Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"smiling bouncing smiley" Tom What's Your Opinion On The New 75? "smiling bouncing smiley"

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: "smiling bouncing smiley" Tom What's Your Opinion On The New 75? "smiling bouncing smiley"
December 04, 2014 11:13AM
Ya know that inner voice we all have? Sometimes it's best to tell it to "shut the hell up" BEFORE it exits our mouths.
Keep that in mind men. We don't want this great forum getting "twisted up" like many others on the net.
Re: "smiling bouncing smiley" Tom What's Your Opinion On The New 75? "smiling bouncing smiley"
December 04, 2014 03:12PM
Steve Herschbach...

I figure you have your mind made up already about leaving this forum but please give it some more thought. Many people enjoy your posts, so don't let the posts of one person drive you away. At least you get a response to your posts, that is better than being ignored. I remember all the posts you made at Carl's old forum back about 10 years ago, those were the good times on the metal detecting forums, lots of different opinions by some of the legendary greats of metal detecting. Look at that forum now, hardly anyone posts there now, I hope this forum is not headed in that direction. HH
December 04, 2014 04:31PM
I second what Hombre said....dont let a few drive you away.
December 04, 2014 04:50PM
I don't claim to know more than I am suppose to know...but here are what I KNOW for fact to be true based on my own experience, and not hearsay. I am NOT saying anybody here is guilty of accepting bribes, etc. I am saying here is my reason for not believing everything I read on forums and taking everything with a grain of salt.

I, somehow, got chosen to do a little of the testing for the Whites V3i detector. It was the first time I had ever been a part of something like that inside the metal detecting realm. In the case I was in, I had to sign an agreement/contract to not leak any information about the detector and such on the forums, etc, until the green light was given to do so if we so chose to do it. I don't know how other manufacturers do their testing pool selections, but I would imagine they have similar guidelines to being under a signed agreement. On the V3i, each tester was selected for specific reasons. In my case, it was because of living in an area with civil war activity and having bad dirt available to test the machine in. Someone that had been part of their previous test pools, had recommended me from seeing my posts over the years on the forums and Whites contacted me. All of the testers were given a link to a forum that only we had the password/usernames to be able to get into, and there we reported the findings of the detector. What worked good...what did not...bugs in the menu, etc. Overall it was a pretty cool experience to be a part of something like that. Whites was very professional in everything they did. There wasn't any pressure to hype the machine up once it was released, or any of that. I'd do it for them again in a heart beat if the chance presented itself. Some time down the road, they contacted me about some videos I had done on their TDI model and asked permission to use them on their website. I gave the go for that, and I will add, that they were the only company that actually ASKED if they could use the videos.

However.....I wont name any names of the other companies/people that have approached me, but I have been approached by 2 other companies over the years, in which they encouraged the forum hype to be built up for rewards in return. One of those was actually a commission reward for $ based on detector sales if the people buying them, happen to mention that I was the reason they were buying one of their detectors. That one made me chuckle a little bit, because how in the world would I know if somebody bought a detector because of me or not..and why would they honor something like that anyway? LOL The other one was that in exchange for some forum and video hype, that I would receive some freebie accessories and discounts on future products. I didn't take the bait. BUT...I know if they made that offer to me....that they probably made it to other folks out there as well, and I'm sure some of them couldn't stand the temptation.

Again...not saying anybody here is like that. But there are a couple forums I shy away from because I know several people that post on them have been "bought out", None of them post here that I have ever seen.
December 04, 2014 06:30PM
Steve's departure from the forum saddens me. if someone called me a liar to my face and then signed off by acussing him of being thin skinned about it, I guess I would leave too. In my opinion however, we are now paying for the actions of a member who is either rude or careless.

Words have consequences. Please use them carefully.

I edited this post because of a typo in the first line - I had typed ..."accusing ME of being thin skinned..." I have now corrected that to read "HIM" apologies for any confusion caused, since "words have consequences"!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 07:05PM by lytle78.
December 04, 2014 06:50PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sorry to say, it appears that by simply having done a test on a prototype for a company anything I say about the model in question might be held in question. Futhermore, simply posting on a "public forum" is being cast as an attempt to promote product. I have experienced nothing of what Dan has described so owe nothing to any manufacturer as regards posting on public forums. The solution is simple. I have my own forum. I will stay there. If you visit you are implicitly seeking me out. That way I am not "forcing" myself on you by posting here or elsewhere. I moderate on a couple other forums so I will continue to lurk on them and may respond if specifically sought out but otherwise I will curtail my involvement there also. Rob Allison is a buddy of mine so I may stay active there, but otherwise I am going to just mind my own business. I certainly have plenty of that to attend to anyway. I have some amazing prospecting and ghost town opportunities at my fingertips. I really need to focus on that anyway so this just plays into what I really need to do anyway. Which is go prospecting.

Jimmy, as far as the DEUS goes people had questions about it as a prospecting alternative. I got one to run a couple months to evaluate it for that purpose, and have sold it. With all the above in mind I will share my thoughts about that elsewhere.

Seriously, no hard feelings, no doubt this is all just me. Just in a bad mood or something, who knows? Best wishes to all of you in success metal detecting or otherwise.

Steve Herschbach
December 04, 2014 06:58PM
Now,... did you really have to go and insult someone in the open for everyone to read??
Not pointing at anyone specific,... we've all made that Booboo!

As for field testing,... it's a dirty job and someone has to do it.
Most of the time the guys who really know a thing or two about detecting, driving, fishing, shooting, riding a bike, etc. etc.
I don't expect anyone ever to call me about testing anything,... and I do know a thing or two about something,... forgot what it was allready :-)

As for getting a free unit,... I still believe in Santa. Allthough he does accept credit cards in stead of milk and cookies these days.

Hilarious what a revised detector does with the IN crowd,... us mere mortals just use them.

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 07:02PM by scoopjohnb.
December 04, 2014 08:40PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve's departure from the forum saddens me. if
> someone called me a liar to my face and then
> signed off by acussing him of being thin skinned
> about it, I guess I would leave too. In my
> opinion however, we are now paying for the actions
> of a member who is either rude or careless.
>
> Words have consequences. Please use them
> carefully.
>
> I edited this post because of a typo in the first
> line - I had typed ..."accusing ME of being thin
> skinned..." I have now corrected that to read
> "HIM" apologies for any confusion caused, since
> "words have consequences"!

Hold up there partner no one ever called anyone a liar.
You need to reread my post and then tell me where I call Steve a liar.

Thin skinned yes. And if my comments on test/reviews cause him to leave the forum then I could be right.

Steve your grown and old enough to make adult type decisions but like others I hate to see you leave because of me.

Dwight
December 04, 2014 09:03PM
Dwight,

here's what you wrote - I cut and pasted it from the post, it appears in quotation marks below

"When you omit obvious flaws you do an injustice to us and I see it as doing it for self gain. Correct me if I am wrong."

You said he wrote stuff which "omitted obvious flaws" and accused him of doing so for "self gain". Where I come from that amounts to calling him a liar - and a crooked one at that.

If you just phrased it badly and didn't mean to call Steve a liar and a crook, then should say so. In which case, I will accept that i was mistaken in my interpretation of your statement.

Rick Kempf
December 04, 2014 09:10PM
Quote by Dwight ; And if my comments on test/reviews cause him to leave the forum then I could be right.

Could be? What are you fishing for? Read my post about the inner voice. This talk isn't necessary or wanted on this forum. There are other forums that are already screwed up from guys that spew this crap,.... have some respect, please.

I for one, as many here, hold these men in high regard for there experiences and knowledge about detecting. It's not blind faith either. It is from reading their posts year after year and getting to know them personally from their words. These are our friends you are talking about man. So lets keep this trouble making stuff out of here.....and yes, I'm a bit riled.
December 04, 2014 09:39PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Dwight,
>
>
> here's what you wrote - I cut and pasted it from
> the post, it appears in quotation marks below
>
> "When you omit obvious flaws you do an injustice
> to us and I see it as doing it for self gain.
> Correct me if I am wrong."
>
> You said he wrote stuff which "omitted obvious
> flaws" and accused him of doing so for "self
> gain". Where I come from that amounts to calling
> him a liar - and a crooked one at that.
>
> If you just phrased it badly and didn't mean to
> call Steve a liar and a crook, then should say so.
> In which case, I will accept that i was mistaken
> in my interpretation of your statement.

Well one thing for sure I never intended to call anyone a liar or imply that he was a crook. My statements were generic and pointed at no one and I guess badly worded.
So I apologize to anyone who I may have offended.

Sorry guys
Dwight
December 04, 2014 09:54PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Quote by Dwight ; And if my comments on
> test/reviews cause him to leave the forum then I
> could be right.
>
> Could be? What are you fishing for? Read my post
> about the inner voice. This talk isn't necessary
> or wanted on this forum. There are other forums
> that are already screwed up from guys that spew
> this crap,.... have some respect, please.
>
> I for one, as many here, hold these men in high
> regard for there experiences and knowledge about
> detecting. It's not blind faith either. It is from
> reading their posts year after year and getting to
> know them personally from their words. These are
> our friends you are talking about man. So lets
> keep this trouble making stuff out of here.....and
> yes, I'm a bit riled.

Not fishing for anything.
Not trying to cause any trouble.

One thing for sure is that we are all indivuals and being so we have different thoughts and ideals.

Dwight
December 04, 2014 09:58PM
Nicely done Dwight.

Now we can all get back to what we came for - a rich spectrum all the way from hard won knowledge and hard learned lessons to silly speculation, half baked theories and general nonsense.

Let the games resume!

And Steve's wit and wisdom appear nightly at

[www.detectorprospector.com]

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 10:08PM by lytle78.
December 04, 2014 11:21PM
Glad you stepped up Dwight. Wouldn't want to have chased you away either. Like Rick amusingly says 'back to half baked theories and general nonsense' lol.
But, how can we get Steve back? Any suggestions? Anyone know how to bake?
December 05, 2014 01:44AM
Steve Kind words...!!

Means alot coming form a person with credentials as you have...

Hope you stick around...But I know where to locate you if you dont!

Keith
December 05, 2014 06:50AM
Wow.

Just to clarify testing, there are three types of testing:

-Development, where you come into the project early and do just that, develope a starting point into something more. This can last from several months to years.

-Prototype testing, which is bug checking, making sure things will work right at release. This can last a couple of weeks or run into months. Most project delays come out of this group. You would be pleased to know that with 1st Texas Products, the price point of the detector has no bearing on how long this goes on. It takes as long as it takes to get it right. However I can't speak to production run mishaps sad smiley

-Field testing, which is reporting on the final production unit. Field tests are what get published in magazines and open forums, and mfg sites. And yes, involvment in the first two mentioned tests can sometimes lead into field testing. But most field testers are respected writers like you are accustomed to reading in the mags.

The truth be told, after a project is finished and the unit goes to production, the project team (engineers, marketing, testers) aren't looking for the testers to hype anything. We are waiting for your opinion. Did we listen and get it right? Is the feature set useful? and the dreaded "did I miss something?" A LOT of effort goes into this stuff and the real reward for the first two types of testers comes when you, the consumer buys it and likes it.

Yes, 1st Texas Products compensates their testers with a first run, no-charge production model that we can do with as we please. They feel the testers put in far more effort than the value of the detector, even though most of us do it just because we love metal detectors. After production release there is no influence on what we write or say about it. It is all up to the tester. Most of us try to be helpful.

I got to participate in the development of the orignal T2 and F75 and that strange Bi-Axial coil design and while I liked both units, I didn't love them. My EMI was just too much for them most of the time. I have also been on projects with units I didn't like, mostly due to personal preference.

However, I personally have fallen in love with the new revised F75 LTD. And that is what you are going to hear from me and see me write. I believe most treasure hunters that upgrade or get a new one will fall in love with it, too.

Me and the new revision F75 are like Lowboy and the Deus. smiling smiley

I appreciated the kind words that linked my name with people like Steve and Keith and Tom.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 06:57AM by Mike Hillis.
December 05, 2014 11:41AM
Mike,

Thanks for the input.

Do you have estimate as to the cost of upgrade to the LTD?

Aaron
December 05, 2014 05:43PM
Aaron, Here is the link for the upgrade. It has all the information you need.

[www.fisherlab.com]

HH
Mike
December 05, 2014 05:50PM
Hi,,,,Good info Mike thanks....JJ
December 06, 2014 06:19AM
Finally got to field test my F75 LTD w/DST upgrade todat at several sites.

One site was an old railroad depot and hotel buildings across from the RR depot (now vacant lots). The railroad line is still there and active, although it now longers stops where the 1800's depot site we hunted was located.

I have to say I was totally disapointed, the F75 w/DST has massive interference issues hunting within 100 feet of the railroad line (assume there was some underground utilities). Tried all modes, 9.0/9.1, sensitivity low, and it was just unstable.

The second site was supposed to be the location of a mid 1800's China town. OK, now the F75 is quite (too quite as it turns out, almost no targets were recovered by me, or my friend). I did find that in 9.0 mode, the sounds is a audio is a bit different (more artificial/digital sounding), and also an ever so slight delay when going over targets in BP mode (my preferred mode). If I switch back to 9.1 it seems OK. In 9.0 FA is quick, but the every so slight delay in BP mode throws me for a loop.

Also for chits and grins hit an older park just to see how it did turf hunting, looking for deeper targets. BP has always been my program of choice for this, and I didn't care at all for the delayed target audio. If I recall correctly, the audio and target ID are processed separately, so next time I need to see if the TID is rendered before the delayed audio, although I'm not sure that in itself will be helpful.

Is the general censensus that both the 9.0 and 9.1 programs have some amount of DST built in?

Saturday is a new day with new (hopefully older) sites to check out, this "new" detector is taking some time to get used to.

HH,
Brian
December 06, 2014 08:41AM
When my F-75 is freaking out in discriminate at 99 sensitivity on 9.0 or 9.1, I have to carefully go through all 7 frequencies to find the quietest one. Even at my house which is EMP hell, I can usually find one freq which is quiet enough to use full power. The amount of noise varies enormously from one frequency to another.

Imhadn't noticed the response delay, I will have to try mine.

Rick Kempf
December 06, 2014 01:14PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Finally got to field test my F75 LTD w/DST upgrade
> todat at several sites.
>
> One site was an old railroad depot and hotel
> buildings across from the RR depot (now vacant
> lots). The railroad line is still there and
> active, although it now longers stops where the
> 1800's depot site we hunted was located.
>
> I have to say I was totally disapointed, the F75
> w/DST has massive interference issues hunting
> within 100 feet of the railroad line (assume there
> was some underground utilities). Tried all modes,
> 9.0/9.1, sensitivity low, and it was just
> unstable.
>
> The second site was supposed to be the location of
> a mid 1800's China town. OK, now the F75 is
> quite (too quite as it turns out, almost no
> targets were recovered by me, or my friend). I
> did find that in 9.0 mode, the sounds is a audio
> is a bit different (more artificial/digital
> sounding), and also an ever so slight delay when
> going over targets in BP mode (my preferred mode).
> If I switch back to 9.1 it seems OK. In 9.0 FA
> is quick, but the every so slight delay in BP mode
> throws me for a loop.
>
> Also for chits and grins hit an older park just to
> see how it did turf hunting, looking for deeper
> targets. BP has always been my program of choice
> for this, and I didn't care at all for the delayed
> target audio. If I recall correctly, the audio
> and target ID are processed separately, so next
> time I need to see if the TID is rendered before
> the delayed audio, although I'm not sure that in
> itself will be helpful.
>
> Is the general censensus that both the 9.0 and 9.1
> programs have some amount of DST built in?
>
> Saturday is a new day with new (hopefully older)
> sites to check out, this "new" detector is taking
> some time to get used to.
>
> HH,
> Brian

thanks Brian, interesting take on the new SW....hope you can discover some new ways to use it successfully....what detector was your friend using?
December 06, 2014 03:58PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> When my F-75 is freaking out in discriminate at 99
> sensitivity on 9.0 or 9.1, I have to carefully go
> through all 7 frequencies to find the quietest
> one. Even at my house which is EMP hell, I can
> usually find one freq which is quiet enough to use
> full power. The amount of noise varies enormously
> from one frequency to another.
>
> Imhadn't noticed the response delay, I will have
> to try mine.

I tried all 7 frequencies, it didn't help, something in that area was just blasting out my machine. My friend w/his Explorer2 had no isues. It wasn't him that was blasting me out, even with his machine off, the F75 was streaming numbers by so fast it was unusable. When we moved to a different area it was starting to act up, but I switched frequencies to 1 and it was quite.
December 06, 2014 04:01PM
canslawhero Wrote:
>
>
> thanks Brian, interesting take on the new
> SW....hope you can discover some new ways to use
> it successfully....what detector was your friend
> using?

He was using a Minelab Explorer2. Even with his machine off, the F75 was going crazy.
December 06, 2014 04:12PM
Good write up Cobra..

I think the whole machine is D.S.T.

jumping form one mode to the other does not turn it on of off ..one is just trying to simulate the old mode one is not...

I believe the D.S.T. cant be turned off..

I wont use the 9.1 on mine because of the lag time..my 9.0 does not have anymore lag in B.P. mode though than a older f75..

I find I stay in JE mode the most for site work...and drop to BP on more sparse Iron...99 sense 2f...

I have found that my finds in hit hard sites are coming from ability to hear deeper targets but not so much in unmasking...Thats where I still feel the DEUS has the edge is in unmasking....thing about T2's and F75 and such is once you've really hunted the site with them you cant rehunt the site with them for more unmasking...but you can rehunt the site with other machines like euros and find more...

Ive alwasy liked the FT machines and they go in and make finds in iron but I still cant get next level sleuthy with them on sites...there has got to be more user defined control to unlock a site I feel..now depth is another thing and the new ones have great usable depth and airgap performance and are hot on low conductors...

Horses for courses

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 04:29PM by Keith Southern.
December 06, 2014 08:36PM
At least you guys have your detector. Mine is lost somewhere between Virginia and Tennessee. Was shipped the 2nd of December with USPS Priority 2 day shipping. It's now the 6th and no sign of it. Tracking info has not been updated since the 2nd when it left the post office it was shipped from. I live 2 hours from the TN/VA state lines. Could have drove up there and got it and been back home in about 10 hrs round trip.
December 07, 2014 12:49AM
Dang Daniel that stinks..

Good luck finding it..

Im sure it will show up..

Keith
December 07, 2014 01:04AM
Reading the F75 forum at findmall, there are alot of disappointed guys with their upgrades. Thats too bad. Hopefully FT will get it straightened out before too long.
December 07, 2014 04:56AM
Wow I was hoping for a home run and a new flagship but I guess time will tell what they got right and wrong. It seem the more you unmask the more iron you find at least that is what happened to me today. The iron is still cool and I will keep it but found no coins hiding..I was using the D____S but we had a lot of rain and the ground was still wet and I know that makes the iron even harder to hunt in

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 07, 2014 03:08PM
possum mo Wrote:
> Reading the F75 forum at findmall, there are alot
> of disappointed guys with their upgrades. Thats
> too bad. Hopefully FT will get it straightened out
> before too long.

This struck me as strange. I read Findmall every day and didn't have that impression, so I just spent an hour and a half that I'll never get back going through all the posts on the Fisher F Series forum over there, back to 1 November - about the earliest date anybody got one of the upgrades. Here's what I found.

There is one thread discussing whether pinpoint in two of the 7 or 8 different tone combinations sounds weird. Verdict seems to be still pending on that.

Other than that, the overwhelming number of upgraders are between happy and overjoyed.

Two guys had issues later chalked up to being inside or near their house and still getting EMI at high sensitivity settings ("FindandDetect" and "MrBranton33"). They both seem happy now.

Two guys are still unhappy. "Found Object" has what sounds like EMI issues, but is probably going to send his back for Fisher to check out. "Cincitomcat" claims his is screwed up, making noises in an unpredictable manner. From reading his somewhat non detailed posts, I suspect that it's just the wrong detector for him. I hope that's the case, because he has it posted in the Classified section for sale or trade and makes no mention of it's problems - if he believes it's defective, that’s not very nice of him.

So, given the dozen or so happy customers, I don't think that's too bad. Of course, maybe I missed something. Mine in any case is terrific, the deepest detector in air tests or ground test targets that I have ever used and I have used 30 or so different ones.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 03:12PM by lytle78.