Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
December 29, 2018 04:09PM
PasttomWrote: Larry and I have scored 1 to 2 gram gold and silver rings at 6 to 8 inches in the water and wet sand while the other guys are reporting no jewelry finds just coins.

Hi Tom, I assume you mean by other machines.

El
December 29, 2018 07:23PM
Where can i buy one for UK or France???

Thanks

RR
December 29, 2018 07:31PM
Rivers rat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can i buy one for UK or France???
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
> RR

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Ok. I'm configured to launch some more Tarsacci's.
> Should anyone be interested...…. send me a PM.
> (((And..... we could also ship a few...… Internati
> onally; yet, without the battery...….. but you wil
> l certainly get the battery charger. It's a very c
> ommon 26650 battery))).

Contact NASA-Tom here using private message feature.
December 29, 2018 07:51PM
I just sent Tom the money and ordered one for myself.

I can't wait to test it in the wet sand against the CZ20 and Equinox. I have some beaches where I've been digging colonial silver and early large cents. I think an extra inch or so of depth will really help me there.
December 29, 2018 08:36PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Rivers rat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where can i buy one for UK or France???
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > RR
>
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> -----
> > Ok. I'm configured to launch some more Tarsacci'
> s.
> > Should anyone be interested...…. send me a PM.
> > (((And..... we could also ship a few...… Interna
> ti
> > onally; yet, without the battery...….. but you w
> il
> > l certainly get the battery charger. It's a very
> c
> > ommon 26650 battery))).
>
>
> Contact NASA-Tom here using private message fea
> ture.

Thanks!!!!

RR
December 29, 2018 08:46PM
Sterling pendant and 14k ring (1.2 gram) I found with 8000 on the same day, in salt water & black sand.
Sorry I was not clear here- No, we have dozens of other gold rings found with our other machines. I only referred to our finds in the last week with the MDT 8000.

We have 6 Excals, 3 Equinox, 2 CZs, a CTX and a bunch of other fine machines (gathering dust) between us. We have been using our Tarsacci's for a couple months. We've met with Mr. Gargov on the beach for a total of about 8 hours to discuss and learn how to use this unique detector and our impressions and reactions to using it. I also had nearly an hour on the phone with NASA-Tom who confirmed our progress and assessments of the Tarsacci.

This has been a 'Bucket List' level experience for me to be on the inside of a product pre-release and final beta testing where the developers are personally participating. I cannot fully express how impressed I am with how candid and honest everyone has been about the detector.

I am happy to respond to questions about my experience here. I am not a super expert or the person to handle genuine technical questions, I just have a unique perspective and experience with this detector.

Elbert Wrote:
> PasttomWrote: Larry and I have scored 1 to 2 gram
> gold and silver rings at 6 to 8 inches in the wate
> r and wet sand while the other guys are reporting
> no jewelry finds just coins.
>
> Hi Tom, I assume you mean by other machines.
>
> El

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2018 09:52PM by Pasttom.
December 30, 2018 04:27AM
Tom - Nice finds.... I am saving $ for an 8000 right now. Emil
December 30, 2018 12:46PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Ster
> ling pendant and 14k ring (1.2 gram) I found with
> 8000 on the same day, in salt water & black sand.
> Sorry I was not clear here- No, we have dozens of
> other gold rings found with our other machines. [
> u]I only referred to our finds in the last week wi
> th the MDT 8000.[/u]
>
> We have 6 Excals, 3 Equinox, 2 CZs, a CTX and a bu
> nch of other fine machines (gathering dust) betwee
> n us. We have been using our Tarsacci's for a cou
> ple months. We've met with Mr. Gargov on the beac
> h for a total of about 8 hours to discuss and lear
> n how to use this unique detector and our impressi
> ons and reactions to using it. I also had nearly
> an hour on the phone with NASA-Tom who confirmed o
> ur progress and assessments of the Tarsacci.
>
> This has been a 'Bucket List' level experience for
> me to be on the inside of a product pre-release an
> d final beta testing where the developers are pers
> onally participating. I cannot fully express how
> impressed I am with how candid and honest everyone
> has been about the detector.
>
> I am happy to respond to questions about my experi
> ence here. I am not a super expert or the person
> to handle genuine technical questions, I just have
> a unique perspective and experience with this dete
> ctor.

I have a couple quick questions for you pastTom - which frequency do you run in primarily, and have you noticed a significant difference in the other freqs for particular targets, ie would you have missed targets if you had been in a lower or higher freq. upon switching to others as a test? Also, which mode do run in most of the time? Iinterested in your opinion now that now that you have probably hundreds of hours on the detector. Any other insights in your settings that you use on your beaches? TIA.
December 30, 2018 05:31PM
Gary in D. sadly the Tarsacci is just like every other detector in the best advise is in the manual. Beyond that universal truth... do what we did. Bury what you most want/expect to find and try different freq.s and modes. See what works for you and your location. See how deep you can bury it before it is beyond reach. Try lifting the coil to see how much air you can get (knowing that poor swing habits are still going to cost you performance). I came away preferring to use 12 K, Larry went 9 and NASA-Tom seems to lean toward 18. Common wisdom is lower freq. for high conductors and higher freq. for lower i.e. gold; lower freq. deeper penetration; higher freq. better separation; etc. does have merit, BUT experiment with settings. In our test session it was easy to see how changes effected the response. Be aware of difference in Black Sand on or off. Check GB if you start to get noise- for me it's usually not changed through the hunt or maybe once or twice in a bad location. For me the Salt Balance is nearly always 26 and on. Larry has liked to turn off Black Sand on the beach, not me. It's not so much right or wrong, but what works for you (not easy for a pastor to say...).

I hope this helps. Dimitar and NASA-Tom are light years beyond me using this unit. If they disagree with my advice I hope they will chime in.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
December 30, 2018 07:01PM
I have stayed at 18 due to iron pieces from picket style fences used to hold back the dunes. I tried others and didn't seem to see the deeper pieces in very wet sand. I see the separation and depth in 18k. If I notice noise I adjust salt balance, sens. then threshold in that order as I have already GB in the dry sand. I believe it was mention the gap between the GB and Salt balance is used by the machine for the salt conductivity.
Laptop toast going to shop in am and the weather has been bad when the tide is right but looks like I will have a break in am with smaller chances of rain for next 2 days.
December 30, 2018 09:39PM
Sounds right, though I would do threshold BEFORE sensitivity, but what do others say?

Past(or)Tom
December 30, 2018 10:27PM
Thanks Pasttom,
Actually I have done most of what you recommended so far and seem to prefer 12 kHz, but was just curious what you all had settled on because 18 also does a good job as well. I think I will stay at 12 primarily for now till I find a good reason to move to 18 KHz.
My ground balance is still set at 500 Dash 501 and salt settings run well from 25 to 27 as the manual suggests. Haven’t found a need to balance it manually yet since it works well.
You didn’t mention your mode. Which mode do you prefer, or do you just stay in all-metal? I prefer using all-metal until I get to know the T’sacci a bit better.
Haven’t found a need for black sand setting yet as we really don’t have very much black sand on our beaches here in Florida.
To me, thresholds setting seem very similar, I stay at manual setting.
I found I can run mineon the jagged edge at 7 or 8 sensitivity with a few pops and ticks now and then, but seems to be very deep and fairly stable.
Found my first ring today at depth 6-7, target ID was 4-5. Unfortunately it was junk.
Judging by how many tiny lead split shot and can slaw I have detected at 2-3 inches and nickles at 12” or more, I doubt very seriously I’ve walked over any gold yet. Unit is extremely sensitive to very small non-ferrous items.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 10:33PM by Gary in Daytona.
December 30, 2018 10:39PM
Yeah Gary, seems it likes smaller things. Even smaller things hunting dirt.

For those interested. I’ll have 2 videos up (in separate thread) comparing Tarsacci, EQX 800, Deus LF/HF coil, Anfibio multi over 2 targets in the wild located with EQX 800.
A video will be dedicated for each target showing comparisons.
Will be a while before they are posted.
Video will clearly show, you don’t have to have Culpeper level mineralized soil to have soil masking going on to prevent one from finding stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 10:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2018 10:46PM
I’ll check out your videos, thanks. I’ll be taking mine out in the dirt on Tuesday, it’s going to be an interesting test run because the location has history which means it has a significant amount of iron too.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Yeah Gary, seems it likes smaller things. Even sm
> aller things hunting dirt.
>
> For those interested. I’ll have 2 videos up (in se
> parate thread) comparing Tarsacci, EQX 800, Deus L
> F/HF coil, Anfibio multi over 2 targets in the wil
> d located with EQX 800.
> A video will be dedicated for each target showing
> comparisons.
> Will be a while before they are posted.
December 30, 2018 11:21PM
Mode wise I usually do All M. I will go Mix if I get bored at the monotony of ferrous targets and Disc when I get brain fried and just don't want to hear anything but happy sounds.

Past(or)Tom
December 31, 2018 12:45AM
I think I like 12 KHz so far but have only used the others a few times. 12 seems like a good all around setting. I've found that using black sand when you don't need it hinders depth so unless you need to use it, it's best to leave it off.

Mixed mode is what I prefer at the moment. I really like having that tone on the end that alerts you to a good target, All metal would be fine when targets are not as close together and you have time to analyze each one. I think Disc mode is going to work the best in iron as the length of the tone is going to allow better separation. I have a pretty trashy yard that is littered with nails and other pieces of iron, it's also highly mineralized. Using disc mode I've been able to pick out a few low conductor targets my other detectors missed.

I know it's time consuming but the thing that has helped me the most with the Tarsacci is to take out another detector I'm familiar with and compare targets in the wild. It will boost your confidence with the Tarsacci and you soon realize the Tarsacci is still giving a dig me ID while the others are giving an iron ID. I've done this with the Deus and Equinox in the dirt and the Equinox and Explorer in the sand.

Another real good suggestion others have made is once you find a target, play with all the settings on the target until you find what works best for that area.

The last few weeks have been good weather but now I have 4 inches of snow and temps in the 20's so I won't be able to get back out until next weekend when it warms back up a little. More testing and videos to come.
December 31, 2018 01:17AM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Sounds right, though I would do threshold BEFORE s
> ensitivity, but what do others say?

Just my understanding but the closer to 0 in threshold the better for salt/mineral environment. You can over power sens. and cause what I call a "blast" and turning threshold down will clear the "picture" but with a lot of depth loss on low conductor targets that this md is suppose to see better by using the conductivity of the salt/minerals to its advantage. It seems to be the "fine tuning" of the "gap" salt balance and GB when you want to push the sens up or have some emi interference. I was running mine last at -1 and 8 sens with 23 SB for a lot of area I was at recently. Went down to 7 on sens and still sees targets. When it got to where the coil was noisy when I pumped coil I would adjust the SB and it would get quite. Once as high as 33. Digging as deep as possibly could in the wet sand. I was hitting a harder surface and scoop was hitting it at about 16". Targets were sitting on the harder bottom. A lot of work for high conductor targets but had to see what was there. Several I had to leave just could not get them. Would have put hand down there if any had been a low cond. target. lol
December 31, 2018 02:00AM
I agree that turning threshold down loses you depth faster that sensitivity, at least that has been my experience. Also agree that getting the salt balance correct is very important because once you get it right you can push the limit on the other settings.
December 31, 2018 03:57PM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Mode wise I usually do All M. I will go Mix if I
> get bored at the monotony of ferrous targets and D
> isc when I get brain fried and just don't want to
> hear anything but happy sounds.

Thank Tom, appreciate the info.
January 01, 2019 06:33PM
Due to time, priorities and other commitments, I feel that I have neglected this particular thread.

* Badger...…… If you are looking for silver and copper coins; you may find that 6-Khz (or 9-Khz) would suit those interests to a much greater extent. And probably more than just 1-inch.

* Always perform a Ground Balance FIRST. Then...….. you can perform the Salt Balance.

I'm glad to see folks experimenting with different settings and different frequencies. Yes..... the Threshold has a more pronounced effect on performance...….. then would otherwise meet-the-eye. This is to include; over other units threshold adjustments.
January 01, 2019 07:05PM
Is the manual available for down load?
January 01, 2019 08:16PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Is the manual available for down load?

[drive.google.com]
January 02, 2019 11:36AM
Thanks Elbert...... time to do some reading. Question...... if you are getting 1 gram rings wont that equate to about the same on smaller gold items? I know there is a difference just because a ring is round... and obviously there would be a depth difference. What are we looking at here in comparison........ targets that say an Xcal might also find? Is it bumping out a good bit of that foil range? In the water seems to be a challenge for most machines on gold more so than wet sand. Things really change out there.... thus not a lot of difference in whats being found. This sounds like a machine that would compete with a lot of PIs for depth....... is there plans to water proof it? I also look at it like this.....with the Nox becoming popular and less expensive to buy.... the Xcals and other machines currently used may get more closet time. That opens up the need for the machine few have.... that edge if you will. But.... you need to remove that speaker if thats the issue for waterproofing..... no one really needs it for beach hunting. Sound like it has potential for deeper water use.
January 02, 2019 12:32PM
For those using Tarsacci.
Remember I have no experience salt water/beach hunting.

So for folks who have used PI detectors in the environments above, what is dug generally when looking for gold whatever?
And thus far what is dug using Tarsacci?

Is there a difference in junk being dug? Ferrous here would fall in this category also.

And if a user in the environments above was using PI detector going for high conductive coins/rings, etc does this open up a user to dig even more junk?
And the Tarsacci users going for high conductive coins/rings, etc, how does the junk rate here differ from using PI unit??

I realize different model PI units not all equal in performance or attributes.

But would like someone or a few who has used both in salt sand, and or black sand to comment.
And I realize Tarsacci users likely have limited experience/time on unit.

But any info if had could help shed light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 12:34PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 02, 2019 01:20PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> For those using Tarsacci.
> Remember I have no experience salt water/beach hun
> ting.
>
> So for folks who have used PI detectors in the env
> ironments above, what is dug generally when lookin
> g for gold whatever?
> And thus far what is dug using Tarsacci?
>
> Is there a difference in junk being dug? Ferrous
> here would fall in this category also.
>
> And if a user in the environments above was using
> PI detector going for high conductive coins/rings,
> etc does this open up a user to dig even more junk
> ?
> And the Tarsacci users going for high conductive c
> oins/rings, etc, how does the junk rate here diffe
> r from using PI unit??
>
> I realize different model PI units not all equal i
> n performance or attributes.
>
> But would like someone or a few who has used both
> in salt sand, and or black sand to comment.
> And I realize Tarsacci users likely have limited e
> xperience/time on unit.
>
> But any info if had could help shed light.

I don't have my Tarsacci yet but it stands to reason that, if you are getting more depth, you are going to dig more junk. There is nothing wrong with that.

The problem with PI units is their limited ability to tell ferrous from non-ferrous. They get the depth but don't have much ID capability.

This is where I'm hoping the MDT 8000 will set itself apart from the previous technologies. Hopefully with it, we will dig less ferrous than we would with a PI and detect non-ferrous at greater depths than any VLF ever could.

This is why we need some accurate depth comparisons, so that we can know if this is actually happening.

If it can't ID non-ferrous at greater depths than the best VLF's, there is little point in buying it.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 01:43PM by Badger in NH.
January 02, 2019 02:54PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> -----
> > For those using Tarsacci.
> > Remember I have no experience salt water/beach h
> un
> > ting.
> >
> > So for folks who have used PI detectors in the e
> nv
> > ironments above, what is dug generally when look
> in
> > g for gold whatever?
> > And thus far what is dug using Tarsacci?
> >
> > Is there a difference in junk being dug? Ferrou
> s
> > here would fall in this category also.
> >
> > And if a user in the environments above was usin
> g
> > PI detector going for high conductive coins/ring
> s,
> > etc does this open up a user to dig even more ju
> nk
> > ?
> > And the Tarsacci users going for high conductive
> c
> > oins/rings, etc, how does the junk rate here dif
> fe
> > r from using PI unit??
> >
> > I realize different model PI units not all equal
> i
> > n performance or attributes.
> >
> > But would like someone or a few who has used bot
> h
> > in salt sand, and or black sand to comment.
> > And I realize Tarsacci users likely have limited
> e
> > xperience/time on unit.
> >
> > But any info if had could help shed light.
>
>
> I don't have my Tarsacci yet but it stands to reas
> on that, if you are getting more depth, you are go
> ing to dig more junk. There is nothing wrong with
> that.
>
> The problem with PI units is their limited ability
> to tell ferrous from non-ferrous. They get the dep
> th but don't have much ID capability.
>
> This is where I'm hoping the MDT 8000 will set its
> elf apart from the previous technologies. Hopefull
> y with it, we will dig less ferrous than we would
> with a PI and detect non-ferrous at greater depths
> than any VLF ever could.
>
> This is why we need some accurate depth comparison
> s, so that we can know if this is actually happeni
> ng.
>
> If it can't ID non-ferrous at greater depths than
> the best VLF's, there is little point in buying it
> .
>
> .

Your last statement. As it pertains to salt water, salt sand/black sand.

If it can't ID non-ferrous at greater depths than
> the best VLF's, there is little point in buying it
> .

I think there are 2 facets here to look at.
If Tarsacci is indeed detecting nonferrous deeper than vlfs.
If Tarsacci is able just to tell object is nonferrous - not necessarily give accurate ID on the nonferrous conductive scale.
If it does one or both of above. It would be advancement the way I see things.
January 02, 2019 03:29PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Your last statement. As it pertains to salt water,
> salt sand/black sand.
>
> If it can't ID non-ferrous at greater depths th
> an
> > the best VLF's, there is little point in buying
> it
> > .

> I think there are 2 facets here to look at.
> If Tarsacci is indeed detecting nonferrous deeper
> than vlfs.
> If Tarsacci is able just to tell object is nonferr
> ous - not necessarily give accurate ID on the nonf
> errous conductive scale.
> If it does one or both of above. It would be adva
> ncement the way I see things.

I almost specified wet sand but if it can perform in dirt as well, all the better. I'm mostly buying it for beach use.

Personally, I have little interest in the conductive scale so in that respect, the Tarsacci would still be very much worth buying even if it had no VDI feature, although if that were the case I would expect the price to be lower.

Tracking says my machine will be here this Saturday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 03:38PM by Badger in NH.
January 02, 2019 03:36PM
PBadger in NH Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> -----
> > Your last statement. As it pertains to salt wate
> r,
> > salt sand/black sand.
> >
> > If it can't ID non-ferrous at greater depths
> th
> > an
> > > the best VLF's, there is little point in buyin
> g
> > it
> > > .

> > I think there are 2 facets here to look at.
> > If Tarsacci is indeed detecting nonferrous deepe
> r
> > than vlfs.
> > If Tarsacci is able just to tell object is nonfe
> rr
> > ous - not necessarily give accurate ID on the no
> nf
> > errous conductive scale.
> > If it does one or both of above. It would be ad
> va
> > ncement the way I see things.
>
>
> I almost specified wet sand but if it can perform
> in dirt as well, all the better. I'm mostly buying
> it for beach use.
>
> Personally, I have little interest in the conducti
> ve scale so in that respect, the Tarsacci would st
> ill be very much worth buying even if it had no VD
> I feature.
>
> Tracking says my machine will be here this Saturda
> y.
>
> .

You may have more interest in Tarsacci conductive scale after you use. Louder signals with higher id in salt water/sand scenario you may walk to sacrifice time for actual gold finds. Or lower ID sounding louder say ID of 2-5, you may sacrifice odds wise for time sake and go find other signals. Up your odds time wise for gold ring(s). We’ll see soon when you get your unit.
Strength of signal, this may be used to apply weight to validity of accurate ID. And could sure keep a person from digging smaller foil, high conductive clad. Yes silver whatever would be passsed on. Just depends on one’s mission when using.

This next statement may sound a bit bold. After yesterday’s experiences and prior. Tarsacci to me could be the most resonant detector on object with a hole in middle like washer , ring - closed. This just might help it be a super ring seeker in the wet salt sand, black sand and sea water. Definitley more resonant than EQX. I even witnessed this on tilted nonferous buried object with hole with enclosure. Undisturbed objects buried since 1992.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 03:56PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 02, 2019 03:54PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> You may have more interest in Tarsacci conductive
> scale after you use. Louder signals with higher i
> d in salt water/sand scenario you may walk to sacr
> ifice time for actual gold finds. Or lower ID soun
> ding louder say ID of 2-5, you may sacrifice odds
> wise for time sake and go find other signals. Up
> your odds time wise for gold ring(s). We’ll see s
> oon when you get your unit.

I guess we don't have as much trash here compared to other parts of the world. I rarely need to pass up non-ferrous targets. Iron/steel is the biggest problem, mostly small pieces of lobster trap.

In winter, we're basically beach relic hunting so we're digging anything non-ferrous. Lots of history on our beaches.

January 02, 2019 03:59PM
Are you the one who is sometimes in Mikes videos?

Badger in NH Wrote:
> I just sent Tom the money and ordered one for myse
> lf.
>
> I can't wait to test it in the wet sand against th
> e CZ20 and Equinox. I have some beaches where I've
> been digging colonial silver and early large cents
> . I think an extra inch or so of depth will really
> help me there.