Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Big Coil Video on Racer - Long but Interesting

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Big Coil Video on Racer - Long but Interesting
May 18, 2015 01:59AM
Hi just watched this Video on the Larger Coil for the Racer. The video is long but informative, but was most interesting to me was how well the stock 11 inch coil did in the tests. I am not sure after watching it I would see a need for the big coil unless I was cache hunting - in most other situations the stock 11 would be just fine for those deep targets. At least that is the impression i got. Sure wish he had ran the 11 inch over the buried Cache. Again warning it is long but you can fast forward through the digging and go straight to the detecting and safe a lot of time.

[youtu.be]

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Big Coil Video on Racer - Long but Interesting
May 18, 2015 02:11AM
Large coils were once marketed as a deeper coil. That is no longer the case. Once you get so big the sensitivity to small objects is lost. Most larger coils now are used for coverage. The 17" on the CTX comes to mind. The depth increase is minimal, but on a beach or open field the coverage is definitely an advantage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 02:12AM by goodmore.
May 18, 2015 02:57AM
Better watch out with 11 inch coil on racers will overload on some larger coins at some pretty good depths as I almost left a 4 inch silver quarter based on overload and ID after raising coil!
Another of my detecting buddies did same thing on a very shallow clad dime with 5 inch coil.
Just another tidbit to keep in mind while dealing with overload signals.
May 18, 2015 03:27AM
Silvermaster,
I don't think you've ever ran a Racer. Here's why. I owned 2 Racers. I tested both with stock coils. A clad dime in 3 tone gain 99 the dime has to be within .5 inch give or take to overload. In 2 tone gain 98 same thing. Using a clad quarter in 3 tone gain 99 I get overload at around 1.5 inch maybe a little less, in 2 tone gain 98 I get overload at 1.5 inch. This test was done with 2 different Racers with both on top of the ground and slightly buried coins-all face up. And with my remaining Racer I just redid the test- same results. I think other actual Racers users/owners will see my results.
And you can bet the Racer is more of a mid performing detector when it comes to separation. You should try one and post accurate info instead of a bunch of BS.

So show me a Racer overloading on a quarter even at 3 inches or a dime at 2" with the settings above. You can't.
May 18, 2015 03:47AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Silvermaster,
> I don't think you've ever ran a Racer. Here's
> why. I owned 2 Racers. I tested both with stock
> coils. A clad dime in 3 tone gain 99 the dime has
> to be within .5 inch give or take to overload. In
> 2 tone gain 98 same thing. Using a clad quarter
> in 3 tone gain 99 I get overload at around 1.5
> inch maybe a little less, in 2 tone gain 98 I get
> overload at 1.5 inch. This test was done with 2
> different Racers with both on top of the ground
> and slightly buried coins-all face up. And with
> my remaining Racer I just redid the test- same
> results. I think other actual Racers users/owners
> will see my results.
> And you can bet the Racer is more of a mid
> performing detector when it comes to separation.
> You should try one and post accurate info instead
> of a bunch of BS.
>
> So show me a Racer overloading on a quarter even
> at 3 inches or a dime at 2" with the settings
> above. You can't.
The overload problem with the Racer is well documented.

The overload problem has been discussed by many on here and elswhere and is a known detractor from accurate performance on shallow targets.
May 18, 2015 03:56AM
"You should try one and post accurate info instead of a bunch of BS."

LOLOLOLOLOL

Bey
May 18, 2015 04:10AM
But your data is inaccurate. Case in point using my Racer a 1972 silver dollar overloads at about 2-2.25" in 3 tone 99 gain, 2 tone gain 98 2.25-2.5". A far cry from 4". And a whole lot bigger than a quarter. You seem to discount the Racer because no finds are being posted or the detector is not being talked about. If as you say you've been detecting 30 years, you'd understand this is not exactly the right time of the year now. Many old home sites are overgrown. As a matter a fact there aren't many being posted by any other detector users much either. Water hunting I'm sure will bring some jewelry on here soon. The Racer and small coil can hunt behind just about anything out there. A Xp goldmaxx with small coil and Nokta CoRe with small coil can hang with it. As far as Daniel's comments. He lives in an area with some hot soil. Hard to find a VLF detector and use discrimination and hit anything below 6". I know because I got my lesson a few weeks ago in some 5 bar F75 soil south of here. In soil like this using Vlf detector AM is a must to go below 6". Only VLF I know of and got to witness was a Blisstool. It actually hit a 9" deep 69 cal 3 ringer in that horrid soil. I wish I'd had my deus that day to experiment. And that kind of soil will drive the TID on VLF detectors nuts even if they will give tone even on a 4-5" coin/bullet. So the soil a person uses a detector in and reports is very important. BTW I've dug my deepest targets in 4 bar soil with F75LTD2, not V3i, CTX, Etrac, Racer, CoRE, Deus. All with stock coils running in disc mode.
May 18, 2015 04:32AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> But your data is inaccurate. Case in point using
> my Racer a 1972 silver dollar overloads at about
> 2-2.25" in 3 tone 99 gain, 2 tone gain 98
> 2.25-2.5". A far cry from 4". And a whole lot
> bigger than a quarter. You seem to discount the
> Racer because no finds are being posted or the
> detector is not being talked about. If as you say
> you've been detecting 30 years, you'd understand
> this is not exactly the right time of the year
> now. Many old home sites are overgrown. As a
> matter a fact there aren't many being posted by
> any other detector users much either. Water
> hunting I'm sure will bring some jewelry on here
> soon. The Racer and small coil can hunt behind
> just about anything out there. A Xp goldmaxx with
> small coil and Nokta CoRe with small coil can hang
> with it. As far as Daniel's comments. He lives
> in an area with some hot soil. Hard to find a VLF
> detector and use discrimination and hit anything
> below 6". I know because I got my lesson a few
> weeks ago in some 5 bar F75 soil south of here.
> In soil like this using Vlf detector AM is a must
> to go below 6". Only VLF I know of and got to
> witness was a Blisstool. It actually hit a 9"
> deep 69 cal 3 ringer in that horrid soil. I wish
> I'd had my deus that day to experiment. And that
> kind of soil will drive the TID on VLF detectors
> nuts even if they will give tone even on a 4-5"
> coin/bullet. So the soil a person uses a detector
> in and reports is very important. BTW I've dug
> my deepest targets in 4 bar soil with F75LTD2, not
> V3i, CTX, Etrac, Racer, CoRE, Deus. All with
> stock coils running in disc mode.

The hype ended when units hit the field!
My info I shared was based on my experience period you have no idea of conditions or area!
I shared what I saw as a friendly observation so others would possibly not discount a good target.
I have detected many years started with a groundhog and a 840 bounty hunter and have seen many units come and go with some being useful many years after the newest and greatest wind up being disappointments.
The areas I hunt mainly have hot soil sometimes 5 bar always 4 and I give detectors a real working over for performance!
TNSS instead of you posting to hear yourself talk why not join our detecting club to gain some i site on many machines from many seasoned detectorist.
According to your posts you live near me in Murfreesboro and our club meets in Nashville
We as a club get access to a couple of closed civil war sites per year and would be glad for you and others to join.
May 18, 2015 04:43AM
My Racer won't overload at 4" on a quarter either. I think many folks complaining about overloading don't take the time to really learn the detector and are cranking the gain up because that's what they have to do with just about every detector they've ever used. I very seldom run the gain past 50 when hunting parks or ghost towns here in the west. I know coins back east in old parks or under a canopy of trees are usually much deeper than here in the desert but folks need to learn how to run the Racer. It's much different than any other detector I've used in 40 years detecting when it comes to the gain.
May 18, 2015 08:58AM
Stop arguing. You're comparing different machines.
All coils give a significant signal output, when they are nowhere near any metal or dirt. And every coil is different. If you have one that's 'out of spec', or even on the limit of 'in-spec', it could take little extra signal from a target to take the combined output into 'overload' level. Likewise, if it's 'out of spec' in the opposite direction, you could bring a target nearer to the coil than is normal, before getting an overload.
It does sound like Silvermaster's 11" coil is not the best.
May 18, 2015 10:37AM
Weren't you two arguing about the V3i last week?
Tns, you started off by calling Sm a liar.....benefit of the doubt man, come on, Pimento has a good point.
May 18, 2015 11:29AM
Yes it overloads more then any detector I ever used having to get in habit of raising coil.

Silver master Wrote:
> Better watch out with 11 inch coil on racers will
> overload on some larger coins at some pretty good
> depths as I almost left a 4 inch silver quarter
> based on overload and ID after raising coil!
> Another of my detecting buddies did same thing on
> a very shallow clad dime with 5 inch coil.
> Just another tidbit to keep in mind while dealing
> with overload signals.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
May 18, 2015 12:18PM
I'm your huckleberry,
That's not my experience at all especially on the distances you are mentioning. A lot closer actually on both CoRe and Racer.
May 18, 2015 03:30PM
The over load is not a bad thing I like it and if you raise that coil you will get a VDI and then why would you pass on a good target..I like it for iron also and found some nice gold rush axe heads because the racer gave me an overload..plus it runs hot and that is a great thing

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 18, 2015 05:32PM
I am starting to like it. At the trashy park there are a lot of near surface or surface junk I raise the coil get that mixed audio with iron and check VID and the walk or dig depending on what I see or here. But right off the bat you know it is not too deep or its big.

Lawrenzo Wrote:
> The over load is not a bad thing I like it and if
> you raise that coil you will get a VDI and then
> why would you pass on a good target..I like it for
> iron also and found some nice gold rush axe heads
> because the racer gave me an overload..plus it
> runs hot and that is a great thing

Bryanna - Nebraska