Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
November 06, 2022 10:47AM
One more thing I am willing to share:

Even though MC is a fair amount more expensive = I will never hunt with EQX ever again.
November 06, 2022 12:43PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more thing I am willing to share:
>
> Even though MC is a fair amount more expensive = I
> will never hunt with EQX ever again.

Very interesting post Tom, looking forward to hear what you have to say when you can.
November 06, 2022 03:25PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
>

Wow.

Steve
November 06, 2022 04:29PM
That's good to hear.
November 06, 2022 05:47PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
>

Tom-----Why not?
November 06, 2022 06:51PM
Thanks for the update Tom D.

I'm looking forward to learning it when it comes out.

Honestly, for me, the Equinox has been such a great performer (game changer for me for sure) if the MC is even better in all aspects, this could get really interesting!
November 06, 2022 07:48PM
Again, Thanks Tom for the regular updates on the Manticore; I placed the pre-order as soon as it was announced, and the more I hear from yourself the more I am vilified in my decision. I've been running the Equinox 800 since first release and normally operate All Metal, Fe-0,F2-0, Field 1 or 2, 50 tones. Been fortunate to locate a number of artefacts from Bronze age onwards over here in the Scottish Highlands; we have a lot of background iron in our soils from literally thousands of years of habitation therefore will be interested in understanding how the manticore may improve in terms of identifying older iron as well as object separation. I plan to take a one month vacation once the Manticore is available and revisit some previous permissions that have successfully given up a number of hammered coinage in the past.
Thanks again,
Allan
November 07, 2022 02:15AM
We will most likely start seeing some videos shortly.
November 07, 2022 05:54PM
Elbert Wrote:
> We will most likely start seeing some videos short
> ly.

Are they releasing in November / Or no?
November 07, 2022 07:55PM
If I were a betting man, I would say it won't come out any sooner than February. About the same time as the Equinox did. I too will never swing an Equinox again Tom! I sold mine 6 months after they came out and haven't missed it at all.
November 08, 2022 12:28AM
Allan ...... I would love for you to try (somehow....without cost)..... in YOUR soil...... YOUR conditions the:
1. Manticore
2. Tarsacci
3. XP Deus-2

Del......... It is a genuine 2-Generations leap in technological advancement.
November 08, 2022 09:06PM
Tom,
I can certainly arrange to compare the Manticore with the Deus II; Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Tarsacci detector. My plan is to detect a specified area on a known Jacobite period (1745ish) permission, that has also relinquished a hammered coin (1594 Elizabeth I). This soil type provides an almost constant iron grunt in All Metal, and in several areas (close by electrical pylons) requires selection of 15khz single frequency in order to detect. Always tough going, however many historically interesting artefacts continue to be unearthed.
I will be only too happy to provide any relevant data to this group, as I fully appreciate all of the technical information provided on this particular forum.
Allan
November 09, 2022 10:08AM
I'm working with DEUS II and Tarsacci MDT in the same spot - for the last five months. MDT is deeper (little coin from 50 cm from the iron) but target locking and ID are better for XP.

You also don't dig too much foil and hot rocks and are quiet in iron.

For me second metal detector is for difficult places to finish it. For recon DEUS II is ok.
November 09, 2022 10:28PM
Shelton...... that sounds like a correct outcome/experience. Tarsacci is substantially deeper; yet, has about 70% ID abilities as a VLF type unit. Deus-2 much less depth; yet, nearly hair-splitting ID accuracy.
November 18, 2022 12:53PM
Anyone care to guess what the four beach modes will be? Two for salt and two for fresh or something more ?

Regards
November 18, 2022 02:25PM
A lower-freq bias for high-conductor targets ( similar to Eqx Park1/Field1); a higher-freq bias for low conductors ( like Park2/Field2 )
Combined with:
Wet salt sand; Dry sand / freshwater sand.
That would give my 4 combinations. The 'Dry sand' mode would have higher gain/sensitivity than regular 'Land' modes.

Edit : well .. it was just a guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2022 09:41PM by Pimento.
November 18, 2022 04:08PM
ALL the Beach Modes is wet-salt compatible.
On the EQX..... Beach Mode-2 is MOST suited for IN the water.
On the EQX..... Beach Mode-1 is best suited for the wet-slope.,.,.,.,., AND being more sensitive/resonant to lower conductors (gold jewelry).
If you are a dry-sand hunter...... do NOT use a Beach Mode on ANY unit...... for the dry-sand. On the EQX, XP-Deus-2, Legend, Manticore....... come OUT of the beach Mode......and use a MUCH more sensitive Mode for dry sand.

More MC data that I am willing to share:
Wireless/bluetooth headphones are very comfortable..... and ride OVER the ears (not crushing your ears into your skull).
I am sensing zero latency with these new wireless phones. And....... they are LOUD! (Turn down the Volume).
November 18, 2022 06:38PM
With the Equinox I always hunted with the horseshoe on listening to everything. There wasn't that many numbers to notch out due to a somewhat compressed I.D. scheme so I didn't.. Can you talk about if the expanded I.D. segments allow for more precise notching of certain junk targets. How do you feel about running a pattern with the Manticore, and are you? You know the only issue I ever had with the Equinox was EMI. They erected a cell tower adjacent to one of my best sites for old coins now I have to run sensitivity on 12-15 just to hunt there. It's not just there either. It's a real problem I see everywhere. I've seen EMI so bad you just can't even hunt regardless how much you lower the sensitivity. I'm hoping the Manticore has better EMI immunity than the Equinox has. I got a preorder in really early and hope I will get mine on first shipment. The wait is driving me nuts. I sure wish Minelab would get the user manual online so I can at least start studying it.
November 19, 2022 01:19AM
You have the same 'horseshoe' availability/functionality on MC.

Yes.... you can 'notch' a tighter window of target ID's with MC. BUT....... I strongly recommend NOT notching anything anyway.,.,.,.,.,. and becoming more reliant upon 'audio'. This holds true with any form of metal detecting. (((Yes. There can be extenuating circumstances whereby 'Notch' may keep you in the game))).

Yes.... MC is better at handling EMI.
November 19, 2022 11:30PM
NASA-Tom, would you say that the Manticore”s ability to handle EMI is better than the Deus 2 and other competitors?
November 20, 2022 01:19AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> ALL the Beach Modes is wet-salt compatible.
> On the EQX..... Beach Mode-2 is MOST suited for IN
> the water.
> On the EQX..... Beach Mode-1 is best suited for th
> e wet-slope.,.,.,.,., AND being more sensitive/res
> onant to lower conductors (gold jewelry).
> If you are a dry-sand hunter...... do NOT use a Be
> ach Mode on ANY unit...... for the dry-sand. On th
> e EQX, XP-Deus-2, Legend, Manticore....... come OU
> T of the beach Mode......and use a MUCH more sensi
> tive Mode for dry sand.
>
> More MC data that I am willing to share:
> Wireless/bluetooth headphones are very comfortable
> ..... and ride OVER the ears (not crushing your ea
> rs into your skull).
> I am sensing zero latency with these new wireless
> phones. And....... they are LOUD! (Turn down the V
> olume).

Well, maybe no. You will not always able to run an Equinox on a wet slope in "1". It will be location dependent.
November 23, 2022 10:21PM
I sure hope Tom can start spilling the beans about the Manticore come next Thursday Dec. 1st..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2022 10:22PM by thetacritical.
November 24, 2022 12:34PM
That teaser video threw me off. They wrote it as 1-12-22 which to me, meant Jan 12, 2022 which has came and gone. But I guess to the rest of the world, that means Dec 1, 2022. Anyway...supposed to be something announced as coming in twos on Dec 1st.
November 24, 2022 05:05PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> That teaser video threw me off. They wrote it as
> 1-12-22 which to me, meant Jan 12, 2022 which has
> came and gone. But I guess to the rest of the wor
> ld, that means Dec 1, 2022. Anyway...supposed to
> be something announced as coming in twos on Dec 1s
> t.

i saw that too. Could it be the equinox is getting freshened up as well with the new multi-iq 2? or is the gold monster finally getting an update? would minelab revamp their excalibur ?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 25, 2022 03:35PM
Gonebeepin' = winking smiley
November 26, 2022 08:42PM
I saw the teaser Video also about Dec 1st.

Hope it's a updated lightweight Sovereign/Excalibur.

Still the best machine ever made for hunting in big iron looking for large high conductors.

Guess we will know in a couple more days.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 26, 2022 11:52PM
The Sovereign was an incredible detector.
November 27, 2022 11:58AM
Manticore field test by Prospector Paul

“Only Manticore in North America” (at time of filming I guess)

[youtu.be]

Brings up a couple questions, vid mentions GB as tracking or manual. Is there still an automatic ground balance?
In the video, with the three targets close together, there did not seem to be any coil edge detection like the NOX (at least in beach mode which I use 90% of the time)
November 28, 2022 12:09AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
November 28, 2022 12:29AM
Tom, Why are you not allowed to talk about Manticore, yet, Minelab Debbie can post a 20 minute VIDEO all about the Manticore?