Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whats your favorite coin find and why

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whats your favorite coin find and why
January 29, 2013 02:18AM
I relic hunt religiously but I come across coins every now and then....

And While I have my favorite relics..theres alway's a few coin's I keep on my wish list....

I have found alot of those over the years like reale's...3 center's 2 center,flying eagle's,seated liberty's., standing liberty's,half's..King George's,Big penny's and thing's like that....and they are all fun to dig especially the civil war era and before date's....

But I have yet to join the Gold Coin club...maybe never will?

But I found a coin a few years back.I had wanted since a I was a little boy....And to beat it all I found it out scouting fro civil war sites one day with a buddy of mine...

We were riding 4 wheeler's in a logging area...I happened to catch glimpse of a foundation rock lying next to the road...So stopped and got off and turned on my detector and sure enough a house place had been cut through....

It was on a civil war battlefield...and the Relics in the ground were racing through my mine.....first signal was a Civil war bullet...I thought o'yeah here we go...

Next signal was loud and clear and pegged my I.D. meter out at 36 on my I.D. Edge Fisher...I knew that's were large silver hit's...but I thought belt Buckle in my mind....I chopped me a plug out of the summer time hard red clay and scanned the red ball of clay lying on the ground beside the hole...the target was in the baseball size clump....I said well a little small for a buckle...So I picked it up and started breaking it open and the first crack a part of the red clay time capsule revealed the reeded edge....and I saw that it was Huge..way bigger than a .50 cent piece...well it must of took me a full minute to open the clod because I knew then and there it was dollar....So what's going through my mind then....a Seated Liberty dollar 1861 or something I was thinking...I was actually shaking from excitement...I broke open the the encapsulated treasure and I was looking at the back of it with the eagle staring back...and I was thinking what's on the back of a seated liberty whats on the back of a seated liberty dollar...I pried the face out of the clod it was still stuck in and saw the liberty head and Knew it was a Morgan....I actually went sad for a minute then I went right back to enjoyment....I had found a item I had been after most of my life...I could not hunt after that...I looked for more and returned a few times since but no Cache as I was thinking...Just single loan Silver Dollar lying there for over a century alone...Or maybe theres some more there....I will hunt it hard again in the future the cache could be way deep in the dirt and this one just happened to get to the top through the logging....Still dreaming lol!!

Well I may never get a Gold Coin...But I never thought I would get a Silver Dollar either...So you never Know where and when they will pop up but the suprise of when it happens it priceless...I could never in my lifetime part with such a simple treasure...

I know its not my most historic coin or my greatest find monetary wise..Heck its probably not worth a whole lot..but to be it's irreplaceable...

any one else have a coin that excites you, I would like to hear about it...

I choose coins for the topic since more folks here seem to be into coin's...and coins seem to appeal to all detectorist...

Most have already seen it but here it is...

Now yall show me your gold coin's so I can dream about them...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 02:47AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Whats your favorite coin find and why
January 29, 2013 02:30AM
Keith like you I have not found the coin that I would like to. But the one that means the most, I found my first year using a Compass XP Pro detector. Really did not know as much about detecting but this find
gave me the fever to learn and find more.

1914D wheat penny

Tom in SC
January 29, 2013 02:36AM
Great story and find Keith.

I have yet to find a silver dollar, let alone gold coin, however my favorite coin is my 1853 3 cent Trime. I was out with my V3 in a very old park and for some reason I decided to dig iffy signals. The Trime was bouncing and was reading around the hi pull tab range but decided to dig anyway. It ended up being down around 5", and funny thing is when I finally got it uncovered I had started to think it was play money as it was my first (and only!). When I saw the date I just couldn't believe it.
It's my favorite coin.
January 29, 2013 02:42AM
Keith, GREAT find! A silver dollar is one coin (along with a gold coin of any denomination) that is at the top of my "wish list," and probably always will be! smiling smiley

Tom -- that's a great dig right there, and in beautiful shape, too!

Aaron -- A "trime" is an AWESOME dig! I agree, they look like play money -- one of the most unusual of all the U.S. coins ever minted...

My best coin find so far is an 1891 Seated Liberty quarter, that I found just about a year ago to the day. It was almost 10" deep, on edge, and is still the deepest coin I've dug yet. But, the nicest thing about this coin (along with it being my first Seated coin) is the condition it is in. I had it checked out by a couple of folks, and it appears that this coin approaches AU details! Not a rare specimen, but in this condition, and it being my first Seated coin, it's my prized coin dig so far!

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 02:45AM by steveg.
January 29, 2013 03:07AM
Beautiful coins guys!! I started out hunting old coins exclusively, but the past few years I have been focusing on nuggets and relics.
I don't have any pics, I fell on hard times awhile back and sold my best coin find, but heres the story....I'd been eyeballing this old Victorian that was raised up for a new foundation. This is in the Ghetto of Stockton , Ca...think worst part of Atlanta...you get the idea .Im a roofer and going to my truck that morning, I see some ahole broke in my toolbox again!! Pissed, I decided screw work, I'm going to go hit the crawl space of the house. I got there, jumped down in the crawlspace with my Sovereign, and first signal is a very loud highpitch, and reads 180 on the meter. I sunk the letch in , pop a plug, and see this BIG gold coin staring at me...honestly, my first thought was its a chocolate coin...till I noticed the weight! Was a 1890-s double eagle. Like I said, I had to sell it, but I feel confident that it wont be my last gold coin...location, location, location. Thanks for reading and good luck, Ray
January 29, 2013 03:10AM
Well those are some nice digs for sure...

Hey Mr. Manly that is a key date coin for sure with that mint mark....worth a pretty penny LOL!!

Hey Aaron...Congrat's on the Trime...those are great coins and very small and easy to miss... on going after the Pulltab I.D. PAID off...

Thast a great looking Quarter Steve...looks like it has luster to it...You ought to be proud to have a Quarter seated liberty in any shape let alone like that...Very nice congrat's.

Thanks for showing them

Keith
January 29, 2013 03:14AM
Wow Ray....

A double Eagle man o man...

Wish you would of got a pic of it..

I know the area you found it in ..not far away from here...

Gives one Hope!!!

I bet you will get a gold coin out there in Cali....

Especially since the Vista Gold is going to be a part of the arsenal...

man I hate you had to sell that bad boy...

Keith
January 29, 2013 03:18AM
Actually thereis a pic...on treasure depot finds of the year..think its 2001 or 2002..hell, not sure, sun done fried my brain, lol! It was found in Cali...Stockton...mentioned Atlanta as a reference to type of area found. Your day will come Keith, your to good a hunter for one to pass ya by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 03:21AM by deathray.
Hey Ray I found your 20 dollar Gold Piece
January 29, 2013 03:35AM
I think you said it was a 1890 Double Eagle...S mint mark..

Hope you dont mind Me dragging it over here...

Looks good top shelf piece for sure ...

Another is headed your way I'll bet in the future!

Thanks for the Kind word's...

Keith
January 29, 2013 03:39AM
Haha, holy crap Keith, you crack me up! Yep, that was it. Had a low quality camera back then too, can ya tell?lol. Thanks for digging that up man.
January 29, 2013 04:58AM
Here's one of mine (picture is not of my original coin - those pics are long gone as they were on old computers I no longer have) but I found this on the web just to show which coin it was (mine was in similar cond.).

Found at an old church in a lumber camp/town in northern Michigan back in 1997 - it was 10 inches down in muddy/clay type soil near the old road that led to the lake where they floated the lumber to the mill. Found with a Garrett GTA 1000 with the 10'' elliptical coil (will never forget)!

Didn't even know what it was for approx. 2 yrs until I was looking thru the "Red Book" one day and stumbled upon it - I about s_it my pants as I knew it was old, and possibly had some value but I didn't have a clue it was what it was!

Unfortunately I had to sell it in 2003 to save my azz from "The Friend of The Court" (glad those days are behind me now!) - sold on Feebay when it was at the height of its glory days for $3500

outside of this specific coin - my favorite coins are anything colonial era :-) hard to come by in Michigan here though (but every now and then) we get lucky!

January 29, 2013 05:02AM

All of the coins in the bottom pic was found in the same day, within about an half hour with the Deus. The three half dimes were stuck together. probably in a fire. The gold coin in the top two pics was found about two weeks later in the same spot. Not pictured are all the bullets, sword hook, cuff button, harmonica reeds etc. found at the same site. This site is in town were the Union Army was occupying around February of 1862. I know that you said "coin" singular. But there's no way for me to mention one without the others. This has to be the best coin hunt I have ever had. I thought that I had them all found until one wet morning, while hunting in Deus Fast at 18khz, I got a mid tone with some iron grunting. "Why not" said I as I started trying to dig, but everytime I tried to push my spade in, a large root stopped me. I went to the trunk of my car and grabbed the pick/hoe thing that ya get when ya buy a Teknetics G2. I sold the G2, but kept the tool. I put an edge on it with my sidegrinder. I grabbed it and went back to the signal. I proceeded to chop a red-cedar root (about 3 inches diameter) at two different places. I tossed the approx 7 inch piece of root out of the way. I grabbed a handful of loose soil from under where the root had been. I waved the handful of soil in front of my upright coil. It mid-toned. I spilled it on a clean patch of ground. I instantly saw a glint of gold. "Ah, a BUTTON with the gilting in tack!!! I was happy!!! It was worth the trouble. But I saw the number "1" on the button. Reality set in quick. I instantly looked around trying to look inconspicuous. I slowly and deliberately placed my detector and tools back in my trunk. I poured a little water out of my water bottle on the coin to make REAL sure that I was sure about what I saw. Yep!!! There it was: "1 DOLLAR" 18 hundred and something. I'll ne'er forget it.
January 29, 2013 05:12AM
WoW - nice digs for a days work there KevinB! The gold was only an added bonus/nice follow up piece!

Thanks for sharing :-)

HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 05:13AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
January 29, 2013 05:28AM
Congrats on the large silver cart wheel Keith, I think those are harder to find than a gold coin. Patience patience patience your gold con will surface and when you least expect it.

About 4-5 years ago dug my first gold coin a $5 dollar gold piece, Can't remember the year I beleive it was 1852 found it up in Ca. gold country on the main John Fremount 49er trail used by the miners and travelers leading into town.

Gave it to the property owner, Along with several seated dimes, powder flask parts and other neat relics placed inside a nice display case. I remember when the gold coin sprung out of the ground and hit the dirt, that very moment new it was going to the owner, It would mean more to him than me and besides making the find was priceless so that memory will always be etched in my minds eye.

Thanks for sharing your silver dollar Keith, like I said those are harder to find than a gold coin.
Paul (Ca)
January 29, 2013 05:31AM
Extreamly nice find Ray,

She was a beauty find of a lifetime, the first of many more to come.

Congrats Ray,
Paul (Ca)
January 29, 2013 05:37AM
[www.treasurenet.com] my oldest coin so far I also found a 1881 morgan silver dollar it is stained .I rember finding my first indian head i giggled for a week looking at it, was so fixated on silver didnt expect it! Those unexpected treasures seem to be the ones you rember the most! HH ps notice the horns on the bottom right dime or is that a halo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 05:40AM by rapidroy7.
January 29, 2013 06:28AM
I thought I might add a small story about half dollars. My BEST find ever was a half dollar! It was a Franklin half.
Yup, have found stuff worth a lot more money wise... a huge 22 carat gold man's ring with a 3 carat really COOL banana yellow colored diamond. The ring had no initials or anything. I sold it for $5,200. Found a woman's wedding ring with 5 diamonds on the swimming beach at Louisville Lakes (near Omaha) with a Fisher 1260-X. Sold that one for $3,600. Have found COMPLETE sets of Mercury/Roosevelt dimes, Jefferson nickels. The 1916D Merc in the set was in EF condition and I ended up selling it a few years after finding it but I still have the rest of them. Found two $1 gold coins in the same hole once in old, overgrown, deserted cemetery. Lots of 1800s coins over the years, etc.
But my VERY BEST find was that Franklin half!

The year was 1957, I was 10 years old. We were the caretakers of Kountze Park in Omaha, Nebraska. There was, and still is, a building right in the park... we lived there. One evening about 10 minutes to 8 my dad yells at me 'go get me 2 packs of Lucky Strikes'. So he flips a half dollar to me. The grocery store was right across the street and they closed at 8. It had just turned dark out. I took off running out the door and my dad yells out something like 'and don't be spending the change on candy'. As I turned my head to hear him, still on a dead run, the unthinkable happened. I ran smack dab into a huge pine tree about 200 feet from the house, close to the curb. The half dollar went flying. Panic set in! I was on my hands and knees crawling around looking for it for about 15 minutes when I looked up and there was the old man. GULP! 'Where's my cigarettes' he says. I was crying telling him what happened. And crying even more when he whopped my butt. He gounded me until I found that stupid half dollar. So before school every day... and after school every day I looked for it. In vain. After about 2 weeks he ungrounded me and things finally smoothed over.

Now it is 1971. I have my 1st real metal detector... a White's Goldmaster 63TR (actually my VERY 1st one was a crappy Relco BFO that couldn't hardly find a coin on the top of the ground so it wasn't a real metal detector to me). So I figure out how to use the 63TR and head straight for Kountze Park and right for that infamous pine tree. After a couple coins and some junk about 15 minutes into hunting... about 10 feet from the tree BINGO! A 1953D Franklin half about 2" down. I knew that had to be it. I pounded the are around that tree for another hour and found more coins but no other half dollars were there.

So I drive over to my mom and dad's house (they had long since moved out of the park and bought a home in a different part of town). I said something like "Do you remember that half dollar I lost when I was a kid... the one you gave me to buy cigarettes?" Oh ya, he remembered. I handed it to him and told him how I found it. He went straight downstairs with it and drilled a hole in it. He put it on his keychain. It was still on his keychain when he died in 1995.

A few days after his funeral I took that half dollar... all beat up as it was from being on his keychain all those years... and drove to Kountze Park. I buried that old Franklin right where I found it, only instead of 2" deep, like I found it, I buried it over a foot deep. I am sure it is still there to this day.

Added notes: Just to be sure I have hunted around that tree with at least 10 different detectors over the years. No other half dollars. For sure that was the one. If you have read this far more about Kountze Park. We moved out from there when I was in 7th grade because, well I don't exactly now how to say this... I do not want to offend anyone, the area had become predominantly black familys and still is. Very high crime rate in that part of Omaha. But Kountze Park is a very historic place. It was right smack dab in the middle of the 1898 Trans Mississippi Exposition. Look it up, very impressive event. The old dried up lagoon in the park was dead center of the exposition. The park covers 2 city blocks and there are imense 3 story turn of the century homes all over the area. Some still have hitching posts out front. Some are torn down. Buffalo Bill Cody performed 6 blocks north of the park for thousands of folks. If I told you all the stuff I have found in that park and surrounding area (houses/vacant lots/etc.) with metal detectors you probably would not believe me. Thousands of old coins... and many are still there. And that lagoon... I found hundreds of Indian Head Cents in there. It is just such a bad part of town, and I am a LOT older now, that I am wary of going there by myself. And my wife INSISTS that I don't. So I have not set foot there for 12 or 13 years.
January 29, 2013 06:54AM
Wow Michigan congrats big time on the Bar Cent!!! Speechless find especially in historical value...

Thats a nice coin grouping Kevin....That 1 dollar coin will last you a lifetime of joy....

Wow Paul...Very commendable of you to give the 5 Dollar piece to the land owner....That would be tough to hand over...Sound's like a great place to hunt...I would love to hunt some old Califonia miner's camp's one day...Just to say I have done it...I would aslo like to hunt the old ghost towns out West...I can watch gunsmoke at night on TV and My mind races...

Thanks for the remarks also Paul on the Big Silver....

Hey Rapid that's a pretty flying eagle...Thats my favorite cent....Hard to come By....That Early Morgan sounds good congrats on that..

Hey Lipservice...Great story!!!..I see why thats was your favorite coin find!!!!Priceless memories...

Thanks for the stroies and the pics fella's..

I like reading and seeing what people find...

We talk so much about looking for it and how to look for it and equipment to use...But let's face it looking at stuff really gets the motivation going to try new method's and dig one more iffy signal while in the field...

Thats why I am a firm believer in the best equipment you can get for the job at hand...try to put the odds in your favor on every hunt!! I try to hunt a site like I wont come to it again..even if I hunt it 100 times act like it's your only time on the spot....it will get you something everytime....maybe not a jaw dropper but it will be something....

Positive attitude and proper tool's and confidence in your equipment and your already ahead of the game before you start the hunt...

Thanks again for the replies and stories and pic's...

Keith
January 29, 2013 08:49AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I relic hunt religiously but I come across coins
> every now and then....
>
> And While I have my favorite relics..theres
> alway's a few coin's I keep on my wish list....
>
> I have found alot of those over the years like
> reale's...3 center's 2 center,flying
> eagle's,seated liberty's., standing
> liberty's,half's..King George's,Big penny's and
> thing's like that....and they are all fun to dig
> especially the civil war era and before
> date's....
>
> But I have yet to join the Gold Coin club...maybe
> never will?
>
> But I found a coin a few years back.I had wanted
> since a I was a little boy....And to beat it all I
> found it out scouting fro civil war sites one day
> with a buddy of mine...
>
> We were riding 4 wheeler's in a logging area...I
> happened to catch glimpse of a foundation rock
> lying next to the road...So stopped and got off
> and turned on my detector and sure enough a house
> place had been cut through....
>
> It was on a civil war battlefield...and the Relics
> in the ground were racing through my
> mine.....first signal was a Civil war bullet...I
> thought o'yeah here we go...
>
> Next signal was loud and clear and pegged my I.D.
> meter out at 36 on my I.D. Edge Fisher...I knew
> that's were large silver hit's...but I thought
> belt Buckle in my mind....I chopped me a plug out
> of the summer time hard red clay and scanned the
> red ball of clay lying on the ground beside the
> hole...the target was in the baseball size
> clump....I said well a little small for a
> buckle...So I picked it up and started breaking it
> open and the first crack a part of the red clay
> time capsule revealed the reeded edge....and I saw
> that it was Huge..way bigger than a .50 cent
> piece...well it must of took me a full minute to
> open the clod because I knew then and there it was
> dollar....So what's going through my mind
> then....a Seated Liberty dollar 1861 or something
> I was thinking...I was actually shaking from
> excitement...I broke open the the encapsulated
> treasure and I was looking at the back of it with
> the eagle staring back...and I was thinking what's
> on the back of a seated liberty whats on the back
> of a seated liberty dollar...I pried the face out
> of the clod it was still stuck in and saw the
> liberty head and Knew it was a Morgan....I
> actually went sad for a minute then I went right
> back to enjoyment....I had found a item I had been
> after most of my life...I could not hunt after
> that...I looked for more and returned a few times
> since but no Cache as I was thinking...Just single
> loan Silver Dollar lying there for over a century
> alone...Or maybe theres some more there....I will
> hunt it hard again in the future the cache could
> be way deep in the dirt and this one just happened
> to get to the top through the logging....Still
> dreaming lol!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great story Keith -

it's always good to hear how/where others find their "good" finds even if they're not high $$ value... It's the "passion" behind it all is what's nice to hear & see :-)

1 year later with the "S" mint mark and you woulda been in the serious $$ though!

Still a great find no matter!

Here's a story for ya --- I had a buddy once --- he was a co-worker that took interest in the hobby after I informed him that I have been doing it (at that time - for over 20 yrs) which was approx. 12 yrs ago but anyway - I convinced him to come along with me just to see if he may take interest in it and for something to do on a saturday afternoon as we had been fishing and bow hunting many times together in the past but finally he said yes and that he knew a place that we could hunt. Turns out it was a childhood home of his that was still standing (an 1870s farm house) on what was then and still is now on the property of a large dump that bought up a 1 mile square piece of land to operate on but the house is on the backside far from where they actually receive the garbage/etc. and operate at.

We hit the yard running and within minutes were pulling buffalo nickels, Indian heads, a V nickel, silver dimes, 1 silver Standing Lib, old tootsie cars, and a pile of all the stuff that goes along with hunting an undetected property of the age ---- needless to say ---- he was "hooked" and from that moment on - he was on a mission to get his own detector!

About 1 month later he received his 1st machine via ups from the big FL dealer and he calls me to go out for our 1st hunt with him having his own machine... We drove to a small lake a little over an hrs drive out in the woods that he says he knows younger people go to and party/etc. but is very secluded and can not be reached unless you have 4 wheel drive as it's a muddy 2 track leading back into the woods up and down hills, with huge deep holes, etc... Now mind you - he's only been detecting 1 time in the past (with me) sharing my detector thru-out the day so he doesn't have any time in on any machine at all. Now - we're at this lake and I give him a few pointers on running his new machine and show him with different coins/targets the different sounds it makes/etc... So - we're hunting along for about 20 minutes when I hear him yelling and hollering on the other end of the lake ---- I work my way over to him and he's standing there with a 1921 Morgan dollar in his hands but has no clue as to what it is and points down to the spot he found it --- I look down and there's a dead deer carcass laying there and about 3 inches to the left was a hole he dug about 6 inches deep in the "sand". He was glowing like he just hit the lottery or something! Also - he was and has been married to his detector since that day forward! Sadly though - he moved from Michigan here to FL so we don't get to hunt as buddies anymore but we stay in touch and swap stories/etc.

And needless to say - I knew when he found that silver dollar rgt there a few feet from the waters edge that the lake must have never been detected so I knew I was coming back with my cz20 to get in the lake and do some serious hunting in the spring (it was early December at the time and too cold to hunt the water) but - that very next spring I drove back there on a late April day - put my wetsuit on and hit the water for one of the best water hunts I've ever done in my life! Too much to list but lets just say - rings (silver & gold) religious medals/crosses many silver no gold, several silver chains/bracelets, many many coins (inc. several silver, and other old pieces) - toys, silver spoon, and on and on! I haven't seen a lake give up that much since the 80s when water machines 1st came out and haven't been to another since... I'll be looking hard for one this spring/summer though :-)

No Morgan dollar for me though and I've still yet to find one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 08:53AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
January 29, 2013 09:44AM
Holy mackerel guys, love the stories. Great thread Keith!! Not use to this adrenaline rush this early in the morning.

I have to say,.... something about the old silver coins gets me. As you know I recently found my first half eagle, maybe it hasn't set in yet, but my favorite coin, as far as beauty and design is the walking liberty half, only found two, early forties. Man are they a piece of art.

I also like the old state coppers. They give a feeling of simpler times and a young America. Too bad they don't hold up in the ground well.

I have never found a silver dollar, only halves. Unearthing a big old American silver like that, would be tops for me....I can picture it.

These experiences are what it's all about, thanks again Keith for bringing it up.
January 29, 2013 06:03PM
Yes, I have never found a silver dollar either......yet. I found a Barber Half with the AT Pro back in Spring of 012. For some reason, I wasn't as thrilled with it as I was the Barber quarter (1902) that I found with my first Etrac when I was only a couple of months old in the hobby. Everytime I find a "FIRST" coin, it etches a spot on my memory. A couple of weeks ago I found my FIRST Buffalo nickel. Before that, I had found a couple of Shield nickels, and several V nickels (many from the spot where the Gold dollar was found). But that FIRST Buffalo means more. I found a Buffalo yesterday!!! My second!! And right after that, a corroded, 188? Indian head, my umpteenth. They didn't get my heart racing as those FIRSTS!!! Those FIRSTS are just goals that I set for myself and are completely unconnected with a numismatic value. I just wish that there were special plaques made (I'm sure there are, SOMEWHERE) that I can use to display my coin finds other than those little cardboard, clear plastic things that ya staple.
I just have all my old coins in various cups. Indian heads and old nickels in one, any silver coin in another, wheat pennies in another. But I have all my bulllets and buttons in plaques. Even old relics that are not connected to the Civil War have an esthetic appeal. But I see now that I am side tracking the topic and I apologize. I'm just in a 'talking' way this morning. (guess I'll be in a 'talking way' more frequently now as I had to let my sitter for momma go. Hint: never let the hired help keep up with their own time. Little did she know that I was keeping up with it too.......but I've GOTTA know the character of the person who sits with momma while I'm out swinging)
Anyway....BACK TO COINS!!!! C'mon forum members.....POST SOME MORE!!!!!! I love seeing what others are finding!!! Great post Keith!!!!!!
January 30, 2013 02:18AM
I have two coins, one I dug a long time ago, when I first started detecting, it's an 1786 Connecticut copper, and where I dug it, was behind a meeting house in NH that was built in 1786 and the man that sold the pews to the meeting house was the only man from Connecticut that lived in the town

I live in a town in Maine now, that dates back to 1630's and my town was incorporated in 1658, I dug a French Laird with a date 1657 and I always wanted to find a coin older than the town I lived in, it was 100 feet away from the old's King 's Highway , which means the beach back then, if you went to far away from the sea shore , the Indians killed you
January 30, 2013 02:31AM
Congrats to your Buddy Michigan,,,

And congrats to you for finding a swimming honey hole...

I have a drained lake about 30 minutes fromthe house I found a few years back walking in the wood's....Still se aprt of an old boat sunk stinking up in th emiddle of the wood's.

I was diffing silver cons and wheat backs from the 30's and 40's....around the edge fo where the water use to be....never did get into where the swimmers would of been...

Heck I never went back...need to go back one day and hunt that spot again...

I Know what you are talking about on the exposition's lipservice...we had cotton states expostion here in the 1880's,,,,huge event..about 10 miles form my fron door as the crow flies...its covered in older resifinetial neighborhoods now bu they left the lake alone that was there...I tried to hunt it once but tit was trashed out everywhere around it...I bet tht old spot there is loaed in silver coins and cotton state memorabilia...

Hey Ozzie if you got the Gold coin dont worry about the Big Silver dollar laugh out loud,,,

I do find it interesting though what Paul said about it being easier to dig a gold coin compared to a silver dollar....Interesting ...Never thought of it like that...But I wish my luck was different LOL!!

Quick story !

I was out riding one Saturday looking for a place to hunt....

Saw some dozers clearing a old 1800's farm house ...they had pushed the house down and were getting ready to leave for the day..they were standing at their trucks talking when I pulled up...I said do you mind if I scan around with my detector...one Guy speaks up said sure go ahead but you wont find anything....I found that odd...He then pulls out of his pocket a rag and opens it up....He has about 20-25 or so Silver dollars in the oil rag...I am standing thinking WHAT trying to take it all in as he explains they were pushing with the dozer and say Silver coins glistening on the dirt....As I quickly relaized what I was looking at I scaned my eyes on a few of the dates...they were 1880's mostly...He then told His buddy to show him your's....well his buddy hesitantly walked over to his truck opened the dash a produced about the 20-25 silver dollar's....

I said WOW!!!

where was they found...well the friendly guy says while pointing, right over there...then the quiter Partner say no they were down next to that little stream...in the opposite direction....then they argued for a mintue over the exact location LOL!!!

anyway I finally got the story of there was some light blue glass lying amongst them and a zinc ball mason jar lid.....So they had busted the Burried jar with the dozer then spread them out....

finally they left and one said I could hunt the other said He was not sure...you can guess which one said He was not sure...Anyhow I started scanning and before long I saw the Blue glass busted on the ground and fresh foot print's all around in a close area to the glass....I said Here we go time to dig some Dollar's...Well it was about 5 oclock in the day on a Summer evening...I hunted till 930 that night and found one loan silver dime...and It was a Roosie...

I still cant believe those guys found everyone of those dollars that day!!!!

Keith
January 30, 2013 03:40AM
January 30, 2013 10:53AM
Due to the unique nature of this forum, , , it generates much greater dedicated hunters/members...... of whom hunt with much greater passion (monomaniac status)........... taking this hobby very seriously; subsequently....... you will (then) notice/witness the 'seriousness' level of these hunters/members......... by the 'ratio' of those of whom have found a gold coin vs not (yet) found a gold coin......... on this very specific forum.

Keith........... your stat's/ratio's/odd's are exceptionally off-kilt....... to an uncanny oddity. In all seriousness..... you are well over-due for a gold coin.

With the advent of (finally) some serious technologically advanced entrants into the world of relic hunting.......... insomuch...able to start opening up carpets of nails; we..... the forum members...... will certainly see more gold coins come to light. (((For validation purposes........ watch the ratio's))).

When more folks 'run to' (vs run from) carpets of nails.......... as we have done so...for all of our detecting history.............. watch what happens.

(((Much more to say........ simply out of time))).
January 30, 2013 02:39PM
IRT...being overdue for a gold coin, I'm a runner up for second place.
January 30, 2013 03:21PM
I guess I've nothing to worry about. It's all downhill from here. (regarding chances of finding gold coin). But I embrace the self-challenge of finding number two. Just to make my hunts more wonder-prone. But I had rather Keith, Aaron, and those others who wish, to find their first gold coin first. If, for no other reason, I feel that they deserve it more than me, due to the fact that they have been doing this for far more years. I stumbled upon a very unusual spot in June of last year. My first hunt there turned up many "firsts" coins. Two cent shield coin, etc. Two weeks later, after hammering that site at least every other day, if not every day, I caught a signal that I had missed but had been over at least ten other times....and slowly and methodically!!!! And STILL missed it. Perhaps because it had a mid tone audio maybe? Or a tone that subconsciously registered at PULL TAB!!!!! Since that day, I just dig everything now, except iron grunts. I wear a cheap nail apron (that lumber sheds give a way to carpenters) and that thing is causally full when I quit hunting for the day. But I can look back over the yard with the satisfaction of knowing that ya can't see one of my holes. Maybe, occasionally, you can see a faint ring where the sod was pulled and replaced, but that is because I put the plug back in not exactly like it came out.
GOOD LUCK/SKILL to all in their next hunts.
January 30, 2013 04:41PM
Kevin, if you find another gold coin....do NOT sell it.

FRAME IT!!!!
January 30, 2013 05:33PM
My favorite coin find aint pretty but it's the oldest. A 1721 George I half-penny. I found it nearby a colonial water driven mill site. Much later the mill was converted to steam driven. Of all the half-pennies I have found this one is the least toasted. I think the reason for its better condition is that it was in a non agricultural area where no fertilizer ate on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 05:36PM by Yeasty.
January 31, 2013 02:05AM
Many years ago I purchased a used Compass Coin Scanner Pro in the dead of winter. I was itching to try it out so the first day the temperature got above 45 degrees, I took it to my neighbors 1840's farmhouse. The ground was thawed in most places, but when I got a perfect signal in the front yard of the house, I found the ground was still frozen solid. This was sometime in January so I mentally marked the spot and thought I would find the target again in the spring. Well spring rolled around and to be honest, several springs rolled around before that "perfect" signal was remembered. By this time I did not even own the Compass and was swinging a DFX. I swear it only took me three or four minutes to find the forgotten target and when I did, I was not disappointed. It turned out to be a pristine 1849 seated dime from about 7 inches deep. Not my oldest coin from this house, but my most memorable.