Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
March 24, 2023 12:53PM
DigDugNY, Yes, each search mode has its own settings that will not carry over to other modes when you switch to them. Each mode will retain the when you shut the machine off. One other thing to do is turn the iron volume down to about 2 and turn the horse shoe on while hunting, it helps when hunting in iron areas. Bring a dime with you and bury it in the iron area's just to get an idea of what to expect when using the manticore.

And Steve is absolutely right that what you're planning on doing could be very difficult especially in the heavy iron areas. The sites I've been going to are public areas and have been hunted hard, many of them I've found nothing new with the manticore. However a few places I have found buttons right around the cellar holes that I and others have missed with prior detectors.

I really wish Minelab would release the smaller coil for the manticore, I could really use it for some of my sites.
April 05, 2023 01:05PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once the plug 'wicks'........ the plug will have a
> film of saltwater on it. Then.....................
> the next time the plug gets hit with saltwater....
> .... even only the rubber/insulation part of the p
> lug....... it is still "saltwater electrically con
> nected" to the metal part of the 1/8" stereojack..
> ...... and you may incur audio squawking. I seem t
> o recall having this with a MXT.
> I'll look into this on the Manticore.

Hello Tom, I didn't know if you have had time to look into this. I would also like to add that I used a new set of the ML waterproof headphones and noticed the same positive response when entering the water. I wanted to rule out anything abnormal with the Tony E. headphones I have been using. The Nox never reacted this way when the salt water touched the plug where it enters the pod. Curious as to if it is a result of more power or something else, or if anyone else is experiencing this? Thanks Bob K
April 08, 2023 11:44PM
Bob........ I FINALLY, FINALLY got a chance to test this.....at a saltwater beach. On my Manticore...... I am not incurring the problem. . . . and with multiple tests. BUT....... there's a caveat. My headphone jack plugs directly into the female stereo connector ...... but WITHOUT "threading in" to the headphone female connector on the back of the unit. THIS may be where the problem resides. The threaded connector is where 'Ground' can be located. . . . . which would be where the problem may reside. The problem may be: headphones improperly (from the Mfr) grounded............ OR............the Manticore might have a floating Grnd.
I will look into this a bit more..... in the near future.
April 09, 2023 01:16AM
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your investigation. Two different headsets, both with the same result. A definite positive response that can and does make you stop in your tracks thinking it is a target.
April 11, 2023 07:20PM
Tom,
Saw a post on a Facebook group where a member said they got a response from minelab in regards to the iron falsing some seem to run into. The minelab rep apparently said that when a software update is released it is supposed to have a new audio setting that should help distinguish the falsing from actual good targets. Is there truth to this?
April 11, 2023 07:46PM
I hope the update comes soon, I was at an 1800's foundation on Saturday, carpet of nails everywhere. I had a great signal 90+ when swinging all directions and on the target trace it was a nice small dot no bleeding from the iron range.

I had a feeling it was just a bunch of nails because the signal was coming from between a bunch of foundation rocks and I know rocks have a tendency to distort signals. But I had to dig the signal because it sounded so good, and after removing all the nails the signal was gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2023 07:46PM by vipergts323.
April 12, 2023 01:39AM
We are always trying to invent/advance/improve!
This is about all I can say....... for now.
April 12, 2023 03:05AM
vipergts323 Wrote:
> I hope the update comes soon, I was at an 1800's f
> oundation on Saturday, carpet of nails everywhere.
> I had a great signal 90+ when swinging all directi
> ons and on the target trace it was a nice small do
> t no bleeding from the iron range.
>
> I had a feeling it was just a bunch of nails becau
> se the signal was coming from between a bunch of f
> oundation rocks and I know rocks have a tendency t
> o distort signals. But I had to dig the signal be
> cause it sounded so good, and after removing all t
> he nails the signal was gone.

For the record: I was on the Beach Yesterday, and I dug two Bobby Pins with The DEUS 2 that ID'd at 54 range>>>so there is that!

I have not dug a bobby pin with the Equinox in 4 years, and none with the Manticore in 50 hours.
April 12, 2023 10:40AM
midalake Wrote:
> vipergts323 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hope the update comes soon, I was at an 1800's
> f
> > oundation on Saturday, carpet of nails everywher
> e.
> > I had a great signal 90+ when swinging all direc
> ti
> > ons and on the target trace it was a nice small
> do
> > t no bleeding from the iron range.
> >
> > I had a feeling it was just a bunch of nails bec
> au
> > se the signal was coming from between a bunch of
> f
> > oundation rocks and I know rocks have a tendency
> t
> > o distort signals. But I had to dig the signal
> be
> > cause it sounded so good, and after removing all
> t
> > he nails the signal was gone.
>
> For the record: I was on the Beach Yesterday, and
> I dug two Bobby Pins with The DEUS 2 that ID'd at
> 54 range>>>so there is that!
>
> I have not dug a bobby pin with the Equinox in 4 y
> ears, and none with the Manticore in 50 hours.

Are you going to sell your Deus2 now?
April 12, 2023 01:53PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------> Are you going to sell your Deus2 now?

Not for coughing up a Bobby Pin [or two].

However, I am very unimpressed with the use in Black Sand and am still struggling at the crappy idenification and the way fringe targets sound.
April 12, 2023 03:29PM
ozzie Wrote:
> midalake Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > vipergts323 Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > I hope the update comes soon, I was at an 1800
> 's
> > f
> > > oundation on Saturday, carpet of nails everywh
> er
> > e.
> > > I had a great signal 90+ when swinging all dir
> ec
> > ti
> > > ons and on the target trace it was a nice smal
> l
> > do
> > > t no bleeding from the iron range.
> > >
> > > I had a feeling it was just a bunch of nails b
> ec
> > au
> > > se the signal was coming from between a bunch
> of
> > f
> > > oundation rocks and I know rocks have a tenden
> cy
> > t
> > > o distort signals. But I had to dig the signa
> l
> > be
> > > cause it sounded so good, and after removing a
> ll
> > t
> > > he nails the signal was gone.
> >
> > For the record: I was on the Beach Yesterday, an
> d
> > I dug two Bobby Pins with The DEUS 2 that ID'd a
> t
> > 54 range>>>so there is that!
> >
> > I have not dug a bobby pin with the Equinox in 4
> y
> > ears, and none with the Manticore in 50 hou rs.
>
> Are you going to sell your Deus2 now?

You're on a salt beach? Inland, I found the D2 to be the best unit for ID. Practically every target that reads a number in the ground, the same number it reads in the air.
I have not been on a salt beach yet . . .but I have the Tarsacci for that.
April 12, 2023 03:34PM
ozzie Wrote:

> You're on a salt beach? Inland, I found the D2 to
> be the best unit for ID. Practically every target
> that reads a number in the ground, the same number
> it reads in the air.
> I have not been on a salt beach yet . . .but I hav
> e the Tarsacci for that.

All I hunt is Salt Beaches.
April 15, 2023 03:49PM
I saw it posted somewhere, but can’t find it. My manticore power on tone/jingle stopped making noise. Is there a reason for that?
April 16, 2023 08:02PM
I tested mine today and it won't play the jingle if I had the headphones connected when I last turned the manticore off. If you turn off wireless headphone connection on the manticore and turned the manticore off then on it will play the jingle.
April 16, 2023 09:39PM
vipergts323 Wrote:
> I tested mine today and it won't play the jingle i
> f I had the headphones connected when I last turne
> d the manticore off. If you turn off wireless hea
> dphone connection on the manticore and turned the
> manticore off then on it will play the jingle.

Thank you!
April 17, 2023 12:59AM
I have now been asked (4-times)......what our primary intent/target was.....for the wireless bluetooth ML-105 headphones.
Answer = Audio quality first!
April 17, 2023 10:51PM
I use earphones 99% of the time and most of that time the Manti is submerged. I have been doing some testing in my back yard recently, with the external speaker only, and after about 5 minutes the external audio just about goes away. Everything starts out loud and clear with the volume at 25 but after a short time I have noticed a little "pop" sound and the audio drops to around a "5". After going in the house and turning it off for 10 minutes or so everything is OK again. I go back outside in the sun and the same thing happens. This has occurred 3 times in a row now and I recall the Equinox having a similar problem that required 'Burping". I think when the machine warms up in the Florida sun, a pressure difference occurs not enabling the external speaker to work properly. I have plugged the earphones in when this happens, and all is loud and clear through them. Just no external speaker. Any thoughts on this?
I'm thinking a call to Minelab repair might be in order to address this as well as looking into the false audio response from the headphone jack when entering the water. Tom D mentioned a possible ground issue with that anomaly. I have mentioned this issue in an earlier post.
Thanks for any feedback! Bob K
April 18, 2023 02:20AM
Hmmmmmmmm. There may be a pressure difference BEHIND the speaker..........VS..........outside/ambient atmospheric pressure. Next time this happens.........take a 3mm allen wrench and unscrew the 4 screws under the pistol-grip. (This removes the pod from the shaft). Then...... carefully slide out the battery compartment bung. It's the large diameter (oval shaped) plastic O-ring plug that holds the batteries inside the unit. THEN TEST THE SPEAKER!

I did manage to try one more saltwater submersion test on a production Manticore; yet, did not find the results that I was looking for. I should be able to perform another test...... within the next few days. Will advise!
April 18, 2023 05:28PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Hmmmmmmmm. There may be a pressure difference BEHI
> ND the speaker..........VS..........outside/ambien
> t atmospheric pressure. Next time this happens...
> ......take a 3mm allen wrench and unscrew the 4 sc
> rews under the pistol-grip. (This removes the pod
> from the shaft). Then...... carefully slide out th
> e battery compartment bung. It's the large diamete
> r (oval shaped) plastic O-ring plug that holds the
> batteries inside the unit. THEN TEST THE SPEAKER!
>
> I did manage to try one more saltwater submersion
> test on a production Manticore; yet, did not find
> the results that I was looking for. I should be ab
> le to perform another test...... within the next f
> ew days. Will advise!

Hi Tom... I tried the Manti again in the back yard with external speaker on. After 5 minutes the speaker lost volume as in the past. So... I loosened the 4 screws and a lot of water come out of the pod. Probably 1 to 2 ounces. It hasn't been in the water in 3 days. I thought I'd try it again WITHOUT removing the bung. Problem solved. I dried everything off, tightened the screws, tested and left the machine turned on lying in the sun for 15 minutes and all is fine. I repeated this several times. Apparently, the abundance of water that collected and stayed in the pod handle had something to do with the pressure difference. Thanks for your help. Keep me posted on the ground issue. Thanks!
April 19, 2023 10:18PM
Here's a short video using the Minelab Manticore
Youtube Video
April 19, 2023 11:40PM
Mike........ VERY good! Many folks look for 'solid' hits...................but.......................in the real-World................. nails abound! (And splatter the 2D screen.......and 'span' the audio response).

Bob.I FINALLY concluded the testing that I needed to do...... in an effort to ID your occurrence. Because of your situation...... you are using a stainless steel threaded headphone connector that connects (threads) into the back of your Manticore housing/pod. It is when the saltwater touches your metal threaded headphone connector .... that is causing your audio response. I wanted to make sure that I emulated exactly the same circumstance(s)...... so as to replicate/duplicate your observation. Sooooooo......... today, I used a threaded set of headphones.....screwed into the back of the Manticore control pod. When the metal connector enters/touches the water......... I incur zero squawking/squealing in the headphones. This leads me to two thoughts:

1. Strong possibility that your specific headphones have a floating ground/shield......... which means: not grounded. Open ground. This could cause the problem.
OR
2. Is it when the metal coil connector ..... on the back of the control-head/pod....touches the saltwater......,,,,,,,,,......... and THAT'S when you hear the audio squawking/squealing?

These are the only 2 things remaining......that it could be.,.,.,.,.,.,., that I can think of.
April 20, 2023 02:59PM
Tom I made a huge mistake! It IS the metal coil connector... on the back of the control-head/pod!
When IT touches the saltwater OR when I touch it, while standing in salt water it squawks. I am absolutely sure of this. Thanks for understanding and looking into this!
April 21, 2023 01:22AM
Hi Bob........ NEVER a problem! I suspected it might be the coil connector (threaded metal hull....that screws into the back of the Manticore control pod)...... from the beginning; yet, I, I, I, needed to make SURE....... for myself ..... ALSO!!! BUT........ in the end: PROBLEM = IDENTIFIED!!! We're aware of this......and "Question" if it poses any real problem.......in the real-World. "Some" engineering efforts are taking place ....about this exact condition. , . , . , . ,and sinking some engineering time/labor into 'testing-and-resolve'...... IF, IF even needed! My units incur this exact phenomenon; yet, does not appear to pose any performance issues. BUT....... still investigating! Manticore is SUCH a high-powered platform........it is entering into a World of where we have never been; hence/subsequently....... there are some unique, mild side-effects. (The benefits far outweigh this mild/minor side-effect).
April 23, 2023 02:01PM
Well I've been out using and learning this new Manticore. I've got a site that's never been hit. So there are cherries everywhere. Here's a short video of some of my better finds and I think there are bits in there for new users as well.

Unleash The Beast
April 23, 2023 02:37PM
Mike,

You are doing extremely well with the Manticore. That 1870's school house is giving up some wonderful old coins and you merely scratched the surface of this site. I can hardly wait to see what else you unearth!!
April 24, 2023 03:14AM
STUNNING coins Mike!

Yes...... each time you switch over to All Terrain High Conductors..... AND Recovery Speed = 2.......... and sweep the coil a bit slower,.,.,.,.,.,.,., all of your coins/targets become very clear/loud. This is exactly how I hunt.......and........achieve the exact same performance resultant.
Your mineralization must be fairly mild.
April 24, 2023 10:41AM
A barber, a large cent, a SL quarter, I couldn't watch any more as I was filled up to the top and about to overflow with Holy Cows! A feller can only take so much. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to watch the rest. Well done, great site!
I thought my last detector would be the Deus2. I'm not so sure now. Tom D, can you convince me to step over the line, break down to own a Minelab?
April 24, 2023 11:00AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> STUNNING coins Mike!
>
> Yes...... each time you switch over to All Terrain
> High Conductors..... AND Recovery Speed = 2.......
> ... and sweep the coil a bit slower,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
> all of your coins/targets become very clear/loud.
> This is exactly how I hunt.......and........achiev
> e the exact same performance resultant.
> Your mineralization must be fairly mild.

Interesting. Does that method work for Low conductors setting also? I'm hunting in heavy iron... with recovery set at 5-6 average depth is 25 cm so that is very good... but...
April 24, 2023 07:48PM
Steve....... the Deus-2 will truly give the Manticore a run-for-the-money; yet, the Manticores audio is 'cleaner'. To me.........the audio is more 'telling' and intelligible.

Shelton..........yes. Mineralization 'could' hinder this resultant; yet, , , , testing different Recovery Speeds on a few different DEEP targets........ will tell all !!!
April 25, 2023 09:10PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
testing different Rec
> overy Speeds on a few different DEEP targets......
> .. will tell all !!!

YES IT WILL...... smileys with beer