Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
February 13, 2020 02:13PM
Hello

Yes i can use the Tarsacci with these settings ! Sometime it 's a little noisy but i can ear the sound if it is a target or not. It works very well ! I found 3 gold targets with the tarsacci.
February 13, 2020 02:16PM
Magus. I loved your first video, where your first hunt with the Tarsacci was almost the same performance as the Equinox. Then, on your next video, with your fast learning-curve, the Tarsacci is performing much better than the Equinox. Awesome! Good job! I had the same experience! That’s what makes these forums great!!!
February 13, 2020 04:49PM
Aaron...….. I was thinking the exact same thing. Magus' extremely rapid learning curve of the MDT...… has put him far ahead of the game. Magus has learned it easily/quickly...… and now he has LAUNCHED! Now let's see what happens. I speculate Magus is a very dedicated beach hunter.
February 13, 2020 04:54PM
“I speculate Magus is a very dedicated beach hunter.“....wish I could say that, especially here in the middle winter in Michigan!!!!!
I’ll be down in Florida next week hitting it hard w the TARSACCI w my new GoPro....STAY TUNED!
February 13, 2020 05:55PM
Aaron....... elbow.... elbow if that GUY on the other side of the island has a AQ pick his brain lol. Ive been doing some research on gopros and getting some tips on the ins and outs from Joe (ole beach nut). How hes added some additional time with it by an external battery and 16G for more run time. Not really someone who likes to be on video..... so it maybe more for me and family on utube. I have a few external hard drives for storage. Some of the guys are just crazy good at doing videos. Looking forward to what you do this next week...... hopefully some gold in the scoop. Its just been a crazy 3 months here...... dont know if its the wind or what... not much in Dec..... did well in Jan...... and here we are again not well this month. The crazy wind seems to be more active this year and changing directions almost on the hours. Maybe by Spring Break the weather will warm up more....... we like it HOT for those recent drops.
February 13, 2020 07:29PM
I’ll certainly try dew! LOL
I got 3 batteries w the unit, power shouldn’t be a issue. I’m not counting on much at the ocean, I rarely get there and when I do it’s slim pickings! I’ve found my gold mostly in the lakes, which up here will start later next month, need to buy some new waders!
February 14, 2020 12:44PM
Hey Magnus, just curious....what kind of camera are you using? Your video is really clear. Also what was the script on the inside of the gold ring? Congrats again on that BIG gold!
February 14, 2020 01:51PM
Dew - “Aaron..... ive got no complains about the MDTs finds. A real eye opener thou.......i cover a lot of water in 7 hours..... and may end up with some pocket change and a little trash...... and you think ..... dang i can get 14" on a 3 gram gold ring.....just how deep is the good stuff and will ANY ,machine get to it. Nice to be the only guy with one i can say that because i know the other water machines..... i just have to get the coil over gold.”

Dew, 14” inches w the MDT on only 3grams (in the SALT) is amazing! I wish I could have gotten even close to that w my last salt machine! Yeah at this point it’s just a matter of the weather and tides. Spring break just about here....

Badger, I can’t imagine your on the beach much anyway in this weather! Regarding the “hot rocks”, I’m assuming you’ve invoked the salinity balance and adjusted it accordingly? and It will compensate for some hot rocks...
February 14, 2020 02:26PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Badger, I can’t imagine your on the beach much any
> way I’m this weather. Regarding the “hot rocks”, I
> ’m assuming you’ve invoked the salinity balance an
> d adjusted it accordingly? and It will compensate
> for some hot rocks...

Normally, right now would be peak beach hunting season in NH and Maine if the winter storms would cooperate. The weather is not a problem as long as it's above 20 degrees and not too windy. We don't beach hunt much in the summer except once in a while to look for fresh drops and enjoy the beach. Serious beach hunting takes place in the winter after storms. That's when we find old coins dating as far back as the 1700's and rings from the 1800's/1900's. Aside from the occasional summer/fall hurricane occurrence, winter to early spring is the best time to hunt the beach here. The rest of the year, we hunt the dirt. We hunt the dirt in the winter too. The woods rarely freeze here and we don't get much snow near the coast, but when a good Nor'easter hits, the beach is the place to be.

I've tried everything to get the MDT to work in the rocks. I even got some coaching from Dimitar. To the best of my knowledge, I have adjusted the settings for optimal performance.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 04:51PM by Badger in NH.
February 14, 2020 02:41PM
You had me at “1700’s”......must be NICE!

Ironically I have just the opposite results w the TARSACCI & EQX. The TARSACCI handles hot rocks quite well, EQX not so well. However, this isn’t in salt though, medium min. dirt.

Badger, I’m assuming you guys are using waders even though your not probably wading out in the ocean. What brand you guys recommend? Lake season starts next month, I need a new pair as my Gander Mt brand started leaking last year. : (
February 14, 2020 02:49PM
I haven't tried the Tarsacci much in the dirt but I've been meaning to. I have a few spots where I'm hoping it might have some advantage. I'm just waiting for the right day where I can relax and work with the settings. I will certainly report back if it finds any targets at these places.

Waders? Nobody uses waders. Just boots are all you need to walk in the water. I'm really liking my Bogs Workman boots for the winter and Bogs Range boots for spring and fall. I use them for both the beach and inland.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 03:01PM by Badger in NH.
February 14, 2020 07:20PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> I haven't tried the Tarsacci much in the dirt but
> I've been meaning to. I have a few spots where I'm
> hoping it might have some advantage. I'm just wait
> ing for the right day where I can relax and work w
> ith the settings. I will certainly report back if
> it finds any targets at these places.
>
> Waders? Nobody uses waders. Just boots are all you
> need to walk in the water. I'm really liking my Bo
> gs Workman boots for the winter and Bogs Range boo
> ts for spring and fall. I use them for both the be
> ach and inland.

You got that right Badger. Now that I live in Florida, I have no use for this set up! Happy Hunting To All My Northern Friends!
February 15, 2020 08:22PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Aaron I want one ....I’m a little concerned about the additional time it might take editing and such.

This is where TomCA and I differ on video filming styles. He loves to have the camera rolling 100% of the time so he can capture a target from the moment of inception until recovered. When we made a joint video, I found that when he sent me his gopro files, that I wasted tons of time sifting through countless hours of just walking around, until he had something worth editing out and into the main video. For me that's a huge waste of time that I simply don't have to expend on editing a video. I find that my iPhone takes every bit as good of quality video as a gopro, and I can just film the interesting bits which make putting the final video together easier, and far less time consuming. I get where he's coming from, but for me it's just a matter of time, not to mention that hours of video tend to be huge files, which present entirely new challenges.
February 15, 2020 08:27PM
Brian, just curios how you mount the iPhone.
The one thing I like about the GoPro is the voice commands. You can stop and start without touching anything, and it downloads into the iPhone automatically.
February 15, 2020 08:56PM
Thanks guys good info. What program are you using with an iPhone to edit it? Slice? I may need to play around with the iPhone and doing files first. But it’s not as waterproof and finding a way to mount is is a challenge compared to the GoPro as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 09:02PM by dewcon4414.
February 15, 2020 09:29PM
There are all kinds of phone mounts on eBay and Amazon. You can get chest harnesses, tripods, hat mounts, etc. Just about any similar mount for a Gopro style camera, you can get for phones too. I have never been a fan of the fisheye or wide angle views of all the Gopro style action cams. I just hate the look of it. The battery life on my S10+ is phenomenal and very crisp video and sound quality. I will be doing some videos with it on down the line. That was another thing I hated about GoPros. Without an external battery, they suck on battery life. I had a Hero 8 black that I got so mad at while trying to video catfishing trips, that I chunked it as far as I could throw it into the lake.
February 15, 2020 10:43PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Brian, just curios how you mount the iPhone.
> The one thing I like about the GoPro is the voice
> commands. You can stop and start without touching
> anything, and it downloads into the iPhone automat
> ically.

My iPhone is hand held. I like how you describe how the GoPro works with voice commands and automatically downloading the videos to the iPhone, they've come a long ways since I last looked into them. Maybe I should look into a GoPro again.
February 15, 2020 10:45PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> There are all kinds of phone mounts on eBay and Am
> azon. You can get chest harnesses, tripods, hat m
> ounts, etc. Just about any similar mount for a Go
> pro style camera, you can get for phones too. I h
> ave never been a fan of the fisheye or wide angle
> views of all the Gopro style action cams. I just
> hate the look of it. The battery life on my S10+ i
> s phenomenal and very crisp video and sound qualit
> y. I will be doing some videos with it on down the
> line. That was another thing I hated about GoPros
> . Without an external battery, they suck on batter
> y life. I had a Hero 8 black that I got so mad at
> while trying to video catfishing trips, that I chu
> nked it as far as I could throw it into the lake.

Yes I recall Tom saying the battery life on his GoPro was pretty bad, so much so that he was carrying around some USB battery packs. Yeah with a full charge on my phone, I can record all day along without worrying about battery life.
February 19, 2020 02:12PM
For those detecting in the wet-salt (that now have some experience)...……… try running your Tarsacci in 9Khz, All Metal...…. and with Sens on '9' and Thresh on '0'. Give it a try!
(Some of you are already at Sens '9' and Thresh '0').
February 19, 2020 03:20PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> For those detecting in the wet-salt (that now have
> some experience)...……… try running your Tarsacci i
> n 9Khz, All Metal...…. and with Sens on '9' and Th
> resh on '0'. Give it a try!
> (Some of you are already at Sens '9' and Thresh '0
> ').

Tom, don't leave us in suspense. Tell us why you want us to try those settings and what advantages they might have.

I never need any threshold and can always run my Sense at 9. I'm in All Metal most of the time. What is the advantage of using 9kHz? More depth on certain targets? More depth on all targets?

One thing I'm never sure of is what frequency to use.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 04:49PM by Badger in NH.
cdv
February 19, 2020 03:43PM
Tom, since Magus Detection's post I finally got out of the rut of 9KHz, 0 Threshold and 9 Sensitivity and have found that 18KHz works well in the wet (using 0 Threshold and 9 Sensitivity). Also have been spending time on the wet sand with 12KHz (Same settings) and what I think I'm finding in 12KHz is MORE smaller aluminum bits (rivet heads and such) that rival running a Equinox in Beach 1 hot. I hate those tiny (micro) aluminum targets. Up until very recently, almost 100% of my hunting (water and wet) have been in 9 KHz.

Now I need to try switching frequencies on targets to determine which works better over here.

I'm with Badger and his comment "don't leave us in suspense"

Cliff
February 19, 2020 06:26PM
Cliff & Badger...….. I'm simply wanting Tarsacci owners...…. of whom are NOT running Sens '9' with Thresh '0'...….. to finally give it a try. I'm getting plenty of responses from wet-salt beach hunter folks of whom are still running Sens '7' and Thresh '-2'. For the timid...…. 9Khz is a conservative freq for these folks. Advanced/skilled users can venture into 12Khz and 18Khz with Sens '9' and Thresh '0'.
No hidden secrets for your 'suspense'!
February 19, 2020 06:38PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Cliff & Badger...….. I'm simply wanting Tarsacci o
> wners...…. of whom are NOT running Sens '9' with T
> hresh '0'...….. to finally give it a try. I'm gett
> ing plenty of responses from wet-salt beach hunter
> folks of whom are still running Sens '7' and Thres
> h '-2'. For the timid...…. 9Khz is a conservative
> freq for these folks. Advanced/skilled users can v
> enture into 12Khz and 18Khz with Sens '9' and Thre
> sh '0'.
> No hidden secrets for your 'suspense'!

Hello Tom,

I live quite a distance from our west coast, mainly use the MDT for inland relic hunting. Most of my hunts, are using 9 sens with 0 discrimination. 18Khz with black sand off, no Salt mode. Ground balances above 700 usually around 750’s. And hunt in thick iron to open clean ground with these settings, lighting fast recovery speed even in thick iron.

I know it’s not beach conditions, but our inland soil does cause poor stability with Equinox and other top end. With the Tarsacci, it handles poorer soil much better with better depth.

HH, Paul

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 06:40PM by Apolonio (CA).
February 19, 2020 08:49PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cliff & Badger...….. I'm simply wanting Tarsacci
> o
> > wners...…. of whom are NOT running Sens '9' with
> T
> > hresh '0'...….. to finally give it a try. I'm ge
> tt
> > ing plenty of responses from wet-salt beach hunt
> er
> > folks of whom are still running Sens '7' and Thr
> es
> > h '-2'. For the timid...…. 9Khz is a conservati
> ve
> > freq for these folks. Advanced/skilled users can
> v
> > enture into 12Khz and 18Khz with Sens '9' and Th
> re
> > sh '0'.
> > No hidden secrets for your 'suspense'!
>
> Hello Tom,
>
> I live quite a distance from our west coast, mainl
> y use the MDT for inland relic hunting. Most of my
> hunts, are using 9 sens with 0 discrimination. 18K
> hz with black sand off, no Salt mode. Ground bala
> nces above 700 usually around 750’s. And hunt in t
> hick iron to open clean ground with these settings
> , lighting fast recovery speed even in thick iron.
>
> I know it’s not beach conditions, but our inland s
> oil does cause poor stability with Equinox and oth
> er top end. With the Tarsacci, it handles poorer
> soil much better with better depth.
>
> HH, Paul

Interesting report Paul. I have a site that I have to run the EQ800 in beach mode to run smoothly, else it acts very erratic to the alkali soil in park or field modes. I bet this would run really well there, and with the added depth, as long as it could handle some iron, would be a great MDT-8000 test.

Tom Dankowski can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the feeling their working on a land/relic unit as well?
February 19, 2020 09:03PM
Paul...…. that is REALLY good data...…. especially for inland application(s). Yes...….. when mineralization starts to get bad...… the Tarsacci is...…. by far...…. the preferred choice...…… regardless of inland dirt/-or-/wet-salt beach hunting. What really means a lot to Dimitar & I is..... you are doing this (bad mineralization) with 18Khz. Wow! ------ Very good data.

It's crazy. I 'push' folks into the Equinox..... if they are in medium-low mineralization. I 'push' folks into the Tarsacci…… if they are in medium (or higher) mineralization. The most severest of mineralization (ie: Culpeper dirt)……. I then 'push' the GPX series. New Zealand iron dirt...… I 'push' the Tarsacci again.

Brian...….. the Tarsacci MDT-8000 IS a inland/dirt unit! I keep making the mistake of biasing its intended purpose/usage...as a wet-salt unit. It is; yet, it is more of a general purpose unit...….. to strongly include: inland dirt hunting. Relics and coins.
February 19, 2020 10:41PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

The Tarsacci MDT-8000 IS an inland/dirt
> unit! I keep making the mistake of biasing its int
> ended purpose/usage...as a wet-salt unit. It is; y
> et, it is more of a general purpose unit...….. to
> strongly include: inland dirt hunting. Relics and
> coins.

All this time I've been thinking of the Tarsacci as primarily a beach detector. My test results in the wet sand were very impressive. It got inches more depth in the wet sand than the Equinox, but when I tested it in my test garden in very clean mineral-free dirt, the depth performance was about equal to or slightly less than the Equinox. I have used the Tarsacci in the dirt several times and it did find a few targets but I didn't expect it to have any advantage over the Equinox on land.

Now that you are calling the Tarsacci a beach/coin/relic machine, I will have to do some more testing and take it on a few serious hunts. I have a colonial field that has given up a lot of nice coins and relics. I'm sure that there is more to be found there but it is deep and may be masked. The soil has some iron and is slightly mineralized. If the Tarsacci can find any non-ferrous targets there I will be very impressed. Of course, if no targets are found, that doesn't mean anything, but if it can find a few things, that would be awesome.

I will let you know how it goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 10:42PM by Badger in NH.
February 20, 2020 01:55AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NASA-Tom Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Cliff & Badger...….. I'm simply wanting Tarsac
> ci
> > o
> > > wners...…. of whom are NOT running Sens '9' wi
> th
> > T
> > > hresh '0'...….. to finally give it a try. I'm
> ge
> > tt
> > > ing plenty of responses from wet-salt beach hu
> nt
> > er
> > > folks of whom are still running Sens '7' and T
> hr
> > es
> > > h '-2'. For the timid...…. 9Khz is a conserva
> ti
> > ve
> > > freq for these folks. Advanced/skilled users c
> an
> > v
> > > enture into 12Khz and 18Khz with Sens '9' and
> Th
> > re
> > > sh '0'.
> > > No hidden secrets for your 'suspense'!
> >
> > Hello Tom,
> >
> > I live quite a distance from our west coast, mai
> nl
> > y use the MDT for inland relic hunting. Most of
> my
> > hunts, are using 9 sens with 0 discrimination. 1
> 8K
> > hz with black sand off, no Salt mode. Ground ba
> la
> > nces above 700 usually around 750’s. And hunt in
> t
> > hick iron to open clean ground with these settin
> gs
> > , lighting fast recovery speed even in thick iro
> n.
> >
> > I know it’s not beach conditions, but our inland
> s
> > oil does cause poor stability with Equinox and o
> th
> > er top end. With the Tarsacci, it handles poore
> r
> > soil much better with better depth.
> >
> > HH, Paul
>
>
> Interesting report Paul. I have a site that I hav
> e to run the EQ800 in beach mode to run smoothly,
> else it acts very erratic to the alkali soil in pa
> rk or field modes. I bet this would run really wel
> l there, and with the added depth, as long as it c
> ould handle some iron, would be a great MDT-8000 t
> est.
>
> Tom Dankowski can correct me if I'm wrong, but I h
> ave the feeling their working on a land/relic unit
> as well?

Hello Brian, we’ll need to get together in the future. I’ll bring the Tarsacci and my Equinox, I’d like to show you some comparisons. I’ll try beach mode this weekend with the Equinox, appreciate you sharing this is working for you.

See you in the future,
Paul
February 20, 2020 01:58AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Paul...…. that is REALLY good data...…. especially
> for inland application(s). Yes...….. when minerali
> zation starts to get bad...… the Tarsacci is...….
> by far...…. the preferred choice...…… regardless o
> f inland dirt/-or-/wet-salt beach hunting. What re
> ally means a lot to Dimitar & I is..... you are do
> ing this (bad mineralization) with 18Khz. Wow! -
> ----- Very good data.
>
> It's crazy. I 'push' folks into the Equinox..... i
> f they are in medium-low mineralization. I 'push'
> folks into the Tarsacci…… if they are in medium (o
> r higher) mineralization. The most severest of min
> eralization (ie: Culpeper dirt)……. I then 'push' t
> he GPX series. New Zealand iron dirt...… I 'push'
> the Tarsacci again.
>
> Brian...….. the Tarsacci MDT-8000 IS a inland/dirt
> unit! I keep making the mistake of biasing its int
> ended purpose/usage...as a wet-salt unit. It is; y
> et, it is more of a general purpose unit...….. to
> strongly include: inland dirt hunting. Relics and
> coins.

Thanks Tom,

Will definitely share more in the coming weeks with the MDT, learning it’s audio language has definitely helped me achieve more depth.

Thanks again!
Paul
February 20, 2020 09:43AM
Badger, yes...……. I'd be highly interested in your results.

Paul:
Learning the minute audio differences with the EQX can really present/generate results.
Learning the minute audio differences with the MDT can really present/generate results.
This may sound obvious; yet, the results can be much more than expected!
February 20, 2020 06:50PM
Tom, I ran across a video by Relics and Rings on the controls of the MDT. When he demonstrated the GB function he did not highlight the GB box. He left the volume box highlighted. He showed the GB box with GB at 500. Then be raised the coil and pushed the GB button and lowered the coil. He then showed the GB # had jumped to 672, all while never highlighting the GB box. I have not had a chance to experiment and see if it makes a difference on highlighting the GB box or not. Your thoughts please.