Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A common question by a seasoned vet...

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A common question by a seasoned vet...
May 06, 2010 11:24AM
I have a really hot CZ3D that Tom tuned awhile back, it air tests a dime at 12" Yesterday at my really old park I got 2 hits on something really deep that I never found. The first one was a decent 4 way and ended up digging a hole all the way to my elbow (2.5 Leshee diggers). Had to go through alot a clay and roots. I was making to much of a scene with the big pile of dirt, as there were quite a few people there. As I removed all that dirt (mostly clay) the signal got better and very strong. I was thinking it might be a pipe, I still got the signal when I raised the coil a inch, but as soon as I lowered the sensitivity (I keep it at 4.5) it disappeared. The second hole pretty much the same, except it started out as a decent 2 way signal found a beaver tail, then it as I got the hole dug out it turned out to be a strong 4 way, but was hard to pinpont. Sometimes I could get the pinpont to lock on. Both signals were registering 8"+ and I had scanned the inside walls carefully with my pinpointer. Filling in a big deep holes can be very dejecting when ya walk away empty handed...kind of like losing a battle. Its not all bad though, this thing is awesome in the trash in this old park, I found a 27' Buffalo head and a 27' Wheat in a area I've been pounding.
Thank you.
HH, Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 11:55AM by Aaron.
Re: A common question by a seasoned vet...
May 06, 2010 08:55PM
If you can dunk the coil down into the deep hole..........and it's still quite a bit deeper.......it is a large object. A pipe, soda can, cache, CSA plate, etc.....................
May 06, 2010 10:59PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can dunk the coil down into the deep
> hole..........and it's still quite a bit
> deeper.......it is a large object CACHE, CSA PLATE, etc.....................

Geesh you had to go there smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2010 10:59PM by Cal_cobra.
May 07, 2010 03:40AM
I would raise my coil off the ground before I dug my hole about six or so inches and if it still gave a nice hit it was something big and deep.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 07, 2010 03:40AM
Well...up here in Michigan its highly unlikely to be a CSA plate, maybe US, especially for the area. I'm thinking of going back, digging up that hole again and sticking a 5" coil on the 3d, putting it at the bottom of the hole and see what the depth reads.
May 07, 2010 03:16PM
To dig deeper or not dig deeper...Heck might be pipe, can, 57 chevy etc. on the other hand could be a mason jar loaded with old silver and gold coins.. Once went 2 feet for part of a copper tea kettle, had to get a shovel and of course was on isolated private land where I had permission.

Tip.....usually a junk object will cover more area while pinpointing but might not work on extremely deep objects...usually to a trained CZ ear a deep silver coin will just sound mellow( hard to explain) and of course we all can get fooled...
May 07, 2010 07:12PM
It sounds just like a coin...pinpoints like a coin. You basically nailed it though, this isnt private property, its a public park. If it wasnt I would have went back to the truck for my big shovel and commenced to diggin!
Thanks!
May 07, 2010 09:30PM
Don't be afraid to dig a small hole on the surface..............THEN widen the hole at deeper depths.......keeping the hole on the surface rather small.
May 08, 2010 07:32AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
usually to a trained CZ ear a deep
> silver coin will just sound mellow( hard to
> explain) and of course we all can get fooled...

The sound of deep silver is a great sound on the CZ...that nice little "ping" is *almost* always the real McCoy.
May 08, 2010 07:35AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Don't be afraid to dig a small hole on the
> surface..............THEN widen the hole at deeper
> depths.......keeping the hole on the surface
> rather small.

I do this in a couple of parks that, while they aren't off limits for detecting, it's kind of frowned on, so I try to be as careful as possible. I make smaller holes and widen inside the hole as necessary, AND also will dig deep but loosen and leave the dirt inside the hold and fish around for the target with my pinpointer.

Go see what was in those holes smiling smiley
May 08, 2010 04:24PM
Yes, I will go back. I will let you know what happens. Thanks Brian!
Aaron