Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which detectors can be classified as 'all purpose'?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which detectors can be classified as 'all purpose'?
November 24, 2016 11:06PM
Water, prospecting, coins, relic hunting.

I'm guessing:

CTX
AT Pro
MX Sport

Any others?
Re: Which detectors can be classified as 'all purpose'?
November 25, 2016 12:19AM
Probably wouldn't prospect with a CTX..probably suse a Excalibur in auto tune for prospecting...That might be the best option of anything offered..handles wet salt and auto tune can see smaller gold..

Probably use a AT GOLD over a AT PRO for prospecting yet then you loose Salt beach work..

See a pattern??

prospecting and salt water can hardly be done in one unit..

underwater submerging makes thing's even more difficult..

Remove the waterproofing needs and the best I've seen is

MXT

Racer2

CORE

??smiling smiley??

If I wanted waterproof and wanted to cover all my bases...I would buy a AT-PRO and a AT GOLD..they use each others coils..Garrett hit a homer run with that AT Series..

look around and you can get into both them pretty fair..sometimes less than one machine from another manufacturer

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 25, 2016 12:30AM
Buying a CTX is like putting your eggs in one basket. All is well unless there is an issue. For less money you can buy an Etrac and either the Atgold or Pro for less money. This will cover most all hunting conditions. Plus if a machine goes down you have a super back up.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
November 25, 2016 12:39AM
Minus the water hunting aspect my pick would be the X-Terra 705.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
November 25, 2016 12:46AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably wouldn't prospect with a CTX..probably
> suse a Excalibur in auto tune for
> prospecting...That might be the best option of
> anything offered..handles wet salt and auto tune
> can see smaller gold..
>
> Probably use a AT GOLD over a AT PRO for
> prospecting yet then you loose Salt beach
> work..
>
> See a pattern??
>
> prospecting and salt water can hardly be done in
> one unit..
>
> underwater submerging makes thing's even more
> difficult..
>
> Remove the waterproofing needs and the best I've
> seen is
>
> MXT
>
> Racer2
>
> CORE
>
> ??smiling smiley??
>
> If I wanted waterproof and wanted to cover all my
> bases...I would buy a AT-PRO and a AT GOLD..they
> use each others coils..Garrett hit a homer run
> with that AT Series..
>

> look around and you can get into both them pretty
> fair..sometimes less than one machine from another
> manufacturer
>
> Keith

I love the AT Pro. Everything except the screen. It sucks. Too small and too much chatoyance. Not looking to get another detector. I have the MX Sport which coves all the bases for me right now.
November 25, 2016 01:13AM
I totally forgot to mention the ML Excalibur. So that makes 4 waterproof units..
November 25, 2016 02:53AM
Maybe the term general purpose would be better used here.

Not really an all purpose unit.

Would depend on soil minerals too.
November 25, 2016 04:02AM
I would imagine you could also add in a Fisher CZ....maybe the CZ 20 or one of the older splashproof models. They do a good job in the wet sand/salt and also carry over into the coin hunting arena. I think they are probably better at smaller gold jewelry than the Excalibur and for sure better on smaller gold than the CTX. The CTX is a great machine as long as the gold is larger; you certainly wouldn't want to prospect with it or any of the FBS machines.

The MX Sport has a prospecting mode on it and does DECENT in salt water too, and of course can relic/coin hunt. I didn't like it for wading in the salt water...it overloads a lot in the moving water unless you really back the gain down. On just the wet sand and dry sand, it does great. With the various coil options available for it, I think it is at the top of the list for a general purpose machine with water hunting capabilities.

My understanding though, is that the Deus also has a waterproofing kit/box that allows you to use it in the water. I'm not sure if that includes salt beaches or not...but if so, that would make it a contender.
November 25, 2016 04:17AM
Hot damn Daniel, I forgot about the venerable CZs! I read about a guy, maybe 20 years ago, who had a special order CZ-20/w 5" coil who was doing well hunting streams in Alaska for gold nuggets.
November 25, 2016 01:44PM
I guess it depends on the order of the 'all purpose' attributes:

- Prospecting
- Waterproof
- Coin hunting
- Jewelry hunting
- Relic hunting
- EMI resistant
November 25, 2016 03:42PM
None will do it all as most have plus and minus attributes..guess that's why one has to have several....
November 25, 2016 03:55PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> None will do it all as most have plus and minus
> attributes..guess that's why one has to have
> several....

Totally agree with you,that is why i have a few detectors and coils,you cannot have too many detecting toys winking smiley
November 25, 2016 04:07PM
I don't think he was asking for a do all machine that would excel at every niche. To that, I think we all know and accept that there isn't one machine that can do that. But there are some that can hold their own in each niche. I think that's what he was getting at with the all purpose side of the thread. I might be wrong though but that's how I saw it.
November 25, 2016 04:21PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> Water, prospecting, coins, relic hunting.
>
> I'm guessing:
>
> CTX
> AT Pro
> MX Sport
>
> Any others?

The CTX is less than Ideal for prospecting because they struggle seeing Gold nuggets weighing less than 3 grams.
November 25, 2016 05:23PM
If the MXT would of been waterproofed it could of very well been a HUGE SELLER and also about as close as you could get to a do it all..

The MX Sport is not a MXT in a waterproof housing..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 25, 2016 05:31PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> If the MXT would of been waterproofed it could of
> very well been a HUGE SELLER and also about as
> close as you could get to a do it all..
>
> The MX Sport is not a MXT in a waterproof
> housing..
>
> Keith

Amen to that, out of all of my machines I would say it is by far my favourite, I control the swing speed and it takes care of the rest, Not bad for a 16 year old Detector, 17 years in a couple of months smileys with beer cool smiley thumbs down

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2016 05:38PM by auminesweeper.
November 26, 2016 03:43AM
Sure hope I can afford the one that might be behind Keiths ??smiling smiley?? Seems to be a brand that made it into his list a lot! At least that's what I'm hoping but time will tell
November 27, 2016 08:34AM
XP Deus. Coins, Relics, has a kit for water hunting and the proposed high frequency coils and programs for nugget hunting.

The perfect machine will be a lightweight Pulse/VLF machine that's waterproof like a diving machine. How long till we have this?