Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold Field Test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Vista Gold Field Test
February 24, 2013 09:26PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin.....what the....you SOLD your GOLD
> already?!!

He's got a Deus 9", no need for the Vista Gold.

HH
Johnb
February 24, 2013 09:58PM
Got that right.
February 25, 2013 01:46AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Kevin.....what the....you SOLD your GOLD
> already?!!

Well, at least I'm consistent. (laughing....then sighing)
February 25, 2013 01:55AM
I got a fair find caught in tape the other day. I was using the XP Deus with 9 inch coil. The nails are so thick that if you just move your coil a half inch, you'll hear grunting. It was a 1918 (yes I though for a minute that it was 1919) Wheatback cent. It was on impressive pull of nonferrous from ferrous.
I have not even BEGUN to wring out the possibilities of the XP Deus. I still use factory programs slightly tweaked. But I talked with a dedicated Deus user today who schooled me on some stuff. I am going to go back through all of my trashy sites with new settings. Heck, I am not anywhere NEAR ready for a Version Three!!!! I am still in kindergarten on Version Two. I have kept the XP Deus longer than I have kept any other unit. I have several full plaques of goodies because of it.
Sorry, Tom, I hijacked again. Can't wait to see what ya found today in the real world scenario.
February 25, 2013 03:34AM
johnnyrebel, you need to understand so far Tom is doing preliminary tests. Also the quotes are likely from
different time periods within his evaluations.
So, it would be unfair for him to give you any kind of response right now.
Likely though he will know more in a few weeks...if he desires he can speak for himself, just thought I would point out the obvious.
February 25, 2013 05:37AM
OK Steve...thank you & understood. Just waiting for the results and trying to get a few answers...

Steve(MS) Wrote:
> johnnyrebel, you need to understand so far Tom is
> doing preliminary tests. Also the quotes are
> likely from
> different time periods within his evaluations.
> So, it would be unfair for him to give you any
> kind of response right now.
> Likely though he will know more in a few
> weeks...if he desires he can speak for himself,
> just thought I would point out the obvious.
February 25, 2013 01:17PM
((( Getting soooo many PM's that I nearly do not have the time to post my findings/reports ))).

I have real-world field-test data....... stand by.
February 25, 2013 01:35PM
Wow. Nearly 1.5" depth difference between the Gold and the GMP/Deus? Suddenly the Gold ain't looking as appealing as it was a couple weeks ago. In the detecting world, 1.5 inches is quite a bit. I've paid $300 for accessory coils just to TRY and gain 1.5 - 2 inches more depth.

The only thing is though...would a low conductive target such as a Eagle coat button, be better for the Gold's potential? As noted, the dime is a high conductor and the Gold's higher frequency wouldn't be expected to do well on high conductors. If I bought the machine it wouldn't be for coin shooting anyway...am interested to see some tests on relics; particularly buttons and lead bullets.
February 25, 2013 02:32PM
DanielTn....I'm trying to figure out how the testing is done - I asked the question earlier. If you have a buried coin...how do you determine:

"this Vista Gold is approx 1.4" ( not 1.5"...as that extra 1/10 inch is worth money winking smiley ) less capable on a clad dime than GMP (and Deus). . . . . in a test-garden."

I'm not questioning the results - I'd just like to be pointed to where I can read how you do tests like that so precisely on a buried target - that's all...

And Dan - I agree - you're talking 25 kHz versus 18 kHz. Plus are these head-to-head comparisons happening right now - is the Deus and GMP there right now for testing?

According to this report by Tom in May, 2006 on Head-To-Head Comparison Testing (http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/head-to-head.htm)....it seems that there are so many variables that I'm just trying to figure out how comparisons can be made today to test results for machines done almost a year ago???

Again - I'm NOT saying the results aren't valid...all I'm saying is without video to capture the tests and the test site conditions - I just don't know what is done to get such precise measurements with targets buried in dirt...if the targets are buried in the dirt...did they sink in the course of 10 months in the FL sandy soil??

Can someone enlighten me...please? So I can shut up and learn. I'm trying to make a $800 decision here and just want all the facts so I can replicate everything in these tests on my own...

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Wow. Nearly 1.5" depth difference between the Gold
> and the GMP/Deus? Suddenly the Gold ain't looking
> as appealing as it was a couple weeks ago. In the
> detecting world, 1.5 inches is quite a bit. I've
> paid $300 for accessory coils just to TRY and gain
> 1.5 - 2 inches more depth.
>
> The only thing is though...would a low conductive
> target such as a Eagle coat button, be better for
> the Gold's potential? As noted, the dime is a
> high conductor and the Gold's higher frequency
> wouldn't be expected to do well on high
> conductors. If I bought the machine it wouldn't be
> for coin shooting anyway...am interested to see
> some tests on relics; particularly buttons and
> lead bullets.
February 25, 2013 02:51PM
Hopefully Tom will bury a dime at 12" and a nickel at 13"like Keith did. He is using the same exact detector , and it would be interesting if the Gold can get the same depth in the Florida soil.
February 25, 2013 02:59PM
Tom as per his first DVD from years ago has a long established/maintained coin garden.
February 25, 2013 03:02PM
johnnyrebel.. In regards to these videos that you post, there is a variable not equal; the coil. Would like to see the same size/design of coil utilized on each unit. Is it the metal detector or the coil? Or both? Wouldn't be surprized that performance became more equal!

Evidence thus far supports that the Vista Gold might have an edge in mineralized dirt. XP has my interest for my area.
February 25, 2013 03:22PM
Sir, I don't make those videos. All I saw was what looked to be the stock coils being used.
I'm trying to make a proper decision like everyone else.

I think many people said it here - especially Keith Southern: you need to use the proper machine for the detecting conditions you will be encountering in YOUR detecting locations - not someone else's locations. I think that's why anyone I've ever met in this hobby that's more than just a casual person - has 2, 3 even 5 machines...

Dirt Dawg Wrote:
> johnnyrebel.. In regards to these videos that you
> post, there is a variable not equal; the coil.
> Would like to see the same size/design of coil
> utilized on each unit. Is it the metal detector
> or the coil? Or both? Wouldn't be surprized that
> performance became more equal!
>
> Evidence thus far supports that the Vista Gold
> might have an edge in mineralized dirt. XP has my
> interest for my area.
February 25, 2013 03:38PM
"Sir, I don't make those videos."

No, you just do a good job narrating them.
February 25, 2013 04:50PM
In a National Geographic "The world is going to end if you don't buy this machine" kind of narrating deep doomsday voice.

It's my Pringels and Beer night tonight, wife is fiddling about with a new "smarter than me" phone, dog is chewing on a bone.
I'm just pondering about my finds and cold feet from this afternoon!

Bring on Springtime !!

Anyway, if Toms real-world hunt turned out to be a nitty gritty 0.anything depth difference between the GMP and the Vista Gold.
Probably will try a second hand GMP.

HH
Johnb
February 25, 2013 08:32PM
That seem's to be according to what type ground you have John...

Me and Tom both are perplexed why the Gold in my dirt hit's a 12.25" dime ..yet in his dirt does not...And the GMP in my dirt struggles with the 10" dime unless ground balance is set negative ot proper.....I even dug the dime back up to makes sure I was not reading a fasle hole...once dime was removed no signal...

Weird is it not?

Something does seem to be askew?

I wonder if the worse the dirt the better the machine can see?

Makes me wonder if the other Deeptechs see better depth in more neutral dirt...the other I had were the weaker than my Gold..LOL!!!Thats had be stumped!

Strange..Yet a very interesting conundrum

Keith
February 25, 2013 09:59PM
Exactly why everyone should compare results but with a grain of salt. Just because a macine will hit a dime in xyz conditions at 12 inches does not mean it will hit a dime in YOUR DIRT AT 12 INCHES.
February 25, 2013 10:48PM
well this is and has been a learning experience for sure, i know in my ground when i use the relic i can hit coins easy to the 10" range but thats brown loamy mixed clayish type soil and this went for the rg 1000 as well and used the gold as a small item or target hunter for the most part hoping to hit trime or something of that small of a coin on some of my relic hunts
February 25, 2013 10:56PM
Don't know exactly what kind of dirt I got.

Only tasted it a few times that I really can remember,.... LOL

No seriously, I would expect the GMP to handle bad dirt very nicely.
Reading the advert on their site, they claim it has better performance,...

When the Vista Gold has better depth in bad dirt, then XP need to put their thinking caps back on.

HH
Johnb
February 25, 2013 11:09PM
well i'm sticking to my DT stuff it has done me very well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:30AM by AMCJAVELIN.
February 26, 2013 02:26AM
My vista Gold just arrived...finally! 3weeks. Arrived at dark. Initial impression...battery compartment sucks, coil seems solid, with good cable. Hard for my eyes to read what knob is what, but it will soon be second nature. Oh, and theres no shortage of packing peanuts in Bulgaria, lol. Gonna give it a spin real soon.Ray
February 26, 2013 09:50AM
Time to document/share my findings (thus far).

Two dedicated, very distinct, very specific targeted hunts -- seeking scientific-based data. Nutshell thoughts:

1) Easy to operate

2) Fast learning-curve if you are a relic hunter. Instant learning-curve if you are coming from a Deus/GMP.

3) Vista Gold performs/operates/functions nearly exactly like XP GMP.

4) Disc AND ID to fringe depth is absolutely critical........... hard to design in a detector; yet, the Vista Gold is accurate/confident.

5) Turning 'boost' off..... and many real-world (various) detected targets completely disappeared.
I have yet to find a need to run with 'boost' off.
6) Switching from 'Slow' to 'Fast'..... and many real-world detected targets completely disappeared.
'Slow' can only be used in low iron trash sites........ otherwise, existing falsing becomes accentuated/excessive/elongated/fatiguing/unusable.

7) Some certain flakes of rust...... about the size of a half-dime..... would give a continuous/repeatable high-tone...... and no Disc setting would mitigate.

8) Disc range will indeed disc out chewing gum foil.

9) Identical Grnd Bal electronic reactions/response as compared to GMP.
In the different types of conditions (thus far) that I have encountered.... the Ground Balance has been deep into the red range ..... about 2 o-clock position.

10) The iron volume control knob will only reduce the iron audio reports down to approx 1/2 volume.
Would like to have the ability to turn the iron volume down to zero.

11) No pinpoint feature.
Not wanted, not needed.

12) Encountered too much microphonics with 5" DD coil (bad/improper coil wire)..... to give accurate valid (value added) assessment.

13) Deliberately running the Vista Gold behind the GMP in carpets of nails......... and the Vista Gold will find nearly nothing. At a virgin site....... running the GMP behind the Vista Gold in carpets of nails...... and the GMP will find nearly nothing. Units were (uncanny) comparable. Conductivity of masked targets ranged the entire spectrum. Herein lies approx 2.5% difference between the two units........ due (primarily) to coil footprint configuration. Both units are DD; however, the GMP is 9" round and the Vista Gold is 11" elliptical. I would have expected a few percent greater delta/differential; yet, resultant was still within 'norm' expectations.
If two (comparable) units are to be run head-to-head....... it is protocol to run one unit behind the other....... and vice-versa. Multiple times.... so as to ascertain overall aggergate statistical averaging/analysis for scientific validity.

14) Turning Vista Gold 'on' each time..... presents a different set/group of induced electronic instability. . . . . incongruent with atmospheric conditions. Not much; however, noteworthy. Minor adjustments (reducing sensitivity) would mitigate the problem.
This unit truly feels like a 1st generation (or proto) GMP. Its operating characteristics (and subsequent performance) are nearly identical to the GMP. The GMP is much more repeatable/stable/refined. The overall build quality of the Vista Gold is below average; yet, functional.

My brain is exceptionally sensitive to any/all performance increase(s) in depth. Even a 1/2" depth increase (regardless of conductivity range) ..... is a dramatic performance gain of which will completely change the end-resultant..... to the point of turning the world up-side-down. In Florida's low mineralization dirt........... no depth advantage was noticed between the GMP vs Vista Gold....... in real-world conditions.

More to follow.......... out of time.
February 26, 2013 10:15AM
COOL!!!!!...Thanks Tom.
February 26, 2013 11:01AM
im going to buy a gmp now thanks Tom
February 26, 2013 11:15AM
So correct me if I am reading this wrong, but the Vista Gold is testing even with the GMP in Fla. neutral soil, and testing better, according to Keith in North Ga. soil? In preliminary test only. I do not care which machine is better, only true test results. That determines which machine I buy next, and which machine I sell. I will hunt with my machines before I sell any on other peoples recommendations, but always listen to others reasoning as to why they do or do not sell their detectorsl
February 26, 2013 11:28AM
Very interesting.

Thank you Keith and Tom.
February 26, 2013 11:33AM
whoa!! Aaron, are you actually admitting that you are surprised?
February 26, 2013 11:35AM
NASA-Tom
6) Switching from 'Slow' to 'Fast'..... and many real-world detected targets completely disappeared. 'Slow' can only be used in low iron trash sites........ otherwise, existing falsing becomes accentuated/excessive/elongated/fatiguing/unusable.

So the Gold in "Slow" mode equals the GMP for depth in neutral soil but excessively falses in iron. Does the GMP excessively false in iron too when running high sensitivities? If not, the GMP would have a significant advantage.
February 26, 2013 11:52AM
Thanks Tom! Much appreciated...
February 26, 2013 11:53AM
WOW Go Rebels. You and I see this test completely differently. Interesting and just goes to show you that perspective can change everything.

Wow Go-Rebels, it just goes to show that perspective is everything. Your perspective is totally different than mine 0n this test. Whatever this comes out to be, I will learn from it and I am sure you will too.