Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
January 08, 2019 02:09PM
I meant to post this last night but time got away. The cross is 14k and I am going to use this to test with today. It is only visible to 3" in wet sand with e Trac and several other MD's hardly see it.
January 09, 2019 01:19AM
Had a long walk to find a spot that had some targets in it, Tungsten and Titanium mans rings and only 2 coins. I ear post. Want get out again for the rest of week. Really didn't have to change settings from last hunt. beginning to wonder if batt gauge is working. 3 hours today and still at 3 bars. Can't complain unless it drops like a rock when out on beach. Carry the backup. I forgot my carrot today and the tiny targets were every where. Some the MD would see buy I couldn't see them. Did get several copper fishing beads and some small shards of aluminum. It will find tiny stuff almost to the point of a pain but can be a good pain if I hit the diamonds. HH JR

January 09, 2019 01:39AM
So JR, did you do tests with the cross buried???

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 01:42AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 09, 2019 02:02AM
Totally can echo almost everything you said in your post. It took me until the third day before I found a spot where there are some targets in it, but when I did… Wow !
I also thought my battery indicator was broken until on the fourth day and 12 hours later, it finally dropped a bar. Seems logical because you don’t have to adjust the settings very often unless you are testing. T’sacci sure is light as a feather, well-balanced and seems to be a real battery miser. Oh, and I’m having the same ‘issues’ with tiny targets. Tom mentioned that this detector might not be good for finding micro gold but my results so far have Indicated it might be very good for micro gold. You can see a few of those very tiny items and a small section of a silver chain I found in 18khz in my photo. Keep up the great finds, I might not be able to get out until later this week. G in DB

ShovelNose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had a long walk to find a spot that had some targe
> ts in it, Tungsten and Titanium mans rings and onl
> y 2 coins. I ear post. Want get out again for the
> rest of week. Really didn't have to change setting
> s from last hunt. beginning to wonder if batt gaug
> e is working. 3 hours today and still at 3 bars. C
> an't complain unless it drops like a rock when out
> on beach. Carry the backup. I forgot my carrot tod
> ay and the tiny targets were every where. Some the
> MD would see buy I couldn't see them. Did get seve
> ral copper fishing beads and some small shards of
> aluminum. It will find tiny stuff almost to the po
> int of a pain but can be a good pain if I hit the
> diamonds. HH JR
January 09, 2019 05:47AM
Hi Gary in Daytona.

How does the 8000 go on fine gold chains.

Regards Pinpointa.
January 09, 2019 10:45AM
I get a ton of those tiny targets that can make you blind...... but gold isnt a high conductor so i wouldnt assume micro gold. But i am waiting to see just how small it will find. Hopefully PastTom will find some on his trip.
January 09, 2019 12:24PM
pinpointa Wrote:
> Hi Gary in Daytona.
>
> How does the 8000 go on fine gold chains.
>
> Regards Pinpointa.

Don’t know yet, I haven’t had a chance to test that as yet. Don’t have one around anywhere right now. Maybe one of the others will chime in on that.
January 09, 2019 12:42PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I get a ton of those tiny targets that can make yo
> u blind...... but gold isnt a high conductor so i
> wouldnt assume micro gold. But i am waiting to s
> ee just how small it will find. Hopefully PastTom
> will find some on his trip.

Except the chain in my photos, all the tiny targets were low conductive targets (1-6 on 8000 scale), and very small. When I refer to micro gold, I mean stud earrings, small pendants and other fairly small gold items so I would think it would work the same with those. It’s a pain to dig (find) those tiny items, but on the other hand the one time you see some small gold shining out of the sand, it will make it worthwhile.
January 09, 2019 04:10PM
I took the cross but didn't test. Had several friends with me and I just forgot it was in shirt pocket.

I haven't found or tested a chain but Tom mention he wasn't 100% on all but didn't think it would do any better on seeing the links. I have no doubt that it would see a clasp at deeper depth than other MD's. Thing is you have to listen for the softer tones the deeper smaller targets make. I was using earbuds yesterday and I'm going back to headphones at least till summer for just that reason. I forgot my carrot and finding the micro pieces of aluminum was frustrating. MD is clear as a bell but I can't see it. With its tendency to see such small low conductor particles(that's how small they are) I would think if it goes over micro in the sand a chance you could hear it if careful. Problem in the really wet sand is getting it with a scoop. Thinking on my 9" scoop the holes would let it threw. Thinking back I have already experienced this but gave up on target after a bunch of scoops. I know I should be testing the freq. and comparing but the 18 is working and I just turned it on yesterday and went. I haven't even thought about changing from mixed mode.

Tom, the question I have is I remember if MD is used in just disc it is not as deep as AM. So if I use mixed mode I'm getting the benefits of AM but the added info from the disc tones on target ID also but with no loss of depth?

I left my disc on 0 and noticed the bottle caps give such a bouncy ID. Good targets don't seem to stray much but irregular shapes like can bottoms and a lot of costume jewelry are all over the place but stay in non ferrous range. Bottle caps go into iron range and then back to the high conductor range. Pop tabs seem to blast at you even the deeper ones.
January 09, 2019 05:43PM
Anyone determined if this is a beach machine or also a bad dirt machine for depth..nor so much worried about unmasking just raw depth in Iron Dirt.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 09, 2019 08:46PM
Thanks Guys, The Vallon seems to be a very deep detector.

Regards Pinpointa.
January 09, 2019 09:21PM
I got mine Monday evening and tried it in the test garden yesterday. It was able to pick up the 12" silver dime in my clean dirt. That seemed to be about max depth but I'm still new to the detector. The Equinox maxes out on the 10" dime in Park and Field modes.

I took it to the beach today. No real testing, just getting to know the machine. The tide was coming in so I was limited to the upper beach slope, not really wet sand but not dry either. I used Mix mode, Sens 9, Threshold -2, Disc 0 and it remained stable and quiet. I dug a clad quarter and buried it at 12 inches. The Tarsacci picked it up no problem and ID'ed it correctly. My Equinox and CZ20 usually only get about 9" at the beach.

I really like this detector. It seems to be performing as I hoped it would. I like Mix mode best but will probably use AM if there aren't many targets around. It was easier to learn than I expected.

Once I get it all dialed in, I'll do some more accurate tests and compare targets with my other detectors. So far it's a winner.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 11:16PM by Badger in NH.
January 10, 2019 12:07AM
JR.……... that PLAT ring looks to be about a size 4.
JR.…...... All 3 Modes are ……. for all practical purposes...…. exactly the same depth...…. with a tangential twist. The All Metal Mode is more human-ear friendly.... at higher Sens settings (and boosted Threshold settings). More specifically...….. falsing at higher Sens settings …. are more intelligible (vs the other two Modes).

Dew...…. the Tarsacci has been tested 4 times on the West Coast of FL; yet, I'm waiting to hear the results.

Badger... your results are on-par with expectations IF you have a fair amount of mineralization on your wet-salt beaches. Good report. (((Were you on 18-Khz?)))

You guys be careful with tiny HIGH conductor targets (vs tiny LOW conductor targets). Night/Day difference!
January 10, 2019 12:52AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
>
> Badger... your results are on-par with expectation
> s IF you have a fair amount of mineralization on y
> our wet-salt beaches. Good report. (((Were you on
> 18-Khz?)))

Yes, I was using 18kHz for gold.

I don't know how mineralized our beaches are. I never gave it much thought. We do normally get about 10% less depth on the wet sand compared to most of our inland dirt so it must be mineralization that is causing it.

When I get around to burying targets in the wet sand for testing, I will be using both gold and silver targets and testing them with each frequency. That might be a week or two away. Too cold for that right now.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 12:04PM by Badger in NH.
cdv
January 11, 2019 02:54PM
For those that already have the 8000, what headphone connector is on the machine? Picture of the backside of the machine?
Has the pinout for the headphone connector been posted yet?

IF I was to get one of these, I'd want to modify one of my existing sets of headphones for water use.

Thanks
Cliff
January 11, 2019 04:05PM
I agree Cliff...... and if its a M12 for the headphones is it a 6 pin or 4 and can it be done using the same pins as the CTX? Id like to see the back showing the connectors clearly.

Now if you are going to bury stuff....... please use a pocket knife and cut a slip in the side of the hole and put that target in there. BUT in all honesty ..... best ive found is on a found targets slowly removing material and using a PPer to find it. Because you KNOW you heard it and didnt know it was there in the first place. AlBadger.... or anyone can you test it against a CTX? Also, were those depths for your Xcal and CZ..... in disc? There is a difference in depth from AM/PP. Im like Tom....... not really looking for tiny high conductors. My interest is gold.....if theres enough modulation to ID it as a small high conductor .... some days ill move right on rather than chase it.

I will say this about beach hunting ....... if theres to much sand not even a PI is going to help most of the time. Got to watch the conditions...... and hope some rip currents or waves moves something and YOU find it first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 04:29PM by dewcon4414.
January 11, 2019 09:41PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I agree Cliff...... and if its a M12 for the headp
> hones is it a 6 pin or 4 and can it be done using
> the same pins as the CTX? Id like to see the bac
> k showing the connectors clearly.
>
> Now if you are going to bury stuff....... please u
> se a pocket knife and cut a slip in the side of th
> e hole and put that target in there. BUT in all
> honesty ..... best ive found is on a found targets
> slowly removing material and using a PPer to find
> it. Because you KNOW you heard it and didnt know
> it was there in the first place. AlBadger.... or
> anyone can you test it against a CTX? Also, were
> those depths for your Xcal and CZ..... in disc?
> There is a difference in depth from AM/PP. Im li
> ke Tom....... not really looking for tiny high con
> ductors. My interest is gold.....if theres enough
> modulation to ID it as a small high conductor ....
> some days ill move right on rather than chase it.
>
> I will say this about beach hunting ....... if the
> res to much sand not even a PI is going to help mo
> st of the time. Got to watch the conditions.....
> . and hope some rip currents or waves moves somet
> hing and YOU find it first.

I've been using the CZ20 on the wet sand for two decades, if there is a difference in depth between AM and 0 Disc, I haven't seen it. I have never found a target with AM that could not be picked up in 0 Disc. AM might have a slightly wider signal but they will both pick up the target.

January 11, 2019 10:04PM
Badger in NH Wrote:

> I've been using the CZ20 on the wet sand for two d
> ecades, if there is a difference in depth between
> AM and 0 Disc, I haven't seen it. I have never fou
> nd a target with AM that could not be picked up in
> 0 Disc. AM might have a slightly wider signal but
> they will both pick up the target.
>
> .

Badger...I concur. Been running an older CZ20 (big knobs) for decades as well as my CZ6a's in the NJ wet sand and have not seen any difference in depth between AM and Disc 0.

The only time I use AM is when the beach is pretty barren in terms of targets and I am looking for spots with targets. AM allows a faster sweep speed and the coil does have a wider signal so you can cover more ground. Once I do hit a spot, I switch to Disc 0 and slow down.
January 12, 2019 12:08AM
You maybe be right about the CZ u have more time on it than me.....but I assure u that’s not the case with the Xcal.....machines very.
January 12, 2019 12:37AM
All of the CZ units I've used the AM mode was no deeper than the Disc. mode

dewcon4414 Wrote:
> You maybe be right about the CZ u have more time o
> n it than me.....but I assure u that’s not the cas
> e with the Xcal.....machines very.
January 12, 2019 05:07PM
Here you go. Hope this helps. As you can see, the pins lineup so that the pigtail goes down and out of your way when it’s connected. Nice feature by design. I can’t Help with the pin configuration maybe Tom would be able to help you there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 05:09PM by Gary in Daytona.
cdv
January 12, 2019 06:05PM
Thanks Gary, appreciate the photos. I'm sure Tom can give further info on connector type and pinout.

Cliff
January 12, 2019 06:11PM
Nicely done on the photos Gary! Is it possible to order a connection from NASA-Tom for the headphone of our choice? I'd love (pay) for one that was a 1/4 inch standard jack or even maybe a Equinox or ?
If it was not too high priced I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 12, 2019 06:48PM
I second the 1/4 size adapter.
January 12, 2019 07:15PM
How does the "Black Sand" mode work?

I know what black sand is. We have it at our beaches. I'm just wondering what is happening when we turn on Black Sand. Is it a kind of boost? Is black sand the only type of ground where it is useful?

January 13, 2019 12:01AM
Pasttom Wrote:
> Nicely done on the photos Gary! Is it possible to
> order a connection from NASA-Tom for the headphone
> of our choice? I'd love (pay) for one that was a
> 1/4 inch standard jack or even maybe a Equinox or
> ?
> If it was not too high priced I'd do it in a heart
> beat!

I asked about that Pasttom and Tom did say it was a maybe a possibility later. I’d like one too because I want to use my Equinox Tony Eisenhower waterproof headphones with this detector as well and that would require an Equinox type adapter.
January 13, 2019 12:53AM
Gary have u talked to Tony about making one
January 13, 2019 12:58AM
Finally got out today with the weather being a little warmer. First place I took the Tarsacci was local park. EMI was terrible, Equinox has problems at this park as well. Got it settled down enough to use and was reminded why I hate hunting parks, too much trash. Not a good place for the Tarsacci IMO just too much going on.

Then I headed out to one of my permissions by a mid 1850's fort site. Ground was frozen but I toughed it out. Managed a few bullets as you can see. I think I'm going to like the Tarsacci as a relic hunting machine. I've used my Explorer, Equinox and GPX at this site and I feel the Tarsacci did pretty good. I'll post a video later a few of the bullets being dug.
January 13, 2019 01:40AM
I have Tony's for my Nox too and love using them...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 13, 2019 02:10AM
Video of my relic hunt with the Tarsacci.

YouTube Relic Hunt