Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
September 17, 2023 01:09AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The little 8" x 5.5" Manticore (M8) coil is phenom
> enal ..... and in many regards!

Hi Tom...Any idea as to how much more sensitivity might be achieved in the salt water with the 8" x 5.5" versus the stock coil? Thanks Bob K
September 17, 2023 02:40AM
Bob........Absolutely. This little M8 coil is (on average) 3X more sensitive to tiny gold......when compared to the standard 11" coil. And...... even more sensitive to tiny gold than 11" coil whilst IN the saltwater.
BUT........ there is a caveat! BEWARE! If you keep Sens on the same settings that you use for the 11" coil........ there is no performance gain/difference. BUT (again)....... the small coil (((due to smaller size.....there's substantially less wet-salt feedback)))...... allowing you to run your Sens 5-points higher (nominal median average)..... over where you would set your Sens with the 11" coil. This is where HUGE gains are ascertained. --- Keep in mind........ proper Ground Balance to the wet-salt ...is critical....,,,,,......in order to add the extra Sens settings.

Here's how psychotic I have been able to run Sens with M8 coil:
Beach Low Conductors Mode
Recovery Speed 4
Ground Balance = usually 5..... occasionally 6
Ferrous Limits: Upper = 4
Ferrous Limits: Lower = 0
Prospecting Audio
Nothing Notched
Volume = 25
Iron Volume = 25
Simple
Sens 30 !!!!!!

With Sens on 30...... there is absolutely ZERO wiggle-room for any VERTICAL coil velocity. ALSO........ any aberrations in the sand.,.,.,.,.,., you need to mentally subtract out of the audio.

In/with this configuration....... I am finding targets that .... never in the history of mankind..... have ever been detected or recovered in a wet-salt environment.

I DO need to drop Sens to 27 ..... if I am IN the water.

Another tip: Whilst Ground Balancing..... it is good to have about 1/8" depth of saltwater under the coil..... whilst bobbing coil .,.,.,.,., allowing unit to grab its best Grnd Bal.

If only I could train/teach you guys (in a wet-salt environ) to have THE most steady sweep. , . , . , . , . , MAXIMUM coil control............,,,,,,,,,,,............ doors would open....that you have NEVER experienced/witnessed....ever before......in history.
September 17, 2023 01:44PM
I agree on your advice Tom. Coil control in and around salt water is so important. The Minelab platform is one that is sensitivity driven. The higher you can run it the better depth you will achieve.

I hope you and more importantly, YOUR READERS understand they will NEVER be able to get the performance you stated, unless they are standing next to you.

The White nonmetallic Sand in your location is an anomaly. While I am happy for you, most of us struggle to get the sensitivity over 21 in most beach conditions. Conditions with black sand in the mix are also nonferrous fringe depth killers as it wants to turn those targets to ferrous readings.
It would be so nice for you to have a way for some of us to see a find or two once in a while. HH
September 17, 2023 06:12PM
Hi Tom,

"In/with this configuration....... I am finding targets that .... never in the history of mankind..... have ever been detected or recovered in a wet-salt environment. "

Could you give us some examples?
September 18, 2023 12:47AM
Tom... Thanks for the report on the M8. Sounds like a great little coil especially in and around the salt water.
September 18, 2023 02:34AM
mida....... I have standard yellow sand .... here in East Coast Florida. On the West Coast of Florida...... they have the whitest of WHITE sand.......and it is beautiful!!! My East Coast sand is standard/linear all the way up the Coast of the United States Eastern Seaboard. There are a few spots where it is alkali AND mineralization (black sand).,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., but....for the most-part.......... the entire East Coast of the United States...... is yellow sand beaches. Some parts of California and West Coast DOES INDEED have black sand....... and it'll 'shut down' the performance of a SMF detector. (((This is where the Tarsacci w/ID comes into play.......... or a PI unit without/ID comes into play))).

gts..... yes.
REAL gold (not gold-plated copper) = earrings, charms, pendants, anklets, bracelets, necklaces............etc................
September 19, 2023 03:37PM
Tom, can you share your settings you run on the beach? tnx
September 20, 2023 11:41AM
possum ..... sure:

Here's how psychotic I have been able to run Sens with M8 coil.....on the beach:
Beach Low Conductors Mode
Recovery Speed 4
Ground Balance = usually 5..... occasionally 6
Ferrous Limits: Upper = 4
Ferrous Limits: Lower = 0
Prospecting Audio
Nothing Notched
Volume = 25
Iron Volume = 25
Simple
Sens 30 !!!!!!
September 20, 2023 04:31PM
EMi test in video using 2 Manticores.
Smart money says let detector pick noise cancel channel not the operator.
Can't rate a channel manually based on audible noise for proper detector ops.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2023 04:34PM by tnsharpshooter.
September 21, 2023 02:22AM
PREMIUM video-capture/example of silent masking.,.,.,.,.,.,. of which I have been preaching/teaching about .....for decades. And............ I'm glad you said: There may still be some masking taking place.......even with the best Noise Cancel channel. VERY important point.

The primary forte/rationale of "why" the Manticore performs much better than its predecessors is: Its superior ability to mitigate EMI. There was a HUGE amount of engineering that specifically went into this EMI-mitigation platform.
((( I merely hope serious hunters are employing LONG PRESS Noise Cancel pinnacle feature of Manticore. )))
September 24, 2023 02:55AM
You asked for crazy requests for coil sizes, well, I'm going to go pyschadelic on ya! The ultimate coil would be somewhat akin to a Russian nesting doll in that it is made up of multiple layers of detecting rings nestled within each other. It starts off at 15 inches and if your terrain calls for a smaller coil, you simply peel off an outer ring and decrease its size to say 13". Need a smaller coil? Simply peel off another outer ring, or two, until you achieve the desired size. Want to go back to 15 inches? Keep adding the outer rings back until you rebuild it to 15 inches. See? Simple. I'll expect it to be ready by next spring! smileys with beer

On a more serious note, you said :

"I am finding targets that .... never in the history of mankind..... have ever been detected or recovered in a wet-salt environment."

Are you saying that the Manticore is able to exceed the depth of the Tarsacci in your "wet-salt environment" conditions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 03:01AM by philber.
September 24, 2023 02:22PM
The Manticore with 8" coil....slightly exceeds the performance of the Tarsacci with 11" coil.,.,.,.,.,., on a Nickel,,,, in a wet-salt environment.
The Manticore with 8" coil....far, far exceeds the performance of the Tarsacci with 11" coil............. on small & tiny gold,,,, in a wet-salt environment.

JUST DON'T ADD ANY BLACK SAND IN THE EQUATION!
September 24, 2023 02:42PM
Suggestion for Minelab involving Discrimination setup

See my comments in video concerning adding a neutral setting to allow user to scroll freely where they want to go then select reject or accept as needed

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 02:50PM by tnsharpshooter.
October 01, 2023 04:14PM
Wow, that's impressive for an 8" coil! I imagine you get another inch or two with the stock 11" coil? I'm a land hunter and I wonder how the Manticore compares to the Tarsacci's depth on land (mild to moderate mineralization). Thanks!
October 02, 2023 10:22AM
Phil........ for several years now.,.,.,.,.,., I have been going through several mental gyrations regarding this exact same question (Tarsacci VS Manticore). Let me see if I an make my dilemma/problem a bit more obvious:

* In my test-garden.......... Manticore is clear winner ..... with depth AND ID. (((Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Things are looking good for Manticore))).
* In the real-World........... there have been many occasions whereby: Manticore edged-out Tarsacci. (((This makes it SOOOOooooooooooooo easy to say: SEE!!! AGAIN.....the Manticore can detect this deep (such-and-such) better than Tarsacci AND with better ID!!!))) PROOF!!! DONE!!! CASE-CLOSED!!! Manticore is obviously the clear winner.
Here in sandbar Florida....... this seems to hold true...... about 65% - 70% of the time.

* THEN.......... there are sites that I choose to ignore (mentally: write-off, . , . , . , . , . and say: "it didn't happen", . , . , . , . , because it goes against my stubborn mindset hell-bent belief).............whereby: the Manticore will only ascertain 7" on coins.,.,.,., and with proper ID. The Tarsacci will ascertain 10" coins..... and with 'reasonable' (Tarsacci typical) ID. (((It's a painful gouge in the memory-banks when: the 0" - 7" coins are: CLAD. , . , . , . , . , . and the coins in the 7" - 10" depth strata are: wheats and Silver!!! Kinda hard to ignore/forget!!!))).
This occurrence has happened MUCH more than 'just-once'.
This also starts to impose 'some' reality to those folks of whom state: "You can throw your test-garden out-the-window. It's not the: real-World". [[[[ Yet; test-gardens remain: VITAL ]]]].

REALITY-CHECK = The sites where the Tarsacci is the clear winner. , . , ., . , . the soil appears to be very low mineral(s). BUT........ that's NOT what BOTH detectors are portraying/presenting. And................. what's REALLY crazy is: You would NEVER know that you are swinging your coil....at a VERY reduced performance level. Detector appears to be stable/quiet/nominal and "performing". You would merely write-the-site-off as: Ain't nothing old/good here. , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . even though you are completely surrounded by 1884 houses/churches!

MORAL-FO-THE-STORY = What 'appears' to be "very low mineral soil"........ is (completely unsuspectingy) 'medium mineralization'. We will BLINDINGLY get into 'some minerals'......... and NEVER suspect!!! Test-garden will PROVE this. , . , . , . time-and-time again.

Phil......... to answer your other question: Yes, the stock 11" Manticore coil will indeed present a couple inches more depth over the 8" coil. (Assuming mineralization is not bad).
October 02, 2023 01:37PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> What 'appears' to be "very l
> ow mineral soil"........ is (completely unsuspecti
> ngy) 'medium mineralization'. We will BLINDINGLY g
> et into 'some minerals'......... and NEVER suspect

Tom, this is why we want a ground mineralization meter!!!

Maybe I've been writing off some spots as hunted out cause I'm not finding stuff, but maybe I'm not finding anything because the location is mineralized! But with out that ground mineralization meter I'll never know I'm dealing with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 01:39PM by vipergts323.
October 02, 2023 07:21PM
Thanks Tom. I getcha, there just isn't one "perfect" detector for everything. Maybe Dimitar will come out with a multi frequency Tarsacci, and WITH great ID! Thinking about it, I should have asked - in your comparison of the 8" Manticore coil vs the Tarsacci, were you comparing it to the Tarsacci 9" coil or the 12" beast? Either way, I'm surprised how much depth the Manticore manages vs a pulse machine. Throw in accurate ID and that's a great machine!

I can see why people are asking for a mineralization meter as I kind of suspect I have been on sites with higher than believed mineralization and it unknowingly affected performance as we anticipated at least a few interesting old items, yet turned up nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 07:28PM by philber.
October 03, 2023 01:14PM
gts......... noted. WELL noted!

phil....... I thought you wanted me to compare the Manticore M8 coil.....to the Manticore M11 coil. So I did!
But................ as far as inland/turf detecting.,.,.,.,., the Tarsacci w/12" coil......................VS...................... Manticore with 11" coil.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., the Manticore is (barely) the winner in depth......,,,,,,,,........,,,,,,,and (largely) the winner in ID = = = IN CLOSE-TO-ZERO MINERALIZATION!
Add a bit of mineralization. , . , . , . , and the Tarsacci is the clear winner. . . . with depth and medium-resolution ID.
October 21, 2023 11:13AM
October 23, 2023 04:09AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> hmmmm
>
> [apps.fcc.gov]
> Report.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called
> FromFrame=N&application_id=Gh4QGgRuAVf99u4A1R1CNA%
> 3D%3D&fcc_id=Z4C-0061

Nice catch, David!

Steve
October 23, 2023 06:49PM
Looks like some Minelab wireless audio module...?
October 25, 2023 05:12PM
Manticore with M8 coil sweeping USa silver dollar on edge ( the easy way).
[www.youtube.com]

The above video link sent to Minelab Engineer 25 Oct 2023 at 13:24 hours CDST.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2023 06:30PM by tnsharpshooter.
October 26, 2023 02:00AM
David....... this is (extremely) high-conductor wrap-around effect. . . . . . and is accentuated with the elliptical EM footprint design of the coil.
You should try this with a 1-Oz .9999 Silver Round!!! (Sometimes called: Silver Eagle).
October 30, 2023 07:12PM
Making the Manticore a better seeker of lower conductive targets
[www.youtube.com]
October 30, 2023 10:50PM
Couple more Videos
[www.youtube.com]
October 30, 2023 10:52PM
October 31, 2023 03:19AM
Salt Beach Hunters may find this interesting
[www.youtube.com]
October 31, 2023 01:05PM
Some Manticore talk and demo

[www.youtube.com]
October 31, 2023 02:19PM
Beach Low conductors Stock coil demo
Small gold ring alongside few colonial nails

[www.youtube.com]
October 31, 2023 03:00PM
M15 coil demo Beach Low conductors sweeping smaller gold ring alongside few colonial nails
[www.youtube.com]