Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best suited park hunting machine.

Posted by Ziggy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best suited park hunting machine.
January 22, 2015 11:42PM
Over here in the UK park hunting is not a big thing mainly due to strict councils, but some people are granted permission like myself so I wonder what you would consider is the most suitable machine for park hunting over in America.

Or is it a case of most VDI machines will do the same job now ?
Re: Best suited park hunting machine.
January 23, 2015 12:34AM
As far as #s of holes dug vs. coins found, hard to beat minelabs.
January 23, 2015 12:45AM
Hi Zig,
Most park hunting, schoolyards, picnic grounds you don't need a high power machine. Think most area's digging will be within the first 6-7" or less.
So that opens up the choice of detectors from a low end Bounty Hunter all the way up to the high end ID machine.
Many areas have a lot of trash, a single tone beep and dig like a Tesoro is excellent when running disc. set at just above nail or foil.
A two or three tone machine beep and dig machine would be better, not needed.
Those that want a Target ID machine, single tone to multi-tone. Each has pros and cons, some work better in one part of the country over others.
Most pretty good since the machines built in the US have been designed around US coins.
Can be a hard choice, that's why folks over here have an addiction to constantly try out new machines....looking for that perfect Holy Grail.....LOL
I'm guilty too..............if you have the ability to, why not.
For most coin jewelry hunting up to an 8" coil is standard gear, some like them smaller. Many prefer concentric coils, I do. But will use a DD if a
machine does not offer a concentric. 6x10" DD coil is a good size.
Frequency wise think, many opt for 10-14khz machines for gold jewelry and coins. Good overall performance.

You'll get a lot of responses from those that use beep and digs to target ID machines. I have both and can go either way when hunting.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 23, 2015 01:02AM
CTX
January 23, 2015 01:04AM
Omega. Very lightweight and good tones, notch, recovery speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 01:22AM by Fletch88.
January 23, 2015 01:11AM
Hi,,,,A Compadre with a 12" concentric coil is awesome when being powered by a Panasonic battery....JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 04:14AM by jimmyjiver.
January 23, 2015 01:13AM
MXT
January 23, 2015 01:19AM
AT pro is my go to park machine. Found me a lot of rings, is light weight, id's great, goes plenty deep for park hunting.

John
wjs
January 23, 2015 01:29AM
Etrac
January 23, 2015 01:30AM
CTX with the 5 x 10. Very potent
January 23, 2015 01:31AM
Minelab CTX 3030 if you want the ultimate old deep coins machine .
January 23, 2015 02:57AM
CTX

Tom D. tuned 1021 CZ3D is still a great deep coin detector. Still holds its own despite its age. There is a reason guys are begging First Texas for a lighter, faster, more modern dual frequency follow-up to the CZ3D.

Omega - Latest software version

Deus - there is so much you can do with this machine once you fully understand how to set it up. In modern parks I often set up a tight quarter window and just pluck quarters like a Robin plucking worms. Its amazing how fast you can move with this machine. I found well over 1000 quarters last year just playing around for 30-45 minutes a day. I paid for my Sennheiser RS-160's with my Quarter stash. I already have over $100 in Quarters since January 1 cherry picking with the Deus. The Deus takes a while to master but once you start to learn the language the sky is the limit with what you can do with this detector. I have a hard time putting it down now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 03:13AM by Leo234.
January 23, 2015 03:14AM
I can tell you at our parks in calif the lawns are watered all the time and the coins sink very deep...I say go for depth and good seperation and read what the guys above and below have to say. We once dug an indian head penny about 12 inches down and I dug a large cent at about 12 inches. But I have had so many detectors and now I'm a relic hunter so I can't really say what is the best out there. It could be the new racer or the deus with the bigger coil because you can really tweek that machine. If you in the UK go to gary's forum and ask around I'm sure you ground is nothing like ours..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 23, 2015 03:28AM
CTX and CZ3D
January 23, 2015 03:57AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you in the UK go to gary's forum and
> ask around I'm sure you ground is nothing like
> ours..

Ziggy's Admin over there. Think he's interested in knowing what is used in N. America, maybe he plans on a visit?

[www.youtube.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 23, 2015 03:58AM
mx-5 with 5.3 concentric on board!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 23, 2015 03:38PM
Wow a mixed bag and some interesting posts, thank you for your replies.
Re: Best suited park… Tight quarter window program
January 23, 2015 04:35PM
Do you mind sharing your Deus settings for your tight quarter window program? Almost all of my hunting is done in newer parks and school fields. I don't have a lot of hours on my Dues and am not getting many quarters.

Thanks,
Bart

Leo234 Wrote:
> CTX
>
> Tom D. tuned 1021 CZ3D is still a great deep coin
> detector. Still holds its own despite its age.
> There is a reason guys are begging First Texas for
> a lighter, faster, more modern dual frequency
> follow-up to the CZ3D.
>
> Omega - Latest software version
>
> Deus - there is so much you can do with this
> machine once you fully understand how to set it
> up. In modern parks I often set up a tight
> quarter window and just pluck quarters like a
> Robin plucking worms. Its amazing how fast you
> can move with this machine. I found well over
> 1000 quarters last year just playing around for
> 30-45 minutes a day. I paid for my Sennheiser
> RS-160's with my Quarter stash. I already have
> over $100 in Quarters since January 1 cherry
> picking with the Deus. The Deus takes a while to
> master but once you start to learn the language
> the sky is the limit with what you can do with
> this detector. I have a hard time putting it down
> now.
January 23, 2015 05:38PM
It has already been said. Holes dug vs good finds equals Minelab. Trashy park equals Minelab CTX.
January 23, 2015 07:04PM
@Ziggy - whatever you decide - don't buy the Deus!!!
January 23, 2015 07:47PM
CTX or Etrac ...small coil if trashy
January 23, 2015 08:49PM
If you don't need more depth than about 8" F5, great ID, jewelry, coins and just fun.
January 24, 2015 05:51AM
Teknetics Gamma. It is quite simple to use, stable, good choice of coils, lots of options, will pull coins out of the dirt in my area around 7 to 8 inches and very light.

Even simpler still (and much cheaper) is the DetectorPro Pirate Pro. All electronics in the headphones, no fancy screens and only 3 adjustments. On/off volume, disc and sensitivity. Disc at 4 knocks out iron, disc at 6 knocks out pull tabs (and us nickels) and disc at 8 cherry picks copper pennies, dimes and quarters. Depth is 8 and 1/2 inches in my soil, 10 in water. Plus if you live around a beach or swimming area it can be used there too. I have used it on salt water and fresh water beaches. Underrated machine. I like mine alot.

Between these 2 detectors I pulled 400 plus coins from 3 local parks and schools in 5 days. You don't need to spend a lot to get results. You do need to spend more if you want to go deeper

capt..
January 24, 2015 07:42AM
For cherry picking quarters I use a very simple setup indeed. 12kz, Descrimination 6.5 - Sensitivy 90+- Transmit Power 2 - Reactivity 3, Silencer -1 Iron Volume 0 Notch everything up to 89 Leaving a Window
from 90-95 Notch 96 - 99 I don't use tones, I prefer Pitch mode although you can use whatever you prefer. I prefer Pitch becasue I have trained my ears to listen for what I call a "round sound". The Deus is audio machine and there is a language in the audio but just like learning a foreign language it takes time understand what it is saying to you. Now, remember this setup if for Cherry Picking quarters in Modern Parks and Tot Lots only. With this setup there is little guess work and you can flat out cover some ground. If the Deus sounds off dig your quarter. On my Deus quarters hit right at 92-93 with a vary clear "round soud", rusty bottle caps can hit in this range sometimes but my trained ears can now tell the difference from a rusty crown caps and a quarter nearly every time. A Target ID of 95 is often two quarters stacked on top of another in the same hole. Sometimes its just fun to get out when your time is limited and do some good ole cherry picking. My new Racer is now going to be $100 cheaper. LOL!!
January 24, 2015 01:48PM
Or in other words any detector you want to use will work for finding goodies in a park winking smiley i love the f70/f75se2 and will be buying the racer..
January 24, 2015 09:01PM
The X-terra 705 can really cater for a lot of park hunting.
9" MF concentric coil is great in low mineral soils, and actually does very nicely on the coins.
10x5" HF coil hits the coins nicely but just loves the jewelry.

Or you could go with Fisher F75 Ltd with concentric coil or the F19 with the stoch 10x5".

As said before,... don't get a Deus,... you'll be digging too much bottlecaps before you get the hang of it.

HH
Johnb
January 25, 2015 04:54AM
basstrackerman Wrote:
> Or in other words any detector you want to use
> will work for finding goodies in a park winking smiley i love
> the f70/f75se2 and will be buying the racer..

hey! basstrackerman!..how's the mx-5 workin'
out for ya?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 25, 2015 05:11AM
One of my favorite detectors for cherry picking, be it parks, lawns, etc, would be the Whites spectra series... Vx3, or V3i, take your pick. With multi freq, polar plot (V3i only), individual freq bars that show the dominate freq , plus the ability to discriminate and/or change the tone of each single vdi segment...(..just to name a few..)..the Spectra series are great detectors when concerned with the amount of holes you are digging, i.e....less trash. I've heard the CTX is good, but never used one. Everyone has their preference.
January 25, 2015 12:26PM
hey! basstrackerman!..how's the mx-5 workin'
out for ya?

Well as of now i dont have one.. A buddy of mine had his mxt stolen out of his truck in Oklahoma.. Money was always tight so i shipped the mx5 to him and told him to keep it..he is lovin it and likes it more than his mxt... winking smiley
January 25, 2015 07:15PM
Any Minelab FBS (CTX, E-Trac, Explorer, Safari). Easily, IMO...

Steve