Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
March 31, 2011 12:12PM
48 this spring....Started in 87 with my then, brand-new 1265X...
April 01, 2011 06:36AM
5 weeks ago I turned 61. 5 months ago I started MD. Shortly I may start MD anon, but I can quit any time. I just don't want to. I just need 9v batteries and Ben Gay. Oh man, that looks worse than it sounded in my head. The plan is if I can put away enough silver in the next 20 years I can coast the rest of the way (to say maybe 82).
Tom
April 01, 2011 09:24AM
Why Tom,......I had no idea you were 39. grinning smiley
You got it my friend!
April 01, 2011 10:32PM
and holding
April 02, 2011 12:11AM
I'm 40. I started messing around with detectors when I was very young. Not seriously until 1998 when I got the bug really bad. I love this hobby.
Re: You got it my friend!
April 27, 2011 05:55PM

Built a Heathkit in 1970...man I used to be ambitious (saw it in the garage a few days ago..wonder what it's worth?)...

First date with my New girlfriend I took her on my first detecting hunt, June 1970 ...she married me in spite of the "boring" time (she later confided to me ... man what a NERD I was!).

Unfortunately being married turned out to be much more interesting than metal detecting (odd that huh?).

2007 I rediscovered metal detecting and after a week or so found my first Gold ring, 14K...next day went back and in the same spot...another Gold ring 14K.

Yeah ...I was hooked. Now I go out daily for at least a couple hours.

Man, I am long winded..aren't I?

HH Joe
April 27, 2011 06:49PM
73 in May...slowed down a tad but still get out to smell the roses....

Heck my son is the moderator Tom's age....

Tried a whole bunch over the years as part of the hobby I guess and imagine a CZ will be my all time favorite when I hang up my boots but then again so many detectors so little time...so who knows....
April 27, 2011 10:21PM
I am 62, started in 1975 with a lunchbox Whites TR that I bought from Sears.
April 28, 2011 03:34AM
Joe..................you did not say what your wife thinks of those 14Kt gold rings.........and what she thinks of you (and the hobby) now!
April 28, 2011 01:28PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe..................you did not say what your
> wife thinks of those 14Kt gold rings.........and
> what she thinks of you (and the hobby) now!

he ain't talkin'!..too busy hunting,and TRYING to get away all the time! (lol!)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 28, 2011 01:36PM
Hi Tom..Get's a bit complicated ...but she loved that fact of a passion in my life besides her. She always looked at my finds with extreme interest though I suspect many times it was feigned.

She left me (not her choice) this past October on the 3rd...just 2 weeks short of our 40th anniversary. I do not exaggerate when I say she was the sweetest person in the whole world. She brought me such joy for almost 40 years and left me with 2 beautiful boys...still our boys even in their 20's.
April 28, 2011 03:54PM
Wow Joe. SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS! I am very thankful that your kids are 'raised'. And ........ something that is VERY important...... is the fact that you HAVE a burning passion! It can really keep you alive..... and make you 'driven'.
April 28, 2011 04:16PM
Thanks Tom..I appreciate your comments. I'm doing good...detecting is really such a blessing ...immersing myself in it is a comfort.

HH Joe

PS: Sorry to be hijacking this thread ..Hey I'm not the oldest ..but I just may be the best <smile>.
April 28, 2011 05:19PM
59 here...

Julien
Dr.JoePrime......Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
April 28, 2011 05:50PM
Please feel free to post here frequently and often. This is Nerdsvillesmiling smiley for sure. Welcome!!!!!!
May 03, 2011 03:44PM
51, just turned.

Drew.
May 04, 2011 08:18PM
I'll be 61 in 8 days.
I'll be 54 in August. I've been detecting for 15 years.
May 09, 2011 12:07AM
I just turned 46 & been swingin one since 1978 or so. First machine was a Sears "Ted Williams" brand made by White's. Had 4 others since then! I hope and pray we will live in a world "safe" enough to let me hunt till I'm up there with you older guys! Y'all are an inspiration & I wish I could find someone with your experience to hunt with here in Ga.!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
Born in 1936
May 09, 2011 01:49AM
75 today and I'm going hunting tomorrow.--Wade
Go Wade!!!!!!Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
May 09, 2011 01:50AM
Awesome...............smiling smiley