Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites MX SPORT

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Whites MX SPORT
January 12, 2016 11:06PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Whoa!!! Stop!!! Slow down...don't get all
> excited

> > 2. A New multi-frequency waterproof wireless
> unit

Big green is technically competent enough to know... wireless will not function in water. That is unless you run a hard wire, "delete wireless feature".
January 13, 2016 12:17AM
showard Wrote:
> MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> -----
> > Des D Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > "Whoa!!! Stop!!! Slow down...don't get all
> > excited
>
> > > 2. A New multi-frequency waterproof wireless
> > unit
>
>
> Big green is technically competent enough to
> know... wireless will not function in water. That
> is unless you run a hard wire, "delete wireless
> feature".
Nice to see you joined up on this fine forum! I don't think there's any doubt that we are all pulling for this MXS..... Please come back often to answer questions and respond to any suggestions we may have. One question I have seen a time or two was - Is the tone break adjustable in the relic mode or preset? If it is preset can changes still be made to make it adjustable?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 13, 2016 02:13PM

Exciting to me, MX Sport has an old 1970's resurrected Nautilus feature "Reject Volume".

You can search in All Metal, however, adjust the volume of targets you have selected for rejection to 50%, 40%, 30% 20% or "0" the audio volume of the targets you have selected for accept.

Just want to point out that this feature hasn't been in hiding. The Tek Omega 8500 has it. You can adjust the volume of any of the categories and use the volume control in place of discrimination or notch, and it works in all filter (deep) settings.

Now the 8500 has to be in Disc mode to do this to the best of my knowledge. I didn't check to see if it works in All Metal, too. I can look tonight.
I expect the MXSport will have to be in Disc mode as well for this to work. Adding disc funtions to true all metal modes have limitations. However, if it is a feature that is tied to a mixed mode feature (thus the reference to Natilus) it would be welcomed.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 02:23PM by Mike Hillis.
January 13, 2016 06:12PM
"I asked White's the correct price but they wouldn't tell!" ( same for Release date )
January 13, 2016 11:24PM
It's on Whites Home page now..
[www.whiteselectronics.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 13, 2016 11:54PM
That a boy White's.
This is where we should have heard about this detector in the first place.

Now White's step out there and offer an extended warranty for a small fee -- transferable or not
Either way something new and refreshing.

Give folks say 6 months from purchase date to purchase if interested.

You could offer 1, 2, and 3 year packages for different dollar amounts.

Give folks a reason to want to keep their detector.
To stay with White's.

And remember this would breed communications between you and a customer- an already paid customer in fact using one of your products
And during this communication process--you may indeed sell more merchandise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 11:57PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 14, 2016 12:37AM
Steve, Will it retain all settings after powering down?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 14, 2016 03:15AM
Why is having a warranty beyond 2 yrs such a big deal? What other electronic devices do you know of that come standard with a 5 yr or more warranty? None of them that I know of. TVs are usually 1 year. Same for PCs. Cell phones are usually 1-2 year too. But when it comes to a metal detector, people get all weary and use a warranty like it is a pivotal life or death situation. I don't get it. Whites has been one of the few manufacturers that have 20 and 30 year old units still running strong and solid in the field. The only problem I've had with a Whites was actually with a battery charger for the TDI batteries. Havent had a problem with their detectors that I can think of.
January 14, 2016 03:33AM
Well Daniel,

IMO the 5 year warranty Xp has with their unit has indeed increased its sales.

Back in the 1970s, care to know what the warranty was on a new auto?? 12,000 miles or one year
Where are they now???

Every time I go to Wally World and buy a toaster or a coffee pot-- at the checkout I'm offered an extended warranty.

Now if a company say builds a dependable unit--- no harm no foul -- meaning warranty repairs would be few and far between anyway-- in ref to your comment on older units still a purring

Could an extended warranty on a waterproof/ water unit -- if above and beyond the competition, breed unit sales??

Remember this is optional to purchasers--- so there is a choice

I have read on forums in many places the following,,, " well the warranty when it expires on my xxx water unit , I just sell and buy another new unit with warranty".

But remember this was when there was really only one Vlf water detector--- what happens when there are more options available from other makers--- they could indeed sell their unit and buy another from a totally different manufacturer.

And lastly and most important
The more folks a company has using their units is a good thing -- no matter how old or new they are release wise--- but a person changing ponies in mid stream going with another manufacturer --- not good.

I think there are benefits here for both manufacturer and purchaser of their equipment.

And to add, this warranty could indeed be offered with the following condition/exception. Extended warranty doesn't apply to coil or rod and attaching hardware, but does include all electronics and the electronics housing and battery compartment.

There are different ways to offer and give folks an option.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 03:51AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 14, 2016 05:53AM
Stock automobile warranties aren't all that great either unless you pay extra for an extension. And even then, most of the time you have to fight tooth and nail to get them to honor it if something does go bad. Trust me...I had a 2013 Escape that spent more time at the shop than it did on the road that I paid for an extension on when I bought it. IMO it ended up being a big money racket for the dealership anyway. In order for the extended warranty to be valid, you had to take it to the dealership for all oil changes and things like that. The dealership in my case, was 30 miles away, and a simple oil change was always a 2-3 hour wait and $75. I could change the oil myself for under $40 and 15 mins but it would have void the extended warranty. This had to be done the duration of the warranty, and every 3,000 miles...so over the course of say 7 years, that would be roughly 3-4 oil changes a year at $75 a pop plus what the extended warranty cost up front. Basically it is a way to pocket an additional $2,000 or more for those worry warts that have to have a warranty for peace of mind. If I buy another new vehicle, they wont be getting any extra from me. It was only after a big rant at the dealership that I got through to them about that stupid Escape and they bought it back and gave a heck of a deal on an F150.
January 14, 2016 06:15AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Why is having a warranty beyond 2 yrs such a big
> deal? What other electronic devices do you know of
> that come standard with a 5 yr or more warranty?
> None of them that I know of. TVs are usually 1
> year. Same for PCs. Cell phones are usually 1-2
> year too. But when it comes to a metal detector,
> people get all weary and use a warranty like it is
> a pivotal life or death situation. I don't get
> it. Whites has been one of the few manufacturers
> that have 20 and 30 year old units still running
> strong and solid in the field. The only problem
> I've had with a Whites was actually with a battery
> charger for the TDI batteries. Havent had a
> problem with their detectors that I can think of.

I am with you on this. As long as the detector is in good shape when I bought it I never really cared about a warranty. In fact I have never sent a detector in for warranty work. I've sent a whites machine back for a coil issue that I bought used and paid out of pocket and they updated the software for free. I paid for the upgrade on the f75 but so did everyone else. As long as it is a machine that still serviceable if needed then I am fine with paying for the work since it happens so rarely. Now on some of this overseas stuff, I might feel differently.
hh
John
January 14, 2016 10:56AM
"I don't agree.
In all my days dealing with Customers and Sales Enquiries, no one ever asked about Warranties.

The only time they asked was if and when they wanted to sell within the 1st Owner Warranty period.

XP sell on [light weight] and [recovery speed] not Warranty.

Just my 2c worth.
January 14, 2016 12:16PM
Well maybe they should consider only offering a 30 day warranty.

I mean it seems some think warranty is a " non issue".
And 30 days should be plenty time to see if a detector has faults.

WRONG way to do business.

I mean warranty periods on detectors sure haven't been getting shorter.

And even FTP offered extended warranty to folks with the F75'upgrade.

Remember this should be an " option" offered--- so folks have a choice.

The 5 year warranty offered with Deus, So this has no impact on the total sale of the unit here and world wide?? Not even the slightest impact??
I wasn't born yesterday.
Why did Xp do in the first place?? Move from 3-5 years on their cute little French thing??

Been on the road lately.
What do you see???
There this auto brand wearing a funny looking H in its grill-- not a Honda either
And another with a 3 letter designation KIA I beleive
The roads are crawling with them as of late.
Why??
Besides their initial costs and actually good'quality--- could the 7 year 100,000 mile conditional warranty be a reason??

Remember there is probably not one single thing a manuacturer can do to boost sales 100 percent with one of their products.
But what if there was something they could do-- to boost sales only 5 or 10 percent? Every percent counts in my book and adds to the bottom line.

Now consider this.

Has the Internet with the different venues for discussing metal detector and metal detecting in general, had an impact on certain unit sales??

I mean consider the Minelabs. Boy there was a bunch of old(er) silver and copper coins being displayed on the different forums-- discovered with them.
And some folks, yes they were stubborn and couldn't believe it was detector performance-- eventually some of these folks finally got to hunt with someone using such instrument, and caved,, they became believers and have since never looked back.

My point is the more folks talk about brand x model y in a favorable light-- the better.

The human psyche is a strange thing.

This word bandwagon comes to mind.

Pure performance may indeed get a company over the finish line, but what if they could cross that finish line a few seconds sooner???

Every second counts too-- Gold Medals are handed out at the Olympics many times, where the winner of the Silver is only a few seconds back.

This detector here don't forget seems like it will be added to an already very short list when it comes to versatility -- being waterprroof.

Any and all actions that can be taken within reason to make it more appealing ---- should be weighed and considered.

Notice this upgrade infact mechanical on the Minelab CTX??

I wonder if the dedicated water hunters using the leaking like a sieve CTX would have indeed if given the opportunity would have bought extended warranty if offered??? And this assuming this supposed mechanical fix was nonexistent.

I know I would have--- in a heartbeat.

This is not to suggest this new detector from White's will leak either.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 12:45PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 14, 2016 12:18PM
I agree with Des, I have never bought an extended warranty for anything and do not base my purchases on the warranty. Will I give a little extra for an item with warranty coverage available possibly but if I am looking at used machines I would give more for a Whites, Garrett, Tesoro or First Texas their cost of repair and parts support of older machines is way better then ML. Can't really comment on the Turkish machines or Deus as they are still current and for the most part under warranty here in the States. I have never really had a problem with my detector I have owned. Most problems will show up early.
JD Digger
January 14, 2016 12:25PM
Warranties are more important on water units. In fact I got taken on an EBay detector. I will never buy a second hand water unit again.
January 14, 2016 01:06PM
I personally have owned a crap ton of detectors over the last 16 years. I have bought 4 new Minelab GPX units at over $2,500 a piece where the warranty is only 3 years...and the only reason I know this is because I had to look it up lol. Warranty length has never even been a blip on my radar for whether to consider a machine or not, no matter the price. Performance is always my #1.

Whites has a proven track record for customer service despite having a normal warranty span. When my charger went bad for the TDI, they not only sent me a new charger but a new battery too. Those TDI batteries aren't cheap. They did it for free. On a used unit....which wasn't suppose to have any warranty at all. That kind of reputation is what helps them sell detectors. Customers know that if anything happens they will be taken care of...promptly...even if the warranty is gone. It is the total opposite of Fisher, in which 10,000 people could call with the same problem and they deny there is any problem at all, lead you around by the nose, and then maybe fix you up right if you voice yourself enough on the forums and social media.
January 14, 2016 01:26PM
If you were talking about a Minelab, I could see being concerned about out of warranty repairs on a machine... Their repairs are expensive...

Whites on the other hand does out of warranty repair work quite reasonably.
January 14, 2016 05:56PM
cadman Wrote:
> If you were talking about a Minelab, I could see
> being concerned about out of warranty repairs on a
> machine... Their repairs are expensive...
>
> Whites on the other hand does out of warranty
> repair work quite reasonably.

Agree
wjs
January 14, 2016 06:00PM
I wonder if the DX-1 probe will work on it?
January 14, 2016 06:21PM
wjs Wrote:
> I wonder if the DX-1 probe will work on it?

"If you look at the rounded part of the control box rear, they missed a WONDERFUL opportunity to [build incorporate] a Pull-Out probe pin pointer!!!
Better yet...a Wireless one!"

So there you go "White's", another brilliant idea suggestion for you at No Fee!!!!

Des D
ex Minelab Design Team
January 14, 2016 06:53PM
Des D Wrote:
> wjs Wrote:
> -----
> > I wonder if the DX-1 probe will work on it?
>
> "If you look at the rounded part of the control
> box rear, they missed a WONDERFUL opportunity to
> a Pull-Out probe pin pointer!!!
> Better yet...a Wireless one!"
>
> So there you go "White's", another brilliant idea
> suggestion for you at No Fee!!!!
>
> Des D
> ex Minelab Design Team
I think a trigger pinpoint would have been good? But we can't have everything we want or the machine would be costing us $2400....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 14, 2016 09:43PM
khouse Wrote:
> I think a trigger pinpoint would have been good?

Yes, that would have been nice. Those keypads might be cheaper and more reliable, but it doesn't agree too well with the arthritis in my thumb. At least, according to the manual, it will be toggle on/off so you don't have to hold it the whole time you are in pinpoint.
January 14, 2016 10:54PM
wayfarer Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> > I think a trigger pinpoint would have been good?
>
>
> Yes, that would have been nice. Those keypads
> might be cheaper and more reliable, but it doesn't
> agree too well with the arthritis in my thumb. At
> least, according to the manual, it will be toggle
> on/off so you don't have to hold it the whole time
> you are in pinpoint.
I don't mind the quick push to lock the PP mode either. They have to stop somewhere to keep this machine affordable.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 15, 2016 03:41AM
Interesting to see this one coming out. I've seen what the AT can do so will be even more interested to see what others have to say when this finally hits some members hands. Keith I hope you have some creeks and streams already picked out down that way.
January 15, 2016 03:03PM
curious if the audio will be more like the MXT or MX5. Do you think it may be based off of the MX5 than MXT?
I was at the point of ordering a F19 or GT+,just hadnt made my mind up as yet, I will wait a bit longer now,lol.
Ive always liked Whites,hope this is a winner.
John
January 15, 2016 10:59PM
Good video, like the part about "legendary MXT usability and features"

[youtu.be]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 11:05PM by lytle78.
January 15, 2016 11:13PM
Whites started a FB page just for the MXS.
[www.facebook.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 15, 2016 11:50PM
Facebook builds more brand loyalty and brand identification than forums.

Sadly however, Facebook is just a river - it flows by - then it's gone.

Forums are like a university. Today's discussions are tomorrow's reference material.

Having said that - we're doomed ! Lol

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
January 16, 2016 12:09AM
I haven't seen anything about headphone. Do we use Whites waterproof phones?,Dose it come with phones? I seen the vido and it didn't show phones.
January 16, 2016 12:33AM
John Wrote:
curious if the audio will be more like the MXT or MX5. Do you think it may be based off of the MX5 than MXT?
From my initial view of the coming MX Sport and then reading then Operators Manual (or what we can see of it) it has been my opinion that, and I sure hope they did, the MX Sport is based off the MX5 and not the MXT/MXT Pro. As I have stated in posting elsewhere, the MX5 was promoted as being based on the MXT "platform", and using the MX5 I was quite pleased, generally, with the final product. It works a lot like the MXT Pro, except it is more digitally-based and lacks what I have referred to as "an analog/digital blend" in audio/response performance of the MXT series (that being the MXT, M6 and MXT Pro and re-stickered MXT All-Pro).

I can understand some of the reasoning behind using the newer display unit that is similar to the lower-end TreasureMaster and TreasurePro, and definitely hope this new model only uses the display housing and features and is NOT based at all on the TreasureMaster or TreasurePro. What little handling time I have had with those two budget-level models left me sadly disappointed with 'new' offerings from White's.

If they used the MX5 circuitry and designed from that, adding the overlooked/ignored need to have a 'Lock-Trac' function and then built on additional features, that could be a good thing. The main thing to consider is just what MSRP they plan to affix to the new model to make it competitive in today's detector market. The retail we have seen flashed around is $1349.00 and I don't care how they might have added a few improvements to what circuitry they started with just to have a waterproof detector, if it is overpriced for the market today, it can be a very sour attempt to regain their long-held standing. "Long held" as we relate it over the time White's has been making detectors and not just the most recent two or three years because I don't think they have been doing all that well.

So if they based it on the MX5, that could have been a great start. Then to add 'Lock-Trac' and a few other creative adjustment features, and develop a new looking and attractive package (using the TM/TP housing with a new grip and battery compartment that are all designed to be waterproof), it just might be appealing to avid detector operators who beach hunt, fresh or salt, or those who enjoy working their detectors in wet, rainy conditions.

John Wrote:
I was at the point of ordering a F19 or GT+,just hadnt made my mind up as yet, I will wait a bit longer now, lol. Ive always liked Whites,hope this is a winner.

John
John, did you mean the Teknetics G2+?

What are you using now?

What would prompt you to go with the Fisher F19 or Teknetics G2+?

What types of detecting do you do that would encourage you to buy a waterproof detector?

With the Garrett AT Pro listing at $699.95 and the AT Gold listed at $799.95, it will be a challenge to counter their sales with a new model priced at $1349.00, so White's is going to face an uphill struggle. I also wonder what, if anything, might be coming from Fisher or Teknetics to compete in the waterproof detector category, and what price point they will be marketed at? For White's sake I do hope the retail is going to rival the prices from Garrett.

Monte