Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Headphone recomendation.

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Headphone recomendation.
April 06, 2011 02:53AM
Lookin to get some new headphones, just wondering what everyone else is using. Borrowed someones Killer Bee Wasps and really liked them. I also like the SunRay Pro Golds. I have a set of Black Widows in excellent condition if anyone interested, $80. shipped.
Thanks, Aaron
Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 06, 2011 12:56PM
Hi Aaron,

I've tried quite a few different models out there like Jolly Rogers, Killer B's, Rat Phones and finally grabbed the SunRay Pro Gold's to use with my F75, I have some hearing loss and Tinnitus on top of it and these work the best for me. Last year they had to be sent in for warranty repair so I bought a brand new set for backup. Great customer service to boot.

Mike
April 06, 2011 04:01PM
Has anyone every tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15/3 noise cancelling headphones? You would then really be in your own little detecting world!
April 06, 2011 05:05PM
Hey Mike,

I went ahead and just ordered the ProGolds from Ralph (@ SunRay)he's a great guy. Spent a lot of time w/me on the phone and gave me a lot of great Etrac advice. Its great to be able to talk to someone that is so closely involved to the industry. He knows what's goin on.
April 06, 2011 08:34PM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone every tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15/3
> noise cancelling headphones? You would then
> really be in your own little detecting world!

i checked these out today!..these are "outrageous" headphones
with a price to match!..IF just 'coinshooting" open parks,and ball fields,i would say
go for'em!..on the other hand,relic hunting in "wooded areas"MIGHT still be ok,as they have a"detachable"
cord!.as the asians say!..it's "suuuuup to you!..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 06, 2011 10:24PM
I travel by air often so I could also use them for their intended use... noise reduction on an airplane. The new model "15" sound very good listening to music too, if your hearing allows you to discern the difference. $300 is now the default price for these high-end noise reduction phones.

Bose gives a 30 day no questions asked return policy... maybe I'll have to give them a try!
April 07, 2011 06:34AM
personally ,i believe you would hear the very faint signals at depth with these headphones
even WITH a hearing deficiency,however as with anything else in life,if you want quality,you have to pay for it!
pretty large "gamble" financially,but may pay off!..i called bose,and requested the "specs" on 'em,and was told
the sensitivity information was proprietary !..thought that was odd,but you can be sure they will be some sensitive
at that "price point!"..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 07, 2011 01:55PM
Interesting take on these high-endphones... we'll drop $1500 for a new detector, and some would pay double that to get a real 1" additional depth, but to potentially hear an additional 1" we hesitate.
Go-Rebels.......Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 07, 2011 06:17PM
Yo are sooooooo right!!!!!! The extra depth of high quality detector based headphones is almost never discussed. Just detector depth. And along with your spot on assessment, I can't recall ever seeing any post where depth tests were performed in regards to headphones used. That would be a very useful bit of information if someone had a collection of headphones to do the testing.
April 08, 2011 12:55PM
Love my Sunray Pro-Golds!...Used quite a few over the years and these are my favorites...Developed a problem recently (cord/jack?) and sent them back with a check for return postage. Arrived home VERY quickly with new complete cord/jack installed....Very happy with service on such a fine product.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 01:03PM by M-scope.
April 08, 2011 12:56PM
You're gonna love 'em Aaron.

They're nice and light, nice snug fit, and great sound quality. I loved the fit of the Ratphones and Jolly Rogers but they seemed a little quiet to me, but then again I have hearing issues so they're probably perfect for some.

Have a good time!
Mike
Me, I'll stick with
April 09, 2011 09:20AM
my $40.00 Koss QZ-99's. I have the same problem as Mike with tinnitus and some hearing loss Still hear the deepies plainly. Just yesterday dug a 10 x 1" brass screw at an honest 11" with the G2. Fainter signal but a definite hit. I was amazed at the depth since the G2 was giving an accurate ID reading as well. 10" wheat backs are NO problem and I don't have to crank the volumn up to hear em either.

signed frugal Tom
Re: Me, I'll stick with
April 09, 2011 10:26PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> my $40.00 Koss QZ-99's. I have the same problem as
> Mike with tinnitus and some hearing loss Still
> hear the deepies plainly. Just yesterday dug a 10
> x 1" brass screw at an honest 11" with the G2.
> Fainter signal but a definite hit. I was amazed
> at the depth since the G2 was giving an accurate
> ID reading as well. 10" wheat backs are NO
> problem and I don't have to crank the volumn up to
> hear em either.
>
>
> signed frugal Tom

i have heard that these 'phones are true "sleepers!"
terrific sensitivity,and "short" money!..great combination!
also,heard that they are reasonably comfortable,even in summer conditions,
AND the outstanding lifetime warranty!
tom!..can these phones be found in a "big box" store?,or do ya have to "chase"
'em online?..can't recall seein' 'em at (b.b.) or wally mart!..but maybe at the time i was lookin'
they was out of stock!..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 09, 2011 10:48PM
If my hearing was better , I would opt for the Pro Golds ....I had a set that I sent back that were not loud enough for me ...... I really liked the compressor circuit that they had on them and the quality of the tone , and they were extremely comfortable on my head, but they were not loud enough for me ......I buy empty Peltors now , and rip apart inexpenisve Sony phones whose elements I like the sound of , and I put them in the Peltors .....They are plenty loud and clear, and background noise is at a minimum , even when hunting right next to the waves at the beach !!...... I can thow together a set in a couple of hours at the cost of about $50 and the sound GREAT !!....No compressor circuit or volume controls, but very balanced sound , and LOUD and clear with no background noise ....Jim
Hi j.t.
April 09, 2011 11:21PM
the only place I have seen them is direct from Koss and online. Yup that lifetime warranty is nice. This is my second pair, keep one for backup but it needs one of the silicone filled earcups replaced so will get sent in next winter.

Give a pair a try,,, as you can tell... I HIGHLY recommend them

HH Tom Z
Re: Hi j.t.
April 10, 2011 12:07AM
I have a pair of QZ-99's. Purchased from KELLYCO.
QZ-99...Best Price.....Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 10, 2011 01:02AM
Try Amazon.com
[www.amazon.com]
They cost considerably less than what KellyCo charged. I don't think they carry them anymore. I checked prices on 4-08-2011. Amazon has free shipping on these. Plus.......you can read lots of reviews on the headphones by purchasers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 01:34AM by TerraDigger.
Re: QZ-99...Best Price.....Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 10, 2011 02:07AM
I kind of like Sennheiser HD280 pro's. They sell them at guitar center for $99. They are a full coverage type with a comfortable but tight fit that cuts out a lot of external noise. They are quite rugged and they fold up. They don't have a volume control on each ear like some detector headphones I've seen, but the fidelity is very good and you can use them for a lot of other purposes.....like listening to music, mixing live sound, and studio monitoring.
April 10, 2011 04:52AM
Call me paranoid but I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me when I'm at the lake/park/beach or in rattlesnake country for that matter. With this in mind I use (and love) the DetectorPro Rattler. The sound quality is great, the noise blocking is also very good (for the ear it's on) and it leaves one ear open so it's harder for the boogey man to sneak up on me.
Neugene......Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 10, 2011 05:08AM
You bring up a very critical point. Don't get headphones that might get you injured or worse. Location headphones being used in should be the final determination of what to purchase. Sometimes a person must be able to hear their enviroment.
Re: Hi j.t.
April 10, 2011 07:29AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I have a pair of QZ-99's. Purchased from KELLYCO.

how do you like them?..tom?..do you wear them in the summer?
they appear to be a terrific 'phone for the money..was curious to know if they
are comfortable to wear for long periods...the price point is very reasonable,and the
sensitivity rating is excellent too!..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 10, 2011 07:47AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
> Try Amazon.com
> [www.amazon.com]
> tereophone/dp/B000051SD1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13
> 02397721&sr=8-1
> They cost considerably less than what KellyCo
> charged. I don't think they carry them anymore. I
> checked prices on 4-08-2011. Amazon has free
> shipping on these. Plus.......you can read lots of
> reviews on the headphones by purchasers.

thanks for the tip!..one of the first places i look!
yup!..they have 'em for $40.00 shipped!..sounds "outrageous" to me!
"stu" in florida wants "double" the money!..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 07:48AM by jmaryt.
April 12, 2011 01:54AM
((( j.t. = TRUE! )))

The QZ-99's are HOT, heavy........block out MOST of the exterior world............but............do not crush your ears up against your skull........produce acute/distinct audio with great clarity.
One of my biggest gripes
April 12, 2011 02:02AM
regarding some of the made for detector phones is that they are waaay too tight! Ear Crushers! LOL

You are right Tom, the QZ's area bit heavy and hot in the summer. This is offset IMO by their superior match to the audio output circuits of most detectors. Someone emailed me concerned about the negative reports on the QZ-99's they read on Amazon. Perhaps they are not great audiophile phones but they were never meant to be. That is why Koss markets them as suitable for racing scanners and detectors.

Tom Z
Re: One of my biggest gripes
April 12, 2011 03:06AM
I agree...alot of the detector phones just "CRUSH" your ears, and after a couple hours at least one of them will be throbing. And that is what I do not like about the Black Widows. The Sun Ray Golds really fit nice, really soft and have the leather muffs and weather proof toggles.
April 12, 2011 07:03AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> ((( j.t. = TRUE! )))
>
> The QZ-99's are HOT, heavy........block out MOST
> of the exterior world............but............do
> not crush your ears up against your
> skull........produce acute/distinct audio with
> great clarity.

thanks!..tom!...gonna "score" a pair!
April 12, 2011 01:01PM
I think you'll like them. Remember to always keep the 'stereo/mono' switch in the 'stereo' position.

KOSS has lifetime warranty...........and they mean it.
April 12, 2011 08:21PM
they certainly do,and it is just amazing that they will replace even a $4.95 set
under their warranty terms!..class company!..gotta be a "sleeper"..
ya have "short" money,sensitivity,comfort, life time warranty,
and a "well made" product,what's not to like?..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
dgc
Why is stereo important Tom?
April 12, 2011 08:48PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I think you'll like them. Remember to always keep
> the 'stereo/mono' switch in the 'stereo'
> position.
>
> KOSS has lifetime warranty...........and they mean
> it.
Re: Why is stereo important Tom?
April 12, 2011 09:03PM
Internally ........ most detectors are 3-pin 'stereo' female connectors; subsequently, the phones also need to be in 'stereo' to be congruent with the unit. Otherwise.........no audio will output. Some detectors are internally wired for both......but quality of audio can suffer slightly.