Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm getting in the mood to buy a new unit

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm getting in the mood to buy a new unit
February 29, 2012 09:19PM
I want to rule out the ones that I have or had: Minelab Etrac, Teknetics G2 and Omega 8000, Fisher F75SE, Garrett AT Pro and ACE250. I want a detector that will hit deep in my red Tennessee dirt. None of the above mentioned detectors, with the possible exception of the AT Pro, will detect a coin near the air test standard of each unit. For instance with both F75SE's that I have had, I have a dime buried at exactly 9 inches and they tell me that it's iron. Same with the rest of the units. The AT Pro does a better job of detecting that coin but in dry ground, a very weak hi tone. Now, the F75SE will air test that same silver dime at 13 inches and that's not even swinging the dime hard. It sounds off good on it!!! I am impressed at it's ait test depth! But my soil seems to block the signal.
When I had my Etrac, I thought OH BOY!!!!!! deep coins in my test garden, here we come!!! But the same deal with it. I could not hit a silver quarter buried at 8 inches with it!!!!! If I remember correctly though, it air tested good.'
So, have I pretty much ran through the best detectors for Tennessee soil??????
Re: I'm getting in the mood to buy a new unit
February 29, 2012 09:37PM
How about a Whites PI unit? That should give you something to play around with for a while. Maybe that Blisstool detector. I would love to see an American field test.
February 29, 2012 09:44PM
Kevin,

You are in the same boat as the rest of the world.
February 29, 2012 09:44PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a Whites PI unit? That should give you
> something to play around with for a while. Maybe
> that Blisstool detector. I would love to see an
> American field test.

I will price some of thos PI units. I have zero places to hunt that are NOT full of nails. It's just a fact of life. Plus the dirt mineralization.
I just went outside and did a head to head with my Omega 8000 and my AT Pro with stock DD coil. The AT Pro whipped the Omegas britches! The Omega was not able to indicate a 9 inch quarter or dime using the concentric coil. The AT Pro hit everything in my garden today. It just got through raining. It hit the 9 inch stuff with sufficient force that I would not think twice about digging it. It wasn't repeatable hi tones. It was hi tone/ mid-tone back and forth. My confidence in my AT Pro in this funky dirt is really high.
What about the AT Gold???? What is the difference between it and a AT Pro?????????
February 29, 2012 10:12PM
"You are in the same boat as the rest of the world. "

I have the AT Pro. I mostly coin hunt here in PA. I also wanted to try another detector. But it had to be a step worth taking from the AT Pro. So I bought the E Trac. The Jury is still out and will be for most of this year. I have to balance my hobby with work and such. But as I was making my decision on the E Trac I was wishing for something new and with something innovating. You made me laugh with that quote Tom. It seems I'm not alone.

I really feel like I do have two good detectors. I need to put time into finding good sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 10:13PM by goodmore.
February 29, 2012 10:53PM
Maybe you need wait a bit, if there is any truth to what I read in another forum today. Tom can you elaborate ?

"I'm not sure if you all have heard about the new CZ that will hopefully be released late this year or there abouts. It isn't advertised and it's better I don't say who said it, but it comes from a reliable person and I don't think it's actually a big secret per say.

Anyway, I wonder what you CZ users are looking forward to seeing. I bet they still might make some changes so now might be the time to let them know. I am currently using an E-Trac and would love a lighter unit that cuts into iron mineralized ground as well.

The one thing I really hope they do is make it work outside of the US market, meaning not high toning in the Nickel range (just have a Neutral or Foreign coin mode).

Hopefully the weight is down, great backlight and some form of detailed VID or 2D screen would be nice, if not a patent issue".

Looking forward Fisher,
Albert in Germany
February 29, 2012 11:13PM
Have you read these 'New Fisher machine' threads, Albert?
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 01:41AM by Pimento.
February 29, 2012 11:31PM
There's not much out there right now that CAN handle that kind of dirt in the VLF realm. Trust me, I've already spent a few thousand dollars trying them, and inviting people up to test them.

There are a few VLFs that done decent here, and you've already had a couple of those. Then the PI machines that really excel in it. The only one that can handle your nail sites would be the GPX.
March 01, 2012 12:03AM
Gee those Southern gentleman prefer Nautilus for tough Southern ground...unfortunately here up North one of the few I have never used....
March 01, 2012 01:33AM
Am I missing something here?
Where did you guys get the idea that Fisher is coming out with a new CZ?
March 01, 2012 02:01AM
I am thinking Blisstool also.........but only if the dealer will offer you a full money back guarantee if it doesn't 'fully' perform to its stated abilities. If its as good as Blisstool dealers are touting, then they should have no issue with full refund. If its as good as they say and it gets favorable reviews from you (an experienced detectorist) here, they will be most likely be getting new orders from forum members.
March 01, 2012 02:03AM
Pimento Wrote:
> Have you read these 'New Fisher machine' threads,
> Albert?
> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
> .php?2,22999
> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]
> .php?2,22311

I don't understand, I posted in that second thread.

Dave J. just posted some interesting comments in that thread on Finds regarding new units (CZ forum).
March 01, 2012 02:19AM
Albert please post the link to that Dave J. thread.

Thanks
March 01, 2012 02:26AM
[www.findmall.com]

I couldn't believe no one had started a thread there about this yet. I searched, found nothing, posted, and Dave jumped in. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 02:33AM by earthmansurfer.
March 01, 2012 02:56AM
Nautilus machines only get good raves in the sandy east coast soils....not the loam and clays of the mid south. I've had the IIb and IIba...from the 6" coil to the 15" coil. In our pockets of good ground they do okay...no doubt in sandy lowcountry soil they probably rock...but in our bad soil places, everything still beyond X amount of depth will read as iron and you're forced to dig everything if you want to dig much.

Ironically, one of the more popular machines in the red dirt of VA was and is the Whites 5900 platform...aka the Blue & Grey Pro....til the PI machines came along, that's what most people were still using and were swearing they'd never part with.
March 01, 2012 03:13AM
Thanks Albert.

Sorry guys, Im seeing it for what it is....a rumor.
I cant ever see FTP ever producing a anolog machine again simply because they are to expensive to make. The profit margin are way higher with the digital F series platforms and they do not have the calibration issues with them either.

What really surprises me is that they still make the 3D in view of all the quality control issues that have continued to plaque them.
March 01, 2012 03:14AM
Daniel, I learned on a Nautilus IIb here in the iron mineralized ground of Germany. I dug so much to learn that machine and never dug a coin deeper than 5" or 6". Some of that was due to my inexperience for sure, but I had the machine for years and picked up on it quickly. I gained more experience with my next machines, in order, T2, Omega, V3i and then E-Trac. The depth kept increasing, though on coins the Omega and V3i gave similar results in this ground.
March 01, 2012 03:16AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Thanks Albert.
>
> Sorry guys, Im seeing it for what it is....a
> rumor.
> I cant ever see FTP ever producing a anolog
> machine again simply because they are to expensive
> to make. The profit margin are way higher with the
> digital F series platforms and they do not have
> the calibration issues with them either.
>
> What really surprises me is that they still make
> the 3D in view of all the quality control issues
> that have continued to plaque them.

Who said anything about an analog machine? Interesting idea though. And to call it a rumor is a bit of a reach. Tom mentioned it first and Dave sure isn't denying it. I think the writing is on the wall, and my back wants a lighter machine than my E-Trac.
March 01, 2012 03:24AM
Kevin,

Not sure if you ever considered a Garrett Infinium LS. It has a ground balancing feature and is known to be a good unit in tough soil. I have one but only use it for beach hunting but it has become my number one PI unit for getting gold jewelry in the wet, salt sand. I run one with the 10x14 mono but that is because it's on a beach.

Putting the 8 inch mono on that unit and testing out what some of the good targets you are after hit as ( either a hi/lo or lo/hi tone ), and then only digging that tone, may help in cutting down on the number of nails you will hit being it's a PI.

I wish I still had my back up unit because if I did, I would have lent it to you. I ended up selling it since it was overkill having 2 of them.
March 01, 2012 03:47AM
Well if it isn't a anolog machine than how can you call it a CZ then? All were anolog except the 7a & the 70Pro.
If it was anything other than that I don't think it could really be called a real CZ....
Not trying to argue, only trying understand this issue better.
March 01, 2012 04:52AM
Thanks "TheRover61". Yes, I watched nuggetnoggin use his over on youtube. I asked him about using it in thick iron and he said that it wouldn't be his first choice in squarte nail beds. But yes, I have thought about the infinium. I have never owned a pulse induction machine. I may get one. Thanks for the reply and I appreciate all the other replies as well. Kevin
March 01, 2012 05:01AM
Hey fellow detectorists, how come I have not heard a word about Minelabs simple beep and go machine; the Musky Advantage.With that single freq of 5 it is a killer on high conductor targets and no slouch on nickles.I remember just a few years back guys were talking about how they are such depth monsters and that when being used in highly mineralized soil they performed wonderfully against other big guns that couldnt handle the soil.Also they do work very well in heavy nails.They have a quick recovery circuit.Unfortunetely I believe they dont make these anymore.Do a search on the advantage and you will find raving views on such a simple beep tector.Steve
March 01, 2012 05:33AM
Kevin B try to omega-nel coil detects the coin you at these depths without a problem
March 01, 2012 08:02AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Well if it isn't a anolog machine than how can you
> call it a CZ then? All were anolog except the 7a &
> the 70Pro.
> If it was anything other than that I don't think
> it could really be called a real CZ....
> Not trying to argue, only trying understand this
> issue better.

I wasn't arguing, I have never used a CZ and didn't know they were all analog. (This is a message board and disagreeing or discussing I think is a part of it. As long as it is to improve our understanding, all is good. ) I thought the new ones weren't analog as Tom said you can't really do any adjustments in them (CZ3D) to adjust them like the older ones. If I was wrong then I just learned. I just thought CZ stood for "Coin Zapper" :-)

To me, I just thought a CZ meant more that it was a two frequency detector than analog. Anyone?
March 01, 2012 09:39AM
Apologies for the confusion earlier, my links were aimed at "Beach" in the preceeding post. But he appeared to sign himself as Albert. I now realise that "Albert" is "Earthmansurfer" and "Beach" had his quote marks in the wrong place.
March 01, 2012 01:55PM
Albert, I wasn't accusing you of argueing. As I had said I'm just trying to understand where the proof/reasoning is coming from regarding this CZ issue.
Thank you for your ongoing educational contributions.

Aaron
March 01, 2012 03:11PM
Dave J.'s comments in that findmall thread were very, very interesting, particularly his comments regarding the development of "new approaches to displaying the character of the target..."

He did a great job with the Gold Bug Pro/G2; he's big on "ergonomics," and if this upcoming multi-frequency machine he's working on "improves upon" current Fisher units, including the CZs, the GB Pro/G2, and the F75/T2...then wow...this unit should be, well, quite interesting, to say the least...

Steve
March 01, 2012 03:44PM
Relative Nautilus I spoke to Jerry Tyndal years ago and understand he can tune them for various areas...Again never used one and our area is Explorer country for deep silver, honestly as well as I have done with a CZ not many CZ users in my area....Different strokes for different folks and whatever works....
March 02, 2012 02:52AM
glasartisan Wrote:
> Hey fellow detectorists, how come I have not heard
> a word about Minelabs simple beep and go machine;
> the Musky Advantage.With that single freq of 5 it
> is a killer on high conductor targets and no
> slouch on nickles.I remember just a few years back
> guys were talking about how they are such depth
> monsters and that when being used in highly
> mineralized soil they performed wonderfully
> against other big guns that couldnt handle the
> soil.Also they do work very well in heavy
> nails.They have a quick recovery
> circuit.Unfortunetely I believe they dont make
> these anymore.Do a search on the advantage and you
> will find raving views on such a simple beep
> tector.Steve

All the info on the Musky is here
[groups.yahoo.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 02, 2012 03:27AM
Tom sum's it up nicely.....There's no secret weapom for bad dirt......

Lot's of sweat ....Lots of dirt moving...

Keith