Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Went back to the house site I found last weekend...((T2-C.))Dug me a Southern Cross Of Honor

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Stuck the small 5 on the T2-C. and picked around in the trash some...

First signal that jumped out at me was a brass buckle..

Then another one

Then I got a one way 90 reading..and at about 8 inches out pops this.

hole it came from..tons of nails and junk signals intermingled.

here it is cleaned up

these were given to confederate veterans in 1900

heres some history

Southern Cross of Honor
Mrs. Alexander S. (Mary Ann Lamar Cobb) Erwin of Athens, Ga., conceived the idea of the United Daughters of the Confederacy bestowing the Southern Cross of Honor on Confederate veterans while attending a reunion of Confederate veterans in Atlanta, Ga., in July 1898. Mrs. Erwin and Mrs. Sarah E. Gabbett of Atlanta are credited with the design of the Cross: a Maltese Cross with a wreath of laurel surrounding the words "Deo Vindice (God our Vindicator) 1861-1865" and the inscription, "Southern Cross of Honor" on the face. On the reverse side is a Confederate Battle Flag surrounded by a laurel wreath and the words "United Daughters of the Confederacy to the UCV."

Mr. Charles W. Crankshaw of Atlanta was chosen to manufacture the Crosses, but the first order was not given until a copyright was secured by the UDC on February 20, 1900. During the first 18 months of the Cross's availability 12,500 were ordered and delivered.
Only a Confederate veteran could wear the Southern Cross of Honor, and it could only be bestowed through the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Money could not buy the Cross; they were bought by loyal, honorable service to the South and were given in recognition of this devotion. The first Cross ever bestowed was upon Mrs. Erwin’s husband, Captain Alexander S. Erwin, by the Athens Chapter (Athens, Ga.) on April 26, 1900

a very heart felt Historical piece to find...

I'm honored to have found it..

Now I'm wondrin if the veterans Buckle is lying around here somewhere???

heres today's take..

couple of Teen wheats and a ornate sash buckle.. and a few other things...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 04:44PM by Keith Southern.
Nice digs there Keith.

Looks like a fun day of diggin for suresmiling smiley

Congrats on the rare medal thumbs down
Nice find Keith!
Special addition to your collection I'm sure.

Bryan
Some very nice finds,must admit the 5'' coil on the T2 is a deadly weapon on trashy sites,does not cover a great amount of ground but for its small size it punches pretty deep,the main 2 coils that i use on the T2 these days are the Sharpshooter coil and the 5'' coil.
Dang man that T2-C is a beast. Great finds Keith, trade ya a like new atpro with 5x8 coil for it. grinning smiley
Re: Went back to the house site I found last weekend...Dug me a Southern Cross Of Honor
February 12, 2017 04:23AM
way to go, Keith! Nice finds! Love the "cross."

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Went back to the house site I found last weekend...Dug me a Southern Cross Of Honor
February 12, 2017 04:58AM
History in your hands, great historical find !thumbs down
February 12, 2017 05:05AM
Very nice!!...Congrats
Very nice indeed, I love Military finds
February 12, 2017 05:12AM
Nice digs Keith, congratulations!-------Ok Keith--fess up--at this point in time--which one do you like the best--the T2 Classic--or--the FORS Relic???
February 12, 2017 05:25AM
Was just curious on this medal, look at this Ebay listing 262818990999

It sold for 771 Canadian with a special name on it, not that we should sell was just curious on this item.
I assume you man this one??

[www.ebay.ca]

It was identified to Mosby Ranger so it had alot of EXCITING written History of the unit to go with it..

I had one about 15 years ago i got out of an attic with name attached...,,it was to a Texas cavalry regiment ...Guy gave me 950.00 for it..He collected Texas Cavalry Relics...

I need to look for the name bar in there to fit this one..

Keith

guvmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was just curious on this medal, look at this Ebay
> listing 262818990999
>
> It sold for 771 Canadian with a special name on it
> , not that we should sell was just curious on this
> item.

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
T2-C. Del!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Thanks Fellas..

Hopefully there's some more Goodies in there..

I'm running the T2-C. against all my intuition and its working...

Yes the machine Knows more than I do it so seems...

this site is slap full of trash old and new...

What i'm doing in this Trash pit ..is running 2+ tone. and 80 disc....YES 80 Disc...In know sounds crazy...BUT, it's so dang quite and hot I am digging a lot of what I call SQUEAKERS...

And that's little blips of a high tone in all the silence..Yes the DIsc circuit on this T2-C. is phenomenal...I'm just picking High Items right now and this thing is better than the Sovereign for this,,It can see smaller in trash than the Sovereign and it also doesn't dig big iron when set up like this.

I know it goes against my nail break tone only setups..but you cant do it in here it's loaded with aluminum trash on top of the site..I've experimented in here in spots and low disc creates a million hits of nails and trash intermingled .Just today I marked a spot and worked it two tone zero disc which allows the tone tow brake at 40..well it was just saturated wall to wall grunt's and high blips...and I'm sure some goodies was in that noise..But I don't want to spend the better part of a day digging trash..So then same setup up to 80 disc and re sweep quite as a mouse except one SQUEAKER..and I dug it as the squeak showed 81 on meter..well after I dug it I couldn't find so had to dial disc to zero again..then I got 40s 50s 60s and grunts all in the pile of dirt spoil....Well kicked it around some and there was my 81 again..it was a wheatie ..

That's how I got the Southern Cross it spiked a 90 in one little approach angle on 80 disc...a 90 in a sea of quietness..before I dug it I dropped to zero and the noise of grunt and blips was everywhere..I would have to keep my eyes on that meter constantly to see that 90 blip if I even see it in all the others erratic hits...BUT when I turn DIsc to 80 it doesn't show anything on screen below disc setting so no flashing numbers and when the tone and ID lock at 90 I knew I had a chance..

For me it's very unorthodox to hunt like this and I do have tricks I'm using to make it work for me in a challenging site..But used to I would run for these sites for Now Hanging out in them..

I am now a firm believer this T2-C. is more advanced in UNLOCKING that we know..

I've never seen a unit lock onto a target like this thing is doing and it can do it CLEVER

I've discovered a new way to retrieve MORE targets in once FORBIDDEN sites...

Most machines crank disc up in them up like that in a sea of 150 year intermingled trash and you ain't digging nothin but pie pans... this machine is smarter than ME..

Kudos to Dave!

It's all in the Quietness ..I can make the T2-C. talk to me like never before with no erratic noise..

When I'm in just nails same thing except now zero disc 2 + tone and listen for the pips in the iron like I've always done yet NOW more TELLING than older T2's..

it's a true multi period/Site unit..

I believe it's always had excellent exact disc..it's just it's always been overly noisy so a false or a EMI spit was hard to tell and we were crippled or couldn't decipher it..this NOISE free DNA is GOLDEN...

The SQUEAKS can talk to you now...and their not lying..

Keith

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 05:32PM by Keith Southern.
February 12, 2017 09:34AM
Super nice finds Keith and really appreciate the tip on how to increase intelligibility and unlock a site.

A recent post on Finds Fisher forum relates a similar "intelligence" setting for the F75. The poster found that using dp tone smooths out the choppiness of non-ferrous signals in seriously bad conditions. I will test that out this spring at a couple sites that are nearly unhuntable.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 12, 2017 01:23PM
It's something how you get focused and in high concentration mode hunting a site like this. Someone could sneak up on you and bop you on the head. lol
Ha, just remembering I was out in the woods on my knees digging a target. All of a sudden I was knocked over. Someone was running their dog off lead and the dog wanted to play I guess....I didn't have time to have the "fight or flight" kick in, happened too fast. I actually started laughing and playing with the strange dog....glad he was friendly.

Really sweet finds Keith.....that's a cloud 9 day.

Question; That is a T-2 Classic with the green rod? And, do you believe they are all like like that or do you think you have a special "one out of a hundred" unit?
February 12, 2017 02:04PM
That's a great find..Congratulations. It would be neat if you could figure out if a veteran lived there and have an idea who it belonged to possibly. I found one of the larger markers years ago in a cow pasture . Figured it was a grave marker and let it be.

You're really making the T2-C tempting. Be nice if the impact would materialize. Sounds like we're getting closer.
T2-C...what about original T2 or F75, LTDs, SEs?
February 12, 2017 03:11PM
Keith, do you think this intelligibility is only present in the current production T2 Classic, or do you think the others in the same bloodline are equally capable?
Do you attribute this quietness to DST or something else?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 12, 2017 05:18PM
Wow Keith great finds. I have been getting ready to go out but the grass is already so high in the Gold Country because of all of the rain. The ground is so wet the iron just is really bad because of the wet dust it creates...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: T2-C...what about original T2 or F75, LTDs, SEs?
February 12, 2017 05:36PM
Wayne I think the DST has came into its own...the machine is as fast as an older T2 yet No lag feel the early release T2 DST machines had..

Seems the speed is there and the noise is gone...

What more could you ask for...best of both worlds..

it just talks to you now ...

Keith

ncwayne Wrote:
> Keith, do you think this intelligibility is only p
> resent in the current production T2 Classic, or do
> you think the others in the same bloodline are equ
> ally capable?
> Do you attribute this quietness to DST or somethin
> g else?
>
> Wayne

-Nikola Tesla
Yes the big ones are grave markers..

Keith

deadlift Wrote:
> That's a great find..Congratulations. It would be
> neat if you could figure out if a veteran lived th
> ere and have an idea who it belonged to possibly.
> I found one of the larger markers years ago in a c
> ow pasture . Figured it was a grave marker and let
> it be.
>
> You're really making the T2-C tempting. Be nice if
> the impact would materialize. Sounds like we're ge
> tting closer.

-Nikola Tesla
Thank's Ozzie..Funny story !!

From talking to others it seems to be the consensus the T2-C. I have is the same as others...

mines a 9.0 Version...and date code is 12/16...BUT believe all T2-C.s are 9.0 version's..

Keith

ozzie Wrote:
> It's something how you get focused and in high con
> centration mode hunting a site like this. Someone
> could sneak up on you and bop you on the head. lol
> Ha, just remembering I was out in the woods on my
> knees digging a target. All of a sudden I was knoc
> ked over. Someone was running their dog off lead a
> nd the dog wanted to play I guess....I didn't have
> time to have the "fight or flight" kick in, happen
> ed too fast. I actually started laughing and playi
> ng with the strange dog....glad he was friendly.
>
> Really sweet finds Keith.....that's a cloud 9 day.
>
> Question; That is a T-2 Classic with the green rod
> ? And, do you believe they are all like like that
> or do you think you have a special "one out of a h
> undred" unit?

-Nikola Tesla
Thanks Tom!!

Yes this is not what we had a Decade ago...

And for some reason this is not quite what we had in the first release T2 SE DST...

Almost feels like when they put the DST into this classic Green model they upgraded the processor...maybe to a G-2 type processor....

that's what the unit reminds me of ..a Souped of G2..

Yet way better I.D.

If I try to run a F19/G2 in that site all I get is high readings above 80 everywhere on JUNK...and especially small pieces of junk..

This T2-C. is proving to have some of the most accurate stable I.D. I've witnessed in trash..

Seems it took a decade to come into its own...But glad it did..A true multi Site machine...At this point with the T2-C. I feel I can hunt anywhere ancient to modern and any where in between ....even continuous use nightmare sites..

Keith

Jackpine Wrote:
> Super nice finds Keith and really appreciate the t
> ip on how to increase intelligibility and unlock a
> site.
>
> A recent post on Finds Fisher forum relates a simi
> lar "intelligence" setting for the F75. The poste
> r found that using dp tone smooths out the choppin
> ess of non-ferrous signals in seriously bad condit
> ions. I will test that out this spring at a coupl
> e sites that are nearly unhuntable.
>
> Tom

-Nikola Tesla
February 12, 2017 07:17PM
Keith please correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm wrong most of the time. At disc set at 80 aluminum is gone but brass, copper, silver, etc. still give a high tone blip with numbers from 81 to 90.
February 12, 2017 07:52PM
Awesome saves Keith
February 12, 2017 09:39PM
Thanks, Keith for allowing us to "get in" on one of your hunts.The Southern Cross history was worth the price of admission. I think a T2 would be a great birthday present to myself.
doc holiday Wrote:
I think a T2 would be a great birthday present to myself.

LoL

He's making everyone want one it seems!
Bill some aluminum can come higher but its usually jumpy and large targte aluminum to boot...also mason jar lids love to lock at 84 or so...got to dig those...could be a plate...and big silver can ease up in the mid 90s....
Also screw aluminum caps if there's alto will mimic a goodie at about 82...

Now these settings I'm using are not of every site and alot of sites I will just choose like always and opt HEAR it all..but this is a Site that's a nightmare to hunt and usually machines can be so erratic in this stuff even on high discI just leave them alone..BUT the T2 is So stable and accurate I FOR ME anyway have found another NICHE factor that's working for MYSELF and my site..

And isn't that what's it's ALL about Getting the most out of our equipment..

I love these type challenges and I love to get payoffs....To PROVE History and to Prove to myself I'm Not wasting my energy..if i can pass along a little info as I go I'm more than happy..I like to use my time Wisely and this is another dimension to my LUST...

Not sure if anyone's following BUT I'm usually showing tiny stuff in iron with a HF 'PICKING' in iron rig... but in the last month or so I'M doing a lot of higher level conductance targets and I'm really enjoying that,..feels like old times in alot of ways ways..and I'm really enjoying myself..I'm a BBF...Big Brass Freak from way back!!

I hope anything I share Helps maybe just one person along..

Now here's something That is keeping me awake at night...if that Medal is there this guys a Veteran..there's a good CHANCE his accouterments are here somewhere..an old left over Jacket....with his Buttons or and hopefully I'm not jinxing myself..His Confederate Buckle ..maybe a C.S A. or even I dare say a Georgia State Seal Oval..of course if that's there I will have to be admitted to a Hospital..LOL..

These guys did not toss there Southern Cross Of Honor medals out the back door on a whim...These are there most prized possessions..this medal was lost as the house decomposed or caught fire accidentally I'm almost sure..maybe the other accouterments is there TOO!!!these are given to your next of kin..My wife has her Great Great Grandads....My oldest child will have it one day...

This is what TO me anyway's and I know tons of others it's all about..the machines are a tool for our passion to find items of Reverence..the Knowledge we get from years of hunting with machines is just a by product of the real passion..You cant read about it or cant study it you have to find ways to make it happen..that's the true UNDERSTANDING you gain with machines..a means to feed your passion..

It's like a drug addict..hate to say it like that but its true..if you CRAVE something bad enough you'll find a way to go about getting your fix..

Keith

Bill long Wrote:
> Keith please correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm wro
> ng most of the time. At disc set at 80 aluminum is
> gone but brass, copper, silver, etc. still give a
> high tone blip with numbers from 81 to 90.

-Nikola Tesla
LOL !!Wayne!!

Just a tool...use it to fuel your needs...

Sad thing about the Americas..and the early site's we have ..most all of them have become a trash dump over the last 100 years ..people see those old sites and like to dump on them..

I've had a new awakening as of late..and I know my time is more precious than ever so I need to get what i can get as fast as I can get it and the most efficient way

I'm doing things differently now..the Sovereign I returned to last summer put me on a new Quest..the T2 is adding to that NEED..

I've overlooked to many sites looking for that perfect PICKING site to meet my hunt style and equipment type.Now Im beocmeing more and more aggresive and open to my ignored sites..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 12, 2017 11:50PM
I'm "gobsmacked" - (look it up).

Seriously - old Mr. K - you are describing the very soul of what drives all serious dirtfishers to plug away, muddy knees, dirty hands, broken nails - searching for that THING, the thing which gives the buzz of excitement and honor - history uncovered - long gone lives illuminated.

Thanks.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold