Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer and stock coil feel (consider this)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer and stock coil feel (consider this)
April 19, 2015 02:27PM
I've been playing around with my Racer and stock coil. Here's how I get the best balance. First I don't put my arm through the strap instead let my arm lay on top while the strap bridges the gap in the arm cup. Also pushed my arm cup adjustment all the way forward. What this pushing forward does is you'll notice the farther back it is the strap will be closer to your elbow where the meat starts building on your arm., thus the angle starts changing quite a bit (sliding forward causes the alignment between your grip and arm connection over the strap to be more inline, causing with detector to feel less nose heavy) . Overall this is what feels the best overall for me. Folks you may want to try. And yes your mileage may vary. Cheers
Re: Racer and stock coil feel (consider this)
April 20, 2015 03:53AM
Hey tnss -

man you are so thorough with your reviews -

you now are officially being stalked from the south pacific lol

keep them coming man - respect winking smiley
April 20, 2015 04:16AM
Will do. Never had the pleasure of spending time in the South Pacific. Did get to spend some time in the North Pacific - Phillippines, Wake Island, Guam, Antigua, Japan, Alaska, and Hawaii

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 04:20AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 20, 2015 07:17AM
Thanks for the tip. Feels good in my living room. I will have to see how it works in the field for an extended time.
The feel of swinging the Racer is my only complaint I have about the machine. I'm hoping my Eliptical coil I have on order helps
Lighten it up or change the ballence.
Anyone have an idea when the next shipment gets here?
April 20, 2015 01:21PM
I've seen a few sponsors on other forums say the 5x10 coils will come with next shipment of Racers if that helps.
I notice with my arm in the cup and under the strap I tend to want to hold the grip real low, hence no where near able to adjust controls. With arm riding on top of strap arm/hand more in line so hand can grip higher on grip, with hand positioned better to make settings adjustments. Rod length needs to be looked at too. The less tiring setup may put the coil closer to your feet when sweeping.
April 20, 2015 03:28PM
I reversed my 11 coil and it feel better and hunts the same...but I would be better off with the 5X10 and use the 11 on big fields or parks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 21, 2015 01:35AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I reversed my 11 coil and it feel better and hunts
> the same...but I would be better off with the 5X10
> and use the 11 on big fields or parks

What do you mean, Lowboy? Do you mean that you installed the coil opposite from how it is designed to be mounted? I have noticed that my Racer is coil-heavy (11 inch coil). And it becomes more-so when the coil cover is installed. (I don't use the cover anymore and it seemed lighter). If I understand you correctly, I am going to turn my coil around tonite and see if it helps. I have about 4 to 5 hours off tomorrow and a freind and I are going to do some detecting and hopefully some digging.
April 21, 2015 03:00AM
Kevin after you flip your coil around, you can walk backwards and detect. LOL
April 21, 2015 03:45AM
Flipping it backwards feels a bit strange and it pinpoint about the same and is as deep it just feel lighter but I may get the next size down coil and stick with that

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 21, 2015 04:35AM
I truly believe the Racer is an extraordinary metal detector in how it just works and finds targets other detectors have missed, and accurately identifies good vs bad targets. Truly amazing.

How it could have been so poorly designed from the perspective of balance and the stress it places on the forearm, wrist, hand, and fingers just boggles my mind.
And then to have been tested without the testers demanding a redesign to improve the balance and reduce the numbing, throbbing stress is mind-blowing to me.

For users to be turning the coil around and mounting it backwards in an attempt to live with the terrible balance and painful stress is just sad.

Why was this HUGE problem not seen in the initial design and in the pre-pro testing in-house and finally, in the out-of-house testing that was done on the Racer?

Was some change made to the design after all the testing was done?

Makro needs to implement some type of corrective action that addresses the poor fitness of their present design to the intended use of their product. It is that bad.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 21, 2015 05:31AM
Wayne,
Did you see this???
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
April 21, 2015 08:49AM
Take away the heavy nose.......Add some weight to the back to balance it. I know you don't want to do that but if you are that fond of the unit......rig it.
April 21, 2015 09:42AM
Ergonomically poorly designed PMSL - you do realise you can change your grip position a lot more in that setup to eleviate discomfort - hence the difference of the angle of the 'S' Shaft? - Try doing the same with a lot of other detectors currently on the market -

If I start to feel any discomfort in my arm I simply move my grip either up or down on the hand grip & have found that I have three comfortable positions to change between - Personally I think there is no need to be re-bending the shaft or mounting the coil on backwards or telling Makro how to make their detectors - IMO its a fine machine exactly the way it is ........
April 21, 2015 12:14PM
I just got mine yesterday and with the 5.5x10 coil on it, it feels great. I have already hung the 11" on the rack probably not to see very much use if at all. The stem angle seems good to me(havent hunted for a day with it yet though).
April 21, 2015 12:28PM
As someone with a bad wrist/shoulder combo I don't find the balance THAT bad. I can hunt all day without any pain. Moving the lugs forward an inch or 2 would certainly make a difference. I find it equal to or slightly better than an AT PRO in ergonomics.
April 21, 2015 02:00PM
Hey Wayne...you must not of seen where I complained about it My testing...

I was told it was ranged for production....does not look no different..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 21, 2015 04:19PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Wayne...you must not of seen where I
> complained about it My testing...
>
>
> I was told it was ranged for production....does
> not look no different..

Yes, Keith, I saw your remarks regarding the strain on the forearm imposed by the grip attitude during testing. I'm not saying testers did not squawk (didn't mean to imply that). I'm saying Makro seems to have ignored any such tester impressions/feed back since they released the Racer with such a bad handle/feel/balance. Surely the grip/handle wasn't designed by someone who actually used the machine for any length of time.
Yes, some may be pleased with it (even if they mention discomfort and having to shift their grip to 3 different positions (while completely comfortable, I suppose?)), but many are not.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 21, 2015 09:15PM
To clarify - As I previously stated "If I start to feel any discomfort" -

With the Racer YOU have the option of changing your grip -

Sorry to cause any confusion as I was only ponting out that due to its ergonomic design you can hold the detector differently -
You dont have to hold it one way until you get pain but you can change your grip on the fly, therefore lessoning your chances of suffering discomfort in your arm on long hunts -

Personally I would not change the entire design of a unit because someone cannot figure that out -

You only have to use the Racer for a while to work out Makro has put a lot of thought into not only the ergonomics of this unit but also taken into account people with dissabilities, so that tells me that there has been a fair bit of thought gone into that particular area in question -

Again with the multitude of other units on the market out there, you dont have that luxury - One grip fits all until the pain sets in .......

I find it great to see a company that thinks outside the square and this is yet another feature other manufacturers lack -

Finally, I dont think it prudent that any tester should demand anything from a manufacturer - "testers demanding" - they should simply test, review & then advise/ recommend changes - if they want to demand how things are actually made then they should look at making their own units - just my 2c

Honestly I would put this HUGE problem in with the other HUGE problems that have already been identified, like the red color, the fact that it does not have memory retention, the position of the volume control & now the fact that its a little heavy for some - Yep ALL HUGE issues indeed -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 10:41PM by rustic charm.