Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TIME, LIFE, SIGNIFICANCE.....vs......FIELD-TESTING

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TIME, LIFE, SIGNIFICANCE.....vs......FIELD-TESTING
December 05, 2015 11:22AM
I just received another new detector from Nokta..... and the concept has exposed a thought-process worthy of sharing.

It has occurred to me that I (somewhat) rarely receive a detector from a Mfr to field-test........ due to many implications imposed. Mfr's keep me in their back pocket (in reserve)........ until something of significance is worthy of my time (and subsequent write-up). Greatful appreciation!

I am a 'old coins' coin hunter at heart. Yet, I am so heavily involved with Archaeological community(s) that I spend more time seeking/searching/hunting for relics. I am purpose-driven.

As I get older......... the concept of 'time' takes on a new/different meaning. I (now) keep having the epiphany of: "There may never be a tomorrow". ,,,,, "Tomorrow may never come". This reality-check with no uncertainty has re-curved thought-process. Sooooooo/hence............... 'How' do I field-test? "What" do I field-test? And....... "What are my criteria"? Many folks do not want to: head-to-head "compare". This may be due in part to a guilt-driven 'wrongful' (or imposed: unethical) thoughts. This thought-process restricts the passion/drive to break through existing limitations/plateau's. Very inhibiting. My motives are contrary. i NEED to 'know' ""WHAT"" tool is most efficient ........ with the most 'time-saving' value-added primary imposed element............... regardless of useless (probable self-initiated) emotional-generated time-robbing "feelings".
With the primary focus being: Tomorrow may never come.............. I seek hard/cold scientific factual data. I no longer have the time to .... fruitlessly waste time.

I work for the space program. Many times...... it is a requirement to put feelings aside....... in order to technologically advance humankind. ((( You would be scientifically shocked to know/learn how much advancement is stifled .... due to 'feelings' incarcerations. )))

I have just finished assembling this new detector. My criteria still remains the same; yet, with much stronger tenure. I will compare it to it's own brands and to other Mfr's brands. I quest: pass/fail, niche functions, 'percentage and ratio' accolades. In no uncertain terms...... does Brand-X have attributes over Brand-Y. Can the attributes be applied in the real world..... as a 'niche' function.....or otherwise. Will it make even greater/effective use of time....... via opening up doors that have previously never been opened. This applies to any metal detector........ (and/or any device).

This is the basis/mindset unto which will drive humans to new heights.

Never stifle human growth. Some pain/effort may be involved.
Re: TIME, LIFE, SIGNIFICANCE.....vs......FIELD-TESTING
December 05, 2015 11:54AM
Really looking forward to seeing your results. Tom. HH jim tn
December 05, 2015 01:33PM
Your.testing along with your findings/opinions I find both mature and professional.

Always enjoy reading your post/threads.
December 05, 2015 02:10PM
Tom, I've noticed the same thing over the past few years in regards to the age/time issue. Years ago I'd dig every non ferrous signal I swung my coil over. Now I read posts with folks saying "dig all the zinc signals because they may be a gold ring" and I find myself thinking, you dig all the zinc while I move on to the next "good target. It gets to be more of a cherry picking type mentality. Do I dig everything, or because of limited time, do I just try to increase my odds by digging the better sounding targets? I think as we get older, we realize we don't have unlimited time so we must make the best of the time we're in the field.
Looking forward to your testing and the final product.
Tom
December 05, 2015 03:09PM
NASA Tom, as always insightful and the post, in and of itself significant. I also look forward to the results as if this is the detector i am thinking of, I plan it to be my next purchase.

Tom Slick, to say that age determines the type of detectorist you will become may, or may not be true. However, the amount of time and how you use it, does determine which type you will be. Almost all the places I hunt have been beat to death so I take my time and analyze. When its toward the end of the day, I cherry pick, quickly.

Detecting today is more efficiency driven strictly because targets get nearly exponentially smaller. The holy trinity for a great detector is, recovery speed, negate falsing, and depth. Get those into your detector and you have a winner.
Could it be the IMPACT.!!!!!!
December 05, 2015 04:41PM
I want one!!!!!!!!
December 05, 2015 05:23PM
We all have had different detectors in the past...I remember when Tom's CZ3D came out and we were hunting a school and I was confused it didn't work like any detector I had in the past..so NASA Tom emailed me and explained to me what I was doing wrong and right. I started to use the smaller coil and started to find a huge amount of coins between the trash and fell in love with the CZ3. Two freq wow and deep...As time went on new detectors were released and I found the CZ3 to be slow in iron and deep targets reported as iron. But skip to today and we have come a long way. When ever we get a new detector we seem to dig more and find more. And of course Tom gets different results because he has a different approach to breaking a detector down he uses more science then we do and that is a good thing.

But I have learned that when I dig and hunt I am going to dig most targets and when I start to walk over and pass on targets..it's time to call it a day. To me the better the detector is the more sounds I receive in my ears. With the racer I hear a nice mix of some iron with targets but when I take my time and analyze the target and the sound and sometimes the VDI I will dig it..and that takes all but about a minute of my time..I have found more rusted guns and gun parts, spurs and buckles, old rusted locks and keys that clean up with a wire brush on my bench grinder by digging iron mixed sounds.

So testing a new unit makes me think what does it have to do to be better then what we are using now and that we claim is better then sliced bread? I think the deus is a great machine because you can program it and unlike the whites there are just enough changes that are easy to understand. The racer came out and it's a turn on and hunt machine I don't really need to tweak it. It seems the unit was built with everything programmed for us and for me its like the G2 but way better for my type of hunting.

So what is the next new unit...Sometimes Tom's interpretation of a machine and what it does sounds great but a some of us are not on that level...and that's okay. We want to understand what he is writing about so that when or if we are out hunting and get a target a light goes off in some of our heads and we say..yeah now I understand what Tom is talking about. I think Tom did a great job explaining micro jewelry hunting and of course all of his articles were inspiring to me and made me think about how I hunt..

So the next new detectors or software updates are coming out...is it going to be a game changer will we all notice these new machines or updates make a big difference. Can it help us with trash even when relic hunting sometimes I have a lot of trash to deal with can they really give us a tone where we can all hear what a tin can sounds like because it is so different from a square nail or a coin or a relic. It seems some of these detectors are so fast now and unmask so much better then what we have had in the past....and we all want more depth with ID..maybe a PI hybird?

I look forward to Tom's review or test and I think for a company to not run from Tom but to embrace his knowledge is about as good as it gets for all of us..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 05, 2015 05:45PM
Head to head testing is the only kind of testing I have ever engaged in. This is because my motive always is "which one do I want to use?" and only head to head testing on found targets can reveal the answer for me.

However what I often shy away from is posting my findings directly. Rather, the tests simply form the basis for my opinions, which I may share. The reason is that results are so site specific and user intent specific. The results I get testing for gold in magnetite laden soil will differ from the results you (Tom) get in Florida soils on coins. And frankly, it is that I do not bother to set up scientifically unchallengeable tests because ultimately the only person I am trying to satisfy is myself. It is fairly easy for me to prove things for myself. Attempting to present tests in order to prove things to others is a whole order of magnitude more difficult.

When you add the fact that posting any head to head testing always draws fire from multiple directions, from nameless people with unknown motivations, it does unfortunately suppress the free sharing of information that people might otherwise find enlightening. I have often considered what it might take to create a true consumer reports type system for fairly evaluating and publishing results about detectors. To do so properly and with sufficient documentation is actually a fairly daunting task. And since everyone wants everything for free it all goes back to the time thing. Why go to all the time and expense to try and satisfy others not willing to take the time and spend the money to get the answers for themselves?

Which is why I do place great value in and thank you Tom (and others) for taking the time to try and do fair evaluative tests and for sharing them with everyone. Thank you for an often thankless task!
December 05, 2015 06:50PM
I have done head to head testing also..it's a pain in the ass while holding a camera but I want to see and hear what each detector is telling me. Does one give more info then the other? Is the sound more to my liking on all of the same targets. Does one hunt differently in iron and makes it easier for me to understand? Yeah I don't like posting those videos.. The questions I get are what coils what settings and did I air test. I never air test!!! All of those questions are fair to ask...

I have the deus setup for the different types my of hunting I do...loads of iron, less iron, mix of trash and iron, cleaner ground targets wider apart. In Virgina I could swing a half hour with out a target and I knew I was not at a hot spot but I did found round balls and horse shoes and a few axes...What I do is learn the new detector, set it up to my liking by hunting and then bring my other detector and see how they hunt.

I have tested for a company a few years ago and I found a lot of targets that I had missed with my other top of the line detector. It was the F75 LTD and the G2. I loved the G2 till I got hold of the dues and understood how to program it to out preform the G2. The deus preformed better in iron. Then I tested the deus against the G2 and the AT Gold and the deus did a better job again for me. Got the racer when it first came out and tested it with the deus and they were so close that I felt which ever one of those detectors I took out hunting I would feel safe that I wouldn't miss anything my coil went over. Now we have the impact coming next year 2016 and the new update for the deus... My one thought is will I sell the deus with the update or keep it? It is so light and so easy to pack in a backpack and hunt with and wireless is very cool. And what ever Tom is testing could change my mind. I like being at this point in my life because I am still learning but I guess the real test is what we find and keep and so far I'm very happy with the history I have rescued from the ground...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!