Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP DEUS - Real World field-test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: XP DEUS - Real World field-test
January 13, 2015 12:20PM
Go-rebels quote; Has anyone ever found a half dollar dated 1995-2014?

No I have not..... but I'm not a clad hunter.
January 22, 2015 01:09AM
Hi Tom,
(Please Note: I was using the Deus on Saturday (1/17/15) with the 9" coil and the same 18 kHz, Reactivity 2, Silencer -1, Disc 5 'TnSharp' program but I had the Sensitvity set at 97).

On Saturday morning I re-hunted a yard with the Deus in 18 kHz using the 9" coil. I originally hunted this yard several weeks ago with the 11" coil / 12 kHz setup and it yielded 9 silver coins and multiple other good targets on the first hunt. Eight or nine pumps of the coil registered a  Mineralization Meter reading of approx. 70%. Both the front yard and back yard had some 1" square nails lying about but it was NOT a nail infested site. Of the coins pictured I am certain 12 kHz / 11" coil missed only the Barber dime and one of the Buffs: I hunted that small area they came from hard the first time. The Buff was 5" deep and somewhat on edge in the sidewall. The Barber was only 3-4" deep but had a large piece of iron in close proximity. I believe the 11" coil size was a contributing factor in my missing the Barber on my first hunt. It was difficult for me to isolate the Barber; I only had a clean audio signal one way even with the 9" coil.

I assumed this yard would have a bunch of coins still in it, left behind by me and the 11" coil / 12 kHz setup but that was not the case. This yard did not have many nails so 12 kHz paired with the 11" coil did a really good job on the first hunt, leaving only two coins behind (Pictured, the Buff on the left [second row] & Barber).

The major lesson I've learned over the last month is when hunting a 'carpet of nails' environment I will use only the 9" coil and 18 kHz frequency. Thanks for the free tutoring NASA-Tom & Sharpshooter!

Duke

Note: The other coins & 10k RGP ring pictured were recovered later in the day, from another new yard.

January 23, 2015 10:17AM
You are correct in your experience about nail infested sites coupled with 18-Khz & 9" coil being the best combo...... and by a large margin.

If the dirt is nearly trash-free......... yes, the other freqs and different coil sizes will see minimal differential........... if compared to 18-Khz & 9" coil.
January 25, 2015 02:41AM
There's been a lot of buzz/hunger for a small coil (approx 5") for the DEUS. The (expected) performance of the DEUS with a small coil will be identical to the performance of the XP GMP that does indeed have a small coil. Separation is enhanced; yet, there is an unusual amount of depth loss. You can read the exact findings in the XP GMP Field Test thread. Strongly recommended.......... for those who strongly desire a small coil for the DEUS.
April 15, 2015 02:05AM
With the cacophony surrounding the Racer's introduction abating somewhat I felt it was a good time for a Deus post. The Deus is still a mighty fine choice around these old iron infested homesites that I frequent, especially when outfitted with the 9" coil and running in 18 kHz.

Work and weather conspired to keep me indoors nearly all of February and part of March; I have hunted only three weekends in the last two months. This report covers the first of these three weekend hunts. I was searching two small adjoining front yards up on the VA / TN border. The soil was mineralized, registering 50-60% of max. on the Deus Mineralization Meter with 8 pumps of the coil. Everything shown in the first photo came out of the two small front yards except for the pewter flat button and two grayish wheats on the right; these three targets came from a 200 acre, nineteenth century estate that I visited for two hours the following morning. Overall, It was a successful weekend as I ended up recovering 6 silvers, 17 wheats, a flat button and some clad.

I would like to close this post with a few thoughts on my Deus settings. Let me begin by saying that I have been hunting with the Iron Volume ON for the last several months. The more iron I hear, the better my results. Since late January I've had the Disc set at 4.8. The lower I've taken the Disc setting, the better my results. In the areas with bad soil there is little if any increase in detection depth when I've taken the Disc lower than 4.5. I have tested this on both in-ground targets and in my test garden. Finally, other than one hour on my NASA-Tom tuned CZ in July of last year, I have not hunted one minute with any other machine since getting my Deus 9 months ago. Given my lack of experience I believe there was an advantage to be gained by sticking with one detector and really learning the nuances of that particular unit. Thanks for reading & HH.
Duke

April 15, 2015 11:42AM
Wow! Congrat's! This learned skillset will put you leaps-and-bounds ahead with each successive hunt.
April 16, 2015 06:58PM
Great digs....

The DEUS allows you to hone your hearing like no other in the digital world....and control the parameters like no other..

the 9 inch coil on the DEUS is in a world by itself in unmasking ..

once your learn all the nuances its amazing whats still in the iron trash...it may be a pop or a squeal high tone on top of a barrage of low grunts or barely a pip of a high tone inside non stopping grounts but its still a report..you can push the machine as far as you want to go!you have to learn the noise to take it further than any other unit..

to date I have never seen another unit unmask in iron and or trash like the DEUS does Tonaly..

Good for you ...looks like you have the audio in hand!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 16, 2015 07:09PM
Is the 9" coil a better choice for an all around coil? Or is the 11" ? Im thinking of buying one soon
April 16, 2015 07:26PM
If you can only have one coil make it the 9"..

the strength of the DEUS is unlocking trash... so the 9 will serve you better ..

the 11 is deeper but not by much maybe 1.5 inches.. but it does not unmask like the 9 ...

if they build a 5 inch for DEUS Id then have to have a 9 and 5 but I dont have to have a 9 and 11...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 12:31AM by Keith Southern.
April 16, 2015 07:29PM
Thanks. Sounds like a plan
April 16, 2015 08:59PM
This is what I'm curious about, wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

I'd like Tom to test a quarter on edge, all directions, should be world changing stuff right there!
April 17, 2015 12:25PM
Thanks Tom for your encouraging post. Always appreciated.

Keith: Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I completely agree with your comments. If I could only have one coil to hunt with around these old homesites it would be the 9". Even though the 11" coil is deeper, I've recovered many more good targets with the smaller coil.

GL & HH,
Duke
May 03, 2015 02:17AM
Hi Tom,
I was hoping to make it a full year of hunting with the Deus only. But after 10 months, curiosity got the best of me. Last week I received my new Racer Pro Pack. I will be taking the Racer and small coil into some of those nail infested areas that I've already hunted with the Deus. I will let you know how it goes.

As discussed, I've included a picture of the 86 silver coins I've recovered over the last 10 months while using ONLY the Deus, along with a pic of some of my other Deus finds. Thanks again for steering me to the Deus; I have had a great time with that machine. I suspect it will remain my #1 'GoTo' detector for a long time. Best of luck to you.

Duke

May 03, 2015 02:28AM
I'm certain you will keep the Deus for 'carpets of nails' hunting. This is it's #1 niche.
October 28, 2015 03:34PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MY GUT (speculation)
>
> I truly believe the DEUS platform, coil and other
> parameters are designed around the 18-Khz
> frequency. This is 'primary' frequency.
> Then.......... other frequencies that would
> (secondarily) work around the existing 18-Khz
> coil/platform......... were added.
>
> I say this because............ there should be a
> bit greater performance delta/differential
> with/between the other frequencies.
>
> Said differently: If the DEUS were designed as a
> 4-Khz detector, coil and
> electronics............................. then
> ................................... a few other
> frequency options (8-Khz, 12-Khz, 18-Khz) were
> added... that would secondarily work with that
> 4-Khz coil................. you may see the unit
> perform a bit better with the 4-Khz frequency
> (and............... subsequently............. the
> same "less delta/differential" with/between the
> other frequencies). I believe the unit would then
> become 'deeper' on high-conductor silver & copper
> coins.
>
> Just a passing thought.

Tom, is this ( > I truly believe the DEUS platform, coil and other
> parameters are designed around the 18-Khz
> frequency. This is 'primary' frequency.) based on your inert Florida dirt or overall performance at your hunt sites? Or do you have electronic information?
October 28, 2015 11:04PM
A wealth/over-abundance on in-field electronic resultant(s); yes, in Florida dirt. The responses in nearly all applications were 'complete resonance' on 18-Khz.
I did not O-Scope/bench test the sealed (microprocessor) electronics.
November 01, 2015 05:57PM
I feel I have errored. Some of my DEUS data is randomly scattered in other threads....................... and ......................... a fair amount of the DEUS data is collectively homogenized in the thread: XP GMP - Real World Field Test.
November 02, 2015 12:18AM
I am a fan of the DFX as well with dual tone ,I own the v3i now and on 3 frequency it's great to see which frequency is the strongest in the ground you are hunting using the probe capabilities and testing for emi. I dug a half dollar .40 today on iron on 2.5 kHz at 10.5 inches. The polar plot tells a lot as well, one of the main things for detecting the tone of deep targets I have found is the modulation when pinpointing. Also having multiple filters available helps as well.
C
February 06, 2016 04:02AM
NASA Tom,,

Have you compared Xp Gold max power to Deus--- with version Deus 3.2 and full tones, 0 disc?????

In the separation unmasking depts.....
February 07, 2016 01:27PM
tnss ......... It's been several years since my testing of the Deus........ and I do not recall a mode/option called: 'full tones'. . . . . . however, I tried every mode/option available on the unit to verify if I could find any other user/operator setting that would give yet another slight edge over other modes....... especially where the Deus' niche resides......... which is 'unmasking in carpets of nails'. Since discovering the XP GMP possessed a very slight audible edge in unmasking (over the Deus)..... I put all focus/effort into the XP GMP....... and made the decision... that I had no need for a Deus if I already have a GMP. To this day....... I still use the GMP as my 'primary' unit for carpets of nails. ((( I may then proceed to use a Fors Gold + and F75 LTD w/5" coil behind the GMP...... to see if these two units will unmask a few more non-ferrous items that the GMP may not see....... but only if the site is deemed 'exceptionally significant' )))
April 05, 2016 01:33AM
Recur thought............... and multiple times.

With all of my test-data/results from the Deus expressing best performance on 18-Khz........... and my (primary) speculation/gut leaning towards the coil being resonant on 18-Khz to quantify/justify this resultant..............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..................... leads me to wonder if a 4-Khz SPECIFIC/DEDICATED FREQUENCY coil could be developed for the Deus.

This is also to say....................... I am quite apprehensive about so-called "multi-freq" units........ that are (in actuality) ..... single freq units.....that have single-freq selections for user/operator selection. ie 4KHz, 8KHz, 12KHz, 18KHz. You can only select ONE freq at a time........... hence, a single freq unit................. with a'compromise' of "general purpose" frequency coil. A "specific dedicated frequency" coil should pique the performance of the detector.......for each individual frequency.

"Frequency Selection" units differ dramatically from "Simultaneous Frequency" platforms.
April 05, 2016 01:59AM
Tom I almost feel on the DEUS that the Coil is not quite on 18Khz..but maybe on 12 or even somewhere else..

Seems the GMP coil is more ALIGNED to the FREQ of 18 than the DEUS when on 18.

But yes goes to show manipulated freqs are not quite the same as standalone..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 05, 2016 02:20AM
Tom,,

Would a test of a XP Gmaxx 2,,, actually be beneficial in proving what you suspect....I think it is a 4.6 kHz unit.

And maybe comparing to Xp Deus..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 02:22AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 05, 2016 10:59AM
tnss........ A GMaxx2 would partially prove this quest/question. But................. what might really help is: Could/Would the GMaxx2 4-KHz coil fit/work on the Deus.................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................................. seeking 2 tests/answers:

* Would the Deus then perform better on it's 4-KHz option
and
* Would the Deus then perform less on 18 KHz option

These two answers would be 'telling' ...... with a 4 KHz coil installed.

I'm merely concerned that we have a 'specific purpose' Deus.................. with a 'general purpose' coil.

-------------------------------------------------------

Is there a unit on the market that......................... changing the coil....is what authorizes a frequency change of the unit. The answer is: YES.Then..................... "WHY". ((( It's a Minelab unit. ))) This engineering-concept/condition is 'telling'.
August 28, 2022 01:01PM
Four folks (forum members) requested this thread 'bump'.