Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

coils

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
coils
April 19, 2010 03:36PM
It seems we need to talk about this subject more. It saved my hunt but I did it from desperation and it paid off. It seems in my dirt the 5DD coil found and unmasked even more then the 11DD on the LTD. And it is very deep. Now I know Tom has very different dirt and is was better at hunting then I am with the 11DD. But it never hurts to try something to see if it works. For me in my soil the 5DD was the only way to go. LowBoY

Since then I have been using the G2 and I have edited this and the G2 for me is better at finding coins and all different relics even better then the LTD in my ground The Calif Gold Country. But I still love the LTD and the G2 will make me a better hunter with the LTD from what I have learned using it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 01:11AM by Lawrenzo.
Re: coils
April 19, 2010 07:25PM
I've been having extraordinary success lately with the small coil and depth is unbelievable (plus it's lighter to swing). I think separation has a lot to do with it. There is definitely something to the small coil and more finds though. I don't think many sites have seen this type of separation and depth/sens. before from any detector. It all ties in with Toms continued experimentation and articles on the effects of masking. If your in a good site chances are there is a lot of small iron flakes that could mask. The smaller the footprint of the coil while maintaining good depth the higher the probability good signals will be heard that were never before possible. IMO

LTD

Sens higher the better

disc 6

tone mono
April 19, 2010 08:16PM
I hunt with the 3x7" coil all the time because I hunt where a lot of trash is . The small coil will get a dime at about 71/2 " in my ground.
April 19, 2010 10:42PM
((( Just answered in another post )))
April 19, 2010 11:41PM
Thx again Tom! It must be great to MD'ing with your knowledge!

That is what I was suspecting but could not verify or put into words. That really opens another world of detecting to me, again. Again thx for all this insight. If it's of any consolation I received your 1st DVD from Famous Treasures and can't wait for the Seminar DVD. I greatly appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience on this forum for no charge although at this point I would pay to get on this site. The info is extremely valuable!
April 20, 2010 01:05AM
Thanks! ...... And you are welcome! Hope you enjoy the DVD....and don't be affraid to comment after you watch it,,, negatives or positives.
April 20, 2010 02:25AM
Low Boy, as I recall in one of your videos I believe it was one of your hunting partners (Rybo?), you guys were at a old house site that was torn down, he was using a 3D with a 5 inch coil. I remember wondering why he wasnt atleast using a 8 inch. I realized later that there was probably alot of junk to work around. I commented recently on the "lazer-like" precision I was getting in extremely heavy junk with the 5inch coil on my LTD and the great depth. I think alot of people lean more towards the bigger coils because they're worried about depth when actually most of the items are within 6 or less inches. Myself, Im mostly concerned about coverage. You really need to be careful and take your time with over lapping with the little coils, you can miss a deep target real easy

Aaron.
April 20, 2010 02:48AM
Yes Rybo would keep up with me and he had to hunt more ground but that little coil would hit better and the CZ3 for me is not that great in iron. So yes the small coil is the way to go for trash be it trash or nails, rust, I have wasted alot of hunts because I was sure from what I have read the 11 was the way to go.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

April 20, 2010 03:05AM
What small coil are you using?
April 20, 2010 03:19PM
I used the 5 inch DD for two days. I have the six inch but thought that the ground balanced so high 70-80 that the five was the way to go. If I ever go back in I will try the six inch.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 20, 2010 10:40PM
If the area hunted is VERY HIGH in trash & good targets.............the tiny 5" DD coil will light up MUCH more targets INDIVIDUALLY...........giving the operator more targets to select from. Article "Coil Size Myths" explains this. The small coil will actually go deeper than the larger coil.............neither of which will ascertain max depth......due to excessive masking. ((( That large stock 7x11 DD coil will still surprise you in the trash ))).
April 21, 2010 05:51AM
tom!..,in your experience,which is the BETTER choice to use in high trash with the f-75,
the 6.5 concentric?.,OR the 5" dd?..thanks!

(h.h)
j.t.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 05:55AM by jmaryt.
April 23, 2010 01:24AM
Without question.............the 5" DD.
April 23, 2010 03:40AM
hot damn!..tom!..i was hoping you would say the concentric,because i already own that one!
instead of purchasing the f-75 l.t.d,maybe buying the 5" dd will be a fair compromise for coin hunting exclusively?

thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 23, 2010 10:04PM
The small DD is better suited for relic hunting in very trashy dirt. It'll 'hold its own' for coin hunting also.
April 24, 2010 04:39AM
thanks!..tom!..is it fair to say then, the "separation" of the 5" dd coil IS better than the
concentric when hunting for coins,or is the performance of both of them too close to call?

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 24, 2010 11:49AM
The tiny 5" DD has much better separation vs the concentric. I should have posted this (a long time ago); The electromagnetic footprint of the elliptical concentric coil looks like a football being pushed into the dirt.........with the football being flat on the ground (not nose first).
April 26, 2010 05:02AM
ok!..thanks tom!!..just wondering why (f.t) decided in their infinite wisdom
to market the 3x6" concentric FIRST,as opposed to the 5"dd! for the f-75!..,knowing
that the 5"dd has BETTER separation capabilities in extreme trash!..i honestly did not know
which one separated better,hence the question!..i'm after coins,so it is important to know!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.
April 26, 2010 10:52PM
The concentric is a bit more stable..............a bit better at ID'ing iron......and has reasonable depth.
April 27, 2010 06:10AM
thanks!..tom!..i''l try to pick up the 5"dd too!

(h.h)
j.t.
April 27, 2010 03:29PM
I would have never really used the 5DD from what I have read on any forum . I always see most people saying how good the 11DD is even in bad iron and trash. But I found out the hard way becasue my count really went up the two days Crosby and I were at the Chineses camp using the 5DD. I have not read Tom using the 5DD and it may be his soil but for my soil in Calif it was the only way to hunt. I say what ever works for you is the best way to hunt. I think they should make one more coil that is maybe a bit bigger then the 5DD and yes it should be a DD. I also read that PF and CL works better in iron then Boost or DE? I also read that if you have too much chatter going on you may miss the deeper targets that give off a tone with a softer volume.... So there are a lot of things you have to try when hunting to see what works for you. There is not one way is the best...one coil is the best.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 27, 2010 11:32PM
hi low boy!
have you used the 3X6" concentric coil for the f-75 in the trash?
if so,how did you find it to separate targets?..thanks"!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 28, 2010 01:17AM
I have not but I have one and I am thinking of taking the 5DD and the 6 inch and seeing how they do....

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 28, 2010 02:12AM
I used the 6 1/2 a good bit with my F 75 when hunting very trashy spots and did well with it. Since getting the F 75 LTD and 5" coil, the 5" coil seldom comes off when hunting in the trash. The 5" has much better separation then the 6 1/2 and gets very nice depth. HH jim tn
April 28, 2010 07:42AM
i would value that comparison!..it would be very helpful!..
looking forward to that!..thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 28, 2010 07:44AM
guess i'll go after it!..doesn't get much clearer than that!
thanks!..jim!

(h.h!)
j.t.
April 28, 2010 03:32PM
I can say that the 5DD got me some great depth in boost mode I was running a disc of 6 and a sens of 70 and was digging 8" holes with no problem. If I get a bad ID then the target was out of range of the 5" DD say 9" or greater I would dig it and I found some great deep relics that way. So the 5"DD is so far better then the 11DD in bad trashy or iron ground. I will have to try the 6" next

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 29, 2010 07:35AM
great info!..anxious to hear about the 6' coil as well!
looks like i'm gonna have to "bite" for the 5"..i have used my 6" once or twice,and found it to separate well,
so was hoping to "get away" WITHOUT doing the 5"..beginning to look like i gotta "bite!"

thanks!
(h.h!)
j.t.
April 29, 2010 03:34PM
Take a big bite if you are finding relics and history you need all of the tools you can get. I think the 6 inch would be better off on not as trashy or as much iron area. But where a big coil is too much.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 30, 2010 03:13AM
i'm a coin sniper lawrenzo!...lookin' for the "best" separation in the junk!
i see a real "need" for the 5,..so it's money well spent!....thanks!

(h.h!)
j.t.