is AWESOME>>>>

Keith
Re: Debated over talking about what I have seen with the T2 S.E. regarding E.M.I.
October 02, 2013 10:54PM
Darn it Keith, how do you always end up with the hot detectors? NLOL. My 10 mo old T2se running bp, 99 , gets 15" on a quarter in air, if I can hear it in between all the EMI.
What version do you have? I wish First Texas would have an update program available. Send it in , and get them updated.. I'll probably end up trading this one in and getting a European unit in a few months.
Re: Debated over talking about what I have seen with the T2 S.E. regarding E.M.I.
October 02, 2013 11:10PM
Hey Possum...

If you cycle through enough of the same models you will find some GOOD UN's..LOL!!!!

(((((I know I bought a Deep tech Vista Gold off a forum member here recently and it was like new but I could tell it did not run right and acted weird...So I sent it to the factory and sure enough some resistors were used of the wrong OHM...Messed up the Tone break' point's..So get ahold of enough machines and you will see good and bad at time's ..The trouble is knowing when you have a good un and when you have a bad un...))).

I know it sounds crazy but just because you bought one 10 months ago it does not mean it was just built...

Never Know how long a dealer has them or how long a disributor has had them..

I dont have a hot detector I have an very EMI resitant BP process machine.

The BP mode is hot by itself...

I just had a hunch if they could get some EMI out of them they would be eye openers...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 11:18PM by Keith Southern.
October 02, 2013 11:23PM
Can I put this out there.....should we start looking for certain T2 SE's in a serial number batch, similar to the 1021 CZ3D's ?

This is not sarcasm, but an honest question about how one would determine 'newer' units that may be better at handling EMI.

I had an F75 LTD and the unit was great up to a certain point. Juicing it up caused major erratic function and in some spots near homes, forget it.

The ergonomics of the F75 and T2 are outstanding, and the fast recovery speed and sensitivity are super, but that darn EMI made me sell my F75 LTD.

Any chance to up the probability of getting a stable one would be sweet.
October 02, 2013 11:27PM
Your ability and integrity is unquestioned here, Keith. Please never hesitate to post your observations. If FT has gotten the EMI issue licked on their high end detectors that is major news...I believe the phrase around these parts is "paradigm shift."

It sounds like maybe the rumor you heard a while back about a cell phone tower going up next to the FT plant was true...bringing about major improvement with EMI shielding.
I have been using the F75 SE for several years in all metal boost process at remote locations and it is an awesome detector. I also have had several F75s and unfortunately all have been useless in urban locations. Oh yeah, I can dumb them down and they work but I want what you have - EMI free BP mode.

By coincidence I almost picked up a used T2 SE at a good price - maybe it was the same one? Unfortunately I am gun shy now and so I passed. I think I will wait for a G2 or Gold Bug Pro with Boost Process.
October 03, 2013 02:34AM
I'm going to send this to Mike Scott and see what he thinks I also would say it should be so cool if they take the next step on a new machine and give us a dream machine....So Keith with all of the machines you have hunted with is the one that is tops and what disc are you using..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 03, 2013 02:47AM
Rover I am not sure the T2's have serial number's..they might but I dont Know?

Again I was/am hessitant to talk about it even with Marcomo's kind word's.!

It may be a one off surprise find or it may be the new norm...I dont Know?

But it's night and day from the last BP FT machines I have had....

Now it does get some sensitivity sizzle to it above about 88 sens but its not that crazy erratic constant pinball machine in overload sound...

Steve this could be the one you were after..It was off Treasure Depot about a month ago ...I hear you on the Gun shy....If I had not seen what they did to the newer omegas Vs the older Omegas I would not of bothered with it...

I personally prefer a T2 to an F75 for relic hunt's.I know they are close yet I connect better wiht a T2 for some reason.. And too the Gain is not quite as high as the F75 so I find it to have a small bit less iron false....If you could find a Quite BP F75 machine I would think it would be truly eye opening in real world hunt's...

I might have to try and locate a fresh F75 S.E. Now LOL!!!

Does give hope to the future releases from FT...if they can quiten them down, maybe they can turn up the gain more---- maybe?

I hear you on a BP mode G2 that would be a great machine to have thats what that machine need's is a BP mode for sure.. ...or maybe the next incarnationT2 machine will have Freq selection from 8 - 14 - 19 khz...

I remember at one time thinking the BP mode was no more than a Audio amp....How wrong I was on that one!!!

Keith
October 03, 2013 02:58AM
Hi, It seems like anyone that has bought one these machines and is having problems with EMI & depth should contact the Fisher company and have them make it right....I know I'm telling my buddy about this and I'm sure he will contact them....I am positive that he don't get that distance on a quarter in an air test......It's hard to believe that the quality control would be this bad to have such a variance between machines...... JJ
October 03, 2013 03:05AM
I cant say its the top's Lawrenzo...theres an awful lot of great machines on the market...But I have a special place for the the T2 ..I feel it was a great step in detector design and I just clicked with it form the begining ....I was actually thinking of just getting a stock T2 and enjoying it for a I.D. purpose machine but decided to give a S.E. a try and glad I did ...because a proper BP machine will obsolete the stock mode...

But I can say the BP mode when allowed to be ran wide open offers a real sense of how should I say confidence and more encouragement to the hunt...

Foot deep buttons are not a problem in open area's in BP wide open mode and thats in red clay...

I wish I Knew more to tell you. there's people out there with proper running T2 S.E.'s I am sure but maybe they dont know how a non proper one runs so they cant compare..

I think that most of the people that would notice any difference have like Steve said started to shy away from them so they dont really get alot of positve talk ...I dont Know...

One thing I do Know is you never Know till your try...But I would hate for someone to buy a brand new one and see poor result's...

Its just questions I cant answer..But I thought I would put it out there and maybe others would chime in..I do think FT is trying to resolve the EMI though...I feel this to be anaccurate statement, from the older machines I have had to the newer ones I have...

But I can say a Proper BP machine is just a real pleasure to use and very sure of its self ...And gives a real feeling of confidence...
October 03, 2013 03:15AM
Hey Jimmy My buddy had a camo F75 that was almost unusable in BP mode...He sent it in to FT and thye saaid they shielded the coil? wel whatever they did his runs very very well...not quit like my T2 S.E. but you hvae to remember the F75 BP verison is a tad bit hotter to start with..but He can run His in alot of places Boosted and 99 sens with small coil....

His airtest to the stratopshere also...

maybe there is some sort of new wasy of shielding...but you will Know if you have a proper one Vs a non proper one once you get above about 70 BP mode...

Keith
October 03, 2013 03:22AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, It seems like anyone that has bought one these
> machines and is having problems with EMI & depth
> should contact the Fisher company and have them
> make it right....I know I'm telling my buddy about
> this and I'm sure he will contact them....I am
> positive that he don't get that distance on a
> quarter in an air test......It's hard to believe
> that the quality control would be this bad to have
> such a variance between machines...... JJ

From what I'm seeing Jimmy, it doesn't sound like a quality control issue between different machines. The impression I'm getting is that FT has, through better shielding, software enhancements, or whatever, made their more recently manufactured detectors less prone to EMI.
October 03, 2013 03:32AM
Hi, hey Keith my buddy has had two 75's the first one was noisy & almost unusable but the second one ran great and was stable with minimum noise....But like a fool he sold it and bought the T2 and now he misses the 75....He's almost afraid of buying another one because he uncertain on how it will run.......JJ
October 03, 2013 03:45AM
Hey Jimmy there again...I jsut dont Know what to tell anyone...it could be jsut luck of the draw...I have had some F75's Boosted that were just plain awfull...I have had T2 Boosted that were just plain awful....

But this one is different ..and its new so does that mean its made this year sor was it an exceptional specimen?

From the track record i am seeing with FT in the last year I lean towards they are figuring out the EMI problem's..

It does not mean that the othners wer poor quality control though it just means they are evolving...

I actually applaud FT for staying with the development of the platform...can an old one be tuned to act like the newest one? I dont Know maybe not...

I will say this though if you have a proper BP machine you can realize just how much the platfrom is capable of doing and see it's a frontrunner in more than one category...A true world class force to be reckoned with...

the BP mode actually makes you forget about the unavailablity of user defined tone break ability....the Bp mode actually almost erases the need...

Something different takes place when BP mode is used wide open...the audio changes the recovery changes the machine becomes more sleuthy....almost like the factory set tone break is acceptable and a user defined tone break would not change the final outcome that much....Raw horsepower even in iron is a required Must...I knew it now I see it...

Keith...
October 03, 2013 04:01AM
Hi marcoma,,,It's seems like a quality control issue when possum mo is only getting 15" and Keith is getting 24" on the same target....My buddies new T2 probably don't even get 14"......If it's true that they made software changes or found a fix for their EMI issues they should contact their loyal customers and make it right with them....JJ
October 03, 2013 05:36AM
Jimmy, I agree that is a large variance between 14" and 24" assuming they are both at the same settings.

Sometimes deep depth claims are best taken with a grain of salt, but Keith is a straight-shooter. If he says he hears a quarter at 2 feet, he does.
October 03, 2013 10:33AM
I would love to see a video of the newer T2 se running in the same places right after an older one for comparison. Same with the newer Omega. Ive owned 2 boosted F75's, one camo and a black SE. I never considered them that bad with EMI compared to other machines I have used, just a bunch of ground chatter. The Omega on the other hand, I don't know how many times I turned it off to switch to another machine. I thought I had a malfunctioning unit till I tried it side by side with another Omega and it had the same issues. Now throw my Gold Bug in the mix and it isnt fair. They run so smooth that its a selling point.
October 03, 2013 10:51AM
Keith, you should contact Dave J. and ask if he would like for you to send the unit in for him to look at. If it can be done once then they can see what is different. I have the F75 LTD and boost is not an option unless I'm way out in the boonies. I have several sites where EMI is so bad I have to hunt in de/pf mode with sensitivity in the 30's. Call or shoot Dave J. and I'm sure he will be interested. Keep us posted
wjs
October 03, 2013 12:39PM
If you ever decide to sell this one Keith can I be first in line.....;o)
October 03, 2013 12:47PM
I played with one last month that was brand new out of the box at North GA Relics. Inside his shop you couldn't run boost mode at all due to the EMI and it chattering; numbers jumping continually. Don always keeps a fresh supply of machines because he sells so many of them, so I'm fairly confident the one I played with was about as new from the factory as you could get. I don't see how it would be any different outside around EMI, so I passed it up. I ended up buying a brand new regular F75 over the black model T2 and black model F75. Thus far the F75 acts like my older F75 did....always a little sparky but not so bad that I can't hunt in the city areas. Some frequencies are better than others; gotta play around and see which one is the less noisy...but some are sure worse than the others.

The F75 is a bullet finding machine for me. It always was. That thing loves lead; either that or I just have my ears tuned for picking out deep lead with it. I've been hitting these little sites in the city that my buddies have hit for the past yr or so...and have found Civil War bullets in every one of them thus far. They are sites that are super small and picked over pretty well by my buddies...except they run their T2s and F75s in disc mode, and I run mine in motion all metal. One of them saw me at one of the sites the other day and pulled in to see if I was doing any good. When I showed him the 3 dropped minies that I'd just dug, it was like he had seen a ghost. He just couldn't believe anything at all had came out of there. Fun stuff smiling smiley
October 03, 2013 12:51PM
All I know is I tried the early T2-F75-F70 and Excedrin headache was on the menu to get any depth and glad some of the newer ones do not have an EMI problem but think I will stick with a CZ.....Almost to the point if you don't get to try a unit before you buy you never know what your getting and wish the manufacturer or manufacturers would stabilize the problems as seems if you get a good one an awesome unit as verified from some awful good detectorists...
October 03, 2013 02:18PM
Keith, I remember your posts about the difference in the new Omega unit (including pictures of wiring) and if I remember right the official response from FTP was basically "no comment". If they have indeed developed methods of handling EMI better then I would think they would want to let everyone know. Several of their units are known for EMI issues, wouldnt it make sense for FTP to use this advancement to increase sales? This isnt meant to read as sceptical about what you are saying by the way. I saw the difference in the pictures you posted. I just dont understand why they would be hush hush about it instead of confirming/denying it.
October 03, 2013 02:31PM
CS their probably affraid of being flooded with detectors needing the fix. I had a T2SE and never used the boost or cache modes due to EMI I sold it to get my AT-Gold if I ever get another it will be the T2 standard green machine.
October 03, 2013 04:36PM
Keith, when you say EMI was a problem previously at a sensitivity of 99, you mean that with the coil motionless the machine chattered and the TID jumped about? Or do you mean that it did the same when the coil was in motion? The first sounds like EMI but the second sounds like ground interference.

I'd assume that whatever redesign applied to the Omega coils has been adapted for the T2SE coils too. Is there a serial number for the coils on the box the T2 came in?
October 03, 2013 07:35PM
The first 4 digits of a Teknetics (or Fisher) serial number indicates the month and year it was made,
You're making me almost wanna buy a new T2 SE Keith!

I don't think the little woman would go for that rgt now though after all the buy/sell/trade I did over the spring/summer to end up with an ETrac and Deus

she'd be a little hot if I went out and dropped another $900/$1000 or so and I wouldn't hear the end of it for a long time!

That and I'm looking for a replacement machine for water hunting so I've gotta pick/choose my battles wisely here (can't have em all)!

Good read here though - thanks for sharing ;-)

MRH
Wayne
October 03, 2013 10:07PM
I love my T2se, it's the deepest most sensitive machine I have ever used. I closeted my 1021 CZ3D because it's that much better in the relic spots I hunt & that is saying something! I have taken it to spots where my friends & I have pounded with whites & CZ:s. The spots continued to produce lots of relics & old coins. Now the trick for me was putting on a 15"/12" SEF coil. Talk about DEEP. I have found .58 cal Minnie balls at 15" no kidding. Its nothing to dig 10" bullets with this set up. Also the ground coverage is great. It's a noisy machine cranked up but if you use them long enough you will love them. HH TIM
October 04, 2013 12:32AM
Hey Keith, I can't afford to buy a new detector every month! When I ordered the detector from the dealer, he was out of stock, so the factory sent it directly to me. I do like the machine, just the emi and lack of depth sucks. I like the Ergonomics, ease of use and set up, VDI.I especially like that 5 coil. The depth meter is off, anything 2-4 " deep registers at 5 or 6, but no big deal.
Its a clad coin killer, 0-6" deep it does not miss. My deepest coin has been 7.5" quarter. ( I rescan the areas for the deep coins , using a $300 modded Cibola, and it pulls coins down to 9"} The soil here is tough. If Keith can hit 12" in his soil, I can hit 9" in my soil.
I'm headed out to the boonies tomorrow, Ill try the emi air tests again, see if I can get more depth. If not, I think Keith and myself should both send our machines in to DJ, at the same time, so He can compare, and hopefully get confused, and send me Keiths hot one, and my cool one to Keith! LOL !
October 04, 2013 01:16AM
Well if you got one from the factory daryl and it not very hot and its pretty recent then I dont Know...

Wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it <<<<<!>>>>> I have one of the Chinese Rip-Off's. ...LOL!!!!!

Keith
October 04, 2013 01:45AM
This is the reason I will not part w my F75 SE.....the thing continues to have no match w that 5" coil in iron!

Glad to see your back Keith, I hope you and your family are doing well and on the "mend".