Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

inland lake sink rate?

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
inland lake sink rate?
April 23, 2010 02:23PM
I'm wondering what the sink rate is on inland lake shores, especially small inland lakes where there is little wave action. Also the sink rate in the sand up away from the water. I remember a example of extreme sink rate Tom wrote about regarding a ring he tied a string too and sank almost 2 feet in less than a minute on the ocean shore line. I find that extremely facinating.
Thanks and Happy Hunting to everyone this weekend!
Aaron
Re: inland lake sink rate?
April 23, 2010 10:10PM
TOO many variables to give a definitive answer. Mud/muck is your worst enemy. Silt also does not help much. Jet ski's & boats will 'sink' objecta also.
Re: inland lake sink rate?
April 25, 2010 12:18AM
As Tom said there are too many variables. Knowing your lakes is key, I have several areas where there is a hardpan that stops targets but is too deep to reach under normal conditions. Just like the salt water hunters I monitor these lakes/beaches for changes in the sand and often times find the older stuff. It's usually a very small area that happens to clear out some of the overlying sand. When I hit older junk or start getting iron signals where I had not heard them before I hit that area hard.

Tom Z.