Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox 800 report (164) hours field time/ 48 hours testing -Updated 4-29-2018
April 30, 2018 01:20AM
Thanks!
I'll have to start paying closer attention. Here in AZ things don't sink much. Not enough moisture.

Dean
Very HELPFUL Report Tnsharpshooter!! Many THANKS, Les Robinson.
Well at this point in my decidedly un-scientific experience (limited to only 24 hours) I can say that if you like to recycle aluminum you will absolutely love the Nox.
PhDtector Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well at this point in my decidedly un-scientific e
> xperience (limited to only 24 hours) I can say tha
> t if you like to recycle aluminum you will absolut
> ely love the Nox.

Lol. I will take it because gold and aluminum can ring up the same!

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
Re: Equinox 800 report (164) hours field time/ 48 hours testing -Updated 4-29-2018
May 11, 2018 12:33PM
Can i ask what sort of size alu your talking about, and what it rings up at that's making you dig it?
I know on my AKA a piece of canslaw the same size as a dime, and a mid conductor silver coin has roughly 20 ID points between them.

PhDtector Wrote:
> Well at this point in my decidedly un-scientific e
> xperience (limited to only 24 hours) I can say tha
> t if you like to recycle aluminum you will absolut
> ely love the Nox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 02:18PM by ghound.
Square tabs and small slaw come up 13, same as nickels. I've tried all angles, freqs, headphones or speaker, bobbing coil, lifting coil, and all possible settings, still sounds exactly the same. Exactly. And yes I am noise cancelling as well as using ground balancing and not ground balancing. I know some will say I'm just not hearing the sound difference but......I have even tried electronic sound analysis in both air testing and on-site. There is a difference in the sound pattern that shows up when turning 90d in an air test, but absolutely no difference in the field. Maybe it's just my ground (fairly mild).
Also smashed alum cans and large slaw come up 24 every time. Testing is still ongoing for these so no conclusion yet.
I found one square tab that came up 13 but all the other tabs I tested came in between 14 - 17. I guess it depends on what tabs are used the most in your area.
May 11, 2018 06:32PM
What #(s) does the old steel b.c.'s (crown caps) come up on the Equinox?
D&P-OR Wrote:
> What #(s) does the old steel b.c.'s (crown caps) c
> ome up on the Equinox?

23/24
D&P-OR Wrote:
> ome up on the Equinox?

It depends on which detect mode and or which single freq one is using.
You likely won't ever dig any using park 1 detect mode based on id looking for high conductors.
Park 2 you might dig some of the higher quality ones. But with coil placement they will give hiccup tone (out of center of coil) when swept.

A person can also go to single freq 5 kHz. If a user sees a significant jump in ID = high probability of steel cap. As they will read into the 30s ID most times.

These caps in pic below. User won't dig any of them looking for copper and silver using park 1.
The green cap seems to the the higher quality, a lot like a corona cap. It will read 23 or so in park 2. But again coil movement will flush out as well going temporarily to 5khz.

Using detect modes with higher freqs weighted will cause the higher quality caps to read into borderline high conductive range.

The rusty caps above read 8 in park 1.
The better looking Budweiser reads 15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 02:34AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 12, 2018 11:50AM
There is something bad wrong if you can't tell the size difference in a coin and an aluminum can, smashed or not.

Aluminum screw caps are the only troublesome item that consistently fools me when coin hunting.
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> There is something bad wrong if you can't tell the
> size difference in a coin and an aluminum can, sma
> shed or not.
>
> Aluminum screw caps are the only troublesome item
> that consistently fools me when coin hunting.

I can tell a can, but that's after the tone gets my attention. And steel bottle caps don't sound the same here as they do wherever you are. Check out Dirt Fishing on you tube, trashy park with the 800. He lives about forty miles from me and has the same dirt.
May 12, 2018 05:21PM
Bottle caps and aluminum screw caps were the Achille's heel of the Deus as well but it had a better "round sound" than the E800 and both require pushing buttons to get the decision. The modern trashy park is just not the 800's forte without one resigning themselves to digging a lot of trash they could accurately avoid with other detectors. I know "you don't know what you don't dig" but I'll leave such an esoteric point for you type "A's" to piss in the wind about. The main reason the Etrac and CTX work so well in those environs , IMO, is the difference in the tonal range. The 800 is limited by it's 50 to 500 hz while the 75 to 1200 hz of the other two is much more descriptive,,,,unless it is smashed flat and round , there is a buzz about the screw caps and lots of canslaw that is a dead giveaway that the Nox sees as solid targets. I don't hunt with one but have been shown how the Spectragraph and frequency response on the V3i are equally revealing to White's users.

p.s. I went to a trashy park and dug 10 solid 13 numbers , in park 1 , and had 2 nickels and 8 tabs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 05:46PM by shoveler.
shoveler Wrote:
> Bottle caps and aluminum screw caps were the Achil
> le's heel of the Deus as well but it had a better
> "round sound" than the E800 and both require pushi
> ng buttons to get the decision. The modern trashy
> park is just not the 800's forte without one resig
> ning themselves to digging a lot of trash they cou
> ld accurately avoid with other detectors. I know "
> you don't know what you don't dig" but I'll leave
> such an esoteric point for you type "A's" to piss
> in the wind about. The main reason the Etrac and C
> TX work so well in those environs , IMO, is the di
> fference in the tonal range. The 800 is limited by
> it's 50 to 500 hz while the 75 to 1200 hz of the o
> ther two is much more descriptive,,,,unless it is
> smashed flat and round , there is a buzz about the
> screw caps that is a dead giveaway and lots of can
> slaw that the Nox sees as solid targets. I don't h
> unt with one but have been shown how the Spectragr
> aph and frequency response on the V3i are equally
> revealing to White's users.

Yup. With very few exceptions (some noted above) the Nox is a "dig every vdi from 3 to 24" machine. But still the best if you have only one mid-level machine.
I have to agree that the Nox is just not the best machine for avoiding aluminum. I've used it for a few months now, and compared to my Etrac, I still dig a LOT of aluminum pull tabs, screw caps and misc pieces. And that's using all the tricks...
May 12, 2018 09:28PM
If you are looking for gold in a modern park....you are gonna have to dig aluminum. Period! It doesn't matter what machine you use. If you want to run a modern park, and avoid most aluminum, disc out everything below 19 on the 800. There is a lot more aluminum than gold. The Nox doesn't love aluminum any more than any other machine out there. If it didn't "love aluminum" it wouldn't love gold either ( and then there would be a bunch of griping about that too).

Dean
PhDtector Wrote:
> Yup. With very few exceptions (some noted abov
> e) the Nox is a "dig every vdi from 3 to 24" machi
> ne. But still the best if you have only one mid-le
> vel machine.

If you can avoid that trash on say an AT Pro, what makes the nox better? More depth? Better separation? Perhaps you only find more because you have to dig more trash?
May 13, 2018 03:07AM
coinhunterseth Wrote:
> PhDtector Wrote:
> > Yup. With very few exceptions (some noted ab
> ov
> > e) the Nox is a "dig every vdi from 3 to 24" mac
> hi
> > ne. But still the best if you have only one mid-
> le
> > vel machine.

> If you can avoid that trash on say an AT Pro, what
> makes the nox better? More depth? Better separatio
> n? Perhaps you only find more because you have to
> dig more trash?

You can't avoid that trash IF you are looking for gold or nickels with the AT Pro or Nox or Impact or.....

Dean
May 13, 2018 10:45PM
Most of ya'll know how I operate by now. I don't hesitate a second about sending something packing down the road if I don't like it. I've gone through a bunch of detectors, and can be quite vocal about why I didn't like this one or that one. I.e. the red Racer. When this forum was glowing with love about it, I had to try one and I didn't like it at all. What was it, that 82 ID that seemed to lump EVERYTHING in it? That one didn't last long; neither did the Relic that also got high reviews here. I didn't make a big fuss about it; I tried it, didn't like it, wasn't for me, so on down the road they went. Life is too short to "make due" with something you don't like when you could have something that you do like and enjoy. In my case, I've tried just about every detector on the market with the exception of several of the newer offerings. That is mostly due to me not being as "into it" as I once was. I could have any detector on the market, and I am quite content with the Equinox right now.

I came from having the CTX and eTrac most recently, and I seem to recall when I posted the CTX for sale here, that some said I would regret it. I've not regretted it a single moment to be honest with you. My niche hunting style seems to flip flop with the season or whatever mood I'm in. It seems to encompass relic hunting, jewelry hunting, and the occasional old coin hunt. For me, the Nox is tops on the list of detectors for what I do. It makes low conductors jump out great, which is what you want in a relic and jewelry detector. And it can handle bad soil better than most any other VLF on the market that I've used. It's no slouch on high conductors either; but I admit I'm not a die hard coin hunting guy. For me, it goes deeper than the CTX or eTrac and blows them outta the water for relic hunting. I will admit though I've not had much interest in getting out hunting over the last few weeks. I went once a week ago in the water and that has been it for me. I've gotten into rimfire and pistol shooting as of late.
Folks can use what they want.
Nox sure had(has) some good detectors to match or beat.

Just think if it would have come out 10 years ago,

Too hot for me to detect, and with grass and weeds.
So I have slipped into playing with my guns (sorta). Gun with a string and cables called a sniper R20.

This new one here. Scary as all get out.
If a sharpshooter shows up with one of these and you are indeed shooting a firearm. You might should be on your game.
Cause the crossbow shooter may out shoot you, with you shooting a powder burner.

Don't ask me how I know.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 05:10AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 14, 2018 12:52PM
Good thing the Injuns didn't have them.
May 14, 2018 01:04PM
Everybody here that uses a crossbow have gone to the Mission Sub1 model. It's the one winning all the national 3D archery tournaments that allow crossbows. It has swept the podium at every shoot since it came out. Supposed to deliver sub MOA at 100 yards. I don't know a lot about those but have been at the shop when they were shooting one. It is extremely quiet...as quiet as a compound bow which is saying a lot for one of those. Despite that, they lose so much energy due to a short power stroke, that there's no confidence in killing penetration at those distances. I'd take my chances against one with a good rim fire in 22 Mag or 17 HMR smiling smiley
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Everybody here that uses a crossbow have gone to t
> he Mission Sub1 model. It's the one winning all t
> he national 3D archery tournaments that allow cros
> sbows. It has swept the podium at every shoot sin
> ce it came out. Supposed to deliver sub MOA at 10
> 0 yards. I don't know a lot about those but have
> been at the shop when they were shooting one. It i
> s extremely quiet...as quiet as a compound bow whi
> ch is saying a lot for one of those. Despite that
> , they lose so much energy due to a short power st
> roke, that there's no confidence in killing penetr
> ation at those distances. I'd take my chances aga
> inst one with a good rim fire in 22 Mag or 17 HMR
> smiling smiley

As far as energy.
My bow at 100 yards for actual energy not even close to 22 lr. Trumps big time. Like around double.
Like still clocking around 400 fps at 100 yards.
That's 50 fps faster than the sub one bows shoot off the rail.

A neutered bow speed wise generally will shoot a little more accurate, just like a centerfire cartridge.
But the trade off is worth it when hunting and expecting great penetration at distances.
Look at numbers on lr cartridge standard velocity or even high velocity.

What I was saying, if you grab a general purpose 22lr off the shelf and match up against r20 look out. You may get burned. I have shot enough super high quality 22lrs and marginal quality to know what a person can expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2018 04:10PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 14, 2018 04:43PM
Who said anything about a 22 LR? I said .22 Mag or 17 HMR. I shoot a Hornady 30 grain VMaxx out of my .22 Mag. 2200 fps at muzzle and 1,454 fps at 100 yards with 141 ft lbs of energy. You can cover a 5 shot group with a quarter and one hole it at 50 yards. If center is 50 yards, 1 inch drop at 100.

As for bolt ballistics, my archery ballistics software has the R20 listed in it for out to 100 yards in 10 yard increments. With a 400 grain bolt with 3 inch vanes you are looking at about 375-380 fps at 100 yards and 122 ft lbs of energy max. The R20 is faster than the Sub 1 but I'm just telling you what has won all the tournaments this year...not just won, but has swept 1, 2, 3 spots in all of them. Faster speed means you can miss faster smiling smiley
Target shooting is one thing, hunting in the wild another.
I know, have done both.
The 222 Remington cartridge was the bench rest cartridge for the longest, then came the 6ppc. More accurate generally. And match scores proves this as well as the trophies handed out.

So in the wild there is one little some thing some folks overlook- called trajectory.

So sure a person can take a 222 Remington and shoot accurately to 300 yards if they know how far the critter is.
But a 204 ruger cartridge user or 22-2250 user stands a far better chance of hitting the critter not even really knowing the distance-- more user error distance judged allowed.

Just like my cross bow.
If I set my center dot zero at 33 yards, I can shoot any decent sized deer broadside from point blank out to around 44 yards and it's good nite Irene.
Try that with the slower shooting sub one bow.

I wish game always set still and gave us hunters always a chance to range. It just don't happen. Been there and done saw that.

And when it's darker when say a deer materializes this is where things can get interesting in distance judged error. Lots of times a person will guess farther than the critter really is due to lower levels of light.

So I like the ability to have a more point and shoot bow for deer with my R20 and even my R9.

Btw a 22 mag is a junk cartridge for accuracy and trajectory. 22 Hornet is too.
17hmr and 17hm2 far better cartridges for Efficiency and accuracy.
204 ruger better than 22-250.

The flattest shooting guns not the most accurate.
The flattest shooting bows not the most accurate.

But a flat shooting gun or bow does have its advantages as along as accuracy isn't too far off of excellent(the best).
Out west, shoot that big mullie with my bow with a 125 broad head on it at 80 yards in the side and watch what happens.
Person may could kill 3 whitetails with it with one shot if they are line up right. From even 50 yards away.
Seems to bust concrete blocks.
Crossbow bolts don't lose speed like some folks think with distance. Especially a 400 grain setup or heavier. Get it started off fast and she'll hum for a while.
Around 50 fps for 100 yards ain't too bad.

This bow shown, add about another 5-8fps for mine.
Looks like stock arrow meaning 400 grains total weight.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 12:47AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 15, 2018 02:13AM
*Sigh* You're giving me a twitch David. We could just have a shooting competition. You with your magical rainbow shooting crossbow and me with my "junk cartridge" .22 Mag. I'd put some money up that you come out on the losing end.

.22 Mag is a round that has been around since the 1950s. If it were crap, it would have went the way of other wildcat rounds and been long gone. My gun can one hole at 50 yards and shoot a 5 round group at 100 that a quarter can cover. A sub MOA gun. That is as accurate as I need it to be. Trajectory sucks? My center is at 50 yards. At 100 it drops one inch with the Hornady V Max 30 grains. That's as simple as put the cross hairs on and squeeze the trigger out to 150. It's not as flat shooting as a .17 HMR but is carrying much more wallop than a 17 grain bullet at further distances. I have both the .22 Mag and .17 HMR. And I also have one in the lesser known 5mm Rem Mag...obsolete gun now (no longer make ammo for it) but ballistically on paper, was better than either the .22 Mag or .17 hmr IMO. Say what you want, but I've seen what they all can do for small game and varmints.

Holler when you wanna put your money where your mouth is. I could use the winnings to help get a S&W 629 in 44 Mag.
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> *Sigh* You're giving me a twitch David. We could
> just have a shooting competition. You with your m
> agical rainbow shooting crossbow and me with my "j
> unk cartridge" .22 Mag. I'd put some money up tha
> t you come out on the losing end.
>
> .22 Mag is a round that has been around since the
> 1950s. If it were crap, it would have went the wa
> y of other wildcat rounds and been long gone. My
> gun can one hole at 50 yards and shoot a 5 round g
> roup at 100 that a quarter can cover. A sub MOA g
> un. That is as accurate as I need it to be. Traje
> ctory sucks? My center is at 50 yards. At 100 it
> drops one inch with the Hornady V Max 30 grains. T
> hat's as simple as put the cross hairs on and sque
> eze the trigger out to 150. It's not as flat shoot
> ing as a .17 HMR but is carrying much more wallop
> than a 17 grain bullet at further distances. I hav
> e both the .22 Mag and .17 HMR. And I also have o
> ne in the lesser known 5mm Rem Mag...obsolete gun
> now (no longer make ammo for it) but ballistically
> on paper, was better than either the .22 Mag or .1
> 7 hmr IMO. Say what you want, but I've seen what
> they all can do for small game and varmints.
>
> Holler when you wanna put your money where your mo
> uth is. I could use the winnings to help get a S&
> W 629 in 44 Mag.

Well Daniel.
I encourage you to read up and get around more folks who shoot.
Why?
The 22 magnum is a junk cartridge. Ballistic ally speaking.
A 40 grain bullet was offered (only one) for years.
And it was not accurate.
Sure folks thought it was cause they had nothing to compare it to.
Enter 17hmr.
Why do you think it came to be?

The 22 magnum did improve somewhat ballistic ally with the intro of lighter bullet. But it is still subpar.
At 100 yards with no wind a marksman with a good shooting match 22lr will smoke a 22 magnum for group accuracy.

The 22 hornet is a dismal cartridge. Look at reload tables. In order to get it to shoot even near well it must be compressed loaded powder wise.

The 204 ruger cartridge is far more efficient than 22 -250.
It burns a fraction of the powder, shoots flatter and bucks the wind better and carries nearly the same energy even though the bullet is substantially lighter (way down range).
Way back yonder a gent actually caught on to this with a wildcat cartridfe called a 19 Calhoun.

Polymer tipped bullets used today really has helped a lot of cartridges, some though more than other.

There is an ideal diameter vs length of bullet plus primer ignition that determines efficiency and accuracy in general.

A pre charged air rifle.
The most accurate caliber is actually 20 caliber.
This is coincidental.
Remember the 204 ruger is 20 caliber.

Youn likely will never see a 40 grain bullet shot out of a match barrel 22-250 beat an equal quality barrel shooting a 52 grain bullet at distance. This is because physics leans saying the length of the 52 grain bullet is ideal for the .224 diameter bullet.

The 22 magnum is for power at range not for spot on accuracy. Most quality barrel 17hmr rifles will smoke it badly at 100 yards.

Btw, the primary reason the 6ppc cartridge stole the show from the 222 rem cartridge was the ignition having to do with primer hole.

Take a Winchester model 52 that has quality barrel in 22 lr. It will smoke about any 22 magnum out there for groups.
The action on those 52 winchesters as old as they are and the equipment used to engineer and make are still one of the best out there.

Go look at the matches (results) held back in the 1990s and 2000s in the rimfire shoots. See if you see any 52 winchesters winning? And notice where Remington usually finishes. Seems always behind Winchester 52. Remington never did figure out how to make a proper action for consistency.

Sure you might win a match competing using your 22 mag against other 22 mags.
I doubt you would ever win competing against (real shooters) shooting either 22lr or 17hmrs.

You may not be aware.
Back in the day there was a 5mm cartridge.
It would shoot rings around a 22 magnum for accuracy (remember the 22 magnum was limited to using 40grain bullets.
The 5mm died though.
Why?
American shooters were ignorant plus they didn't like the metric system when it was being talked about us converting back in the 1970s.

The 6mm cartridge is also superior to the 243.
It almost died too.

You know this talk here is actually very relatable to metal detecting/detectors.
Why?
You can only take a rifle based on the cartridge it shoots so far (as far as shooter skill) when it comes to trajectory and accuracy.
And we can say the same thing about metal detector models when comparing and using.
Could it be hearing loss due to repeated gunfire is why tnss doesn't acknowledge the lack of modulation in nox audio?
Just a thought!
May 16, 2018 11:55AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> ome up on the Equinox?

I don't know, but on the Deus if you slowly raise the search coil as you sweep over the target and the ID number drops, it's a pry-cap. Even though some pry-caps sound similar to high conductor coins, there's still that little difference in the audio tone. Checking it by raising the search coil is nearly fool proof.

tabman
May 16, 2018 12:16PM
" I know what,let's have a spelling contest".