Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
January 23, 2024 03:17AM
Wow, nice ring!

Steve
January 24, 2024 09:40PM
VERY nice ring!

With Sens on 30 (and Recovery Speed = 4)....... how close are you able to get the coil to the ground.....and audibly still handle it!?!?!!!

So far....... how would you compare the depth performance of M8 ....... VS...... M11 coil in a wet-salt beach environment?
January 25, 2024 11:01PM
Hi Tom, Handling Manticore with the coil so close to the ground and such high sensitivity, with the detector so "hot" is not difficult for me because I have been with Equinox for several years. Still, it took me a few hours to get used to the new prospecting audio in LC mode. As you have indicated, mastering the Salt deltas and their growls, to differentiate them from the growls of very deep targets requires some training.

Regarding the depth of M8 vs M11... They are very different coils. In very difficult environments, with a lot of iron, mineralization or a lot of black sand, the M8 goes similar or a little deeper than the M11, especially on weaker targets, for which the M11 does not detect because it confuses them with the ground/environment. In the same difficult conditions, if the target is large enough, M11 offers a little more depth than M8, not much more, but yes, deeper.

But, yes, in normal wet and salty beach conditions, like the ones we have in the north of Spain in the Atlantic, the M11 is impressive. I'll give you the photo of the depth at which I took out a €1 coin. Beach LC, 4RS, prospecting audio, sensitivity 24. Growl detection. I could'nt believe it. Seeing is believing.

January 25, 2024 11:35PM
Good report...... congruent with my experiences/conditions/environment.

There is a LOT more going on 'under-the-hood' of Manticore........ as compared to EQX (((or anything else))).

Yes....... in general....... the M8 coil is deeper than M11 coil.,.,., in a wet-salt environment......... with MOST beach targets found.,.,.,., on a typical hunt. . . . . . . . yet......under the premise that unit is Ground Balanced to the wet-salt with M8 coil......... which (in turn) allows Sens to be boosted much higher than the Sens that must be run with M11 coil.

Good photos! Thanks for sharing!
January 28, 2024 07:33PM
Hi Tom,

As you see, I am a jewelry seeker on saltwater beaches, in the north of Spain, Atlantic area. In these areas we have large tides, so you have to look in large areas of wet sand.

Some areas have some dense iron, and I use small coils there, very successfully and very effectively.

Lately I have been using Manticore, with M8 and M11 coils, and I am considering purchasing M15 coil, since I read very good reviews about it.

My goal would be to get more raw depth on dense and large pieces that are very deep, like gold rings, and that M8 may not be able to smell, or cover more ground heading into summer.

Tom, what are your thoughts?

Thank you!
January 29, 2024 10:59AM
Gosh........ it hurts to be honest; but.......here goes:

M8 coil is a godsend. Best performing detector in the World on low-conductor gold jewelry.,.,.,especially in a wet-salt environment.

M15 coil ascertains too much wet-salt feedback/blowback/flyback. On my Atlantic beaches...... I can not use the M15 coil.Too much Sensitivity retardation employed/required.... in order to mitigate wet-salt blowback.
January 30, 2024 07:50PM
It will hurt, sure, but we trust you precisely because we know that what you tell us is what it really is, Tom!

I thank you about M15 verdict. The tests we have carried out with the M11 give us very good raw depth, especially in normal and dense objects. On small and/or thin objects, M8 gives greater performance.

Either of the M8 and M11 coils are wonderful on a wet, salty sand beach. M8 sensitivity 30 M11 sensitivity 24.

We will continue testing.

Thanks Tom
January 31, 2024 04:10AM
airtemisa....... just a thought:

Get a 14" stick of 1/2" Schedule-40 PVC....... and use two-part epoxy.......and glue a Nickel to it. (You could also do a 15" Nickel).
When you hammer it into the wet-sand....... let salt-water fill the tube. , . , . , . , . otherwise the Minelab will think the 'hollow tube' .... is a target.

Test 11" coil with Sens on '24'.
Test M8 coil with Sens on '30'.

You may find the results: interesting. (((And I doubt you will/would EVER lose the 14" & 15" PVC Nickel test-targets)))!!!
February 01, 2024 12:51AM
Anybody know of a secret stash of M8 coils? I can find the M15 but in stock M8s are about as scarce as $10 gold coins to metal detecting.
February 01, 2024 01:47PM
Daniel........ their demand is high........ and our production needs to be aligned accordingly!!!
February 01, 2024 08:56PM
About two weeks ago my friend got ahold of 2 of the M8 coils. One for me and one for him from History Seekers Metal Detectors.
February 02, 2024 09:01AM
I'm sure they'll eventually turn up. I just received the M15 today so it should keep me entertained for a little while, hitting old sites and seeing what, if anything, comes out.
February 02, 2024 11:46PM
Hi Tom,

During the last two hunts I have been using the M11 pñcoil, to push it to the maximum and achieve the greatest coverage and depth, and extrapolate the by results to the M15, compared from the M8.

Zero gold finds.

I have made 2 beginner mistakes:

1. With the desire to search for maximum depth and knowing how Manticore handles EMI, I have set the detector to a very high sensitivity.

2. Believing that by maximizing coverage, I would find the deepest targetd, in highly mineralized terrain.

Result: excess of signals that have made me unable to focus on the true signals, and zero gold (several silver rings and cupro-nickel coins, above all).

I have been detecting for years, and I can say that I am not bad at the beach at all, but by the time I realized it, it was already too late, I adjusted the detector properly and I started to get the good signals, but the tide made me thrown off the beach.

The next day I will put M8 and leave it at maximum sensitivity - 1 point. It will not be a homogeneous double-blind trial, but at least we will be able to measure the results.
February 03, 2024 03:29PM
airtemisa........ In "MOST" applications........ it is hard to encounter EMI on the beach. Yes...... there are a few places whereby EMI is prevalent; yet, the feedback/interference from wet-salt (and black sand // minerals) are the predominant hinderance.
When/IF you must perform a LONG PRESS Noise Cancel on the beach...... it is critical that the coil is AWAY from the wet-salt by approx 1/2-Meter.......and the coil is absolutely STILL/STATIONARY.
THEN..... you can concentrate on Ground Balance.
THEN..... you can concentrate on high Sensitivity settings.

I have learned = If I place Sensitivity high...... into the chatty, noisy range.....by a little bit . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . then I hunt with it in this configuration....................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..................... in time...... I will adjust my swing (coil sweep) to induce the LEAST noise/chatty/instability. I will figure out how to adjust my sloppy coil-control/sweep...to a MUCH more stable sweep....... which generates a end-resultant of a much more quiet/stable audio. ---- In turn....... this may allow me to bump the Sens up one more point. ---- Then the procedure starts all over again. Where am I today? =

When I first started hunting with the M8 coil ... on the beach (over a year ago)......... the highest Sens I could run/use/employ was a Sens of 27. Two beach hunts later........ I was able to use Sens 28. Five additional beach hunts later.......... I was able to use a Sens of 29. Then........ twentyone additional hunts later......... I was able to use a Sens of 30. This is where I stand right now. I am always using a Sens of 30 with M8 on the wet-salt. So far........... on some very remote/ideal/textbook-perfect scenarios ...... I can run a Sens of 31. Conditions must be extremely calm, stable...... and extremely flat/smooth sand with zero shells and zero footprints.
I hunt with the coil approx 2mm above the wet-sand. This is to say.......... I am a coil scraper!
With Sens always being on 30 now. , . , . , . , . , . I must premise with a caveat =
My brain/ears are continuously in audio "Subtraction Mode". Audio chirps, noises, chatters that are induced by myself & environment........must be mentally subtracted-out from the stream of audio data. Audio chirps that must be subtracted out.......are caused by:
1. ANY vertical movement (pumping the coil up-and-down) on the sand......... will cause violent audio squalks.
2. Bumping into a seashell, or seaweed, or tapping the sand with the coil....... will cause the detector/audio to squeal.
3. A footprint/small-hole/divit in the wet-sand........will cause the detector to audibly squeal/chirp.
4. Slightly lifting the coil.....at the end of a sweep....... will cause the detector to chirp.
5. Sudden changes in coil sweep-speed....... will cause the detector to audibly report.
6. A few drops of saltwater splashing on the coil...... will cause the detector to chirp/burp.
7. Rippled/washboard sand ..... will cause the detector to be audibly unstable.
8. Visible mineral striations in the sand....... will cause the detector to audibly report.
9. Subsurface water-table movement(s) .... will cause the detector to present a audibly elongated....slow...... audio response.
10. Subsurface high/low density pockets in the wet-sand..... will cause the detector to report.

This (above) list ...sounds horrific to conquer/tame; yet, unsuspectingly..... it is VERY easy to overcome/rule/tame. With the 'awareness' of the (above) list....... in concert with some skillset/experience........ it is SO easy to master.

Why not just simply hunt with a much lower Sensitivity......... and enjoy a nice, quiet hunt?
Because = For each individual SINGLE increment in Sensitivity that you can increase & employ (starting with Sens 27)....... a whole new World of "unsuspectings" ensues.
With a Sens of 27..... you will start to see a type/group of targets .... that have never before ..been able to be detected.
With a Sens of 28..... you will see, yet, another type/group of targets..... that have never before ...been able to be detected.
With a Sens of 29..... you will see, ANOTHER type of target(s) ..... that have never in the history of mankind..... been able to be detected..... in a wet-salt environment.
With a Sens of 30..... you will now be able to (just barely) detect sandfleas (their hollow lungs)....... and open up a whole new World of targets.

With a Sens of 32..... ((( I'm (we're) not there yet!)))........ we now...... for the first time in history..... can detect (the true definition of) micro-jewelry.,.,.,.,., in a wet-salt environment.

For the record = With a Sens of 30.,.,.,.,., Approximately 96% of the targets that I recover (in a wet-salt environment)..... are in the 0" - 1" depth strata..... andthese specific targets ID in the very low conductivity range of: 1 - 6. (((Remember: A Nickel ID's as '27'))).
Using other words (in OTHER words) = 96% of the targets that I recover...... the Manticore's maximum depth capability..... is about 1" deep.
I often make the joke = I'm going hunting with a detector that can only go 1-inch deep!
February 04, 2024 12:59AM
Tom... I have been using the M8 on and off for about 2 weeks now. 4 times completely submerged and the rest of the time on the wet sand. I am using a sensitivity of 27 to 28 on the wet in Beach LC and 27 in the water in Submerged and occasionally Beach General. It certainly hits on tiny bits of metal more so than the M11, and you are correct in having a scoop with tiny holes especially in the water. I have spent a lot of time chasing bits that eventually I give up on. There is a learning curve from the M11 because it responds so clearly on small pieces that I think are near the surface when in fact they are deeper that I am not digging as deep on the first scoop and need to take a big deep scoop first to recover the target in as short a time frame as possible. Looking forward to more time using this new coil. I am using your recommended settings for the saltwater Florida beaches. Thanks for continuing with your updated information!
February 04, 2024 01:57AM
What an incredibly detailed, and most surprising deluge of information.

What you describe -- detecting the hollow lungs of sand fleas -- that's amazing. And the amount of coil control you are describing, so as to minimize all of those various sources of "falsing," is just incredible.

I am finally getting to where I can hunt semi-comfortably with the Manticore, on VERY conservative/non-aggressive settings. Though I have turned the corner from wanting to wrap the machine around a tree, to where I actually feel like I can use it as a tool, your post shows me that there is an IMMENSE amount of room to "push" forward into more and more aggressive settings, allowing my brain and ears time to adjust to the nuances of the audio, only to reach a comfort level and then push it some more...and then again some more...

This is NOT a machine for a beginner, in my view...but it does have rewards waiting for the patient, skilled user...

Steve

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> airtemisa........ In "MOST" applications........
> it is hard to encounter EMI on the beach.
> Yes...... there are a few places whereby EMI is
> prevalent; yet, the feedback/interference from
> wet-salt (and black sand // minerals) are the
> predominant hinderance.
> When/IF you must perform a LONG PRESS Noise Cancel
> on the beach...... it is critical that the coil is
> AWAY from the wet-salt by approx
> 1/2-Meter.......and the coil is absolutely
> STILL/STATIONARY.
> THEN..... you can concentrate on Ground Balance.
> THEN..... you can concentrate on high Sensitivity
> settings.
>
> I have learned = If I place Sensitivity high......
> into the chatty, noisy range.....by a little bit .
> , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . then I hunt
> with it in this
> configuration....................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....................
> in time...... I will adjust my swing (coil sweep)
> to induce the LEAST noise/chatty/instability. I
> will figure out how to adjust my sloppy
> coil-control/sweep...to a MUCH more stable
> sweep....... which generates a end-resultant of a
> much more quiet/stable audio. ---- In
> turn....... this may allow me to bump the Sens up
> one more point. ---- Then the procedure starts all
> over again. Where am I today? =
>
> When I first started hunting with the M8 coil ...
> on the beach (over a year ago)......... the
> highest Sens I could run/use/employ was a Sens of
> 27. Two beach hunts later........ I was able to
> use Sens 28. Five additional beach hunts
> later.......... I was able to use a Sens of 29.
> Then........ twentyone additional hunts
> later......... I was able to use a Sens of 30.
> This is where I stand right now. I am always using
> a Sens of 30 with M8 on the wet-salt. So
> far........... on some very
> remote/ideal/textbook-perfect scenarios ...... I
> can run a Sens of 31. Conditions must be extremely
> calm, stable...... and extremely flat/smooth sand
> with zero shells and zero footprints.
> I hunt with the coil approx 2mm above the
> wet-sand. This is to say.......... I am a coil
> scraper!
> With Sens always being on 30 now. , . , . , . , .
> , . I must premise with a caveat =
> My brain/ears are continuously in audio
> "Subtraction Mode". Audio chirps, noises, chatters
> that are induced by myself &
> environment........must be mentally subtracted-out
> from the stream of audio data. Audio chirps that
> must be subtracted out.......are caused by:
> 1. ANY vertical movement (pumping the coil
> up-and-down) on the sand......... will cause
> violent audio squalks.
> 2. Bumping into a seashell, or seaweed, or tapping
> the sand with the coil....... will cause the
> detector/audio to squeal.
> 3. A footprint/small-hole/divit in the
> wet-sand........will cause the detector to audibly
> squeal/chirp.
> 4. Slightly lifting the coil.....at the end of a
> sweep....... will cause the detector to chirp.
> 5. Sudden changes in coil sweep-speed....... will
> cause the detector to audibly report.
> 6. A few drops of saltwater splashing on the
> coil...... will cause the detector to chirp/burp.
> 7. Rippled/washboard sand ..... will cause the
> detector to be audibly unstable.
> 8. Visible mineral striations in the sand.......
> will cause the detector to audibly report.
> 9. Subsurface water-table movement(s) .... will
> cause the detector to present a audibly
> elongated....slow...... audio response.
> 10. Subsurface high/low density pockets in the
> wet-sand..... will cause the detector to report.
>
> This (above) list ...sounds horrific to
> conquer/tame; yet, unsuspectingly..... it is VERY
> easy to overcome/rule/tame. With the 'awareness'
> of the (above) list....... in concert with some
> skillset/experience........ it is SO easy to
> master.
>
> Why not just simply hunt with a much lower
> Sensitivity......... and enjoy a nice, quiet hunt?
> Because = For each individual SINGLE
> increment in Sensitivity that you can increase &
> employ (starting with Sens 27)....... a whole new
> World of "unsuspectings" ensues.
> With a Sens of 27..... you will start to see a
> type/group of targets .... that have never before
> ..been able to be detected.
> With a Sens of 28..... you will see, yet, another
> type/group of targets..... that have never before
> ...been able to be detected.
> With a Sens of 29..... you will see, ANOTHER type
> of target(s) ..... that have never in the history
> of mankind..... been able to be detected..... in a
> wet-salt environment.
> With a Sens of 30..... you will now be able to
> (just barely) detect sandfleas (their hollow
> lungs)....... and open up a whole new World of
> targets.
>
> With a Sens of 32..... ((( I'm (we're) not there
> yet!)))........ we now...... for the first time in
> history..... can detect (the true definition of)
> micro-jewelry.,.,.,.,., in a wet-salt environment.
>
> For the record = With a Sens of 30.,.,.,.,.,
> Approximately 96% of the targets that I recover
> (in a wet-salt environment)..... are in the 0" -
> 1" depth strata..... andthese specific targets ID
> in the very low conductivity range of: 1 - 6.
> (((Remember: A Nickel ID's as '27'))).
> Using other words (in OTHER words) = 96% of the
> targets that I recover...... the Manticore's
> maximum depth capability..... is about 1" deep.
> I often make the joke = I'm going hunting with a
> detector that can only go 1-inch deep!
cjc
February 04, 2024 09:35PM
I'll add my 2 cents: With both the NOX and Manti these prospecting modes are a great way to get in touch with what the ground is telling you--to learn to run a balanced signal and adjust your sweep speed for max performance. Ive been looking around to see if anyone has come up with a way to run anything other than Surf-/ Sandin salt water this looks very promising. Toms other "open" settings seems to be the deepest way to run this detector. Prospecting also gives a pulse like character to the tone where you can tell a lot about a response by how peaked it is. This is a goodway to get the most from the Manti's slick, strong processing. Thanks a lot Tom I will be testing these settings soon.
February 06, 2024 12:28AM
cjc...... yes..... that is correct. With a high Sens setting whilst in Audio Theme = PROSPECTING (((Delta Pitch = dp ...... on EQX-900))) ...........you can get a MUCH better audio "feel" of the dirt (wet-salt).......... and all the points-of-contention the detector has to deal/contend with. It also allows you to help the detector to "overcome". Which.......... in turn........... allows you to bump up the Sens by (usually) 2 points. And THAT'S where a bunch more depth/sensitivity/performance promulgates. It is a win-win scenario.
cjc
February 06, 2024 01:39AM
Thanks for your reply, Tom. Ya, the sense I get is with Prospecting--the actual bias is doing a lot more to keep the signal riding up above any low-level interferene. I ran the NOX this way at black sand beaches and cleaned up. (usinfg a bit of disc to make the caps "stutter"--killer method). Lot of info in the VCO as well. The Manti reminds me of on optimized pulse in that clean metal is the audio "sweet spot"--a gold hunters dream--especially with the graph's confluence. In salt using Surf mode I struggled to run higher than "22"--dissapointing really considering whats available. You do have the option of bringing up the first tone break in a two tone audio mode or adding a bit of disc but this does not allow muich more Sens to be run. I once met a hunter who ran the NOX in Gold 2 in salt --worked well and hit a ton more targets as well although these were mostly corroded (blended with the ground) ones but overall--the Prospecting type audio's fluidity was amanzingly stable. I have high hopes for your settings and will report back on how they worked under my high saline, fast water conditons. rgrdz clive
cjc
February 06, 2024 01:41AM
Thanks for your reply, Tom. Ya, the sense I get is with Prospecting--the actual bias is doing a lot more to keep the signal riding up above any low-level interference. I ran the NOX this way at black sand beaches and cleaned up. (using a bit of disc to make the caps "stutter"--killer method). Lot of info in the VCO as well. The Manti reminds me of on optimized pulse in that clean metal is the audio "sweet spot"--a gold hunters dream--especially with the graph's confluence. In salt using Surf mode I struggled to run higher than "22"--dissapointing really considering whats available. You do have the option of bringing up the first tone break in a two tone audio mode or adding a bit of disc but this does not allow much more Sens to be run. I once met a hunter who ran the NOX in Gold 2 in salt --worked well and hit a ton more targets as well although these were mostly corroded (blended with the ground) ones but overall--the Prospecting type audio's fluidity was amanzingly stable not perfect but pretty goodfor the FQ's being run. I have high hopes for your settings and will report back on how they worked under my high saline, fast water conditons. rgrdz clive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2024 01:43AM by cjc.
February 09, 2024 11:15PM
I know that I have discussed this before; yet, it may be worth another reiteration.
Two weeks ago...... I hunted a very trashy site. I took my time; yet, I was targeting only coins. I heavily used/relied upon the X-Y 2D axis screen..... and dug the targets that gave a really solid 'hard dot' on the X-Y 2D axis screen. Because I was hunting by the X-Y screen...... it talked me out of digging many targets. I actually had very good success.

Today, I went back...... and hunted the exact same spot (18' x 60' strip of land). I decided to hunt by ''''audio-only''''. Audio would be my ONLY determinant. AFTER.....AFTER......AFTER I made the decision to dig. , . , . , . , . , . , . THEN I would look at the 2D screen........just for a reference......and just out of curiosity. In ALL cases..... each target displayed a very broad, wide 'splatter' on the ID screen. If I were hunting by 2D screen........ it would have talked me out of digging all of these targets........... as it DID: two weeks ago.
Results: Every third dig..... was a coin. ((One of the coins was a 1908 'O' Barber dime)).
February 10, 2024 04:43PM
Tom asked if Someone could cut and paste this to the manticore thread., so I did. Gosh. Let me premise with this: If I do NOT explain this to a good level of understanding......LET ME KNOW!!!
(((Here goes))) =

On a TRUE All Metal Mode........ ANY piece of metal....... makes the metal detector go: "BEEP". On 'some' detectors......... the VDI still works.......giving ONLY a 'visual' ID of the target......,,,,,,,,........ in a true All Metal Mode; yet, you still get a ZERO VARYING TONES ((no 'tone' ID)): "beep". Absolutely zero items (targets) are discriminated/notched out.... in a true All Metal Mode.

On Manticore.,.,.,.,., if you are in a Park Mode, a Beach Mode......a Field Mode.......,,,,,,,,,,,...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................. these are all ID Modes. NOT to be confused with "All Metal" Mode.......by definition. Yes...... in these Modes..... you can "bring in" all metals. , . , . , . , and all metal targets will be assigned a 'tone' for ID purposes. , . , . , . but/yet....... this does not constitute "ALL METAL" Mode........ by definition. They are still: ID Modes.

So. What does this have to do with: Ferrous Limits = Upper. And: Ferrous Limits = Lower?
On Manticore...... you MUST be in a ID Mode.....in order to employ Upper & Lower Ferrous Limits.

First......... let's talk about 'iron'.
Different iron items WILL have different ID's. JUST LIKE NON-FERROUS!!! A silver coin...... has a dramatically different conductivity then compared to a Nickel. , . , . , . , . , . , . , . and .... you will get a different ID for a silver coin...... as compared to the Nickel.
SAME WITH IRON! A rusty nail will have a certain ID. A piece of barbed-wire fence....will have a DIFFERENT ID as compared to a rusty nail. A steel fish hook will have yet ANOTHER different ID ...... as compared to a rusty nail. A iron boot-tack has IT'S own differing ID. A rusty bobby-pin has a certain unique ID. All iron implements have different ID's.

Adjustable iron Discrimination can do WONDERS....... in the world of unmasking.
If you are hunting a nail-infested site with Manticore.........................where there are tons of nails; yet,.......... there are no steel fish hooks, no steel bobby-pins...... no rusty barbed-wire fence pieces . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . , . it may be VERY advantageous to 'push-the-limits' deeper into the iron Discrimination via Upper & Lower Ferrous Limits.

There is a huge write-up/explanation in the old (huge) Fisher F75 thread ...on this forum.........about hair-splitting iron Discrimination uses.,.,.,.,. to include High Resolution Iron Discrimination.

Let me give just one example:
Let's say...... the site you are hunting.,.,.,., most of the iron (rusty nails) ID in the ID range of -47 to -38. (Read = Negative 47 to Negative 38). Remember..... iron/ferrous ID's in the Negative numbers range.
Now let's say you have a silver dime at 8" deep....... and a rusty nail over top of the silver dime ...at 7" deep. (((Nail and Dime on top of each other.,.,.,.,., one at 7" deep......and the other at 8" deep))). The Manticore may ID this composite nail+coin combination as -17.
You say: WAIT!!!! Almost all nails ID around -45... at this site. What could possibly ID as high as -17??? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
So..................... you adjust Ferrous Limits = Upper (on your Manticore) from a factory conservative 'safe' setting of 9........ down to 4....(which is aggressive as perdition!).
NOW targets that ID (say) -30 (read = Negative 30)....... and above .....,,,,,,...... will NOW ID somewhere in the non-ferrous tone range!
And now.............. you just recovered a silver Barber Dime .....underneath a nail !!!
Was the audio signal: a nice textbook-perfect "coin tone"? Nope!!!! Not at all. BUT....... you just unmasked a non-ferrous target....... in a carpet of nails...................that.....................never in the history of mankind.................has been performed before.
NASA-Tom

Out-of-time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2024 04:47PM by possum mo.
February 11, 2024 02:16AM
Thanks Possum!
February 11, 2024 03:47AM
VERY interesting information.

On any of those targets, were you able to determine what it was that was causing the "non-solid-dot" smear, on the X-Y screen? It would seem that there were multiple targets...did you find out what the "additional" target or targets were, in any of those cases?

Steve

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I know that I have discussed this before; yet, it
> may be worth another reiteration.
> Two weeks ago...... I hunted a very trashy site. I
> took my time; yet, I was targeting only coins. I
> heavily used/relied upon the X-Y 2D axis
> screen..... and dug the targets that gave a really
> solid 'hard dot' on the X-Y 2D axis screen.
> Because I was hunting by the X-Y screen...... it
> talked me out of digging many targets. I actually
> had very good success.
>
> Today, I went back...... and hunted the exact same
> spot (18' x 60' strip of land). I decided to hunt
> by ''''audio-only''''. Audio would be my ONLY
> determinant. AFTER.....AFTER......AFTER I made the
> decision to dig. , . , . , . , . , . , . THEN I
> would look at the 2D screen........just for a
> reference......and just out of curiosity. In ALL
> cases..... each target displayed a very broad,
> wide 'splatter' on the ID screen. If I were
> hunting by 2D screen........ it would have talked
> me out of digging all of these targets...........
> as it DID: two weeks ago.
> Results: Every third dig..... was a coin. ((One of
> the coins was a 1908 'O' Barber dime)).
February 11, 2024 12:12PM
Steve........ absolutely! NAILS!!!!
And to the point of startlization!

I don't think Mfr's are even aware of the HIGH order-of-magnitude ....of just how BAD the 'nails population' truly is.
February 11, 2024 12:48PM
Hi Tom,

Quick question:

Do you know when will be released next firmware update? And what's new on that update?

Or is super secret?

smiling smiley

Thanks!
February 11, 2024 04:59PM
airtemisa........ As of right now...... there is very little on the plate....to update the Manticore. There ARE things being 'looked at' ; yet, ..... not enough to quantify/qualify a new software update (MUU) as of yet.
February 11, 2024 07:01PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Steve........ absolutely! NAILS!!!!
> And to the point of startlization!
>
> I don't think Mfr's are even aware of the HIGH
> order-of-magnitude ....of just how BAD the 'nails
> population' truly is.

I used to hunt around old boat houses. Talk about an abundance of nails in the water! I think every bad nail was tossed into the water. I was pretty much using a PI at the time and the digging was non stop. Looking forward to hunting some of these again with the Manti and M8 coil.
February 12, 2024 12:15AM
okara...... THAT will be a game-changer!
February 12, 2024 02:31PM
Tom, for $1600 I would expect that minelab provide continuous updates just like XP and Nokta(with the legend) have been doing. That is the model that customers are expecting now.

The updates don't need to be some massive update providing all sorts of new features. For example
how about a small update that gives us the mineralization meter!