Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lots of great knowledgeable people on this forum. What do you do for a living?

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Lots of great knowledgeable people on this forum. What do you do for a living?
June 01, 2015 03:16AM
I trade capital and futures markets for a living.
USAF retired meteorologist - 27yrs. Currently meteorology instructor in Hawaii.
Re: Lots of great knowledgeable people on this forum. What do you do for a living?
June 01, 2015 04:17AM
Professional cat herder and Toto collaborator.
June 01, 2015 05:04AM
Combat veteran of Vietnam with 1600 hrs. flying combat missions such as "Hunter Killer teams, Night Hawk missions and combat assaults. I do what ever I feel like doing when I want to do it. I hunt civil war relics and water detected for the past 38 years. I'm the owner of Finders Keepers in Edgewater Md for the last 38 years. Now trying to get a TV show called Legends of Treasure and I'm very close.
June 01, 2015 05:11AM
I was an auto tech for over forty years, and I loved doing it. I worked on everything it seems like.I co-owned my first shop when I was 18 on the money I earned working part time as a horse holder at Madame Orr's House.
I am now retired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 05:12AM by Jeff (or).
In my Mech job I get notified anytime a Locomotive hits someone or something. UP has lots of crossing accidents - not caused by Engineer but people being stupid. Also a lot of Death by train. I still remember a report - train says they saw a person with their head on the track - they could not stop - takes a long time to stop a train - they hit him and saw him spin past the train. The railroad and local police arrived - the found the guy - he had some pretty bad cuts and bruises on his head and his body - but he was walking and talking. This guy used up all of his nine lives that night. I was excepting the worst was so surprised he was pretty much ok.

Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I put in 39 years on the Santa Fe/BNSF RR as a
> switchman, brakeman and conductor. I've seen a lot
> of life threatening scary stuff through the years
> even seen my life flash before my eyes more than
> once. Only had one fatality when my crew hit an
> oilfield truck at 70mph, that Chevy 1 ton did not
> stand a chance against that General Electric
> locomotive consist and 8,000 tons of fast through
> frieght.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
June 01, 2015 05:38PM
Jeff (or) Wrote:
> I was an auto tech for over forty years, and I
> loved doing it. I worked on everything it seems
> like.I co-owned my first shop when I was 18 on the
> money I earned working part time as a horse holder
> at Madame Orr's House.
> I am now retired.

Great cast in that movie thumbs down
[movieclips.com]
I was a horse holder in high school for a bunch of veterinarians---your experience sounds more interesting smiling smiley
June 01, 2015 05:44PM
Hi Bryanna...

...We worked hand in hand with the mechanical dept....lots of safety rules to follow. That crossing accident I told about, it took 4 hrs. to complete all the investigations and changed crews before we could leave the scene. It took 6/10ths of a mile to stop after hitting the oilfield truck. I will never forget that accident that took one life, especially the sound of impact and discovering the body afterwards. People need to understand that you should be extra careful along RR Xings.
June 01, 2015 07:28PM
Listening to the radio on way to work this morning, another train suicide around here. Pretty selfish to affect innocents in your suicide.
June 02, 2015 05:15AM
Corrections Officer at a State prison.
June 02, 2015 05:34AM
deathray Wrote:
> Listening to the radio on way to work this
> morning, another train suicide around here. Pretty
> selfish to affect innocents in your suicide.

agree, but people or people
Fun thread! I retired about 8 1/2 years ago from Pacific Gas & Electric Company, the major public utility here in northern/central California. Started out digging ditches on the gas side (always loved digging in the dirt) and retired from the electric side as an electric estimator.
Geotech Wrote:
> Professional cat herder and Toto collaborator.

Project management and cleaning up messes? I imagine you wear more than a few hats at FTP.
June 02, 2015 05:01PM
In charge of technology operations at a local financial institution.
Retired so many years I cant remember. I do absolutely Nothing and at the risk of bragging, I do it Quite Well.

( past lives: petroleum geologist/exploration manager, deputy sheriff/swat)
June 02, 2015 09:19PM
Semi retired Drywall contracter. After 30 years of this my shoulder and back said no more. Then manufactured my own Drywall taping tools with my Father. When my Father passed away sold out to a friend of family. Now I go in once in awhile to train newbees on assembly and sell parts whole sale to dealers.
A psychiatric nurse with the State of Michigan at both a maximum security prison and more recently, Kalamazoo Psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. I was the nurse with the needle when things got bad. They ARE coming to take you away, ha ha...

Currently back working in the maintenance field as a lift truck technician (primarily ac electric) in order to have a life with my kids, i.e.. home nights and weekends.

Great thread!
June 02, 2015 11:31PM
I own a sign company and am the only one in it at my house. I have an electronic engineering 4 year degree.

Rick
June 02, 2015 11:33PM
I own a sign company and am the only one in it at my house. I do hand carving, sandblasting, 23K gold leaf and paint signs. I have an electronic engineering 4 year degree.

Rick
I'm a paper maker. I'm a artist that makes paper as thin as 7u & love metal detecting.
Retired corrections officer for the state of ohio... Foster parent 18 years...adopted 2 teen boys in 2013... Have lived in same house since 1979.. Ready for a move. Best part im 48 winking smiley
June 03, 2015 06:44AM
deathray Wrote:
> Waterproofing engineer...errrr roofing contractor.
> We do it on top!

it's better being a pitcher,as opposed to a catcher!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 03, 2015 07:01AM
triplehooked Wrote:
> A psychiatric nurse with the State of Michigan at
> both a maximum security prison and more recently,
> Kalamazoo Psychiatric hospital for the criminally
> insane. I was the nurse with the needle when
> things got bad. They ARE coming to take you away,
> ha ha...
>
> Currently back working in the maintenance field as
> a lift truck technician (primarily ac electric) in
> order to have a life with my kids, i.e.. home
> nights and weekends.
>
> Great thread!

you must be a very strong person mentally!
"spooky sh*t!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 03, 2015 07:13AM
worked 34 years as a test technician trouble shooting
digital circuit cards.company was a "high end" military supplier
to the fed...a lot of the "stuff" was installed in fighters,flying at extreme
altitudes,and the 'fly boys" required equipment that "lights up" when the
'toggle" is actuated in either extreme heat,AND cold,OR they die!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 03, 2015 09:18AM
early on I was an Industrial Engineer. Had no problem working hard and shooting straight. Could not stand office politics and grape-vine management.
Cobbled a career of short runs at so-so companies in various production management capacities and too many lay-offs. Sold insurance. Sold real estate.
Chucked it all and went fly fishing for trout for about 10 years while publishing a newsletter on same with almost no income from it. 2nd wife, Cindy (25 years this August)
has kept it all together for us as a psychiatric RN and best bud!
Worked pt last 11 years (combined) between auto auction and driving cars for Enterprise Rent A Car. Officially retired from rat race 4/29!
Lost my mom (88yo) this past Sunday. I'm 68.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Sorry to hear bout your loss Wayne I lost my mother when I was 23 and I still miss her all the time. Thoughts and prayers go with you.

Started working off the farm when I was ten picking up brush in orchards and picking berries on my uncles berry farm along with picking rock and stacking hay for the neighbors as I grew older. Graduated hs and worked as a stocker dirk lift driver at retail store went on to work at bush's beans and became the certified fork lift instructor. Moved on to building chain link fences then building and repairing the blue harvestore silos. Came home from the field one night after mom had been gone a few years and found dad dead heart gave out had 12 hours to decide if i wanted to farm when morning came I called my boss for the last time and went out to the barn to milk and been walking to work ever since.
Small business owner/entrepreneur - Plaster/Stucco/Sheetrock contractor as of current.

Combined total of 30 yrs in the skilled trades, finished 2 four yr apprenticeships in the 80s and 90s as a Union Carpenter 1st (Local 702) and did my journeymanship as a plastering/stucco technician 2nd

started in the concrete trade in 1980, moved to roofing/siding a few yrs later for about 4 yrs, then on to interior home remodeling, to framing/building/finish carpentry in/of homes, on to commercial construction/steel stud framing the skyscraper type buildings as well as doing the plastering/stucco in/on them and then went off on my own in 2001 which lead to becoming a coin dealer for about 10 yrs while running my contractor business as a secondary income for that time.

I've been metal tectin since 1977 back when I was 14 - one of the 1st machines I ever owned/used was an old used BFO by Garrett that was a hand me down from a buddy of mine that got it as a hand me down from his dad! That thing was a MONSTER -- it weighed about 50 lbs, had like 25 knobs and found mostly screwcaps! lol

I think the 1st NEW machine I ever bought was the old "Coin Hunter ADS" (rolling eyes) cuz what a piece O crap that was!
June 03, 2015 02:58PM
Quality Technician for a medical device mfg for the last 19 years. Great job with a great company. I mostly get resourced as a quality system SME for short term and long term projects. Add in firefighting,quality auditing, base business and engineering babysitting and I can have some fun days. Lot of stress as I'm mostly a walking target but I love my job and the company I work for. We make a positive difference in peoples lives at a time when they need it most.

HH
Mike
drafted@19(vietnam vet)->Navy Air Wing,AQ2->GIBill->BSEE(CalPoly)->various startups->Apple(InfiniteLoop)->retired(@48,1998)....11 years now in Toronto(Dual-Citizen),detecting here since 2006...fun and good exercise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 03:33PM by canslawhero.
June 03, 2015 10:11PM
Fire Dept Lt....almost 30 yrs...gettin' close to retirement!