Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

You American hunter's may want to keep any eye on this! ((DeepTech Vista -X)) 6-2-19 Airtest numbers for X (6-4-19) Vista X rundown Video and thoughts

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The wide Disc is got my interest thumbs down
Re: You American hunter's may want to keep any eye on this! ((DeepTech Vista -X))
April 20, 2019 12:42AM
Looking forward to this Vista model. Wonder about the Disc range. I still wish I had kept my Gold Mountain 1650. It had a two level disc...High and Low. This range was selected by a single toggle switch and single disc knob. High disc range was a tesoro-like level. Low disc range was a Vista-like level. Ran at 15 kHz. Had three sizes of round Concentric coils. Manual GB. One of the best I have used in iron. Still looking for a concentric coil for the Vista models.
Re: You American hunter's may want to keep any eye on this! ((DeepTech))
April 20, 2019 05:24AM
Very interested in seeing your field trials Keith!

geo
Re: Keith, could you explain how dual disc works?
April 20, 2019 11:14AM
Thanks Keith! I get it after that great explanation but with one more question - When you set the dual disc, do you bury the target your putting into that little window or is it fine to air it? My guess is the bury would be more fine tuned if it's the same soil you'd be hunting in.
Re: You American hunter's may want to keep any eye on this! ((DeepTech Vista -X))
April 20, 2019 11:53AM
One thing I do know , I have dug more good targets by sound then any metered machine..Nice!
texkinzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing I do know , I have dug more good targets
> by sound then any metered machine..Nice!

A good machine lets you dig by sound but has a VDI that simply provides additional information. Experienced hunters dont walk around staring at their screens, they listen and make 90% of the dig/no-dig choises based on what they hear.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

April 21, 2019 03:01AM
Well there is the gem of analog control Ozzie..You could say bury a Dirty Buffalo at 6 or 7 inches and create a super narrow window for it even bettering say a digital unit since the analog has more control of exactness.

Yet all the same thing's like any precise set disc'ing unit will still hold true as if there's lets say a nail say in the hole with it it will misread.

But what it does offer is ability to instead of just have a linear disc analog detector it create's a optional ability for the unit.And like we do with visual units we can open up the width some more to say text book nickle reads 35 but we also dig the 30-40 range to know we are getting some trash but also increase the chance of snagging a on edge nickle or a nail in hole nickle etc.But if your just dead serious about a specific target it can be extremely tight and dig only the nickle and occasional piece like broke tab that may slide in that slot.

For me a dual disc is more or less never used but I have done it for specific target and its worked quite well over the years.I jsut like the ability to start high disc and work down if i need above nail disc.This is what the X offers full range disc.Its available when needed and not just a site unit for dissecting iron now.

On a Tejon I set first disc an nail reject and second disc at zinc reject 75% of the places I hunt..and usually never even use second disc.But when I want to on some sort of hunt I cross check on disc 2 for high coins big brass etc..One thing I like to do with zinc second disc is in say a 1880s type house site where there's a lot of big flat iron.The big flat iron will sound like a big brass Buckle/Plate ---Larger than a coin but hitting hard on any sweep angle.If I switch to second disc the Buckle/Plate non ferrous will still sound larger and smooth but the iron will get more flat and or broken some to the tuned ear.So that's more of what I use it for.If a machine doesn't have a second disc some people thumb the disc and serves same purpose.

Another scenario when dealing with a KNOWN target say a lost earring in a yard..Get the matching one and set machine for it, and scan the yard to find its mate.

What's funny on analog audio only machine especially the Tejon once you get hours on them and know them like the back of you hand at least to the operator in control of it .A coin of high conductance has a different ring to it vs a nickle ..they both sound tight and round but you know its higher the way the signal snaps.The edges f the signal the rise and fall of the target is very telling on conductance of a target on a single tone unit.Nickles hit's later and stops shorter in the instance of peak hit like a rise and and fall but round Vs a coin that hits sooner and ends later with a sharp rise and fall though round and tight too. Low conductors like to start off sort of laggy before the sharp peak where as high conductors like to snap to peak almost instantly..You may not know it or even sense it at first it takes awhile and alot of holes dug to paint a picture that one day your 6th sense takes over when your swinging and you can start to sense TIMING of hits that are round.I'm talking nano seconds delay but after awhile you get a feel for it.If you try to notice it you may never in a learning environ. but after awhile even years of analog no Visual ID on same unit use day in day out your doing it and dont know your doing it.Even foil etc can become wavy and weird sounding..NON ROUND.Subtle waves in report.

Analog audio has tiny minute audio traces that a digital machine can not convey.Digital is getting better but there's still a place for audio aficionado hunting.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 21, 2019 03:37AM
Keith Southern Wrote:

>
> Analog audio has tiny minute audio traces that a d
> igital machine can not convey.Digital is getting b
> etter but there's still a place for audio aficiona
> do hunting.
>
> Keith

My first "big boy" detector was the Garrett MH-7. I had an old timer tell me that with enough practice you could HEAR the sound difference of silver coins verses clad and copper. So I spent several weeks with it in my living room at night. I would pass silver dimes, clad dimes and copper pennies across the coil for an hour each night. Sure enough, I learned the sound and I could accurately predict silver 90% of the time before I dug it. I've never had another detector since which I could do that with. I still wouldnt go back to that detector though! My Minelabs consistently find 10x MORE silver, and much much deeper coins than that old MH7 ever thought about.

Nuance is great, but its not a replacement for pure power and ability.

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

April 21, 2019 03:57AM
I agree that analog metal detectors have more descriptive Sound than digital. Once one uses a single tone for years you begin to learn the nuances...shape, depth. good / bad....very telling. When it comes to Sound, digital metal detectors rely more on Tone-ID to take the place of a single tones quality. Digital machines are, however, sounding better......still liking the Nokta
April 21, 2019 08:22AM
Makes sense Keith,.. Keeping the window open a tad wider for some elbow room ......being too precise we would loose some possibly good targets.Thanks again bud.
April 21, 2019 02:11PM
Analog is great, especially when paired with a small concentric search coil. If Deeptech doesn't come out with a small concentric search coil for the X in short order, I'm going to be getting another MXT with a 6" concentric search coil for my detector arsenal. This new Deeptech detector is looking good so far!

tabman
April 21, 2019 02:38PM
No interest here.
April 21, 2019 03:11PM
Why not make it a 3-4 Tone I.D. as that would have set it apart? Throw in some modulation and then all You have to do is listen for that certain tone.
If Tesoro would have done that with the Vaquero it may have saved the company IMO.
April 21, 2019 03:38PM
excellent point harold! seems almost a given that they should have done that! make you wonder what the hell they was thinkin' all those years! .i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
'
April 21, 2019 06:07PM
I'm kind of glad that they didn't do the 3 or 4 tone ID. A V-Nickel and a Barber quarter laying next to one another in the ground would likely ID as a screw cap or zinc penny and talk me out of digging. Maybe they'll do the next one with 3 or 4 tone ID, so then we can have both.

tabman
April 21, 2019 11:43PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Why not make it a 3-4 Tone I.D. as that would have
> set it apart? Throw in some modulation and then al
> l You have to do is listen for that certain tone.
> If Tesoro would have done that with the Vaquero it
> may have saved the company IMO.

If you use multiple tones to gauge any target, non-ferrous, I cannot see how you don't miss many good targets. Any
target non-ferrous is a good target to dig. Those that turn out to be foil could have just as easily been gold.
If there is any way to use multi tones without missing good targets please explain to me how you do it.
Do you just not dig the tones that register as pulltabs?

g
April 22, 2019 01:49PM
That's the beauty of it as you can dig what You want according to site. If You want to dig above iron then dig those tones. If you are in a trashy park and don't want to spend all Your time on your knees like a 10 dollar hooker then dig the high tones or mid tones that are deeper with some modulation. That's where the modulated audio comes in.
That's the way I like to detect anyways.
April 22, 2019 08:21PM
Looking past your $10 hooker analogy, why not just dial the discrimination up?
Metal detecting and digging good (gold) targets is not a hobby for the lazy.
April 22, 2019 09:44PM
Sometimes when you dial your disc. up you loose co located targets. I just like to hear it all. Also on some units you loose depth when you raise the disc. Maybe not this one though as never owned a Deep Tech machine?
April 23, 2019 09:17AM
...it'll probably be a while before we see any Test Results / Videos 'cos Ziggy has been on vacation...looking forward to anything at all you might produce!
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Why not make it a 3-4 Tone I.D. as that would have
> set it apart? Throw in some modulation and then al
> l You have to do is listen for that certain tone.
> If Tesoro would have done that with the Vaquero it
> may have saved the company IMO.

Harold funny thing is that I how I use my Deus.....No nuance in digital detectors what in the world are you guys talking about???? I can tell round objects with the Deus as it has a round sound to the tone and has very good modulation which you can change to suit your needs.( Put the remote in my pocket and listen to the tones.) The Equinox SCREAMS coin when it is over one.... 875.00 bucks for a 2 tone non metered machine in todays market is almost comical to me. .

PREDICTION It will come out and the usual talk it up business will go on and in a few months then it will be like the ole vista gold gain and fade in to detector oblivion......lol

BTW if a 2 tone beep and digger is your thing then go for it BUT to me the Deus and Equinox are a lot more fun to use and will also produce more finds if your CHERRY picking targets from trash...
April 23, 2019 01:50PM
I don't get it. Who is the target market for this machine? A few nostalgic old timers? Why follow Tesoro down the path of no return?

DOA.

Dean
April 23, 2019 02:20PM
I like the concept of the X, but if it's overly priced for a simple beep and dig detector, it will die on the vine. We don't even know how well the X separates, unmask or how deep it is. If it can't beat the Deus or Equinox at those 3 task, then way would anyone want one and give up all the features that the Deus and Equinox offer, especially at the same price point?

tabman
April 23, 2019 02:53PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why not make it a 3-4 Tone I.D. as that would ha
> ve
> > set it apart? Throw in some modulation and then
> al
> > l You have to do is listen for that certain tone
> .
> > If Tesoro would have done that with the Vaquero
> it
> > may have saved the company IMO.
>
> Harold funny thing is that I how I use my Deus....
> .875.00 bucks for a 2
> tone non metered machine in todays market is almos
> t comical to me. .
>
My 'bad' - I said the Price was pure CONJECTURE"
April 23, 2019 04:05PM
Please deposit 2¢ (Copper only please) in the coin slot - cause here’s my 2¢ worth of opinion...

Making a general purpose detector for the US market now....Table Stakes include

Waterproofed (more or less)
Reliable VID on US coins (totally irrelevant outside US)
Flexibility on tone assignment and volume differential between tones
Price no higher than Equinox
Lightweight ergonomic mechanical design
3 - 5 year warranty (option for two tier - first year postage paid both ways - subsequent years, buyer pays the TO - Mfg. pays the FROM
Option to use rechargeable batteries - OPTION, not built in.
Control head removable in case of need to send in for service

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 23, 2019 05:05PM
1. Depth
2. Unmasking
3. Separation
4. Waterproof
5. Light weight

Not necessarily in that order but close.

My .02

geo
April 23, 2019 05:25PM
Des.Ill see what i can do when it arrives Video wise.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 23, 2019 05:42PM
The main draw back to the Deus in the relic world is the ability to signal weird shapes in iron.like non round.Its very strong on round like coins and buttons that's why they sound so good .the weird shapes that are non round are the things on a Deus that does not jump out at you..it hears them but its doesn't give much to go on like some other units.

Round sounds is a old term that does not mean round objects in terminology Calabash.It means the way a non ferrous target rises and falls in a complete rise peak fall in terms of its sounds rounded or perfect resonator.

Round objects do this naturally weird shapes on some machines do not.But the weird shapes that are base metals on some machines can sound round rise, peak and fall cleanly in a sea of iron .

Deus loves round shapes and sounds round on them.

Others can love weird and round shapes and they will sound round

Round being a tone that gets you to stop and dig even when masked easier that the pops and clicks ..pops and clicks clarity is a whole other digging level to explore if you ever get time to explore.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 23, 2019 08:08PM
I’ll keep an eye on this detector.

Contrary to popular belief, Deus DOESN’T like round. Deus like round but disc shaped targets. If gold were shape of pearls or coins were the shape of pearls, or round balls, Deus the way it is currently programmed would have been a big FLOP.

I do know one detector that likes technically round.

Might as well put the new X detector up against the gold gain unit. Let’s see which one out separates the other.

I’ll stop now. Don’t want to upset anyone.

Cheers.

I wish Deeptech a grand launch with this new model X and hope they sell boatloads.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 08:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 23, 2019 08:34PM
Man I'm going to have to throw all the round musket balls of all sizes back in the ground because I should not have found them with my Deus.

El