Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

O.K. new detector testing has started...DeepTech Vista RG-1000.......12/13/12 Update to include the Deep Tech Vista Gold....1/31/13 Update now to include the Vista RELIC and the Vista SMART....2/3/13 Added Nail board 2/11/13 2-ft cache test

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I picked up a Deep Tech Vista RG 1000..

Its on 12Khz runs on 12 Volt's..has two coils with it one 5 inch DD and one 11 Inch DD...Has dual tone with tone break variability..Disc only goes up to foil...it's has a very wide window for iron rejection...It takes about 7-8 point's to get a nail choppy..

Right down to particular's

This is the most powerful metal detector I have ever used...

The power has to be seen to be appreciated...

Nothing in the test garden is safe...and this is with the ground bal set perfect not negative...

The separation is as good, maybe better than the DEUS/GMP...its unreal what it will see in iron testing...the slower the sweep the deeeper it seems to be...
It reject's iron better than the GMP/DEUS..yet the depth is on another level...

Cleanest nail rejection I have seen in such a powerful detector..

Did get a real world hunt in the worst iron nail site I have...only got about 1.5 hours but did recover 2 non-ferrous keeper's and 2 ferrous keeper's...

The ferrous keepers impressed me more than the non-ferrous...it shows just how razors edge the disc is working...2 iron buckles out of a bed of nail's other machines false on nail's so the slightly larger than nail iron also sounds like a nail false...but not on the RG 1000..

Coil cable has really got to be tight on this machine or it sounds off like a silver dollar...
Coils are not of the best build quality but they are light...

Here's the target's I got in the nail hole...
Notice the buckles...the razor resolution allowed me to get these while ignoring the nails...
Thsi site is worked down to nails void of big iron..yet these buckles were hiding...
The brass Hull is a Henry .44 cliber.. civil war...notice the H on the bottom.

More to come.

I got the Vista gold Today from AMCJAVELIN...Thanks Brandon....

This machine is way more suitable for working iron in my initial impression...nothing wrong with the RG 1000 but it is geared as an all-rounder...

This Gold machine is the type machine I like...very reactive...like's small stuff....slices through iron with precision....

The Coil is a world class coil design..this is very easily seen...very tight ...amazingly tight...
The coil cable noise is gone...grade of cable is very robust...

I am very impressed with the speed of recovery and yet the depth stays up too...did not expect a 25kHz machine to hit a 10 inch dime...It slightly weaker on the dime compared to the Rg 1000 but the buttons and lower conductors in my test garden just jump out at you...

I could really take a liking to this machine...Field hunt will reveal more....It has what I like tight elliptical coil on a high freq...actually a very high freq...Nosie free coils and cable A+ on that..

machine offers
boost mode..
Tone break 2 tone ferrous non ferrous adjustabe..
slow/fast filter
iron volume
regular volume

The real essential's to work an iron contaminated site....audio seems a little more cleaner...

heres a video I did...

will let the recovery speed speak for itself...might be the best I have seen while staying audibly discernable...it's very fast and exact..

judge for yourself..I know what I see..

O yeah it sees through my red clay bricks very very well even on low conductor's.

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 11:45PM by Keith Southern.
Re: O.K. new detector testing has started...
December 01, 2012 04:06AM
Wow sounds exciting Keith but man, that sure is one "plain Jane" lookin machine!
I'd never guess it would out perform a Deus or GMP.
December 01, 2012 04:18AM
Okay Keith. Who sells them. ......................(laughing out loud at myself) (LOLAM)
December 01, 2012 04:29AM
Yes it's a no no non sense no gimmick machine Aaron..

It has bucket loads of depth...and amazing resolution...2 things we want..

If you could see what just the 11" coil does in separation and unmasking you would be sold...

I might add the audio is pure analog and very blendy like a AT-PRO in pro mode...My 10 Inch dime falls prey to it very easily ..can actually lift the coil another couple of inches and get a hit...

After what I have seen lately coming out of Europe ....The big boys need to get on the ball...

This one's out of Bulgaria...

Keith...

I think theres a couple of dealer's in the U.S Kevin...Accurate locator's is the importer I believe...

they also have a 25kHz model and a 15 Khz and a 8kHz...

Keith
December 01, 2012 04:41AM
How much that bad boy cost y'all if you dont mind me askin Keith?

Looks like Kevin has another new machine in his sites....
December 01, 2012 04:50AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much that bad boy cost y'all if you dont mind
> me askin Keith?
>
> Looks like Kevin has another new machine in his
> sites....

Aaron...you absolutely KILL me!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to post a pic of yourself so I can put a name with a face!!!
That was a good one!!! Who knows....I MIGHT fall prey to the siren call of this thread.
Keith...c'mon now, how much? Between 6 and 7 hundred from the tiny bit of research I've done.
December 01, 2012 04:58AM
If this thing works as good as you say Keith, Tom and I know the perfect place to test it....

I really like the analog sound, similar to my Deus in GMP mode.

[www.deeptech-bg.com]
December 01, 2012 05:11AM
I got it used for 500.00

Keith
December 01, 2012 05:24AM
Keith, I saw Scott had one up for sale a few months ago, don't remember if it was the 1000 or what.
His description was that wasn't that deep, more or less average, I think he may have got a dud.
His had only one coil.

Good to hear yours is running good...6 or 7 hundred? I bet it is more than that....
December 01, 2012 06:21AM
Hello Keith over my head here , noticed you said most powerful detector you've used,what do most detctors run at 9.6 volts? Does it matter wether you use 9 volt or double A's power wise? Was reading about a old Whites coinmaster V Supreme TR detector 14 AA batteries and 21 volts of power?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 06:25AM by rapidroy7.
December 01, 2012 06:30AM
I am not talking about the voltage Roy...I mean the in ground depth is way up there...Sort of like a 1266 of the 21 century...

I am sorry if I lead you the wrong way voltage wise...

Keith
Here's a Quick Video I did for the Vista RG 1000
December 01, 2012 08:56AM
Off the cuff just a quick run down and couple of test..

Sorry for the narrow picture...took with I-Phone so forgot to turn it sideway's...

Nothing fancy...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 08:57AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Here's a Quick Video I did for the Vista RG 1000
December 01, 2012 01:40PM
Looks impressive. Don't like the coil wire microphonics......... but taping it to the shaft/pole would help resolve.

Your real-world tests and results will be 'key'. Glad to see this unit. It is K.I.S.S. ..... which I am very fond of. It does appear that the U.S. is falling behind....... especially with what the GMP (and Deus) are doing in iron. The 3-dimensional detection capabilities of the GMP defy's a few basic principles of physics.

Anxious to hear/see your real-world results.
December 01, 2012 03:50PM
Keith ever wonder if you missed your calling?..........detector manufacturers could use your help......again so many detectors so little time.....
December 01, 2012 04:08PM
Keith, I know you have owned a lot of simular units and would be interested in how you would compare it to a Tejon and a Troy X5.
the reason I ask is that I have really grown to like the X5. So much info in just the sound of this unit..

Thanks
Tom in SC
December 01, 2012 04:39PM
For anyone who would like to see the unit and hear the tones, here is a good video.

[www.youtube.com]

Tom in SC
December 01, 2012 09:15PM
Hey T-manly!

You know I like the Tejon and X5 both...I think they are some of the best single tone analog's to be made.....

I favor the Tejon over the X5 for dense iron working mainly because the Tejon has more range in the nail reject area, the X5 is tight ...other words its there or it's not there when removing a nail on the X5...

I think the tejon and X5 have similar depth...

Build quality on a X5 is really above all other's...

now with that said..

And with just the minimal testing and short hunt...The Vista being a tone machine(A PLUS) I would say the vista is deeper than both...and separates a bit better..And that's hard to do now days'.

I said earlier the Vista is in the same leauge as the DEUS/GMP separation/unmasking wise.(SO FAR) and seems to have bit better depth...

Here's what get's me On the Vista 1000...Unmasking is not the an issue if you have one you are not giving much to no one it so far seems...it's the depth the machine is able to attain in the ground with a dead on ground bal...I can get the same depth on other detectors like the DEUS and such but at the cost of ground noise...

I might add the tones on the Vista 1000 are very accurate to depth...(i.e.) does not seem to have an affinity for calling deeper good target's iron..I think thts were the raw depth in ground is helping...

Theres a couple of quirks to be aware of also..like floppy coil ='s noise....The Potentiometer's are of the plastic shaft board mounted type so they are wiggly...

I think with a couple of issues addressed like the pot's and coil wire and add a "iron volume" control and keep the price around the 600 or so mark it's at right now it could really be something ...

performance is not the issue right now it's some mechanical thing's..

I might addd the designer is an avid detectorist and loves to experiment....Sort of like the XP guy...

these are the people who get out in the field and build machine's that perform...

I truly believe something great will come from a start up company's like this...

I also just found this..looks like a 8x11 elliptical DD coil is just released for the Deep Tech machine's...And a smaller version elliptical is on the way..maybe a 4x6!!!!

Hopefully the coil wire has been addressed...

Fix the potentiometer's and were cooking...

I love seeing designs come alive and evolve and grow...

I think you can see that coil is very good looking in the design...Almost looks like the new 3030 coils ...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 10:53PM by Keith Southern.
December 01, 2012 09:38PM
Oh okay, I originally thought you claimed that the unmasking was better than the XPs (though you did say separation), but at this time your saying it's so far the same.....but it's deeper than XPs.

Thing is Keith unless I missed it, you DO have a small coil with than Deep Tech, and we don't with the Deus which, isn't to fair of a comparison, unless your comparing to a GMP, which does I think...

Just my thoughts.

I really appreciate your input, as always.

Aaron
December 01, 2012 11:15PM
I dont have a small coil for the DEUS or an GMP..

What I was checking it against was the 11" Vista seems to mimic the 9 " GMP performance wise in recovery in iron and unmasking...

I am in awe of both of these detectors being able to do what they do with large coil's...

Yes the 5 inch coil does some feats the 9 inch coil can not do on the GMP...but thats not a fair comparison...not sure if or when the xp's will release a small coil...

It's almost like someone got hold of a GMP and built a vista after you run the platforms they are very very similar..

GMP reactivity is a tad faster.. yet the Vista is no slouch in speed but report's on the same target's that the GMP Does...it get's to unmasking with more blend than the GMP does...also the high tone is really high on the vista so it can really blurp out a tone in all the iron tone roll making it a bit more noticable..

the gmp is of better build quality...
the Vista is a bit deeper but that could be the 11 Inch versus 9 inch...I did not have an 11 Inch to test on my GMP...

I will say this...I think it's going to come down to splitting hairs with either platform in the nail's...coil size for coil size...but if Xp does not build a small coil the vista series already offer's one.

I hear the vista gold is a bit better in iron than the rg 1000 ..If it is, that could really be a machine to get our hands on...it has the iron volume control added to this vista type platform...with a recovery speed selector and it's on 25kHz..

I want to really get my hand's on that one...

These Europeans are really getting dialed into what matter's...

I wish FT would give us a stripped down F75 process mode with reactivity switch.. with low E.M.I. with dual tone user adjustable break, iron volume...Take the meter off and give us real knobs on the face plate...

Keith
December 02, 2012 12:40AM
Keith...... the GMP does indeed have a small coil........ and I did test it. It is a 4" x 7" elliptical DD. It actually measures a bit smaller........ and I do feel it would be a fair/comparable basis to the 5" round DD. In fact 5x5=25 and 7x4=28....... with the 7x4 actually measuring a bit smaller. BUT..... I also feel the ELLIPTICAL config does indeed provide a bit more of a addy. ((((I think I wrote this report up in the XP GMP field-test thread)))).
Yes...... the 11" coil on your new unit may indeed be providing that extra depth .. vs .. the 9" coil on the GMP.

Yes..... testing the DTV RG 1000 at 25-Khz (especially with adjustable iron volume) should present substantial differential..... as compared to the unit you are currently testing.
December 02, 2012 01:07AM
Thats good to know on the 4x7 Tom..

I had it in my mind it was a 5x10...That 4x7 would be a good match up...for testing real world hunt's..

Again the machines seem so close that it's eerie...Yet the Vista has its own signature in some way's.And vice-a-versa..These 2 designers are on the same page...They know what it takes to Unmask in iron...they have to build them ...No one else will...

I might be seeing the extra depth with the 11" coupled up to the lower 12 Khz...Low freq's do help punch..
Side note: I got the smoothest signal yesterday in the wood's and commenced to dig the deepest .22 caliber lead bullet to date..it was so smooth sounding and it was very deep in orange dirt...

That makes you wonder what the Gmaxx depth would be on silver ..it being the same platfrom the GMP is on, but running 4kHz...

Heres a couple of the Vista's that look's like they could be very functional...

Heres the Vista Gold 25kHz...
Makes you want to try one
It has a boost mode also..Switchable on and off..

Also a 15kHz
Model with boost mode..same at the Rg 1000 but slightly higher freq and boost mode..

I think we can see that solid performance is more important than flashy meter's and catchy marketing...

I do like innovation !
I like to make finds !

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 01:29AM by Keith Southern.
December 02, 2012 01:18AM
The Vista Gold running at 25 kHz really likes the small stuff. I watched a Video on it. Having operated the Deus at 18 kHz and finding really small pieces of metal I would think the Vista Gold would appeal more to the relic hunter than coin shooter. The Vista Gold also has the power boost switch. I have not seen that switch being activated on film. Is it a gimmick?

I look forward to more testing results. Keith your words do make or break detector sales.

You know what they forgot on the Vista don't you? I need a screen with red and blue dots.

They are also advertising the new coil as waterproof. I guess the old DD coils are not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 01:39AM by goodmore.
Re: O.K. new detector testing has started...DEEP TECH Vista RG-1000
December 02, 2012 01:32AM
I have sent an email to the place in oregon that is, according to thh Vista website, supposed to be the Ameican distributor, but not yet any word. of sourse it's Saturday. But surely they check their email address. I'd like to at least TALK to them and see what's up (how many, how much, and what models are in stock) I may get a diferent model than Keith and then send it to him or NasaTom for testing. It really needs to be in the hands of a seasoned detectorists so as to get an accurate assessment.
December 02, 2012 01:43AM
Hey Goodmore...

I think the boost is more like an audio amp...I have seen it in use in the U.K.

This is the 15kHz model vista smart...it is about like the RG 1000..Just has boost ability...and the tones are little lower
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Keith
December 02, 2012 01:48AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm........... inexpensively priced Trump cards!?!?!? (((( THAT outta turn the world up-side-down )))).

Yes, I too have interest in testing a 4-Khz GMP (Gmaxx)............ knowing it probably is deeper on high conductors; yet, due to low freq....... will not have the unmasking capabilities of the GMP. . . . and by a fairly large margin. This can be witnessed with the Deus on a lower freq...... especially on 4-Khz.

Kevin...... sure........... if you get one........... I would run it through the reasonable/usual/customary scientifically-based test-procedures.
December 02, 2012 01:50AM
Deep Tech has many machines you can visit their website:
[www.deeptech-bg.com]
Plenty of videos there as well.

A number of Findmall guys have had the 1000's for several years now. Keith probably got one of those.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 02, 2012 03:35AM
Hey Tom...

I ran across this awhile ago reading about George Payne...

"George has repeatedly stated that the best frequencies for detecting all
targets were between 10 and 15 khz, meaning frequencies in that range
would respond better on targets from low in the conductivity range to high
in the conductivity range than either a higher than 15 khz or lower than 10
khz. He said the optimum frequency for single frequency detectors was 12.5
khz, and he designed the Treasure Baron series to run at that frequency.
Below is part of article by Gary Finch that corresponds with what George
says.

I've done a lot of research and field tests on this over the years, and the
results have consistently indicated that a detector with an operating
frequency between 10 and 15 KHZ does the best job on a wide variety of
targets, from relics to gold nuggets. This is one reason Tesoro detectors are
so popular as all around units: most of them operate between 10 and 12.5
KHZ, where they are extremely efficient.

My conclusions about operating frequency have come from years of tests,
both the usual in-ground tests on buried targets, (which of course are
always a little subjective, even in the most unbiased), and many scientific
tests on buried targets to determine the amount of voltage response
generated, using an oscilloscope and recorder, etc. (No big deal about this, I
just wanted to learn the truth about it for myself, and had the necessary
equipment).

I've talked with George Payne about this, and this was one reason why he
designed the Treasure Baron as a 12.5 KHZ single frequency unit: after a lot
of tests he came to the same conclusion. This was the optimum frequency
for detecting all metals."

End Of Quote

Sort of ironic the RG 1000 their all around unit... uses this exact frequency...12.5kHz..

Looks like this designer was looking for all the angles when he deisgned the RG 1000...

Interesting..

First Texas' all a rounder's F75/t2 is close to the 12.5Khz to...I think it's dead on 13kHz..

George says that's the best ...Can't argue with George...LOL!!!

Keith
December 02, 2012 12:15PM
This is absolutely correct; yet, for the crazy ones (like you and I)..... of whom have "discovered the undiscovered" ........... and have learned that the bulk of the targets in planet Earth are in high human travel concentrated/concentration areas......... whereby, large volumes of iron nails 'carpet' the ground.........(you and I go out of our way to 'live' in these carpets of nails)....... this alone adds a different/unique twist to George Payne's textbook validated correctness. In complex (multi-target) scenarios.......... in particular: iron/fe nails............ causes a deviation in the 'ideal' "single/solo target" ...frequency selection. Higher freqs seem to unmask the non-Fe targets in Fe infestations......... at a substantially better rate (and with paradox impositions).
December 02, 2012 02:19PM
And what about the lower frequencies for silver coins. Surely George Payne included silver coins as part of his testing (I need to get that book) and if so, did HE discover that silver respoded better to 3 to 8 khz as I often see touted on ALL metal detecting forums!!??
December 02, 2012 08:03PM
Hello there Keith that machine you have right there was mine originally and its been one of the best machines i ever owned, i also have the Vista Gold and RELIC the relic is very deep running on 8.2khz also has a boost andsomething n the vista gold you don't dee on any other machine is fast/slow recovery flip switch fast is intended for plucking out iron in fested area's where the slow is more for light black sand conditions and working slow these to machines compliment each other I first go in with the gold trying to get the small stuff and after most of the stuff is cleaned up i bring in the Relic to clean house these too i'd ever part with i can tell you from experience the RG 1000 is no slouch this spring my buddys etrac he would get a deep dime signal and i could match him 2 barber dimes he doug at a measured 11" and far as waterproof coils i never had a problem but i always put a silcone spray on anyways just a cheap insurance and i've tried the ocean beach up here in Maine great in dry sand but salt doesn't like it so i put on a big sandwich bag over the coil and then problems seemed to go away thoughs of you that relic and coin hunt old places this is a kick ass machine