Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
December 22, 2022 02:19PM
Something worth mentioning again; yet, from a different angle.

On EQX........ in most cases..........when you Auto Noise Cancel.,.,.,.,., and try it several times; you may notice that EQX will pick a DIFFERENT Noise Cancel channel each time. Atmospheric conditions (EMI) is very 'fluid'......and EMI is continuously changing. It seems like you can never find the right (best) Noise Cancel channel.
On Manticore.......... if you tap the Noise Cancel feature.,.,.,.,., you will find nearly the same incursion. BUT...... if you LONG PRESS the Noise Cancel feature.........,,,,,,,,,, you will see a entirely different result. LONG PRESS will seek/find the overall aggregate best Noise Cancel channel....... out of its 19 NC channels.
VERY IMPORTANT!!!
(((This is what will allow you to run Sens even higher.,.,.,.,., and experience a new level of performance ----and yes: At a new depth/layer also. To include: Better/more-accurate ID's...... at depth))).

Different subject:
On a typical ocean beach..... there are 5 distinct sections of a beach:
1. Dry sand
2. Damp sand
3. Wet sand
4. In-the-"splash"
5. IN the water
ALL of which require: Different settings.... in order to maximize finds/performance.

Out-of-time........ but I will explain set-up/config for each of the 5 beach sections..... in the near future.
December 22, 2022 06:03PM
So, it appears if I want to use my ear buds I'm out of luck. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is the back light red? All the testing of the Manicore in iron will be different with a 6" coil. Testing with an 11' is bold but not right approach. Saw some of that today in CD's video using a 6" on the 900 and 11" on the Manicore. Lots of cosmetic things that are pleasing on the core and the weight and balance is great so glad I have some time to see surf videos before I jump. Have some time as 12 on the list but looks like small dealers will be last.
December 22, 2022 06:46PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, it appears if I want to use my ear buds I'm ou
> t of luck. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is the back li
> ght red? All the testing of the Manicore in iron
> will be different with a 6" coil. Testing with an
> 11' is bold but not right approach. Saw some of th
> at today in CD's video using a 6" on the 900 and 1
> 1" on the Manicore. Lots of cosmetic things that a
> re pleasing on the core and the weight and balance
> is great so glad I have some time to see surf vide
> os before I jump. Have some time as 12 on the list
> but looks like small dealers will be last.

The guy using the 900 with the 6 inch coil really tore it up! I was impressed!

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
December 23, 2022 01:19PM
Manticore side by side with the Deus 2 …… on a old park ….spoiler alert …..lots of silver found …….both detectors ID The deep Targets pretty much the same.

deep iron was a challenge for one detector

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2022 02:42PM by Rob in (ca).
December 23, 2022 06:51PM
Seems like iron is a reoccurring theme as a issue for this detector.I think I'm just going to keep swinging my deus 2 for now.which is a shame as I was really excited about this detector but I feel deflated at this point.
December 23, 2022 09:49PM
I suppose the Minelab fanboys can say the guy running the Manticore doesn't know how to run it which has some merit since it just hit the streets but , seems at first blush that Minelab has just about caught up to Deus and their technology. Like Jesse , I'm less and less impressed with every video I see.
December 23, 2022 11:45PM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> Manticore side by side with the Deus 2 …… on a old
> park ….spoiler alert …..lots of silver found …….bo
> th detectors ID The deep Targets pretty much the
> same.
>
> deep iron was a challenge for one detector
>
>
> [youtu.be]

Nice video post Rob!

Anyone notice the Manticore has what appears to be a wired Sunray like inline probe attached?

EDIT: I see they each have the same wired headphones with a probe, nothing to do with Minelab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2022 11:56PM by Cal_cobra.
December 24, 2022 11:52AM
They are using the detectorpro uniprobe. I have the original one and used it for years.
December 25, 2022 12:48AM
I had a couple of them (Uniprobes) years ago.----Didn't like them then & don't like them now.----Just another dangling cord to deal with.
December 25, 2022 04:11PM
shoveler Wrote:
> I suppose the Minelab fanboys can say the guy runn
> ing the Manticore doesn't know how to run it which
> has some merit since it just hit the streets but ,
> seems at first blush that Minelab has just about c
> aught up to Deus and their technology. Like Jesse
> , I'm less and less impressed with every video I s
> ee.

I don't think it makes one a "fanboy" to point out that one of the "nuances" of any machine, that takes a relatively longer time to master, is how to sniff out the subtle "tells" that a machine offers, that help you to discern between deep whispers of a high conductor, and similar, deep high-tone chirps that are iron falses (especially the ones that emanate from bent square nails, etc.)

At risk of apparently sounding like a fanboy, a video that compares an OBVIOUS Deus EXPERT, who clearly has loads of experience, along with a clear intuitive knowledge of his machine, compared to a guy who just got a Manticore, is -- in my opinion -- not even remotely in the realm of a good comparison IN TERMS OF "how many times" one user dug a deep bent nail, versus the other. I didn't finish the video yet, so haven't seen any of these nails that were dug. But, speaking ONLY for myself here, mastering that aspect of ANY machine I've ever used, is one of the skills that takes the most time to hone. Each machine I've used has its "tells," but it takes awhile, and lots of digging, to learn those "tells" well, and develop some "expertise." To imply otherwise, seems odd to me. It doesn't take a "fanboy" to recognize that it takes a substantial investment of time to learn that particular skill, with ANY machine, and even more time to then determine "which machine consistently makes it easier to mentally cull the falses from the deep non-ferrous, while making your 'dig' decision." I 100% expect that at first, I'll be "fooled" by a good many more deep nails that I thought may have had the chance to be a deep silver, than I currently would be with my Equinox...just like what happened when I first got my Equinox, compared to my CTX, etc. etc.

And...along those lines...I don't expect that I'll be able to say "the MC makes it easier for me to mentally filter the falses from the good targets than an Equinox," or that "the CTX works better for me in terms of not digging deep bent nails" or whatever my own personal truth in that regard may end up being, for MANY months of use...

Steve

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2022 04:19PM by steveg.
December 25, 2022 05:03PM
" I suppose the Minelab fanboys can say the guy runn
> ing the Manticore doesn't know how to run it which
> has some merit since it just hit the streets"

Steve , I think we pretty much said the same thing, it just didn't take me 300 words to say it. My point is that just like the Equinox did not make all other detectors "obsolete", Minelab's hype that the Manticore is a two generation leap in detecting technology is not being displayed in this video. Doesn't mean someone else might not verify that claim , just not yet ,if ever.
December 25, 2022 07:17PM
steveg Wrote:
> shoveler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I suppose the Minelab fanboys can say the guy ru
> nn
> > ing the Manticore doesn't know how to run it whi
> ch
> > has some merit since it just hit the streets but
> ,
> > seems at first blush that Minelab has just about
> c
> > aught up to Deus and their technology. Like Jes
> se
> > , I'm less and less impressed with every video I
> s
> > ee.
>
>
> I don't think it makes one a "fanboy" to point out
> that one of the "nuances" of any machine, that tak
> es a relatively longer time to master, is how to s
> niff out the subtle "tells" that a machine offers,
> that help you to discern between deep whispers of
> a high conductor, and similar, deep high-tone chir
> ps that are iron falses (especially the ones that
> emanate from bent square nails, etc.)
>
> At risk of apparently sounding like a fanboy, a vi
> deo that compares an OBVIOUS Deus EXPERT, who clea
> rly has loads of experience, along with a clear in
> tuitive knowledge of his machine, compared to[/
> b] a guy who just got a Manticore, is -- in my opi
> nion -- not even remotely in the realm of a good c
> omparison IN TERMS OF "how many times" one user du
> g a deep bent nail, versus the other. I didn't fi
> nish the video yet, so haven't seen any of these n
> ails that were dug. But, speaking ONLY for myself
> here, mastering that aspect of ANY machine I've ev
> er used, is one of the skills that takes the most
> time to hone. Each machine I've used has its "tel
> ls," but it takes awhile, and lots of digging, to
> learn those "tells" well, and develop some "expert
> ise." To imply otherwise, seems odd to me. It do
> esn't take a "fanboy" to recognize that it takes a
> substantial investment of time to learn that parti
> cular skill, with ANY machine, and even more time
> to then determine "which machine consistently make
> s it easier to mentally cull the falses from the d
> eep non-ferrous, while making your 'dig' decision.
> " I 100% expect that at first, I'll be "fooled" b
> y a good many more deep nails that I thought may h
> ave had the chance to be a deep silver, than I cur
> rently would be with my Equinox...just like what h
> appened when I first got my Equinox, compared to m
> y CTX, etc. etc.
>
> And...along those lines...I don't expect that I'll
> be able to say "the MC makes it easier for me to m
> entally filter the falses from the good targets th
> an an Equinox," or that "the CTX works better for
> me in terms of not digging deep bent nails" or wha
> tever my own personal truth in that regard may end
> up being, for MANY months of use...
>
> Steve

Agreed i hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing anything earth shattering as of yet with the machine so far I really want to be incorrect in this assessment
December 25, 2022 07:31PM
Maybe is just me..... But no matter what machine you run hot in a nail bed you're going to get falsing on deep rusty iron. Usually an edge or end beep. My etrac running high manual sensitivity will find rusty iron at a foot + deep. I think some are asking for miracles and loose sight of just basic logic.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
December 25, 2022 07:41PM
khouse Wrote:
> Maybe is just me..... But no matter what machine y
> ou run hot in a nail bed you're going to get falsi
> ng on deep rusty iron. Usually an edge or end beep
> . My etrac running high manual sensitivity will fi
> nd rusty iron at a foot + deep. I think some are
> asking for miracles and loose sight of just basic
> logic.

This is my view, also. I am of the perspective that I expect any improvements in VLF-IB detector performance at this point to be "incremental." The platform is about "tapped out," in terms of MAJOR improvements, it seems to me, with all of the "low-hanging fruit" already "picked," so to speak. It seems we are at the point where an "engineering marvel," that might be considered a "two-generational leap," might be quite "subtle" to an average user, if what they were expecting were major performance gains.

I fully expect iron falsing with this unit. If I can gain more "certainty," once I learn the machine, such that I can improve (by 20%, or 30%, or whatever) my "suspicion" that what I'm hearing is a "false," and not a "silver coin," I'd consider that as a great improvement, and will then embrace the other improvements that also have been made (EMI handling, etc.)

Steve
December 25, 2022 07:55PM
steveg Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > Maybe is just me..... But no matter what machine
> y
> > ou run hot in a nail bed you're going to get fal
> si
> > ng on deep rusty iron. Usually an edge or end be
> ep
> > . My etrac running high manual sensitivity will
> fi
> > nd rusty iron at a foot + deep. I think some ar
> e
> > asking for miracles and loose sight of just basi
> c
> > logic.
>
>
> This is my view, also. I am of the perspective th
> at I expect any improvements in VLF-IB detector pe
> rformance at this point to be "incremental." The
> platform is about "tapped out," in terms of MAJOR
> improvements, it seems to me, with all of the "low
> -hanging fruit" already "picked," so to speak. It
> seems we are at the point where an "engineering ma
> rvel," that might be considered a "two-generationa
> l leap," might be quite "subtle" to an average use
> r, if what they were expecting were major performa
> nce gains.
>
> I fully expect iron falsing with this unit. If I
> can gain more "certainty," once I learn the machin
> e, such that I can improve (by 20%, or 30%, or wha
> tever) my "suspicion" that what I'm hearing is a "
> false," and not a "silver coin," I'd consider that
> as a great improvement, and will then embrace the
> other improvements that also have been made (EMI h
> andling, etc.)
>
> Steve
Well said. If I can reduce 10% of my can slaw, pull tabs and foil my percentage of finding rings over a years time would be great. Same goes for deep silver. Sure, I would like it to be 100% but that will never happen in my lifetime.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
December 26, 2022 01:46AM
Manticore hunting in a Bed of Nails / Iron …… This Gentleman is not having to much of a problem ID-ing Nails / Iron ?

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 02:26AM by Rob in (ca).
December 26, 2022 03:54AM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------
> -----
. It
> seems we are at the point where an "engineering ma
> rvel," that might be considered a "two-generationa
> l leap," might be quite "subtle" to an average user

Exactly right! We have youtuber testers that now have the machine, that, at best are average in skill level.Therefore they are NOT showing the true capabilities of the MC.

>if what they were expecting were major performa
> nce gains.
>
>
>
> Steve

That's the point. These average youtuber testers are expecting ridiculous, creative and imaginative gains and results. They should come back to earth and realize that the machine wont find it for you, you gotta put the work in!

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
December 26, 2022 10:41AM
About the youtube video that Rob in Ca posted . . . . . . How can one know there is a delay if you don't know the exact location of the nail? I know Minelab's have exacting pinpoint . .but I didn't see him PP the target first. You'd have to test it while seeing the nail. Is he talking length/duration of the signal, maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 10:43AM by ozzie.
December 26, 2022 03:43PM
The EMI mitigation and that little bit of extra punch I've seen is interesting for a beach hunter. Weight, balance, large screen, intuitive menu and new grip arrangement has got me in line. Minelab released just enough to get the videos out there over the holidays. Hope that changes soon. Boat show coming up and I am looking at new electronics and trolling motor. lol
December 26, 2022 04:10PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
>Boat show coming up and I am looking at new electronics and trolling motor. lol

That's where all my extra money went. Two Humminbird Solix units, Mega 360, and an Ultrex trolling motor plus new map card. I do wish now I would have gone with the Garmin or Lowrance trolling motor though. My Ultrex is just a few months old and already has a bad board.
December 26, 2022 04:13PM
ozzie Wrote:
> About the youtube video that Rob in Ca posted . .
> . . . . How can one know there is a delay if you
> don't know the exact location of the nail? I know
> Minelab's have exacting pinpoint . .but I didn't
> see him PP the target first. You'd have to test it
> while seeing the nail. Is he talking length/durati
> on of the signal, maybe?

Ozzie --

First, that was Mark Dayton (if you are talking about the 48-minute Christmas Eve video) -- a really great (and experienced) guy out there in CA. Rob is his friend, I believe...

ANYWAY, I know just what he's talking about, and saw/heard it in his video, but it's HARD to describe. I would not have been able to describe it as he did, as "delay," as I never really "thought" about it. It's just kind of "intuitive" once you've run the EQX long enough. But, now that he called it "delay," I get why he's calling it that. I don't know if you hunt an Equinox, but to describe it in Equinox terms, the EQX (on a reasonably "clean" coin) is very "precise" and "quick" in its audio. Rapid, sharp "preable" ramp-up to the main tone, then a short/tight main tone, and then rapid, sharp "ramp-down" post-amble. Clean, quick, sharp.

On these nails though, they are often "dragged out," so to speak. You start hearing the audio just a fraction of a second "earlier," before the ramp-up to the main tone. And then sweeping back the other direction across the target, same thing. So, the BEGINNINGS of the tone, going either direction, might match up to a "point" on the ground, but if you marked the center of the "main tone," sweeping right, and then again sweeping left, you'd find the "center" of the "peak tone" is maybe "displaced" a bit (side to side) when comparing the "left sweep" and the "right sweep." This is what he's calling a "delay." I don't know if my words are helping or not, but yes, you might call it a bit of a "smeared" signal, in terms of "duration." But, "smeared" is not QUITE the right description. Smeared implies a consistent, steady, but "longer duration" signal. That's not quite it. The "main" part of the signal on either the left or right sweep is not particularly "long" or "smeared." But when including the subtle "ramp-up" part of the signal, it's maybe a bit "smeared." But the key is, it's not happening in exactly the same spot. It's "offset" a tad...if you do a "Minelab wiggle" over the suspected center of the target, and "imagine" where you think the center is, you can sometimes sort of "see" the "offset" on the left sweep, and on the right sweep. Again -- subtle, but it's there...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 04:19PM by steveg.
December 26, 2022 06:30PM
steveg Wrote:
> ozzie Wrote:
> -----
> > About the youtube video that Rob in Ca posted .
> .
> > . . . . How can one know there is a delay if yo
> u
> > don't know the exact location of the nail? I kno
> w
> > Minelab's have exacting pinpoint . .but I didn'
> t
> > see him PP the target first. You'd have to test
> it
> > while seeing the nail. Is he talking length/dura
> ti
> > on of the signal, maybe?
>
>
> Ozzie --
>
> First, that was Mark Dayton (if you are talking ab
> out the 48-minute Christmas Eve video) -- a really
> great (and experienced) guy out there in CA. Rob
> is his friend, I believe...
>
> ANYWAY, I know just what he's talking about, and s
> aw/heard it in his video, but it's HARD to describ
> e. I would not have been able to describe it as h
> e did, as "delay," as I never really "thought" abo
> ut it. It's just kind of "intuitive" once you've
> run the EQX long enough. But, now that he called
> it "delay," I get why he's calling it that. I don
> 't know if you hunt an Equinox, but to describe it
> in Equinox terms, the EQX (on a reasonably "clean"
> coin) is very "precise" and "quick" in its audio.
> Rapid, sharp "preable" ramp-up to the main tone, t
> hen a short/tight main tone, and then rapid, sharp
> "ramp-down" post-amble. Clean, quick, sharp.
>
> On these nails though, they are often "dragged out
> ," so to speak. You start hearing the audio just
> a fraction of a second "earlier," before the ramp-
> up to the main tone. And then sweeping back the o
> ther direction across the target, same thing. So,
> the BEGINNINGS of the tone, going either direction
> , might match up to a "point" on the ground, but i
> f you marked the center of the "main tone,"
> sweeping right, and then again sweeping left, you'
> d find the "center" of the "peak tone" is maybe "d
> isplaced" a bit (side to side) when comparing the
> "left sweep" and the "right sweep." This is what
> he's calling a "delay." I don't know if my words
> are helping or not, but yes, you might call it a b
> it of a "smeared" signal, in terms of "duration."
> But, "smeared" is not QUITE the righ
> t description. Smeared implies a consistent, stea
> dy, but "longer duration" signal. That's not quit
> e it. The "main" part of the signal on either the
> left or right sweep is not particularly "long" or
> "smeared." But when including the subtle "ramp-up
> " part of the signal, it's maybe a bit "smeared."
> But the key is, it's not happening in exactly the
> same spot. It's "offset" a tad...if you do a "Min
> elab wiggle" over the suspected center of the targ
> et, and "imagine" where you think the center is, y
> ou can sometimes sort of "see" the "offset" on the
> left sweep, and on the right sweep. Again -- subt
> le, but it's there...
>
> Steve

Thanks SteveG. The way you described it is the way I know it. The word "delay" threw me off. I do not swing an EQ. I do love the screen on the Manticore much better than the Deus2.It also looks easier to move around on it also. Not sure if I'll ever get a Minelab before I kick . . . it's always in the back of my mind though. Have a great new year, bud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 06:31PM by ozzie.
December 26, 2022 06:56PM
ozzie Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> > ozzie Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > About the youtube video that Rob in Ca posted
> .
> > .
> > > . . . . How can one know there is a delay if
> yo
> > u
> > > don't know the exact location of the nail? I k
> no
> > w
> > > Minelab's have exacting pinpoint . .but I did
> n'
> > t
> > > see him PP the target first. You'd have to tes
> t
> > it
> > > while seeing the nail. Is he talking length/du
> ra
> > ti
> > > on of the signal, maybe?
> >
> >
> > Ozzie --
> >
> > First, that was Mark Dayton (if you are talking
> ab
> > out the 48-minute Christmas Eve video) -- a real
> ly
> > great (and experienced) guy out there in CA. Ro
> b
> > is his friend, I believe...
> >
> > ANYWAY, I know just what he's talking about, and
> s
> > aw/heard it in his video, but it's HARD to descr
> ib
> > e. I would not have been able to describe it as
> h
> > e did, as "delay," as I never really "thought" a
> bo
> > ut it. It's just kind of "intuitive" once you'v
> e
> > run the EQX long enough. But, now that he calle
> d
> > it "delay," I get why he's calling it that. I d
> on
> > 't know if you hunt an Equinox, but to describe
> it
> > in Equinox terms, the EQX (on a reasonably "clea
> n"
> > coin) is very "precise" and "quick" in its audio
> .
> > Rapid, sharp "preable" ramp-up to the main tone,
> t
> > hen a short/tight main tone, and then rapid, sha
> rp
> > "ramp-down" post-amble. Clean, quick, sharp.
> >
> > On these nails though, they are often "dragged o
> ut
> > ," so to speak. You start hearing the audio jus
> t
> > a fraction of a second "earlier," before the ram
> p-
> > up to the main tone. And then sweeping back the
> o
> > ther direction across the target, same thing. S
> o,
> > the BEGINNINGS of the tone, going either directi
> on
> > , might match up to a "point" on the ground, but
> i
> > f you marked the center of the "main tone
> ,"
> > sweeping right, and then again sweeping left, yo
> u'
> > d find the "center" of the "peak tone" is maybe
> "d
> > isplaced" a bit (side to side) when comparing th
> e
> > "left sweep" and the "right sweep." This is wha
> t
> > he's calling a "delay." I don't know if my word
> s
> > are helping or not, but yes, you might call it a
> b
> > it of a "smeared" signal, in terms of "duration.
> "
> > But, "smeared" is not QUITE the ri
> gh
> > t description. Smeared implies a consistent, st
> ea
> > dy, but "longer duration" signal. That's not qu
> it
> > e it. The "main" part of the signal on either t
> he
> > left or right sweep is not particularly "long" o
> r
> > "smeared." But when including the subtle "ramp-
> up
> > " part of the signal, it's maybe a bit "smeared.
> "
> > But the key is, it's not happening in exactly th
> e
> > same spot. It's "offset" a tad...if you do a "M
> in
> > elab wiggle" over the suspected center of the ta
> rg
> > et, and "imagine" where you think the center is,
> y
> > ou can sometimes sort of "see" the "offset" on t
> he
> > left sweep, and on the right sweep. Again -- su
> bt
> > le, but it's there...
> >
> > Steve
>
> Thanks SteveG. The way you described it is the way
> I know it. The word "delay" threw me off. I do not
> swing an EQ. I do love the screen on the Manticore
> much better than the Deus2.It also looks easier to
> move around on it also. Not sure if I'll ever get
> a Minelab before I kick . . . it's always in the b
> ack of my mind though. Have a great new year, bud.

Ozzie -- you too, my friend! smiling smiley

Steve
December 27, 2022 02:58PM
On the topic of the iron falsing videos by Calabash, the main thing that has me scratching my head is that in almost EVERY instance he starts digging a target that he claims to be iron, he never actually pulls the target out of the ground.... I would have liked to have seen what the actual target was that was falsing instead of him just filling the plug back in. At the very least, remove the false or bad target to eliminate one more thing from the site that could be masking good targets! I am not suggesting the issue doesnt exist, but dont contribute to it by leaving the bad target in the ground.
December 27, 2022 03:03PM
You have another movie, not Calabash where you get iron falsing also... Dealy if sound can describe it could be iron - for me is not acceptable. The machine is not suppressed right, you get too much feedback information.
December 27, 2022 03:41PM
What CD digs seems to come out of the side of the hole. All this talk of iron brings back the way the CZ acted on nails in parks.
December 29, 2022 02:31PM
I am just returning from Christmas vacation....... and have lots to catch up on...,,,...,,,... to include: this forum.
A few quick thoughts:

Yes. The Manticore will have software updates........just like EQX had 3 (MUU = Minelab Update Utility) updates through the years.
Manticores backlight is not red. EQX-700/900 backlight is red.

My last 1-1/2 years in Manticore have been exclusively focused on wet-salt......as a Minelab collaborative team effort/intent. Total focus. This is to say: I have not been inland/turf/dirt hunting very much. I am not saying "zero"......... but; am saying: minimal focus. BUT........ I HAVE hunted in carpets of nails with Manticore..... a couple of times. Multiple nails under the coil......at any given second. I am not seeing the nail falsing issue that calabash is seeing/witnessing/experiencing. I will NOT discount calabash's experiences......just because I am not seeing this incursion myself........BECAUSE =
----Florida has tons of rusty nails.----
----calabash has tons of rusty nails AND possible mineralization.----
THIS may be where/why calabash is experiencing nail falsing.
There have been times where....... I would acquire a non-ferrous tone in a carpet of nails (say..... a target ID of about '31')........ and would commence digging. Nail-after-nail-after-nail came out of the hole. I nearly wrote it off as: 'falsing'. Then.......... out pops a non-ferrous target (say) a 00-Buck .33-Cal lead buckshot ball. My first thought was: You dig enough dirt out of the ground....... and you will eventually pull a non-ferrous target out of the ground.........then incorrectly giving 'miracle credit' to the detector. But then....... you pass the lead ball in front of the coil...... and it ID's '31'. Hmmmmmmmmm!
This occurrence would happen time-and-time again.
BUT....... there are indeed times where ONLY nail-after-nail-after-nail would come out of the ground....... and could not find a non-ferrous target.
Soooooooo........... we will indeed look into this.
(((Yes...... a large 11" coil in a carpet-of-nails....... is a exercise in futility! This is also to say: accessory coils to follow...... in the near future))).

Out of time!
December 29, 2022 05:53PM
So the manticore is primarily a beach detector that you can hunt on turf with also????
December 29, 2022 07:48PM
Hi Tom,

I've been using the manticore all week and I had a thought.

would it be possible add a noise cancel tracking option where the manticore will continuously monitor all noise canceling channels while detecting and switch to the quietest automatically?

Or is noise cancelling only possible when the coil is held still above the ground?

Thanks!
December 30, 2022 02:18AM
Jesse......No! I don't mean to imply that the Manticore was exclusively designed as a beach machine........ and ...... secondarily as a 'all others' (general purpose) unit.
BUT........ it has tremendously large/major attributes on the beach.

gts........ auto-tracking Noise Cancel is nearly impossible whilst swinging/sweeping the coil. The dirt, targets and mineralization would look like noise-deltas to the unit. And........ in furtherance...........,,,,,,,,,,,,............ this is exactly 'why' the coil MUST be COMPLETELY STILL......whilst performing any form of Noise Cancel.,.,.,.,.,., with any/all brands of metal detectors.