Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
September 17, 2017 09:22AM
Got to feel for the other manufacturers at Detectival, guessing they weren't prepared for the Impact that the Equinox was going to have, must of ate into their sales at the show.
It's spec at that price point is going to be a hard act to follow.
September 17, 2017 09:36AM
SteveG - Yeah, I pretty much agree with your thinking regarding FE and CO (2D screen). The Equinox is not FBS tech, so perhaps they just don't have that FE and CO data to deal with. But if they do, or can, I'd love to see a higher end unit, on price with the E-Trac, with the 2D screen, numbers, in color, etc.
Clearly there are some tricks in the code to make the number move around less. I wonder if the Equinox is indeed stable, is it due to the code more so, or the MF tech? We need to ask the testers how the SF compares to the MF ones. Part of the answer, but doesn't answer the FE and CO ?

You know, when I got a CTX, I was amazed how the FE number was so stable at depth. On my E-Trac it bounced (my soil is fairly iron mineralized). I sort of missed the bouncing tbh, as it was a part of the detective work. Just like people reminisce on the flutey silver of the Explorers, that the E-Trac only had a little bit of and the CTX no longer had.

I get "going forward" is in a way sometimes less fun in a sense, after all, it isn't about the goal (to a point) but the journey. That said, I am stoked that Minelab finally listened and gave us something like a light E-Trac.

bigboar/others re your pic - Better (=Deeper than) the CTX? I hope! >grinning smiley<
September 17, 2017 09:44AM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got to feel for the other manufacturers at Detecti
> val, guessing they weren't prepared for the Impact
> that the Equinox was going to have, must of ate in
> to their sales at the show.
> It's spec at that price point is going to be a har
> d act to follow.

On paper it sound like a great machine,and you are probably right it may have taken sales away from the other competitors,but at the end of the day a detector is just a lump of plastic,alloy and some electronics inside of it,the detector on its own 'does not' find you anything,its the experience and skill set of the operator that produces the magic and not just the detector.

Folks will be seduced by the very slick advertising that will come over the coming months showing pots of gold,valuable coins,gold nuggets and the list can go on and on,do/will folks fall for all this 'hype' of course they will,they are all brain washed looking for that elusive magical detector that probably wont come along for a very long time,if ever......Bottom line its called human nature.
September 17, 2017 10:09AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Not to rush them but if they get the timing just right on it, they
> could have it out before Christmas and that would b
> e on a LOT of people's Christmas list.

I wouldn't complain if they could release it tomorrow and add some updates in February. smiling smiley
September 17, 2017 10:12AM
No doubt there JD, though if i was a manufacturer selling in that price bracket i'd be scratching my head, wondering where to go next, on spec it leaves the rest trailing, it could well stiffle other manufacturers introducing new models which is a bad thing for us.

Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Got to feel for the other manufacturers at Detec
> ti
> > val, guessing they weren't prepared for the Impa
> ct
> > that the Equinox was going to have, must of ate
> in
> > to their sales at the show.
> > It's spec at that price point is going to be a h
> ar
> > d act to follow.
>
> On paper it sound like a great machine,and you are
> probably right it may have taken sales away from t
> he other competitors,but at the end of the day a d
> etector is just a lump of plastic,alloy and some e
> lectronics inside of it,the detector on its own 'd
> oes not' find you anything,its the experience and
> skill set of the operator that produces the
> magic and not just the detector.
>
> Folks will be seduced by the very slick advertisin
> g that will come over the coming months showing po
> ts of gold,valuable coins,gold nuggets and the lis
> t can go on and on,do/will folks fall for all this
> 'hype' of course they will,they are all brain wash
> ed looking for that elusive magical detector that
> probably wont come along for a very long time,if e
> ver......Bottom line its called human nature.
September 17, 2017 11:10AM
I am hearing folks in Europe desiring Equinox may have units in possession approx in mid Dec time frame.
Don't know if this applies to both models though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 11:11AM by Sod-buster.
September 17, 2017 12:03PM
I can only afford one new detector a year in my budget now! Looks like the 2018 budget is shot!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 12:11PM by Alpha Goat.
September 17, 2017 12:28PM
I didnt see a sensiyivity adjustment on the prototype units. I tend to believe the units at detectival where tuned hot which is why the double beeping edges of thecoil where so prevelant in the videos. 5 inches above target and the edge of the coil was still double beeping over the target as if right on top of it. A few in ground test would of been nice to see. The only one I scene that was close to a in ground test was by idetect and the equinox disnt seem to hit the target. I really hope this unit gets as much depth and the etrac and ctx lets say I would sacrifice the 2d screen and bouncy numbers for equal depth. What would put this machine over the top would be a wireless pinpointer with iron sound scheme added in like the x1 probe did for the etrac.
September 17, 2017 12:48PM
I think this detector is being over hyped. People should wait until seeing some actual performance before assuming it will obsolete all other mid range detectors.
September 17, 2017 12:59PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
> I didnt see a sensiyivity adjustment on the protot
> ype units. I tend to believe the units at detectiv
> al where tuned hot which is why the double beeping
> edges of thecoil where so prevelant in the videos.
> 5 inches above target and the edge of the coil was
> still double beeping over the target as if right o
> n top of it. A few in ground test would of been ni
> ce to see. The only one I scene that was close to
> a in ground test was by idetect and the equinox di
> snt seem to hit the target. I really hope this uni
> t gets as much depth and the etrac and ctx lets sa
> y I would sacrifice the 2d screen and bouncy numbe
> rs for equal depth. What would put this machine ov
> er the top would be a wireless pinpointer with iro
> n sound scheme added in like the x1 probe did for
> the etrac.

I tend to believe the double beeps were caused by the faster reactivity settings used.
I mean they did seem to want to show the potential speed of unit.
September 17, 2017 01:06PM
steveg Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> -----
> > "I'm not into reading Leeeeeeeeeengthy posts rig
> ht
> > now 'cos they're all speculation!"
>
> Sorry, Des. My posts usually are on the lengthy s
> ide.
>
> I'm just a dinosaur; I can't roll with the twitter
> generation. My brain doesn't work in "tweets." :
> )
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

Not to worry buddy.... I was joshing!!!!!

It's fun, reading the hysteria that will go on for months!!!

Des D
September 17, 2017 01:15PM
ghound Wrote:
> Got to feel for the other manufacturers at Detecti
> val, guessing they weren't prepared for the Impact
> that the Equinox was going to have, must of ate in
> to their sales at the show.
> It's spec at that price point is going to be a har
> d act to follow.

Ghound,

Sales of machines are rare enough at Rallies! People don't carry much Cash.
Second hands & Accessories do sell well though.
Having said that, I've often stood at 'Regton's stand', done some demos and people fly off to drive around the country withdrawing £200 at a time, that's if they can find ATM's and even banks in the 'rural' locations rallies are normally held!
Hell. one fella disappeared at 2.00pm and returned at 7.00pm with the guts of a grand!!!
But, and I emphasise 'but', opinions are certainly formed at rallies when people see and watch 'Demos!'
And that's what all the Manufactuer's are doing there in the first place...as well as 'trying to win' customers with usually fantastic 'freebies!'
September 17, 2017 01:31PM
This is the fastest growing thread...... in the shortest period of time....... in the history of this web-site! i LOVE to see this much "passion". Yes...... this particular forum is loaded with 'excessive burning passion' detectorists. We detectorists are alive-and-well!

Yes...... Brandon Niece did make a very bold statement about the Equinox being deeper than the CTX. I'm sure he is well aware that his word/statement will carry around the world ..... in an instant..... due to the internet. He would lose the worlds trust.... if his statement turns out to be wrong/false. I doubt he'd want to do that.

Minelab sure has a incredible 'following'......... self included.

I do reserve one primary question: If the Equinox' multi-freq option is so spectacular.......... then why is there still a need for all of the other single-freq options. (( I reserve plenty of speculated answers. ))

Technological advancements are welcomed with open arms!
September 17, 2017 01:42PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Brandon Niece says the Equinox has relegated his C
> TX to his number 2 spot.

"There's 2 sides of the coin to that statement.
Minelab selected him 9 months ago ( his words from the video Re: time frame ) so they sent him a test model ( maybe multiples ? ) or, upgrade his one test model by upgradable software and USB ( that's what they have done in the past )
They then gave him explicit instructions and asked for specific results from those tests.
He reports back and 'several days' later they send him 'new' software and he repeats the process.

From day to day week to week he might be testing completely different software AND settings.
Some 'functions' might be new, others that he had yesterday, may be gone?
But, what transpires is he gets to test and use the prototype model/s for months at a time and wouldn't 'wish to' use another detector during the time he has allocated to testing the prototype because he's on a Deadline.

What I think has happened here is he has seen 'the potential' that "Equinox" has to offer and realised that it's doing [ all he wants ] and doesn't see the need to carry [ a heavier detector ] and/or a detector with so many functions that he considers them superfluous. And the past 9 mths have been warm/hot months.

I'm basing the above on my own experience in developing detectors for market.
Most of the time, I used the 'prototype' exclusively even while hunting myself at weekends because it was all development time (yes, I worked seven days a week) and the only time a different detector (or other detectors) were used was [ to compare it to the prototype ] to judge if 'X model' was better or worse than the prototype being developed within a tight window.

After Detectival ( and other similar events taking place in other countries ) what will happen will be exactly the same as what "Garrett" have done with the AT Max - back to the drawing board to (a) make it better as per suggested feedback (b) finish it and get it out there.
September 17, 2017 01:48PM
So you can switch back and forth between the frequencies and see the difference.
smiling smiley
September 17, 2017 01:58PM
Des D Wrote:
> ghound Wrote:
> -----
> > Got to feel for the other manufacturers at Detec
> ti
> > val, guessing they weren't prepared for the Impa
> ct
> > that the Equinox was going to have, must of ate
> in
> > to their sales at the show.
> > It's spec at that price point is going to be a h
> ar
> > d act to follow.
>
>
> Ghound,
>
> Sales of machines are rare enough at Rallies! Peop
> le don't carry much Cash.
> Second hands & Accessories do sell well though.
> Having said that, I've often stood at 'Regton's st
> and', done some demos and people fly off to drive
> around the country withdrawing £200 at a time, tha
> t's if they can find ATM's and even banks in the '
> rural' locations rallies are normally held!
> Hell. one fella disappeared at 2.00pm and returned
> at 7.00pm with the guts of a grand!!!
> But, and I emphasise 'but', opinions are certainly
> formed at rallies when people see and watch 'Demos
> !'
> And that's what all the Manufactuer's are doing th
> ere in the first place...as well as 'trying to win
> ' customers with usually fantastic 'freebies!'

" My record was 5 detectors in one day!"
September 17, 2017 02:03PM
Let's assume the 800 model Equinox will only find 90% of the targets CTX can.
But a person is spending around half the $$ and packing around approx 2 pounds less weight.
Don't sound like too bad a deal.

Wonder if due to weight, swing speed forgiveness more actual ground can be covered faster with more efficiency (surface targets down to 8" depth strata) using Equinox.
Could this offset the finds rate allowing Equinox to catch and minimize the 10% difference?

Very possible.
Again sounds like a good deal.

So who wins the turtle or the hare?
Could be either on any given day.
But hare has more loot in the bank, we know this much.
The turtle likely has sore arm more often if field time is equaled to equinox user.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 02:13PM by Sod-buster.
September 17, 2017 02:29PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> This is the fastest growing thread...... in the sh
> ortest period of time....... in the history of thi
> s web-site! i LOVE to see this much "passion". Y
> es...... this particular forum is loaded with 'exc
> essive burning passion' detectorists. We detectori
> sts are alive-and-well!
>
> Yes...... Brandon Niece did make a very bold state
> ment about the Equinox being deeper than the CTX.
> I'm sure he is well aware that his word/statement
> will carry around the world ..... in an instant...
> .. due to the internet. He would lose the worlds t
> rust.... if his statement turns out to be wrong/fa
> lse. I doubt he'd want to do that.

"I wouldn't be a bit worried if it's not deeper! Depth isn't everything!
If he made a slip up so what? Easy to do getting caught up in the excitement of the moment!
But, if he's right???? We had two opposing statements Re: waterproof 3 or 10 metres???
Why o why a lesser model deeper???

Maybe he should be asked to clarify the statement? The sooner etc"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 02:38PM by Des D.
September 17, 2017 02:53PM
Tom and Daniel bring up a good point regarding the number of different freqs offered. I love the multi freq of FBS for coins /relics but it does not prospect well. So, the 40 kHz option looks as though it may solve that for me. Thats all I need...just those two freq choices. I now have my coin hunter, prospecting, waterproof machine all wrapped in to one. Obviously, everyone will have different needs and the Equinox seems to fill that with multiple choices of freqs. As Daniel mentioned the Impact seemed to be optimized for certain freqs better than others and, depending on your ground/targets, only a couple of the freqs performed well. I found myself only using two of the freqs offered on the Impact and one a lot more than the other. It, basically, became a single freq machine for me. I would imagine the Equinox will become a "multi plus one" for most based on my experience with selective freq machines. I'm excited to see it in action! I think Minelab still has some bugs to work out of it and it will only get better prior to release. What we've seen thus far is just intro stuff.

I can only hope (for my needs) that the multi setting and tones in that setting are like the Etrac and that the 40kHz is like that of the GM1000. The 2D screen would be awesome as well.

Dean
September 17, 2017 03:08PM
PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's calm down LOL Anyway, the one that was shown at Detectival was a prototype and most likely not the most recent build(why show an unfinished product? many reasons most having to do with reaction of the consumer and sales).

So the screen display(which is going to change) and the way it operates(fine tuning depth, reactivity, etc) and perhaps adjustments to the coil, are all options that may happen. From my understanding and data gathered, this is a new type of tech. To compare it based on second hand info, and a few videos(I watched them all) is just as speculative as before the machine was announced.

Release date:

Right now there is a rumor, that it will be released on 2/2018. I thinking the machine is much more near completion than that. It's a matter of fine tuning, final testing, and then making the units. So 6 months I think, is the more extreme case. A good "heads up" will be when dealers are advertising it and are taking actual pre-orders. This will tell you when the production of the units will be near completion.

Believe me, I want this machine as much, if not more than the next guy, but we are going to have to wait.

BTW, if any Minelab people are reading this, please fix the onscreen depth meter to reading inches/cm instead of the shovel thing PLEASE!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 03:12PM by Beyonder-Pa.
September 17, 2017 03:32PM
I hear you Des, no worries!

It's all good!

Steve

Des D Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> > Des D Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > "I'm not into reading Leeeeeeeeeengthy posts r
> ig
> > ht
> > > now 'cos they're all speculation!"
> >
> > Sorry, Des. My posts usually are on the lengthy
> s
> > ide.
> >
> > I'm just a dinosaur; I can't roll with the twitt
> er
> > generation. My brain doesn't work in "tweets."
> :
> > )
> >
> > Steve
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Not to worry buddy.... I was joshing!!!!!
>
> It's fun, reading the hysteria that will go on for
> months!!!
>
> Des D
September 17, 2017 04:10PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Let's calm down LOL Anyway, the one that was shown
> at Detectival was a prototype and most likely not
> the most recent build(why show an unfinished produ
> ct? many reasons most having to do with reaction o
> f the consumer and sales).
>
> So the screen display(which is going to change) an
> d the way it operates(fine tuning depth, reactivit
> y, etc) and perhaps adjustments to the coil, are a
> ll options that may happen. From my understanding
> and data gathered, this is a new type of tech. To
> compare it based on second hand info, and a few vi
> deos(I watched them all) is just as speculative as
> before the machine was announced.
>
> Release date:
>
> Right now there is a rumor, that it will be releas
> ed on 2/2018. I thinking the machine is much more
> near completion than that. It's a matter of fine t
> uning, final testing, and then making the units. S
> o 6 months I think, is the more extreme case. A go
> od "heads up" will be when dealers are advertising
> it and are taking actual pre-orders. This will tel
> l you when the production of the units will be nea
> r completion.
>
> Believe me, I want this machine as much, if not mo
> re than the next guy, but we are going to have to
> wait.
>
> BTW, if any Minelab people are reading this, pleas
> e fix the onscreen depth meter to reading inches/c
> m instead of the shovel thing PLEASE!!!

"I'm sure the Minelab people read this and other fora! I did when I worked there and every other one as well... it was part of my Job Description...even reading the hobby magazines!

BTW: Kudos to NASA Tom for this thread being the fastest ever! Thanks Tom for providing 'the best platform' for us mere mortals!
Thanks also to 'Ghound' for starting this fastest ever thread!!!"

Des D
September 17, 2017 04:13PM
Des in the wet sand depth is everything.
September 17, 2017 05:04PM
Looks good and Light!!

Thanks goodness the coils are not wireless..

Wonder if the Multi freq is BBS or just the freqs all at once that you can select individually ??Hope its BBS

Look slike minelab still likes those enormous coils for stock...

should be a 6 inch option I hope...

6 inch and 20Khz should be about right for dissecting..

I see a horseshoe icon wonder if that's iron mask on/off??Hope it has full range disc and 99 tones...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 17, 2017 05:07PM
Des D Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> -----
> > This is the fastest growing thread...... in the
> sh
> > ortest period of time....... in the history of t
> hi
> > s web-site! i LOVE to see this much "passion".
> Y
> > es...... this particular forum is loaded with 'e
> xc
> > essive burning passion' detectorists. We detecto
> ri
> > sts are alive-and-well!
> >
> > Yes...... Brandon Niece did make a very bold sta
> te
> > ment about the Equinox being deeper than the CTX
> .
> > I'm sure he is well aware that his word/statemen
> t
> > will carry around the world ..... in an instant.
> ..
> > .. due to the internet. He would lose the worlds
> t
> > rust.... if his statement turns out to be wrong/
> fa
> > lse. I doubt he'd want to do that.
>
>
> "I wouldn't be a bit worried if it's not deeper! D
> epth isn't everything!
> If he made a slip up so what? Easy to do getting c
> aught up in the excitement of the moment!
> But, if he's right???? We had two opposing stateme
> nts Re: waterproof 3 or 10 metres???
> Why o why a lesser model deeper???
>
> Maybe he should be asked to clarify the statement?
> The sooner etc"

I suspect that it's 3 meters, and the 10 meters statement actually meant 10 feet (which is approx. 3 meters).
September 17, 2017 05:13PM
Outflanked? That would imply the opposition was actually still playing ,no?

rustic charm Wrote:
> ozzie Wrote:
> -----
> > Fisher out flanked again. I can picture the Fish
> er
> > engineers throwing their hands up..... scrapping
> t
> > heir latest design.....back to the drawing board
> f
> > olks.
> >
> > Deja Vu.
>
> My thoughts exactly - smileys with beer
September 17, 2017 05:14PM
Be honest, how many targets did those features find you?

deathray Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> -----
> > FE and CO readouts.
> >
> >
> > possum mo Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > For those of you who have the CTX, what does t
> ha
> > t
> > > detector have that the Equinox does not have?
>
> GPS and target trace
September 17, 2017 05:17PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Looks good and Light!!
>
> Thanks goodness the coils are not wireless..
>
>
> Wonder if the Multi freq is BBS or just the freqs
> all at once that you can select individually ??Hop
> e its BBS
>
>
> Look slike minelab still likes those enormous coil
> s for stock...
>
> should be a 6 inch option I hope...
>
> 6 inch and 20Khz should be about right for dissect
> ing..
>
> I see a horseshoe icon wonder if that's iron mask
> on/off??Hope it has full range disc and 99 tones..
> .
>
> Keith

Lol Keith where have you being for the last 33 hours.

Its no BBS of FBS its a new system called Multi IQ

Yes there will be a 6" coil and a 15*12"

The horseshoe is discrimination on or off

Full disc range with 25 tones.
September 17, 2017 05:18PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Des in the wet sand depth is everything.

" I hear you! Am a beach hunter too. But you'd be surprised at the amount of people I've met at Rally events who would never venture on a beach.
The amount of users I've met who said they'd never venture inland is minuscule in comparison to those who don't do sand!"
September 17, 2017 05:25PM
The Equinox is not BBS or FBS tech, their calling their new multifreq technology "Multi-IQ Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Technology"

Also someone thought they didn't have a backlight, but the back of the Equinox box shows that it has a backlight.