Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

If you had 700 bux.....which detector would you buy?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
If you had 700 bux.....which detector would you buy?
November 01, 2013 04:49AM
Would you continue to wait upon First Texas mystery machine......or get a Gold Bug Pro with 11 inch DD coil and just go huntin. And if ya find something ..GOOD....and if ya don't find anything.....GOOD. I would get another G2 but the Gold Bug Pro DB just whips its fanny price-wise. Or it did a few months ago. Heck....maybe for that money I can get a real good unit.....USED. Anybody out there go a Goldmax (like the one's Keith is using.....18 khz)???? Don't want the 8 khz one......or 7 ...or 4 or whatever that other one is. I need an unmasker ala supreme if I am gonna find something.
Re: If you had 700 bux.....which detector would you buy?
November 01, 2013 10:27AM
Kevin, are you machine-less right now?

I would buy something with that $700. I couldn't be without a machine....life just wouldn't feel right.
November 01, 2013 10:47AM
Kevin, would you be happy with the depth of the gb pro or g2? Seems to me that the goldmaxx may be what you are looking for.
November 01, 2013 01:52PM
Kevin.......Kevin.......Kevin.......
November 01, 2013 02:48PM
Kevin------You GOTTA get u a tector!!!!----Bein without a detector is like walking down the street naked!!---Tell you what---get yourself one of those great little GB Pros, that oughta hold you till the next "urge" hits!----I got two of 'em & they are great little machines.---True, they aren't the deepest machines in the wild west---but---they got a LOT goin for them.----I gave up waitin on FT, made my predictions on a detector (time line) release from them a couple of times & they plumb embarrassed me with a "no show"--can you imagine them doin that?? ha ha----Now I hear the Whites new pin pointer isn't going to come out till the Spring market--I thought that one would be out for the year end holidays.-----I'm ramblin. (grin)----------Del
November 01, 2013 02:58PM
Hi Kevin,,,Since you don't seem to hang on to a detector very long, I would buy a very,very used Tesoro Compadre or a Wally World 500 and use the rest of the money to buy me a nice Christmas present....LoL....JJ
November 01, 2013 03:31PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin.......Kevin.......Kevin.......

What? What? What? .......lol!!!!!! I know. I already know. I just can't help it. C'mon guys. I know that one of you has a Goldmax GMP out there (i think that's what it's called). I don't care how ragged it might be.
I still have that Fisher F5 with DD coil. I could give the owner back his $275 and he'd be glad to get it. But I have used this F5 quite a bit and have noticed a glitch or two that is developing. For instance......the speaker jack. Besides......who DOESN'T like a new unit (or used) to be heading their way???? Heck, I may go with the Gold Bug Pro DP!!!! If I can get a certain dealer to be really nice.
November 01, 2013 04:32PM
If it were me and all I had was $700 to spend I'd get a used Gold Bug DP (11" biaxle coil) $400/$450

but add

5x10 elliptical (for iron work) no more than $100 used

and

13" ultimate (for depth) no more than $150 used

total $700

but

you get way more versatility than with a GMP

If I had a good primary machine I'd certainly add the GMP to the arsenal for the $700ish but I wouldn't buy one to use as my "only" machine

just my take on it

good luck with whatever you choose

MRH
November 01, 2013 06:14PM
A proper T2 S.E.

Keith
November 01, 2013 06:14PM
Thank you MRH!!! I need as much perspective as possible. Sometimes the trees become blurry for looking at the entire forest at once!!! I think I am leaning towards a Gold Bug Pro DP (with the latest program installed)
November 01, 2013 08:36PM
T2 SE................. and a shovel
November 01, 2013 08:57PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A proper T2 S.E.
>
> Keith

Or that works too!

I was only making my suggestion based on the 2 choices Kevin mentioned in his original post above as it seems those are what he's got his mind set on :-)
November 02, 2013 02:41AM
Del, last time I walked down the street naked, I spent the night in jail, lol. Kevin, don't wait on f.t., get ya agb pro.
November 02, 2013 11:52AM
I'd be inclined to get a A T Pro. HH jim tn
November 02, 2013 01:05PM
Might bring up the question at a club meeting if you belong to one or perhaps pick the brain of your local multi-line dealer as some detectors just work better in a particular area and either way it would help in your decision...
November 02, 2013 05:55PM
Gold Bug Pro for me or if I wanted more bells and whistles the MXT.
November 03, 2013 01:41PM
I think I'm the only person on the planet that didn't care for the Gold Bug Pro. I got mine with the 11" DD coil and I think it ranks among the top of my least liked machines. LOL Battery life on mine was horrible. I don't understand why they can make the T2 and F75 run so long on a single set of batteries and be overall a lot deeper penetrating machines...and yet the Gold Bug Pro would get about 1/4 of that battery life. I didn't get good battery life or depth with mine. It sure didn't last long with me either. I traded it back at the dealer for my first AT Pro.

$700 .....you have a bunch of great options in my opinion. I think you said you had never owned a Whites machine...maybe give one of those a try. You could track down a good used MXT for around $400 and then spend a little extra money for a DD coil for it, and have a pretty good machine for under $700.

You know I'm biased toward the F75 though, so that's what I'd lean to. But they aren't for everyone and do have a language that some don't try to understand and get frustrated with it very fast. I liked the T2 as well....but not as much as I like the F75. I don't know why they can't make the T2 retain it's settings when you turn it off. It doesn't take long to get them reset to where you need them...but I like being able to turn my machine off, then back on, and have those last settings automatically be there.
November 04, 2013 04:22PM
The F75SE with 5 inch coil extra is sounding good.....but I will have to wiat for a used one and THEN be quick on the draw. Which Im not. I don't know....The Tek G2.....seemed and me just seemed to connect. I used it..(but FIRST an F75SE) in my very first Civil War site.....which had been passed over in town for years and years and I found it untouched and brimming with goodies. (3 tranter revolver bullets was among the saved objects). I found them with the G2. But heck, they were just 4 or 5 inches down. One was right under the surface....that had BARELY missed the dozer's wicked blade when the house that now sits on it was erected. (it was erected in 1900)...might not have even had dozers then. Oh how I long for one of those iuntoched little picket camps where the soldiers spent the winter shaving, playing cards, (found several poker chips (of white lead), and doing all they did while in camp. Deep down, when I am searching a yard.....I am looking for that little picket camp. I have found a few since......one had a gold dollar in it. Just a few bullets, a cuff button, three half dimes, (1830, 1840, 1850). They were stuck togther (from fire, I am told, because the silver was brittle). I'm rambling. Thanks for the feedback guys. We are now in that crucial time. Deer season....and as soon as I tag a couple (I'm not a trophy hunter but am hopeful and will let some little bucks pass. A few. lol) and then.......time to break out the detector and head for the wooded ridges with year-round branches flowing in the holler. etc etc etc etc