Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Right shoulder rehab..

Posted by Miikey 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Right shoulder rehab..
April 07, 2014 12:26PM
Last Oct I had rotator cuff surgery. I've been back to work doing light duty for a month now. Shoulder still isn't quite right but its better then it was. Afraid to swing a detector just yet. Last time detecting was a year ago. Found a paper thin 186? Seated dime using my 3d at my secret beach spot. Have to be patient for a while longer till I get the ok. Lots of forum posts to catch up on.Good luck out there!!
Re: Right shoulder rehab..
April 07, 2014 12:39PM
Take it slow & easy when you start swinging again.----It's easy to have a "back set".---Been there, done that!
April 07, 2014 12:53PM
My brother in law a retired fireman had both rotator cups done, did his rehab and followed Doc's orders and at 80 just bowled another 300 game so its only a matter of time.
Seems like its job related lugging those high pressure hoses for 35 years. I know some guys can swing with both arms and do it well but on those long days I tried it to no avail.
PS: lot of lightweight units hitting the market so might be your choice in the future...
April 07, 2014 01:18PM
Find yourself a good brand of Glucosomine to help build up the sonovial fluid in the joint tissue. It will speed up your rehab and keep the joints healthy.

Aaron
April 07, 2014 03:27PM
Ice after work and take advil not a lot just after work. You could have scar tissue also. Find a brace you can wear while at work and if you detect. Dig with the strong arm or get a new light weight detector and take it slow a couple of hours on a day off and then ice it. You can find ice packs for that area go to Amazon and do a search..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Thanks guys...
April 07, 2014 04:44PM
I will see what doc has to say tomorrow. Thanks for the great advice.When I do start detecting I will put the 5 inch hockey puck on a bounty hunter rod if that's possible. Chestmount as light as possible. Now to update Mikes Cz Page. Need to put a counter on there and see if anyone even visits anymoresmiling smiley)
April 07, 2014 04:55PM
I visited your site about two or three weeks ago.

HH
Mike
April 07, 2014 05:26PM
I half popped out my right shoulder in january.

Short hunts, light units, harness, efficient diggers,... just have fun.

HH
Johnb
April 07, 2014 08:58PM
The rehab therapy like Dan says, is key, don't discount it....good luck Mike.
April 07, 2014 09:54PM
Listen to the doctor!
Had major surgery last year that i thought ended my already short detecting career. Did not listen as well as i should have and the result was two more surgerys which could have ended more than my detecting career. Because of that surgery i plan to be aroud a while ,also because of it i am limited to where and when i can hunt at times. Not complaining shoot im glad to be able to type these words.
Follow doctors advice/orders,go slow and use what ever devices that help reduce strain and you will be up and at it again in no time.
Sometimes we dont like the limitations life throws at us but we need to learn to accept them.The options are not good.
Hope you are back to 100% shortly.
Pac Man

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 11:39PM by Pac man.
April 08, 2014 12:21AM
Thanks for visiting my site Mike. Hope to update it soon. Its been online for around 15 yrs I recon.Glad folks still visit. Haven't been in the best of health the last few yrs but I am bouncing back. And yep, listening to my doctor for sure. It's been a very long recovery. Looking forward to the day I can recover some surface coins and jewelrysmiling smiley)
April 08, 2014 12:35AM
I thought I read some where that some of those joint supplements don't work I forget which one though. Anyways being a Drywaller for 30 years and lifting weights my right shoulder about had it. I tried the Tri-flex for about 6 months and did nothing as I guess for some it doesn't work. Anyways talked to a trainer at the gym and started doing a cable routine that worked my rear delts as the fronts are what get over worked. And I started taking a fish oil Tablet,1000 mg. of vitamin D,500 mg. of C and a good multivitamin daily. After a year of this my shoulder is back to about 90%. Thats good enough for me as I can still detect and work out 3 days a week. I had a friend who had surgey about the same time as mine started giving me trouble and his isn't as good as mine as he still can't work out. I'm not saying surgery is bad just not me. And when I first hurt my shoulder I couldn't put my arm over my head. I bet if I went to a surgen he would have wanted to cut on me that is if I had good insurance. LOL!
April 08, 2014 03:45AM
I had right rotator cuff sugery in 2005. After all of the range of motion rehab was finished, I saw another therapist to get some exercises specifically targeted for swinging a weight equal or more than that of my detector.

She started me out with just lifting arm (no weight) to the side for a dozrn reps and then 45 degrees off my right side. Did not life higher than shoulders.

After a week of those, started with a one pound weight. Does not seem like much but it was a big deal at the time. It took several weeks of working 10 or 15 reps about six times a day before I moved up to two pounds and repeated the same routine. That too several weeks.

To make a long story short, it was a lot of work but after a couple months of that, was able to swing the detector without problem. Just for not as long as I used to.

I would see a therapist and I am sure that they can point you at the right exercises.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
April 08, 2014 10:01PM
I've been taking glucosamine sulfate since 1998, trust me, it works! You just need to take the RIGHT brand.

Aaron
April 08, 2014 10:18PM
That's just it Aaron,It doesn't work for everybody even the expert's will tell you that. I know some at that GYM who love it and other's say it is a waste of money. Everbody is different that's why there is Chocalate and Vanilla.
April 09, 2014 03:34AM
Got the ok today to resume detecting. Yahoo!!! Just have to not overdo it. Still working on range of motion a little though the doc says its good. Will continue with the strength building exercises. Will check on that glucosamine stuff to see if its some thing I want to try. Cant wait to put the coil to the soilsmiling smiley)