Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: ON THE HORIZON = MDT-8000
January 28, 2019 07:14PM
tnsharpshooter wrote:

Posting pics.
I use tinypic.com.
Create account.
Load your pic
Select size
Upload
Then select all the info in url box for forums and message boards.
Copy and past that info here in your thread.
A preview of your post here will reveal your pic if you want to verify before posting your pic final.
Then post.
Not hard.
Some folks here use other sites to do like flicker.

Does this apply to smartphones? I have no problem with a regular camera but don't know about a smartphone.

Thanks,

El
January 28, 2019 08:21PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m sure u have tried this....if u r using the coi
> l cover u might need to remove and clean it inside
> .

Thanks but that's the first thing I thought of. No difference. Also connection is good.
January 29, 2019 12:55AM
Sorry, I didn't see the same question had been asked previously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 07:03AM by Chris Woods.
January 29, 2019 02:07AM
JR.…… does the unit do this WITH the coil cover installed...…. and also WITHOUT the coil cover?
January 29, 2019 02:32AM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tnsharpshooter wrote:
>
> Posting pics.
> I use tinypic.com.
> Create account.
> Load your pic
> Select size
> Upload
> Then select all the info in url box for forums and
> message boards.
> Copy and past that info here in your thread.
> A preview of your post here will reveal your pic i
> f you want to verify before posting your pic final
> .
> Then post.
> Not hard.
> Some folks here use other sites to do like flicker
> .
>
> Does this apply to smartphones? I have no problem
> with a regular camera but don't know about a smart
> phone.
>
> Thanks,
>
> El

I don’t know.
Not smart enough to own a smart phone. Lol
January 29, 2019 10:39AM
E..... yes you can use a smart phone. It allows you to take a photo for up loading or browse the ones you have. You have to click on your photo at that point to get the HTML for Websites on the left hand side. You then have to copy that HTML......and paste it here.
January 30, 2019 12:53AM
JR & Dew,

Both of you.... set your Grnd Balance to '560'...….. and continue hunting. See if anything changes.
January 30, 2019 08:53AM
Hi.
Does this unit run quietly while "scrubbing" the coil on top of the wet sand or do you have to keep the coil raised above the wet sand to keep it from falsing?
January 30, 2019 11:03AM
Ive got like NO time on it yet compared to everyone else, but im a scrubber........ yesterday i got very little falsing running in AM with the coil on the wet sand.

Tom..... i did an auto GB yesterday and if i remember right in my DRY sand it gave me like 467. NP..... ill run it up to 560. Ill have some questions. Looks like we have some smooth days coming. I tried yesterday .... but the pushed in sand was mound up i dont think i could have hunted with any of the machines and kept coil control worth a hoot. Ill hit a hard bottom beach the next few days.
January 30, 2019 11:49AM
Can't wait to hear your reports / results dew. All my hunting is submerged and I would probably keep her dry too...
January 30, 2019 12:17PM
Dont expect much until i feel a little ..... or should i say a LOT more comfortable with the machine. Ill be pushing buttons for awhile and testing some buried gold and about any target that beeps. i would like to see more results from those with some real hours on the machine. Im not looking for hype...... but if its a good machine im sure the designer would appreciate more sales.... thats what keeps the train moving especially for a small start up.
January 30, 2019 04:17PM
Dew...….. ok. I have you set up on some fairly mild settings...……. but...…. once you start to get some time on your unit...… you will find that you will start to increase the settings/performance. IF the unit starts to become 'chatty' (from 'wanted' overdrive)……. then try both Ground Balance settings. Your '467'...… and my '560'.,.,.,.,.,.,. to see if there are any 'stability' differences between these two Grnd Bal settings.
January 30, 2019 05:59PM
Now for that BLK sand setting Tom or anyone. I made the statement mine is very smooth when the coil runs on the wet/dry sand. So i decide to try some adjustments in the dry sand. I first up the T to -1.... still smooth...... so i also uped the sensitivity to 7..... then 8..... then 9. Even at 9 in the dry sand i was getting very little ground or EMI feed back. Awww..... but then i turned off the BLK sand. I had to reduce my sensitivity to 5 and even with T at -2 it was still chatty if my coil ran on the sand like i do.

I did bury a 3 gram 14K size 9 1/2 yellow gold band in the wet sand at a tad over 12" flat. I was on the high end of the wet sand but occasionally the water would rush up there. I was getting it to the point i would have checked running with my coil on the sand..... but bring it up and it disappeared. I was using Toms settings or -2T, AM, -30 disc, salt 27, blk sand on, 18Khz and 6 sensitivity.
January 30, 2019 09:03PM
Dew, just for grins, next time toggle through all frequencies and see the difference on the ring. My findings are that highest is not always best on deep gold. In my test 12 hit harder than 18. It may not be the same for you, but it is so easy to check...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 30, 2019 10:46PM
Will do Tom. Now tell me something about this black sand mode. Just curious if it’s possible shovel nose switched out of it. Still pushing buttons it’s a process ....but u just get antsy to hunt lol. Machine moves well on the wet and dry sand. Battery sure lasts too. Getting used to the lower shaft position on the coil....only flip I’ve gotten thus far is in the hole. I like the size and design of the coil as well.
January 31, 2019 12:44AM
Dew,

That's the kind of data I'm looking for..... with your 3 Gram gold ring. Two things stand out:
Your only on Sens '6' with Thresh on -2. (Mild settings).
And...… close-to.... and/or 'in' the saltwater splash/slosh. (Most other units lose quite a bit of depth/performance 'in the splash').
January 31, 2019 04:49AM
Hey Dew.
At first it is easy to flip a setting and not be aware of doing so. I have checked the settings so often that I can now do it with a glance.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 31, 2019 06:18AM
I've put about eight hours on the Tarsacci now. Until we get a good storm, the wet sand won't be very productive, so I've been working the rock fields at the beach. There are hot rocks everywhere at this place which limit depth and mask targets on all machines. The Tarsacci has been doing well here and keeps up with other detectors. Most people are using the Equinox and CTX. Since there is no dry sand around for me to ground balance and I haven't bothered to drive to a dry sand beach yet to do that, I've just been running my GB at 500 and it seems fine.

The hot rocks make so much noise that I prefer to use Disc mode. Freq at 12-18, Salinity 27, Sense 6-7, Disc 0, Threshold 0.

The machine runs nice and quiet. Best find in the rocks so far is a 1909 Barber Half. I noticed that whenever I get away from the hot rocks and into the wet sand, the depth capability is incredible. I think when we finally get a storm and I can get back to hunting the wet sand, the Tarsacci is going to out perform all other detectors.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the 8000 to see through these hot rocks, I'd love to hear them.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 01:49PM by Badger in NH.
January 31, 2019 10:20AM
I like AM mode......just because of the longer sound. In disc that bell tone is a bit short to me.... also arent your getting a bell tone off iron before the iron tone.... maybe even on the hot rocks? That throws me a bit wet sand hunting over iron... it first throws a poss digit (wrap around) then repeat swing starts giving iron.... raise the coil off the sand and its a better iron signal. AM likely isnt going to work for me in the water where i cant see the screen.... i need that second tone. Disc works ok, but im kind of liking mixed mode..... iron stands out. Starting tomorrow i believe i can get some quality water time in. Im wanting to take that same ring in the water and bury it 9" and see what i get. Then turn it on edge. I also want to play with the salt setting. Ill be doing this on a beach that in the water the sand has an almost wet concrete texture and turns hard pan quickly.

Badger are you using Blk sand on? We dont have a way to notch those wrap around digits..... so have you tried some iron disc or increasing your threshold to -2? On hot rocks normally its a sensitivity issue on the rocks near the surface. Id also play with your GB..... maybe auto GB.
January 31, 2019 01:35PM
I get no iron or hot rock signals in Disc mode using 0 discrimination. It is completely silent and only gives a bell tone on non-ferrous and the occasional nail or small piece of lobster trap which sneak into the non-ferrous range. I know there is iron down there because I have dug a lot of it with other machines but so far, iron hasn't been a problem with this machine.

The hot rocks are everywhere in these beach rock fields. In Mix mode, I get hot rock signals on every swing making it difficult to pick out the bell tones. Disc mode is nice and quiet. I think someone said that AM and Mix modes have no depth advantage over Disc.

I haven't tried Black Sand mode much yet because I didn't think it applied to hot rocks. I will do some testing next time out to see if it has any affect.

I can't wait to use AM and Mix when we start hunting the wet sand. Still waiting for that storm. Nothing much happening in the 10 day forecast. Surf will be nearly flat this weekend. That usually pushes sand in to cover everything up. Even covering up the rocks we've been hunting.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 01:56PM by Badger in NH.
January 31, 2019 02:21PM
AM...disc....or mixed ....am I not correct there is no depth depth diff persa those are just the tones that the machine allows to be heard thru the headphones. I say persa.... because some mode may chop a signal or respond differently which some catch and others may not.

Here a long hard tide swing can change things fast depending on wind direction it can push or pull sand ....and that differs if the beach is flatter or high slop. These high tide swing can move more sand South....with a natural long shore drift compared to summer where we get a bullied up from South winds stopping the natural movement. Long tides can increase the wave heights as well during low tides. Lower water level hitting a near shore rise....causing a cut.
February 01, 2019 01:45AM
Badger...…… For your hot rocks. (Depending on composition). Leave your Salt Balance alone!.... keeping the detector 'balanced' to the salt. BUT...… you can alter the Ground Balance to rid your hot rocks. Perform a Ground Balance on a hot rock...… and go from there. See if that helps.

Dew...………. Yes.... correct. Of the 3 Modes (All Metal, Disc, Mixed)…… there is no depth gain/loss; but/rather..... only a selectable personalized audio preference...… yet/however...… I do find that I can run Sens a bit higher in All Metal mode..... which THEN presents better performance/depth. This is also to say; If all settings remain the same...… then the performance will remain the same... throughout all 3 of the Modes.
…... And ……. I'm glad that you discovered that "Black Sand" invoked..... gives you substantially better ability to run much higher Sens settings.... and better Threshold settings. . . . . . . . even though you have the exact opposite of black sand; your sand is nearly pure white...with near-zero mineralization.
February 01, 2019 01:51AM
ShovelNose…… did Dimitar e-mail you? We GOTTA get your possible problem …. resolved!
February 01, 2019 03:58AM
Tom your last post left me a little confused. Keeping in mind that I'm an inland hunter, are the rocky areas that Badger said he is hunting not dry sand/soil? If so why would you use the GB setting to balance out the hot rocks rather than the Salt setting like the manual recommends?

FWIW, and I may have mentioned this already, I've also noticed that even though the Tarsacci seems to handle audible EMI better than the average bear, the Black Sand setting helps to settle the detector down when audible EMI is present allowing higher Sensitivity and Threshold settings in those environments as well.

On a side note I recently got my Tarsacci back from Dimitar and the temperature here is supposed to climb the first of next week. Hopefully I'll be able to hook up with Daniel, hit his hot bullet field again and report our findings.
February 01, 2019 09:51AM
Chris..... i agree. I said it earlier, i was doing settings in my living room the other day...... my Nox goes nuts there..... and i had blk sand on. So it does really help with EMI....... i was in 18K. Also, i believe Badger said he turned on salt and it helped with the hot rocks.

My local sand isnt as pure as say Siesta Key Tom. GB .... even the color of the sand is different locally. Ive got a pretty good shell base that runs half way up the beach just a few feet under the sand. Auto GB jumps from say 460 up to 780 depending on where you GB. I get your point about AM...... much like an Xcal in PP mode you can run much higher sensitivity...... and by the way it sounds very much like the Xcal in PP mode.... exactly what i had hoped for...... i like that.

I did switch thru the freqs yesterday on that buried gold ring. Pastom...... the lowest setting lost a good bit of depth ..... 12 did seem to be a tad better depth... again that ring was down around 12" with the water going over it.
February 01, 2019 01:21PM
Dew and Chris - No, the hot rocks I'm hunting in are on the wet beach so Salt mode needs to be on anyway.

I'm going to try adjusting the GB to the hot rocks this weekend to see if it helps. It's interesting how Tom says that ground balancing on the dry sand is so important and at the same time says to ground balance out the hot rocks which you would think might throw the ground balance way off in relation to the salt. I hope it works without killing performance too much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 01:27PM by Badger in NH.
February 01, 2019 02:20PM
Badger/Dew...….. If you "Ground Balance" to the wet-salt...… this will skew the Ground Balance more towards the wet-salt. . . . . . . . which is wrong. LET THE """SALT BALANCE""" DO THAT!!!! And let the Ground Balance 'balance' to the minerals..... and NOT the alkali !!! (((That's what is neat about the Tarsacci))).
February 01, 2019 04:59PM
Thanks for clarifying that Tom.

It makes perfect sense now. Whether we ground balance to the dry sand or hot rocks, either way we are ground balancing to the minerals. There are tons of these same hot rocks above the high tide line. I can probably ground balance to them (away from the wet salt environment) just as I normally would on the dry sand. Then proceed to hunt the wet hot rocks in the tidal zone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 05:03PM by Badger in NH.
February 01, 2019 09:05PM
…..….and if you Ground Balance out the hot rocks...… you will experience much better see-through.
February 02, 2019 11:16AM
I spent 10 hours in the wet sand and water yesterday. I understand what you are saying Tom. Now, are you talking the first time you use it on the beach? Like yesterday, the sand was not dry..... it was saturated from rain so when you GB...... do you turn OFF the salt GB? If so wont that wet sand do the same thing? If you set ..... say the Salt GB at 27 (which was very close) and its on, why would it see the salt regardless of where you GBed? Is there be a different reaction from the minerals neared the water.... are they LITE up more regardless of the Salt GB being ON or OFF.... than further away? Do the guys using it when wet sand hunting Salt GB over the wet sand rather than in the water? I know for some its going to be difficult to get a good reading with waves on both coasts. I also had a hard time getting the machine to give me a GB. I moved around on the dry sand and when it gave me a GB..... it varied from 460ish to 780s. I had both BLK SAND and Salt GB 27 ON. So i switched it to 560 which Tom recommended and hunted. If you bump up the sensitivity or threshold....should you re-GB both?

I noticed Salt GB..... seemed about the same for 18 and 12kzh..... but 9khz was about 3 digits higher. There was also an increase of a few digits (2 to 4 depending on the khz) in the Salt GB between doing it at 18" or out there just above your waist. What i did when Salt GBing... id hear the ramp up pumping the coil..... id adjust it until i hear it go away. Then id go back 1 digit just to see if it ramped up slightly. If it did....i go back up to the next digit. I also see what Pastom ment about the screen at a glance. Id go to set something like Salt GB...... if thought to long... then went to UP or Down.... its take a few seconds to realize it went back to VOLUME and i was turning it DOWN lol. Let me also add 9khz is a very workable freq in the water that can run higher settings. It may loose a tad of depth over the other freq (based on my test of that 3 gram ring)..... but if they have to be turned down or dont see thru the minerals as well in the water.... then it maybe a good trade off. thou im not certain what gold will be lost..... vs what larger gold might be found.