Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
June 20, 2023 02:35AM
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yena7YXnMU

IFFY signals is impressed with this update. 6 min video on seperation , and also shows the deus performance on this test.
June 21, 2023 12:23AM
Del...... yes...... it seems like big box stores have a higher propensity to having Manticores in stock.
Because of this........ I sure am receiving a LOT of repercussions from exactly this. Some users are finding....... if they want to acquire a Manticore....... they nearly have to go to big box. Then........ big box cannot answer any 'tech support' questions....... or even basic questions regarding the MC. There is no sales-pitch...... nor a after-the-sale ....customer-care.
But......... because I am not in the 'bean-counter' part of the ML equation . , . , . , . I'm out of THAT loop! I have no idea what the Marketing Dept is targeting.
June 21, 2023 02:03AM
Manticore strikes an oldy.

[m.youtube.com]
June 21, 2023 11:51AM
Good video capture!
June 21, 2023 02:46PM
Short video showing old pistol located with Manticore. With pistol being restored with some work.
See comments section of video for actual description/model.
[m.youtube.com]
June 21, 2023 06:28PM
I've updated the machine but was there a headphone update? I downloaded the software but it didn't show an update for those. Haven't seen it posted anywhere if it was an update for both or just the manticore itself... Thx
June 21, 2023 06:46PM
Mike K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've updated the machine but was there a headphone
> update? I downloaded the software but it didn't sh
> ow an update for those. Haven't seen it posted any
> where if it was an update for both or just the man
> ticore itself... Thx

You need to update both the detector and headphones.
You use one update after downloading to update detector.
You use one update after downloading to update headphones.

Sounds like you just downloaded the detector utility. And Not the headphone utility download.

Cheers.
June 21, 2023 07:01PM
I downloaded both Utilities and when I plugged the detector in it knew there was an update and took about 5-10mins to updated it and seems to be fine. Well I just ran the Minelab Update Utility Ml105 3.44.2+2 Utility and I turn on the head phones and plug them in and the screen says Connect a device to check for updates. On or Off nothing happens.

Mike K

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2023 08:51PM by Mike K.
June 21, 2023 10:02PM
Well I'm gonna leave this as it might help someone.. It ended up being the cord I got with the detector was bad, I tried another cord and took right off....

Mike
June 24, 2023 04:33AM
Here's short video I did. Manticore M8 and M15 coils in the flesh.

[m.youtube.com]
June 25, 2023 10:21PM
When using the Stabilizer why does some of the audio signals seems to be not muted but vol is like cut way down? Trying too figure out how to use this feature.... Maybe I'm overthinking it....

Mike
June 26, 2023 01:40PM
Hey Mike, minelab updated the manual and has a section on the Stabiliser setting.

[www.minelab.com]
June 28, 2023 01:03PM
Hi Tom, I'm still getting used to this update but I have a quick question regarding the update.

Was there a change to the frequency weighting or frequency's used on AT-LC multi?

AT-LC seems not as deep and is less sensitive to iron nails, almost like higher frequencies are being used. Prior to the update AT-HC and AT-LC were closer in depth in my dirt. Or maybe its just my imagination!

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2023 01:04PM by vipergts323.
June 28, 2023 05:49PM
All Terrain - Low Conductors...... should be the same. Just make sure you are using the same Recovery Speed!!!
Beach - Low Conductors........ may be slightly different.
June 28, 2023 06:02PM
For the record:

The new M8 coil is approx 14% better at unmasking..... in thick iron . , . , . , . , . , as compared to standard/stock 11" coil.
The new M8 coil is approx 3X deeper on tiny gold........ in a wet-salt environment. , . , . , . if configured properly.
June 29, 2023 07:48PM
Hi Tom, this user has some interesting issues with their manticore and the update.

[www.youtube.com]
June 30, 2023 01:06AM
I had no interest in watching a nearly 16-minute long video........... until I found out it was Andrew B. that did the video. He has VERY good skillset.

First....... Andrew's test-garden mineralization is quite high!
Second. Yes. Stabilizer is to only be utilized in nail-infested sites.
A side-effect of Stabilizer is...... depth reduction. IF you are in carpets of nails.......... depth is nearly never a concern. What's important is....... iron see-thru........ AND.......mitigation of falsing from iron.
Third. I would never use All Terrain - Low Conductors in a moderately salty environment!!! (((EQX equiv would be Field Mode-2))). In somewhat (or heavy) salty dirt........ I greatly recommend All Terrain - High Conductors. EVEN BETTER = I would recommend Beach - Seawater Mode. In Andrews case...... he has mineralization AND salt!!!
June 30, 2023 01:10AM
Two more things:

Remember...................... when you are in any Beach Mode.........there is no Stabilizer function.

I know Andrew had a Tarsacci. I would have loved to hear the Tarsacci on those test-garden (back yard) targets!!! Especially/because of that specific salt & mineralization type of dirt.
June 30, 2023 12:58PM
Hi Tom, thanks for the explanation.

One thing that concerns me regarding the video is that you can see Andrew adjusting the stabilizer and how it affects the signals. However you can see the stabilizer setting is set to Off during the entire time he adjusts it. Meaning the stabilizer is functioning even though its set to off. This might be a programing glitch

At the 6 min mark is where he started adjusting the stabilizer so you can see what I'm talking about:

[youtu.be]

Thanks for taking a look!
June 30, 2023 01:06PM
I just went to minelabs web site and opened the manual and didn't see an updates? I searched for the word STAB and didn't yield any stabilizer updates. Either that or I'm blind unless they have a section for updated manuals... Thx....

Mike

vipergts323 Wrote:
> Hey Mike, minelab updated the manual and has a sec
> tion on the Stabiliser setting.
>
> [www.minelab.com]
> ore
June 30, 2023 01:34PM
Hi Mike, here's the direct link to the version 2.0 manual

[www.minelab.com]
June 30, 2023 02:33PM
Got it perfect thank you.....

vipergts323 Wrote:
> Hi Mike, here's the direct link to the version 2.0
> manual
>
> [www.minelab.com]
> -2%20Inst%20Manual,%20Manticore%20EN.pdf
July 01, 2023 02:33AM
viper......... there is
1. Stabilizer
AND
2. Stabilizer Filter
These are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT functions.
Stabilizer Filter does NOT have to be "ON"........ in order for Stabilizer to function.

1. Stabilizer is adjusted from 0 - 12.......which is a algorithm that modifies how it reports potentially falsing iron.........and reduces falsing iron.
2. Stabilizer Filter......... is an ADDITIONAL audio filter....... that ALSO helps identify falsing iron! Stabilizer Filter stacks on top of Stabilizer! These two functions are: additive!

((( Did I confuse the issue even further??? )))
July 01, 2023 04:02AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> viper......... there is
> 1. Stabilizer
> AND
> 2. Stabilizer Filter
> These are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT functions.
> Stabilizer Filter does NOT have to be "ON"........
> in order for Stabilizer to function.
>
> 1. Stabilizer is adjusted from 0 - 12.......which
> is a algorithm that modifies how it reports potent
> ially falsing iron.........and reduces falsing iro
> n.
> 2. Stabilizer Filter......... is an ADDITIONAL aud
> io filter....... that ALSO helps identify falsing
> iron! Stabilizer Filter stacks on top of Stabilize
> r! These two functions are: additive!
>
> ((( Did I confuse the issue even further??? )))

Yes
July 01, 2023 02:04PM
Hi Tom, thank you for clarifying that.

I had read the new manual section on the stabilizer and I misunderstood that the stabilizer filter was completely separate from the stabilizer.

My assumed loss of depth in AT-LC is because I was using the filter option as an on/off for the stabilizer. So I was running stabilizer on when I thought it was off in all areas.
July 21, 2023 10:15AM
I'm just curious. Have any of you....broke a coil/coil-ear on your Manticore....as of yet?
July 25, 2023 08:38PM
Well, I know I've been somewhat "radio silent" since getting my Manticore. I simply haven't had enough hours on it, to offer much of any substance. Even now, 6 months in, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Manticore, and its audio (in part due to lack of hunting opportunities). Still, one thing I can say, is that this is one FALSY machine, for sure (I haven't downloaded the update yet, as I want to really learn the machine FIRST, and I only have about 40 to 50 hours on it...nowhere near enough). But WOW. Falsy, falsy, which makes the audio VERY busy, and fatiguing to decipher. And that is with near-factory limits settings...

I am beginning to understand what Keith Southern talked about for all those years, about "bleedy/blendy audio." But, understanding what that means, and understanding how to decipher it, are two TOTALLY different things.

I am on vacation in PA now, and have gotten some hours on the machine on consecutive days. I've hunted a couple of sites with a good many square nails. As always, the deep square nails are my nemesis...as many of them sound "good" from many directions. I STILL have not learned how to decipher...but at the same time, it's hard to complain as I'm having some success.

Sunday, I dug two deep, old coins -- a very nice 1876 Seated dime, and a 1783 1/2 Reale. On NEITHER of these targets was I sure I was digging a coin (versus a good-sounding, falsy square nail). I THOUGHT they both sounded better than a square nail, but I have been fooled many times. BOTH had quiet iron grunts OVERLAID with high tones; not the solid, louder grunts from a more substantial iron item, but more like the type that you get from soil mineral. Still, both coins were a mix of high tones and those quiet grunts, overlaid on top of each other. Both were about 7" to 8" deep; the high tones on the dime were solidly upper 90s (WAY too high), and those on the Reale averaged lower, 70s and 80s. (The dime air tests 79-80, and the Reale 64 to 68). SO -- on both, I felt that I had to dig, BUT, on neither did I feel confident at all as to what I'd be digging. I venture to guess that on both targets, the EQX 800 would have hit them solidly, without the iron grunts, and with less up-averaging...and I would have been very confident that I was digging a coin. I would expect the dime would have ID'd low 30s, and a very soft, clean hit on every sweep. I do NOT like that the Manticore seems much more "unsure" than the EQX, as to what the target is, when deeper than a few inches, in both Oklahoma and Pennsylvania dirt.

Meanwhile, on Monday, I managed a 6" to 7" deep 1837 Seated dime. This one was registering mid 50s ID, pretty much from all angles. I was NOT expecting silver, but thought maybe Indian Head. I was SHOCKED when I popped the plug, and the silver coin fell from the bottom of the plug. I immediately put the pinpointer in the hole, and from the sidewall, pulled about a 1 1/2" long, 1/4" wide rusty blob of iron. I was surprised that I didn't ever hear a high tone with this target, but instead consistent mid tone. This was clearly a case where the two targets "averaged together" to report a MUCH lower ID than I'd have expected. I've never dug a silver coin before that was that far off, in terms of ID. I wonder if this is something that the MC will do, moreso than the EQX would have? Based on what I assume to have been the distance between the two targets (both at roughly the same depth), I would have expected to hear at least SOME high tone reports, from some angles, as I circled and swept the target, instead of the fairly consistent, averaged mid 50s ID from pretty much all angles.

So, overall, I thus far have a love/hate relationship with the Manticore. It is finding me stuff -- and some GOOD stuff, and yet I do NOT understand the machine's language. Nearly everything, except shallow coins, have some amount of iron grunting, and pretty severe up-averaging. Meanwhile, the falses on this machine are overwhelming. A large number of nails false, and NOT just high-tone falsing. Some false mid-tone, also. So, overall, at any given time, I largely have no idea what is under the coil, and thus knowing "what to dig" is very difficult. And I have yet to dig a deep silver coin, that sounds "clean" and lets me know what I'm digging. Several years back, I dug an 1888 Seated dime about 30 yards from the 1876, above, and at similar depth -- with my Explorer SE Pro. I KNEW I had a good target. With the Equinox, it is pretty easy in many cases to call an 8" deep silver coin. I do NOT have the sense that the Manticore will give such clean, clear reports on deep silver. But, again...I'm finding stuff...so it's not like the machine isn't quite capable. It's just perplexing, and somewhat maddening for me, at this point...

Just my two cents, after my first 50 hours or so.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2023 01:08PM by steveg.
July 26, 2023 09:40AM
Great finds Steve, despite all. Manticore seems to be a detector that requires a lot of time to interpret what it’s telling you, or so I’m told.
JCR
July 26, 2023 02:03PM
Very nice finds for early days. Things will line out.

Chris
July 26, 2023 11:04PM
As always, excellent write up Steve. Thank you for being articulate in your words to describe what you are experiencing with the Manticore. My friend has a Manticore and has shared very similar experiences. However, as soon as he updated the software (which includes the new “stabilizer”) iron falsing and chatter was severely reduced. I understand you haven’t downloaded the software and have not done so due wanting to learn the machine but this will save your sanity lol. I look forward to your future reports on the Manticore. - Jim