Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Still using the E-Trac.. Sure wish that

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Still using the E-Trac.. Sure wish that
December 01, 2014 11:08AM
I had the guts to try the 3030 but do not want to have to learn another detector. Question? Is it worth the effort and how hard is it to learn??????????????????????????????????????
Re: Still using the E-Trac.. Sure wish that
December 01, 2014 11:52AM
IMO coming from an E-Trac it will be very very quick to learn. (At least it was for me)
I prefer the sounds on the E-Trac a bit more though, but the CTX is just so fast.

The E-Trac was poorly balanced, the CTX is expertly balanced but just too heavy (which is why I got rid of it - and I loved it.)
5lbs perfectly balanced is still 5lbs after 8 hours.

I did seem to find more coins at 9" with the CTX than with the E-Trac and I also found a few I had missed at depth that were closer to iron than the E-Trac could handle.
Great great machine if you can handle the weight. Short hunts it will be fine imo. (3-4 hours). The waterproof nature is awesome to rinse off at the end of hunts as well.
The color screen was pretty nice, albeit a bit difficult in the sun. But the target trace and other features, once learned, really add to the machines power.

Do a search here (or via google) as this question has been asked a few times before.

Best,
Albert
December 01, 2014 12:26PM
It's not an "instant" learning of the CTX when changing over from an Etrac

but

it's not as bad as like never having used an Etrac or CTX or FBS of any sort and starting new/fresh with one! lol

It took me literally 200 hrs just to START getting comfortable/confident with the Etrac and learning all of it's secrets and the menu/etc.

when I switched to the CTX - it took maybe 1/2 that time to get FULLY up to par with her ;-)
December 01, 2014 02:11PM
It was a very easy transition for me , the most difficult part is getting accustom to a different menu structure. Sounds are similar , I actually prefer the CTX on low condutors but not high and the CTX's additional tone features are very attractive as well as the GPS if you want to combine that with locating "wilderness" structures. I still use the etrac frequently because of the lack of alternate coils for the CTX at reasonable costs. I will say the CTX is very nice to use with the 17" without the need of a swing aid because of the balance while the etrac with a large coil gets heavy very quickly. I still have dependability concerns on the CTX--my wireless module has now croaked and needs servicing so the warranty is a must have. Never a hiccup with the etrac.
December 01, 2014 03:15PM
Years ago I started w the Expler SE Pro, took me 40hrs (and really hated it but stuck w it!) till I finally felt comfortable and started popin silver. I then got the Etrac, took me around 20hrs to learn that, and liked it even better especially in iron.

Now, with the CTX, I started really getting good w it I'm around 15-20hrs. Handles iron ALOT better than the other 2 and is excellent in iron w the small coil.

I find the CTX really is my go to machine, even when I haven't used it in awhile everything comes back easily. So much info to be learned on that machine.

Also, yes it is heavier but it's perfectly balanced, I can swing it in water or land for hours no prob. Built like a tank, will last for years. Never had a problem w it.

Aaron
December 01, 2014 11:55PM
I transitioned from etrac to 3030 very easy. The high tone on 3030 is not as nice IMO as the etrac. You will notice the extra weight. The 3030 does balance better than etrac. One can usually run higher manual sensitivity with the CTX versus etrac and still keep the machine tame enough to hunt. The screen could have better resolution on CTX, but this would take more battery power. I don't put mine under water, but when it's raining and warm outside I can hunt worry free.
December 02, 2014 03:24AM
Go buy one.
December 02, 2014 03:35AM
I've said it before I'll say it again, If only the CTX had the same hi tones as the SE pro...
December 02, 2014 03:58AM
if the CTX had the variability option like the etrac I would have probably kept it and not gone back to the etrac. That sweet, stop you in your tracks, tone is just not to be.

Although with my 13" detech ultimate equipped etrac I honestly feel I'm giving up little, if anything to the CTX.
December 02, 2014 04:50AM
In my opinion you might miss an odd target or two that the CTX finds amongst the ground clutter that the E-Trac can't - but likewise the E-Trac can find a few things that the CTX won't (in my testing). They both suffer from nulling in severe iron (not just inability to unmask which is a problem with FBS, but zeroing out of the audio for 20 secs, repeating every other sweep - horrible, almost unuseable in certain areas) and neither is particularly suited to finding valuable low conductors. Both have washed out screens in direct sunlight. I rarely look at the screen as I can't make out the info on it without forcing a shadow across it. The CTX is 'better' because of the target trace feature and the improved balance (and waterproofing). I use the CTX in the ocean submerged and it hasn't failed yet. I haven't found any depth increase using the CTX - if it exists, it's small.

If you go with the CTX, get a used one - sell the E-Trac, and the cost difference won't be so substantial. Or keep the E-Trac if you mostly park hunt - you probably won't be missing anything. But there is always the novelty of getting the latest electronic device. Just don't expect too much extra treasure for your upgrading efforts.

Johnnyanglo
December 02, 2014 12:07PM
Well stated Johnnyanglo.
December 02, 2014 09:42PM
I thought the CTX 3030 was a beast to swing well balanced or not like Earthmansufer said 5lbs is 5lbs. It also doesn't have the sweet Minelab silver warble as it is more digital sounding to my ears. The one feature I did like was the target trace as it makes finding coins among nails a lot easier as you can seperate the two. The water proof feature is also nice,But I don't water hunt so to me it wasn't worth the extra cash. The GPS and clock are cool and useful,But I don't use GPS not even on my car and I carry a flip phone with me detecting so I can check the time with that. So for me it wasn't worth the extra money,But this is me others may think it is.
December 05, 2014 01:53AM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion you might miss an odd target or two
> that the CTX finds amongst the ground clutter that
> the E-Trac can't - but likewise the E-Trac can
> find a few things that the CTX won't (in my
> testing). They both suffer from nulling in severe
> iron (not just inability to unmask which is a
> problem with FBS, but zeroing out of the audio for
> 20 secs, repeating every other sweep - horrible,
> almost unuseable in certain areas) and neither is
> particularly suited to finding valuable low
> conductors. Both have washed out screens in direct
> sunlight. I rarely look at the screen as I can't
> make out the info on it without forcing a shadow
> across it. The CTX is 'better' because of the
> target trace feature and the improved balance (and
> waterproofing). I use the CTX in the ocean
> submerged and it hasn't failed yet. I haven't
> found any depth increase using the CTX - if it
> exists, it's small.
>
> If you go with the CTX, get a used one - sell the
> E-Trac, and the cost difference won't be so
> substantial. Or keep the E-Trac if you mostly park
> hunt - you probably won't be missing anything. But
> there is always the novelty of getting the latest
> electronic device. Just don't expect too much
> extra treasure for your upgrading efforts.
>
> Johnnyanglo

To mitigate the nulling on the CTX, can't you run it fairly open and turn off the disc'd targets tones? I have no experience on one but am intrigued. Ive found on explorers if u open the screen and can deal with the onsault of sounds you can pull goodies out much better. Seems with the tone assignments the ctx offers it would be useful.
December 05, 2014 03:56AM
To mitigate the nulling on the CTX, can't you run it fairly open and turn off the disc'd targets tones?

Most people realize that adding disc will alter the sensitivity for the worse, unmasking will be compromised. However, in certain iron loaded areas there is nothing that can make the detector workable. The audio simply turns off. You can place the coil anywhere, on anything, but it is essentially shut off during those 15-20 seconds. The display keeps on working. It is constant and intermittent - blanking every other sweep, or so, which makes finding anything difficult. I've had this on saltwater beaches where the sand is mixed with iron.

You just have to move to another area where the soil is better suited to the CTX.