Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whites MX SPORT

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Whites MX SPORT
January 18, 2016 07:08PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Andy Sabisch informed me he has been testing this
> since November last year.

I can't wait for his review! I just know it will be good!
January 18, 2016 07:24PM
New video
[m.youtube.com]
January 18, 2016 07:44PM
The general assumption is that this is Whites answer to compete with the AT Pro. What if it is to be a new flagship to compete against the Minelab CTX 3030 instead?! That would be a whole different animal if the performance was there and that $1,300 price that seems to be floating around wouldn't be so bad compared to the 3030. As soon as I find out that North GA Relics has them at the shop, I will be there to coonfinger it and may even leave with one.
January 18, 2016 08:07PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Andy Sabisch informed me he has been testing
> this
> > since November last year.
>
> I can't wait for his review! I just know it will
> be good!

"Yeah...he hasn't penned a poor one yet!"
January 18, 2016 08:14PM
awendaw Wrote:
> New video

"Wow! They're even doing the "drip, drop, drip ML did for the Shee Tee Ex 2 WEEK Introduction that resulted in 'peeing off' the majority of the hobbyist fraternity!!!

Sure looks as they're expecting to sell [heaps of] them!!! (Aussie expression)...
January 18, 2016 10:42PM
Waterproof to ten foot. Good looking machine also.
January 19, 2016 02:26AM
showard Wrote:
> White's forum NOW allows debating all brands of
> metal detectors by name and brand. However,
> bashing, or sales postering, are still not
> allowed.
>
> Guess extended warranties are popular for some.
> For me, however, the odds are just too poor. I
> ask a extended warranty pro once "who sells the
> best extended warranty"? He said, "you do", put
> some money in the bank, name the account extended
> warranty, there you go, best program there is.

thank you steve howard.. this is a good sign that whites is moving in the right direction. hope so.. its gonna be the mxsport or the nokta impact.. price may be the deciding factor ..
January 19, 2016 02:51AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> The general assumption is that this is Whites
> answer to compete with the AT Pro. What if it is
> to be a new flagship to compete against the
> Minelab CTX 3030 instead?! That would be a whole
> different animal if the performance was there and
> that $1,300 price that seems to be floating around
> wouldn't be so bad compared to the 3030. As soon
> as I find out that North GA Relics has them at the
> shop, I will be there to coonfinger it and may
> even leave with one.

Anyman that uses the term "coonfinger" is alright by me lol
January 20, 2016 10:01PM
White's did offer extended warranties in the 1980's. Hard to feel good about about it when you see the actual data, 1 in 1,000.

Unlikely White's will offer an extended warranty program in the near term.

Many third parties will sell an aftermarket extended warranty for anything.

I can see the advantage if you end up with a lot of issues, much like insurance.
January 20, 2016 11:06PM
OK, I guess I can weigh in here as a guy that sold boats, outboards, ATVs, snowmobiles, generators.... and even metal detectors, for 40 years. Extended warranties are a cash cow for any dealership and the reason why companies got so aggressive pushing them. The vast majority are not an extension of the manufacturer warranty but an actual insurance policy with specific terms and conditions and lots of fine print and loopholes. For the lack of a better term, and hopefully nobody here takes offence - they are a suckers bet.

Now in the case where you can get a true extension of the manufacturer warranty I think they are maybe ok. The reality is most genuine warranty (manufacturer defect) items do not hide out for years. If you use the unit they come to light quickly, often in days. Manufacturer defects coming to light after years of use are so incredibly rare as to be non-existent.

The reason why I say they can be ok is twofold. First, there is value in peace of mind. The customer may never use the extended warranty, true. But if they buy some peace of mind, the ability to sleep well at night, there is value there. Second, despite intentions, not all detectors get used much in the initial warranty period. Maybe family issues intrude, whatever, and it sits unused until the warranty is about up. In that case being able to buy another year or two of genuine factory warranty could have value.

The bottom line here I would like to leave everyone with is A. beware extended non-manufacturer warranty. I NEVER buy them myself, knowing the insides of how the game works. B. I would ask Steve H (the other one) to at least consider that the idea of extending the true factory warranty as an option offered to people is not somehow stealing their money. It is simply an option that can be offered and may very well have value for people under some circumstances. it is trying to shove it down people's throats where it goes astray.

I actually do not care about length of warranty myself. it is transferable warranty that matters. White's was actually the first to offer that I believe in detector land. It makes try and buy much nicer knowing you can sell the machine and the warranty goes with the machine. The guys I boo are the ones that only warranty first owner.

I AM LOVING THAT MX SPORT MSRP - GOOD JOB WHITE'S!
January 21, 2016 11:35AM
I agree Steve. When i bought an Xcal II several years back...... they had several known problems. IE... coils, headphones, knobs, switches, and O rings leaks. Most people with a one year warranty may not even hunt enough to know they have a problem. As someone who hunted EVERY day several hours a day ........ i had them all. On the second coil issue MLs reply to me was "you hunt to much"....and know they didnt fix that problem. Personally, id like to see and additional year or so ..... as a promotion/introduction.

Dew
January 21, 2016 02:01PM
Well I may have already wore out my welcome on this thread.

But here is what's missing, and I have indeed mentioned this before on this forum.

Consider this.

It is obvious some folks get to use their detectors more than some other folks.

I think this would equate moreso for example to a person who could be labled as a " commercial user" vs a " casual user".

So the person who indeed is a casual user--- they don't use as much, hence less possibility of something going wrong with their detector, and the commercial user the opposite.

What if for example White's would have put an "in use" run time hour meter on the detector, and in doing so offered say a warranty much like you see with auto warranties.

Say offer a warranty for a time period say 3 years or xxx hours--- whichever comes first.

This would indeed balance the warranty period offered--- depending on how much a detector is used.

Something I feel is very doable, something new in the metal detector industry.

And true folks are it seems many times interested when buying a used detector-- the overall condition.

But down the road, this additional information with run time available I think would be a good thing.

Just a common sense approach I think for a manufacturer to consider.

And consider this fact.

Could a warranty offered-- these warranties offered that are based solely on a calendar year basis.
A person say living in Michigan for example--- they purchase in late November, but because of weather can't even use the detector until say March.
So their warranty on their new purchase is indeed burning off--- with virtually no use whatever.

But a person who lives in Florida, not the case.

So with the calendar year warranty period--- who really gets the most benefit???
Someone living in Fla or Mi??

And for a manufacturer to indeed acknowledge this with my recommendation would be a breath of fresh air.
I realize warranty repairs cost are built in to the overall sales price.
And everyone who purchases brand x model y detector pay the same price for these potential warranty repairs.
And so a warranty plan based on my recommendations would indeed give the different folks more of an equal representation standing with warranty when using their units.

And could doing such actually reflect a companies quality in a detector down the road--- for possible marketing claims??

We all see where folks stated for example brand x model y they have has been used for xx years and no problems.
But this doesn't really paint a true picture-- meaning a company may not be getting the credit they really deserve.

But what if a person down the road can say,
My detector has been run for X hours during a x period-- with no problems noted.

For me this really paints a much truer pic of overall quality.

And if these hours run in the field are indeed earth shattering for a certain brand/ model-- with few or no problems .
Folks would take note.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 02:51PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 21, 2016 04:29PM
An hour meter would be awesome! Think of how many people that claim to have put a hundred or more hours on their machine and just can't learn it or don't like it and oh ohh theres the hour meter 17 hours of actual on time lol! Or the sellers who claim only used by grandpa on sundays and then only one sunday a year and well i'll be theres over 900 hours on that meter! Seriously though i would have no use for one other than seeing how many hours i put on a machine. I have never had to send a whites in for service other than a broken pp trigger which was my fault. And theres been 15 or so whites here in the last 20 some years. i don't get too worried bout warranties or guarantees didn't tommy boy have a good line bout warranties? something bout the bull and checking your steak or just taking the butchers word for it. Me personally i would rather have whites two year warranty that follows the machine than a five year one that goes poof in 6 months if machine is sold. now dont get me wrong my main use detector is not a whites at the moment its actually one from the 5 year company that warranty goes poof when sold. i do think detector companies should offer extended warranties like auto companies do. they would make money with them that could be used to help design and build new detectors to further our hobby. I wouldn't buy one but i'm thinking it would help add some extra cash to the books. Plus people that don't need the extra insurance wouldn't be affected and those that do would have it. Simple! lol! Anyways what i really want is the mxsport in my truck and some 45 50 degree weather try it out at some sites i have located this winter!
January 21, 2016 05:31PM
I like the idea of the hour meter....check it once at beginning and end of detecting season...
divide the total hours into clad total and see what my hourly wage would be...'priceless'...
January 22, 2016 01:29AM
If the reviews are good, I may put off my makro purchase

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 02:10AM by neptronix.
January 22, 2016 02:03AM
They already install internal clocks in every darn appliance I own. From my car, refrigerator, stove and DVD player - They all go bad 3 days after the warranty is up!! I don't want that in my detector!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
January 22, 2016 01:00PM
We do get bent out of shape with warranties, but other electronic also have a very limited warranty ..... and they arent being used in water. So do we have expectations we shouldnt? Dont get me wrong....... i did a lot of damage, but the machine paid for its self many times over during that year too. Since then ive changed to the older models and reduced my hunting hours and have (knock on wood) almost eliminated repairs.

Ill tell you what a watch maker told me after he repaired my TAG dive watch...... there is no such thing as a waterproof watch. Honestly, every salt water machine i know has or has will leak. Its the price tag now days that gets us ticked........ but are we just nieve? Personally, im looking forward to the OTHER machine some have mentioned that Whites is doing more for salt water.
January 22, 2016 05:24PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:

> Ill tell you what a watch maker told me after he
> repaired my TAG dive watch...... there is no such
> thing as a waterproof watch.

"I won't ever buy another TAG Heuer!!! They spend [ more time ] (pardon the pun) in the shop or should I say, [ the Factory ] than they do on your wrist!!!
Awful troublesome things, Tag's. To do a repair "right", (waterproofing after repair) they have to be returned to an Authorized Center (wherever that might be and you're weeks without it)
Bought mine in Cape Cod Mall in 1990 - swam with it almost every day till it gave up the ghost one Sunday afternoon swimming on Longboat Key Fla in 1999
During that time it had been repaired / cleaned / refurbished with new glass, strap, around a dozen times"

Been using a "Seiko Orange Monster" since 2007 and still ticking and never repaired at all!!!!"
January 22, 2016 05:39PM
showard Wrote:
> White's did offer extended warranties in the
> 1980's. Hard to feel good about about it when you
> see the actual data, 1 in 1,000.
>
> Unlikely White's will offer an extended warranty
> program in the near term.
>
> Many third parties will sell an aftermarket
> extended warranty for anything.
>
> I can see the advantage if you end up with a lot
> of issues, much like insurance.

You want an extended warranty, just purchase the detector with your AMEX card, and get one extra free year of coverage.

Here's the details:

When an American Express Card Member charges an eligible product with his or her Card account, Extended Warranty can provide up to one extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Coverage is up to the actual amount charged to your Card for the item up to a maximum of $10,000; not to exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year.

You're welcome.
January 23, 2016 02:14PM
Already for sale in Canada at $1088.99 Canadian = $770US.
Product delivery awaiting arrival, on order.
Probably $699.99 in the USA

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 23, 2016 02:42PM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Already for sale in Canada at $1088.99 Canadian =
> $770US.
> Product delivery awaiting arrival, on order.
> Probably $699.99 in the USA

the AT Pro is $779 up here so quite a bit more expensive (add 13% tax also).....

the USD price (discounted) looks very good....though $750 street is probably more realistic initially....

are you going to get one Sven?
January 23, 2016 02:47PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Im impressed about the unit for sure after reading
> the manual and seeing the pics..inside pics look
> good too..
>
> Even added backlight..
>
> Starting to sound like a waterproof MXT..
>
> and that could be just AWESOME..
>
> I would like to know if the relic mode tone break
> is user adjustable?
>
> The battery box is Intelligent.. remote mount..and
> screw on lid like infinium...good design..
> If it leals machine is still safe from water
> damage..
>
> The control box seems to be of sturdy lexan
> material...good looking board...
>
> Im impressed,,
>
> Glad Ive held off on a water unit..
>
> Keith

What possibility do you think this will perform near or better than the FG+ or Racer?
January 23, 2016 02:53PM
January 23, 2016 02:56PM
Hahaha Des...didnt mean to bring back Tag nightmares. My point was more on the line of if it goes in the water expect the worst.
January 23, 2016 03:50PM
Wow! If the MX Sport details for $699.99 they'll sell a bundle! I'll surely get one.

Really like the 10" DD center mount coil, may lack depth as compared with larger coils but this 10" DD center mount may be the all purpose coil for both water and most inland including areas with iron. Those that need depth, can always with a larger coil.

Overall, a nice detector. Not too thrilled with the weight or battery appearance, looks cheesy to me but hey it keeps the batteries dry and relocates the battery weight below the arm rest.

Those that go with 8 or 20 tone, feel using this many tones the iron and foil audio will be too close, that's from SST experience. Hopefully Whites addressed this issue.

May get one, strictly for water and relic.
Paul
January 23, 2016 04:47PM
Do they come with headphones like the Garrett AT'S?
January 23, 2016 10:08PM
Good question on the headphones Frank. Wondering about that point myself.
I have a TDI that I sent back to Whites that I bought used. I broke a pot removing a knob while waterproofing the unit. My fault. They fixed the pot for very little. Checked the calibration on the unit, and found a crack in the coil cable. They said the coil was covered under warranty even though it was several years old. Sent me a new coil with the unit. Also have a Dual Field that a particularly bad wave caught the coil and broke one of the mounting ears off. They replaced the coil and had it back to me in five days. Great service and have been a happy customer of theirs since I started detecting with a Spectrum XLT in the 1980's. Good companies are reasonable to deal with wheather their units are in warranty or not.
Water units for especially harsh conditions such as salt water, then yes, warranty becomes far more important to me than on a land unit. Freshwater can leak into a water detector and not destroy it immediately. Salt water, one single drop can mean disaster to the unit. Add in the beating from the waves and sand can cause problems that no land detector will ever see.
I like the look of the MX Sport for land and freshwater use. The price is in line to be very competitive in it's market. Waiting to see a few reviews from real world users, but it is on my short list of detectors to be my next purchase. I love the Fisher CZ 6a to this day because it is deep and rainproof. This machine is not multi frequency so it is not going to be a saltwater machine. I am thinking I will like this machine because of really good iron separation and it will be rainproof. Hopefully it will also have good depth of detection as well. The other features and how well they work will quickly show themselves for better or worse...Stuart
January 23, 2016 11:15PM
canslawhero Wrote:

> are you going to get one Sven?

Tempted, I don't have a good VLF water unit.
Don't care for the AT Pro, had the Detectorpro Wader and Divers, 1280x, TigerShark, Garrett XL500, Beach Hunter ID.
Looking for something better.
Waiting to see what optional coils, headphones will be available.
And most of all will wait and see how the reviews go.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 24, 2016 01:07AM
Wish it had Adjustable Modulated Audio or at Least a Modulation ON/OFF option. I do like the 4 Tone Option as to Me 4 is the perfect amount of Tones. And submersible/waterproof is also nice. Good to see White's a True ''American Company'' back in the game!
January 24, 2016 01:33AM
According to a post Andy S made it does have modulation as an option.