Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you think there is a problem with my racer coil?

Posted by bigboar 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do you think there is a problem with my racer coil?
June 23, 2015 11:43PM
hey all, I hate to post this and maybe makro is just really busy and hasnt had time to get back to me but, I would really like to know if I am just seeing something that isnt or if you think my stock coil is going to break?
I have had my racer for a while now but all I ever use on it is the 5". Last wednesday, I decided to put the stock coil on for the first time and used it for maybe an hour. When I was taking it off to switch back, I noticed that right about in the center of the hole going toward the front of the coil. It looks like a really small crack forming and if you zoom in on the photo the plastic looks like two different shades of color and follows a line. I looked in the hole but dont see a crack running through it. I also didnt notice anything on the ear when installing it but to be honest I never even looked.
The coil is still usable, but I saw that email address that Dilek posted so I decided to email them. I told that calvit that my coil ear cracked when I tightened the coil bolt down because I was assuming that was when it had to happen as I never used it very long and never hit anything with it. He replied telling me to get some kind of app or something and send a video to a phone # in turkey(i assume).. I never mess with apps and told him I didnt want to do that but I would be happy to include a photo of what I was talking about and another showing the serial # to him which needed to be included.
I have not heard a peep since my reply to him and that was last thursday morning. I dont know, I bought my racer for the 5" and dont know if/when I will use the stock coil again but it sure looks to me like something isnt right with my coil. I am more concerned that the tab is going to snap if/when I am using it and I would never even think about selling it without letting the person know which I am sure would kill the sale(Not currently selling it as I do really like it with the 5"). Evidently, Makro doesnt see a problem and maybe I am just seeing something that isnt there. Does anyone else see what I am talking about or is it just me?
I have owned quite a few detectors from many different companies and the few times I have had a problem/concern, this is the first time I have had a company not respond back within a day or so which is kind of disappointing.

Re: Do you think there is a problem with my racer coil?
June 24, 2015 12:03AM
Mine cracked. And you could sure see it. I can't tell by the photo if yours is cracked or not. But I wanted to reply to your post because I went through metaldetector.com and they took very good care of me. No need to contact Makro.
June 24, 2015 12:12AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mine cracked. And you could sure see it. I can't
> tell by the photo if yours is cracked or not. But
> I wanted to reply to your post because I went
> through metaldetector.com and they took very good
> care of me. No need to contact Makro.

When I saw mine I got on and started looking only to find it looks like there are a few that have goodmore. It has me thinking, mine is going to break clean off while i am using it. If you zoom in and look at the hole, what I see is a small line going straight out toward the front of the tab. It starts right about in the center of the hole to the left but then the plastic looks one shade of black above that line and a darker shade under it. Even though the line stops before the end of the bolt head, it looks to me like the color fluctuation continues in a curving motion up toward the top of the tab.

Edit: sorry for my bad spelling. Hopefully its all corrected

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 12:14AM by bigboar.
June 24, 2015 12:15AM
Well, it's hard to tell from photo. My take is: Keep using it. You have your receipt, you should be OK. A buyer would get the receipt. If the area starts to look worse or failure happens, then I would contact the folks in Mass, I believe. I see no need to panic at this time.
June 24, 2015 12:26AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Well, it's hard to tell from photo. My take is:
> Keep using it. You have your receipt, you should
> be OK. A buyer would get the receipt. If the
> area starts to look worse or failure happens, then
> I would contact the folks in Mass, I believe. I
> see no need to panic at this time.

that I do tnss, I actually bought it from another fellow who had only owned it for a couple weeks right after the release date. He sent the receipt with it though. At least I should say I am pretty sure before I bought it makro stated you didnt have to be the original owner as long as you had the receipt?
June 24, 2015 01:15AM
My standard coil mounting ear just broke over the weekend. Maybe 6 hours on that coil. Plus the bolt snapped. I suppose Makro got burned by some supplier for the bad materials used. I am sending it to metaldetector.com for replacement. I still have the small OOR and 5x10 coil in the meantime.
June 24, 2015 02:07AM
I wouldn't stress. If it does break makro and or USA distro will make it right. Looks ok for now.

Craig
June 24, 2015 02:21AM
Looks like a rub mark to me. Shouldn't be a problem.
June 24, 2015 02:32AM
Looks like a scratch but if it is a fisher crack call them and get it replaced. You don't want it to break down on a hunt?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 24, 2015 09:24PM
Looks like a crack to me but you'll probably need to use it to the point of it not being a question. Mine broke in a number of pieces. I sent an email with attached photos of the broken tabs and a photo of the serial number decal to calvit and he responded in about an hour. They mailed me a new coil by express DHL and I received it in less than a week. Included with the coil was a Makro Hat, Makro Tee Shirt and new Hardware. I received mine last week.
June 24, 2015 09:57PM
heres what they look like when they break.. I have 2 broke..

But they usually break at an angle it looks like..

One problem is the coil ears are to wide need more spacers or narrow it up betwwen the ears.....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 24, 2015 10:29PM
your coil with the broken tab in the background looks like it broke off in the front at the same angle the line on mine looks like its starting to follow.l
Here is how I feel about it Keith. Its fine if they want to make me use it until it fails on me out in the field(which would stink) but..oh well. What really bothers me more than anything is I got a reply from calvit quickly on my first email sent but then after I replied with the photos included I never heard anything back. They could have at least replied saying "we would like you to use it until it breaks on you out in the field and thenyou will have to wait on another coil". lol. that would have been better than the silence. It also looks to me like that Dilek was posting all the time before the Racer was released but now does anyone ever see any posts? I guess I am just disappointed with the no reply thing. Never had that happen before with any other company and that includes Minelab which pretty much always gets ripped on for bad customer service. Doesnt give me much faith in the company and I dont know that I can see myself giving them any of my business in the future..

Keith Southern Wrote:
> heres what they look like when they break.. I have
> 2 broke..
>
> [i957.photobucket.com]
> 150623_230927_zps1dzogvbb.jpg
>
> But they usually break at an angle it looks
> like..
>
> One problem is the coil ears are to wide need more
> spacers or narrow it up betwwen the ears.....
>
> Keith
June 25, 2015 01:43AM
Email him again and ask if he received the photos and serial number. Maybe your pictures never got to him.
June 25, 2015 09:20PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Email him again and ask if he received the photos
> and serial number. Maybe your pictures never got
> to him.

I sent another email today. I guess I will wait and see if I get a response this time..
June 26, 2015 11:58AM
Well, I guess there is nothing to worry about. I had a reply to the email I sent yesterday waiting this morning.

"Your stock coil looks normal , if anything be like broken please let me know ,"

It would have been nice to get that reply last friday and without having to send another email to get a response though..